Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Oct 1, 2:28 PM

Jan 2009
What I mean by this thread is that this show's popularity has me intrigued, however, judging from episode 1 it seems like a chill episodic show without much of a plot, which can be good, don't get me wrong, but I'm already watching a bunch of slow shows and I'm looking for something with a moving plot that progresses towards a goal.

Right now I'm torn between watching Steins;Gate 0 and giving Frieren a chance, so what do you think? What should I expect if I choose to watch this one?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 1, 2:35 PM
Jul 2022
The first 4 eps released at once because they were the start of the story it won't really start progressing until 5 if I remember right.
Oct 1, 2:37 PM
Apr 2020
It picks up but it’s slow so keep that in mind.
Oct 1, 2:38 PM

Jan 2009
there is slow plot progression on frieren so ye better drop it
Oct 1, 2:42 PM
Jun 2023
This anime is a bit on the slower side and has more of a relaxed adventure with some of the best writing and characters anime has to offer right now. I think you should put it on hold for now and just watch a shonen and come back when you aren’t burned out from slower plots.
Oct 1, 2:52 PM

Jul 2022
KillerWaffle50 said:
This anime is a bit on the slower side and has more of a relaxed adventure with some of the best writing and characters anime has to offer right now. I think you should put it on hold for now and just watch a shonen and come back when you aren’t burned out from slower plots.

I mean, the fights here are also insane and not slow at all, but they happen way too late for a normal shounen
Oct 1, 3:12 PM
Mind Evaporator

Feb 2017
it gets better and better

trust

i thought the same thing. started as a 7 for me and almost dropped it but i’m glad i didn’t!!
Oct 1, 3:24 PM
Jul 2020
DiabloMask said:
What I mean by this thread is that this show's popularity has me intrigued, however, judging from episode 1 it seems like a chill episodic show without much of a plot, which can be good, don't get me wrong, but I'm already watching a bunch of slow shows and I'm looking for something with a moving plot that progresses towards a goal.

Right now I'm torn between watching Steins;Gate 0 and giving Frieren a chance, so what do you think? What should I expect if I choose to watch this one?

“Judging from episode 1”

Just stop there. Watch the show, if you don’t like it drop it

Oct 1, 3:27 PM
Sep 2024
POV: three countries don't get overthrown in the first episode with the main character being announced as the lord and savior of thy Empire.
Oct 1, 3:27 PM

Sep 2024
I wouldn't say it "gets better," I would say it maintains good story telling, good animation and a good soundtrack throughout. The first four episodes are probably the highest overall quality given that they were originally made as a 2 hour movie special, but it still does very well once it switches to series mode.

I wouldn't say it's slow, but it's certainly not over-the-top loud with unnecessary yelling like some stereotypical anime and it won't delve into bento boxes, bath-houses and beaches if for some reason those are a requirement for you.

You generally need to pay attention so if you need over-stimulation to keep tuned in, it may not be the show for you. If you're watching the dub, I'd say it's a bit more monotone in general and doesn't really deliver the same emotional undercurrent as the original voice acting -- but that's kind of the case with most dubs, so those that prefer them are probably used to it.
sadoldmanOct 1, 3:30 PM
Oct 1, 3:43 PM

Jan 2009
Reply to KillerWaffle50
@KillerWaffle50

This seems like the response I was looking for, thanks, I'll probably do that.
Oct 1, 3:46 PM

Jan 2009
Reply to Linx_0
DiabloMask said:

“Judging from episode 1”

Just stop there. Watch the show, if you don’t like it drop it
@Linx_0

Dude, there's more to people than just "me like" or "me no like".
Oct 1, 3:49 PM

Sep 2014
I would save this show for when you're itching for something casual and sweet. If you're not feeling that type of show right now, you'll not enjoy it as much as you could.
Oct 1, 3:51 PM

Jan 2009
Reply to sadoldman
I wouldn't say it "gets better," I would say it maintains good story telling, good animation and a good soundtrack throughout. The first four episodes are probably the highest overall quality given that they were originally made as a 2 hour movie special, but it still does very well once it switches to series mode.

I wouldn't say it's slow, but it's certainly not over-the-top loud with unnecessary yelling like some stereotypical anime and it won't delve into bento boxes, bath-houses and beaches if for some reason those are a requirement for you.

You generally need to pay attention so if you need over-stimulation to keep tuned in, it may not be the show for you. If you're watching the dub, I'd say it's a bit more monotone in general and doesn't really deliver the same emotional undercurrent as the original voice acting -- but that's kind of the case with most dubs, so those that prefer them are probably used to it.
@sadoldman

Okay, I don't understand where the bento boxes and bath houses part came from, but I wasn't talking about over-the-top loud shows, I was only asking if the show has a plot that progresses throughout its run or is mostly slow and episodic, that's really all this is about.

The rest of your comment was helpful, so thanks.
Oct 1, 3:53 PM

Jan 2009
Reply to Chaimello
I would save this show for when you're itching for something casual and sweet. If you're not feeling that type of show right now, you'll not enjoy it as much as you could.
@Chaimello

Thanks, this actually answers my question clearly!
Oct 1, 4:02 PM
Jul 2024
The show does have an end goal but for the most part it’s episodic mini adventures exploring the characters and their dynamics. Don’t get me wrong, the show is amazing, it just might not be what you’re looking for right now.
Oct 1, 4:12 PM
Aug 2024
if you're looking for action you won't get much until like episode 6 or 7. The most action happens during the second half of the season imo. The show's pretty relaxed when there's no action, honestly I'd say at least 60% of it is relaxed. But the action is awesome.
Oct 1, 4:19 PM

Mar 2024
Reply to DiabloMask
@sadoldman

Okay, I don't understand where the bento boxes and bath houses part came from, but I wasn't talking about over-the-top loud shows, I was only asking if the show has a plot that progresses throughout its run or is mostly slow and episodic, that's really all this is about.

@DiabloMask The show has a plot that progresses throughout its run, and it's not episodic. There are episodes where "practically nothing happens" but these are also relevant for the overall plot. The action elements increase through the show.
Oct 1, 4:22 PM

Sep 2024
Reply to DiabloMask
@sadoldman

@DiabloMask Sorry, by the lack bento boxes and bath-houses I'm saying it generally avoids or subverts typical anime tropes that can come along with other anime that are labeled "slice of life," but it also doesn't have a constant drum beat and over-explanations of any goals like a typical shonen.

It's not going to try to give you mind-bending plots but it does give the characters goals, both implied and eventually flat out said, that are more a plot device to explore the ups and downs of being human -- love, loss, hate, etc.

There is some action spattered throughout, but if you're not hooked by episode 3, I'd probably wait for a time when episode 1 feels a little more than simply "chill" to you.
Oct 1, 4:27 PM

Mar 2024
I'll just put it like this: I very much liked this show from the start, but when it reached episode 8 I started to think, "this might seriously be the best anime that ever aired."
Oct 1, 5:15 PM

Jul 2017
its like Kobayashi san on steroids, slice of life on paper but goes hard as duck when it wants to
Oct 1, 5:19 PM

Apr 2020
Nah. Everyones wrong. This Show actually sucks and you're one of the first people who's seen through it :)
And you only needed one Episode to do it.

Well done. 🤡
Oct 1, 5:45 PM
Feb 2018
People need to learn that calm isn't the same as slow.
Oct 1, 5:51 PM

Jan 2019
It's not really a plot driven story, it's very melancholic and a big theme is enjoying the time you spend with others rather than saving the world like a lot of fantasy.

Oct 1, 6:03 PM
Nov 2019
Frieren is in the early episodes is how the entire series is like which isn’t bad like you said but if you want an engaging story with really good character development, I would say carry onto Steins;gate 0. If you want really good worldbuilding and you liked the early episodes, stay with Frieren.
Oct 1, 6:11 PM
Sep 2024
Reply to ForeverTraitor
It's not really a plot driven story, it's very melancholic and a big theme is enjoying the time you spend with others rather than saving the world like a lot of fantasy.
@ForeverTraitor

What are you even talking about?

Frieren is a plot driven story, but it also goes into other themes:

Frieren: Beyond Journey's End delves into the regrets and joys of the nostalgic past conveying the idea that time is limited odyssey that ought to be treasured dearly. Frieren's journey that is contrasted with her current voyage encourages readers to roam into their past and find conclusions and answers they have previously left ignored.

Oct 1, 6:17 PM

Feb 2021
I mean it is the "greateast anime of all time", so it should be better than any other anime you have ever watched
Oct 1, 6:23 PM

Mar 2023
what about the first episode makes it seem episodic and plotless
Oct 1, 6:26 PM
Sep 2024
Reply to 1crusty
what about the first episode makes it seem episodic and plotless
@1crusty

The fact that she didn't take down three countries, fight a demon general, and reach the end of her second journey after meeting Frieren and Stark. Then, the author should have added the system, and create many stronger enemies that are evil, but just didn't show themselves until they could fight people who could beat them. Also, the universe and parallel universes aren't on the line for every fight; not enough stakes.
Oct 1, 7:20 PM
Apr 2021
No idea why this show is currently the "number 1". I mean, I can see why people would enjoy it, but I don't think it deserves the high score it's getting. Personally, I'm not a big fan, especially when it comes to the second half of the show
Oct 1, 7:24 PM

Apr 2015
Reply to Hiim00hiii
@1crusty

The fact that she didn't take down three countries, fight a demon general, and reach the end of her second journey after meeting Frieren and Stark. Then, the author should have added the system, and create many stronger enemies that are evil, but just didn't show themselves until they could fight people who could beat them. Also, the universe and parallel universes aren't on the line for every fight; not enough stakes.
@Hiim00hiii Funnily enough, this show did offer huge elements for power fantasy enjoyers, which I actually believe is a good portion of its fanbase, disguised as "cult" enthusiasts.
Oct 1, 7:41 PM
Sep 2024
Reply to ShadowUnown
@Hiim00hiii Funnily enough, this show did offer huge elements for power fantasy enjoyers, which I actually believe is a good portion of its fanbase, disguised as "cult" enthusiasts.
@ShadowUnown

And that power fantasy portion was done perfectly.

Oct 1, 7:43 PM
Sep 2024
Reply to Himmels22
No idea why this show is currently the "number 1". I mean, I can see why people would enjoy it, but I don't think it deserves the high score it's getting. Personally, I'm not a big fan, especially when it comes to the second half of the show
@Himmels22

That's because you are simply watching it wrong.
Oct 1, 8:50 PM
Jul 2024
Just watch it till episode 9, don’t like it then drop it
Oct 1, 8:54 PM
Apr 2015
by episode 6 or 7 you'll have seen everything the show has. it's consistent, I'll give it that, but giving 10s for consistency seems weird. there are no peaks or valleys, it's all fine.
Oct 1, 10:54 PM
Jul 2024
MadanielFL said:
I mean it is the "greateast anime of all time", so it should be better than any other anime you have ever watched

This is prolly sarcasm but being a fan of the anime, I say that it doesn’t deserve number 1 on MAL. The question is tho, which anime does deserve number 1?
Oct 1, 11:36 PM
Jul 2024
someguy said:
MadanielFL said:

This is prolly sarcasm but being a fan of the anime, I say that it doesn’t deserve number 1 on MAL. The question is tho, which anime does deserve number 1?

That would be FLCL
Oct 1, 11:54 PM
Jul 2024
glasssmoon said:
someguy said:

That would be FLCL

Oh I’ve heard of that one. I personally would give 1st place to Kaguya Sama, atleast on my list. There’s literally nothing bad abt it in my opinion (in the anime). I’m aware that there are stuff better than it tho.
Oct 2, 3:47 AM

Jan 2019
Hiim00hiii said:
@ForeverTraitor

Frieren: Beyond Journey's End delves into the regrets and joys of the nostalgic past conveying the idea that time is limited odyssey that ought to be treasured dearly. Frieren's journey that is contrasted with her current voyage encourages readers to roam into their past and find conclusions and answers they have previously left ignored.

Did you get chatgpt to generate that for you lmao

Oct 2, 3:47 AM
Sep 2022
People should stop asking this dumbass question
Just find out yourself by watching it
Oct 2, 4:03 AM
Jul 2022
Frieren is probably the great anime I have ever seen.
And I’ve easily watched over 200 series.
Oct 2, 4:20 AM
Dec 2020
picks up at episode 6 tbh
Oct 2, 8:20 AM
Jul 2024
someguy said:
glasssmoon said:

That would be FLCL

Oh I’ve heard of that one. I personally would give 1st place to Kaguya Sama, atleast on my list. There’s literally nothing bad abt it in my opinion (in the anime). I’m aware that there are stuff better than it tho.

No that's fair lol you don't have to explain yourself
Oct 2, 8:31 AM

Sep 2016
The journey is the plot.

The battle arcs are from episode 7-10 and 18-26
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Oct 2, 10:59 AM
Sep 2024
Reply to ForeverTraitor
Hiim00hiii said:
@ForeverTraitor

Did you get chatgpt to generate that for you lmao
@ForeverTraitor

Stop insulting my writing.
Oct 2, 1:31 PM
Sep 2024
People have their own tastes. I thought it was pretty good overal. Is it worth the number one spot imo, no, but I rarely think most of the top shows “deserve” their spots.

I preferred the first half, when the show was a slow exploration of Frieren’s (both literal and emotional/symbolic) journey. I lost interest in the second half, where the mostly-episodic structure was replaced by a generic competition arc, and most of the time was spent exploring the backstories and powers of characters I didn’t care about.

And even then it was fine, from a quality standpoint. But I wasn’t looking for a battle shounen show, so it was disappointing for me.
Oct 2, 2:26 PM
Nov 2016
This anime starts slow with plenty of Slice of Life stuff, gets pretty good in episodes 7-10 (it's the peak of this anime IMHO), then it gets slow again with more Slice of Life stuff, and then gets good again in the last few episodes.

Is this anime worth it? yes, it is, but it's still overrated as hell, I don't believe it deserves the #1 spot, that being said, it's a nice anime with pretty good production quality and nice animation, it's just that it's way too slow IMHO with a lot of Slice of Life stuff but other than that, it's good.

I rate it an 8/10.
Oct 2, 2:58 PM
Sep 2024
DiabloMask said:

Steins;Gate 0 is nothing like Steins;Gate. You should watch Frieren, the hype is not for nothing. The show does have an intended slow pace to it but you'll get intrigued by episode 7.

Frieren will have you in your feels.
Oct 2, 3:10 PM
Nov 2023
The show is meant to be a slow burner, keep in mind. But it’s really good overall. I don’t think it’s better than Fmab yet.
Oct 2, 4:14 PM
Oct 2022
Are you picking strictly based on popularity and score or do you pick shows with genres you already like?

It's chill over all with spikes of pretty hype moments. If chill isn't for you (or just isn't for you with your current mix of shows), you might want to pass or wait on this show.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» S2 has not been greenlit. IP is not promising. ( 1 2 3 4 )

Okeanix - Jul 27

178 by aurora_yuuki »»
9 hours ago

Poll: » Sousou no Frieren Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Oct 6, 2023

245 by NillyPC »»
Yesterday, 8:59 AM

Poll: » Sousou no Frieren Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

KANLen09 - Sep 29, 2023

331 by NillyPC »»
Yesterday, 8:35 AM

Poll: » Sousou no Frieren Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 29, 2023

256 by NillyPC »»
Yesterday, 7:42 AM

Poll: » Sousou no Frieren Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 29, 2023

307 by NillyPC »»
Yesterday, 7:17 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.