Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jan 6, 2016 7:19 AM

Sep 2009
So is anyone else thinking that the sport of Stride is just a relay race mixed with Pichard (I think that's the name, the thing where they constantly jumping through buildings and stuff).

It would make a good action sequence anyway with Madhouse in charge.
Jan 6, 2016 8:18 AM

Nov 2014
Thanks to anime I discover new sports and new fujobaits.

Jan 6, 2016 9:11 AM
Jul 2018
I just want to know what a relationer does.
Jan 6, 2016 9:13 AM

Jul 2012
Tusilos said:
I think she has to give them advice while they run. As seen in episode 1, she advised Riku not to reach the (I forgot the names) checkpoint that quickly?
Jan 6, 2016 11:27 AM
May 2009
komic said:
So is anyone else thinking that the sport of Stride is just a relay race mixed with Pichard (I think that's the name, the thing where they constantly jumping through buildings and stuff).

It's a mix of Relay Racing and Parkour/Free Running.

Tusilos said:

The "Relationer" seems to be in charge of timing. Informing their team mates of when to start running so they can properly tag-out with minimum wasted time.

To expand: Unlike normal relay races, Stride seems to involve the hand-off occurring at speed, but without being able to see your teammate coming. Basically since the secondary runner has to get a running start first, knowing when to start running in order to meet their teammate properly when they are both running asynchronously is important. This is the job of the "Relationer"; to know how long it takes the teammate to get up to speed and reach the hand-off point, and to properly relay the timing needed for the teammates to hand-off cleanly. Since the teammates can't see eachother coming, the third-party is needed.
japzoneJan 6, 2016 11:30 AM
Jan 6, 2016 11:29 AM

Oct 2007
Looks like a spin-off from freerunning/parkour
Jan 6, 2016 11:50 AM

Sep 2009
oh Parkour. thanks. I know it began with a p. :P
Jan 6, 2016 2:14 PM

Dec 2015
I'm dumb but could someone explain to me this "Stride" sport?
I've watched the 1st episode but still didn't got the hold of the "Stride" concept (I got some info about it).
If any good souls are out there, please explain to me.
Thanks!
Jan 6, 2016 2:30 PM

Sep 2009
Masum_Beast said:
I'm dumb but could someone explain to me this "Stride" sport?
I've watched the 1st episode but still didn't got the hold of the "Stride" concept (I got some info about it).
If any good souls are out there, please explain to me.
Thanks!

It seem to be a relay race that incorporates Parkour / Free running.
Jan 6, 2016 3:17 PM

Aug 2013
This sport seems like orienteering for me. I had a classmate in Secondary school and they were doing the exactly the same sport, but they were doing it mostly near forests, so the route went through the woods and from there it went on the streets, between buildings. Also they had a gps device on their wrists, and a radio device on their chests with a headset in their ears. But I can say the same thing: this sport is one variation of parkour.
Jan 7, 2016 4:06 PM
Dec 2014
Does anyone think this could take off as an actual sport? Parkour certainly has but this seems like more of an actual team sport rather than an individual sport. I mean if quidditch could be made possible why not Stride? My main concern is that it seems like they use a lot of technology, how could that be utilized in the real world.
Jan 7, 2016 4:14 PM
Dec 2015
As the guy above you stated, someone has actually done something like this before and used gps system+headsets, much like the anime itself except in the anime there's visualized buildings. Tbh I would hope for this to become a sport, if it did I would train my ass off to be able to play it :P
Jan 7, 2016 4:56 PM
May 2009
CheyanneSaysHii said:
Does anyone think this could take off as an actual sport? Parkour certainly has but this seems like more of an actual team sport rather than an individual sport. I mean if quidditch could be made possible why not Stride? My main concern is that it seems like they use a lot of technology, how could that be utilized in the real world.

It's a completely feasible sport, and surprisingly the anime did a good job of establishing the base rules in episode 1 without any long exposition. The biggest limitation currently would be that to do this in an Urban environment, GPS isn't accurate or reliable enough. So an LPS would have to be setup on the track so that the "Relationer" can properly track their teammates and provide timing. Though if you wanted to go a more low-tech route, all you'd need are walkie-talkies with headsets for the runners, and multiple "Relationers"(one for each hand-off) to provide the timing.

Either way, this would be a sport I'd find really entertaining to watch. As much as I respect runners, most racing sports in general tend to bore me when watching because there isn't a lot of variety going on. You can generally guess who'll be in the top 3 soon after the start, though endurance comes in more on the longer racing sports. Mixing Parkour into Relay Racing though would increase the variety and keep you guessing about who would win, because the multiple paths and traversal methods would make it harder to predict who will win. Reminds me of watching video games like SSX, where despite it being snow board racing the multiple paths and tricks that could be performed kept it entertaining, and provided many chances for competitors to pass each other.
Jan 8, 2016 2:37 PM

Oct 2012
Oh, so that's not REALLY a sport. English is not my first language so I was like what's stride? Is it like running? Like a race? It seems like a relay though... And parkour (?). And now you all just gave me the information I needed to STAY CALM and pay attention to the anime. Also, that's great, right? A new sport. Also gay bait. I'm in love with it already. Also liked the girl. And the colours. Love you, Madhouse.
Jan 12, 2016 5:28 AM

Jan 2016
Laughs honestly the first time I saw the episode I thought it was a Free! remake but have the beautiful boys run :'D
Jan 13, 2016 7:45 PM

Feb 2012
So, is this a shoujo? Cute boys doing cools things?
I think I will pass this.
Jan 15, 2016 6:34 PM
Jan 2014
I still don't get the concept of this sport. Can someone expand it? Thanks!
Jan 16, 2016 2:05 PM
Aug 2012
_yakumo said:
I still don't get the concept of this sport. Can someone expand it? Thanks!

In essence it is a tag team race with two people switching off at a certain point during the race. The use of Parkour is where is differs from a standard race. The idea behind Parkour is getting from point A to point B as quickly as possible maneuvering any obstacles that may be in your way. This is reflected in the shows use of non-traditional routes which they run on.
Feb 2, 2016 6:43 PM
Feb 2016
I wish stride was a real sport, ik it would be an extreme sport but it looks like so much fun! I love parkour but relay is fun as well! It would probably be banned due to people crashing into each other, constant injuries and dying though...
Feb 15, 2016 7:41 PM

Aug 2014
I did think it was something related to Parkour, it does seem really fun but really exhausting.
Feb 15, 2016 7:44 PM
Jan 2016
I wanted to get up and run like the wind after every episode so far, but it was snowing, so i have to wait till summer before letting the inner mustang loose.
Feb 17, 2016 8:35 AM
Feb 2016
So,I watched this anime and basically loved the idea of the sport.Now i would like to play it and create a Stride League in my area,any ideas on how i could recreate the sport?[Biggest problem I'm having is with the GPS systems that show buildings and the players position and the relationers pad that shows all positions]
Feb 17, 2016 7:36 PM
Feb 2016
My friends and I are looking into doing the same thing and running into a similar problem. GPS is not accurate enough for this and getting the communication set up is a challenge as well, while walkie-talkies are a great idea getting them to stay in place without restricting movement may prove to be a challenge. Overall loved the anime and now I want to train harder than I already am.
Feb 19, 2016 3:36 AM
Feb 2016
Well from the top of my head i'd reccomend stage mics[the ones that theatre actors/actresses use].Just need to use one of those phone/ipod holsters that joggers use.The holster should be put on the arm that doesnt make contact with the ground during a roll after a jumping from a high place.then again maybe blue tooth headsets work better.
Feb 23, 2016 10:51 AM
Jun 2008
It's a fun show to watch, while it is a bit more "bishounen" pretty boy than my usual tastes it's not even close to being BL Yaoi crap. So anybody that hasn't given it a chance for that reason I'd suggest trying a couple episodes and THEN formulate an opinion.

Cell phone arm band with Bluetooth headset would make this easy enough, and the relationer could use GPS and camera feed together for tracking. Granted gps accuracy isn't that great, but that would simply make it more challenging.

I think it would make a really fun sport both to do as well as just a spectator.

I'm sure there are a ton of other solutions that could be implemented as GPS alternatives/supplements.
SinvexFeb 23, 2016 10:55 AM
Feb 23, 2016 1:52 PM
Dec 2015
Is stride a real sport??

Feb 23, 2016 8:37 PM
Feb 2016
I guess you are right,Sivnex.Thanks for the input.

Stride isn't a real sport,Bibi-fan.There's just some of us that would like to make it one.So we were just stating our problems in our pursuit to make it a reality.

Does the manga cover all the rules of this sport?
Mar 24, 2016 1:04 PM

Sep 2013
Why aren't you outside running yet?
Apr 4, 2016 9:27 AM
Feb 2016
Like the video ichii_1.Definitely makes me want to go run right at this moment haha.Still got GPS problem to sort out ;P
Apr 4, 2016 9:28 AM

May 2015
I'm surprised that freerunning relays don't already exist. I mean, it's not that hard to set up or learn.
Apr 5, 2016 5:08 PM
Apr 2016
So I'm out here in Florida USA and we just started out stride club and it's a hit. We are having multiple relationers at high points to watch and tell our runners when to go since the technology for relationing is yet to be developed. If anyone can help find the tech to make it happen plz help a fellow out!
Apr 19, 2016 9:25 PM
May 2012
Am I the only one who actually been excited for this?
Mar 9, 2017 12:43 AM
Mar 2017
how about use a call conference to communicate between the runners and the relationer?

then a drone can follow the runners from above so the relationer can see the runners real-time? dunno.. hahahaha

I really wanted this sports to be real. I hope someone can tell us what to use to communicate and navigate. XDD

More topics from this board

Poll: » Prince of Stride: Alternative Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 22, 2016

157 by vadoyager7 »»
Feb 14, 11:50 PM

Poll: » Prince of Stride: Alternative Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 15, 2016

75 by vadoyager7 »»
Feb 10, 8:09 PM

Poll: » Prince of Stride: Alternative Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 8, 2016

53 by vadoyager7 »»
Feb 8, 5:11 AM

Poll: » Prince of Stride: Alternative Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 1, 2016

56 by vadoyager7 »»
Feb 6, 1:18 AM

Poll: » Prince of Stride: Alternative Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 23, 2016

72 by vadoyager7 »»
Jan 27, 9:16 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.