Forum Settings
Forums

Does the way we use the terms "overrated/underrated" even make sense?

New
8 hours ago

Feb 2014
Most of the time we aren't even talking about "ratings" when we use the term, but rather "popularity".
Not only that, it's usually more fueled by emotion than anything.

In practice, we don't use "overrated" as the inverse of "underrated", but rather as the inverse of "overHATED".
Terms like "underrated" and "underHATED" aren't that used because they require a bit more of "finesse" to the discussion: Let's all agree that no one usually says "This one deserves a 2/10 rather than a 4/10".

I just noticed this because I also noticed that it's been quite a while since I used the terms for... anything, really.
Instead of saying "The Drake's Sword in DS1 is overrated" it makes more sense for me to say "It is a noob trap".
Same goes for MAL scores: Sure, in theory "Frieren" deserves the title "overrated" since I don't think it deserves number one spot, but in practice I don't really care because MAL scores aren't hard objective science, but rather a "general feeling" signifier, and I don't disagree with the "general feeling" of "Frieren good".

What's your opinion on this?
7 hours ago

Nov 2022
"Overrated" = I don't like x so anyone who likes is rating it higher than it deserves

"Underrated" is the other way round. People use terms and buzzwords in the most convenient way possible. Same with "elitism"
7 hours ago

Jul 2024
I don't think about scores, I just watch anime for fun, enjoyment, motivation and escapism. Critical thoughts about something tangible as ratings and scores only takes away from the enjoyment factor..

By focusing on what truly matters to me, I'm able to fully immerse myself in the stories and relate deeply with the characters and love all the waifu more, without being influenced by external factors like scores and opinions like overrated or overhated.

Critical thoughts from ratings and opinions of others overshadow the personal connection and enjoyment one can have with a series. My method allows me to discover hidden gems and form my own unique opinions and experiences.

Hevn is one of the hottest waifu I've ever seen in anime but not many people know her. They like Rem who is a 2/10 over someone who is 9/10.. That's how other people's opinions effect enjoyment of art and beauty
5 hours ago

Jun 2024
Reply to RainyEvenings
I don't think about scores, I just watch anime for fun, enjoyment, motivation and escapism. Critical thoughts about something tangible as ratings and scores only takes away from the enjoyment factor..

By focusing on what truly matters to me, I'm able to fully immerse myself in the stories and relate deeply with the characters and love all the waifu more, without being influenced by external factors like scores and opinions like overrated or overhated.

Critical thoughts from ratings and opinions of others overshadow the personal connection and enjoyment one can have with a series. My method allows me to discover hidden gems and form my own unique opinions and experiences.

Hevn is one of the hottest waifu I've ever seen in anime but not many people know her. They like Rem who is a 2/10 over someone who is 9/10.. That's how other people's opinions effect enjoyment of art and beauty
@RainyEvenings True we watch something for entertament and not to be crtics we watch because of fun and enjoyment dosen'r matter if is underated or not that why there many hidden gem because not all people care about it.
5 hours ago

Feb 2016
I noticed you focused your discussion on "overrated." I don't think your theory holds true for "underrated" anime. The majority of entries on this site have both low scores and low popularity, such as this series I recently finished.
https://myanimelist.net/anime/6868/Wansa-kun
Basically, anything one likes truly is underrated if it is not at least moderately popular.
その目だれの目?
4 hours ago
Nov 2019
this is a good question actually, if you ask me these words are so overused. we can never ever come to a consensus purely because these things are subjective (and im sure more than 90% of people who consume content only care about their own enjoyment as opposed to actual objective criticism. as humans it's very hard to be objective anyways)

like say "anime x is overrated", an argument for someone who thinks otherwise can be "if it's overrated it wouldn't do so well in ratings, viewership blah blah blah"

so if you ask me, no it doesn't make sense at all
3 hours ago

Feb 2014
Reply to Lucifrost
I noticed you focused your discussion on "overrated." I don't think your theory holds true for "underrated" anime. The majority of entries on this site have both low scores and low popularity, such as this series I recently finished.
https://myanimelist.net/anime/6868/Wansa-kun
Basically, anything one likes truly is underrated if it is not at least moderately popular.
@Lucifrost
I wonder what's the cause of that.
Misuse of the system?
Niche/unpopular anime attracting a more "critical" (In the bad sense) audience?
3 hours ago

Feb 2020
Both of those words are extremely overused.
3 hours ago
Aug 2024
That's exactly why I use the term 'under appreciated' rather than underrated. Like for example if someone says 'Rakugo Shinji' is underrated while it has rating of 8.5 it makes less sense. Same goes for some so called overrated animes. But there can be times when a title can actually be underrated or overrated based on its rating. Still that depends on individual perspective
l_Photon_l2 hours ago
34 minutes ago

Sep 2018
Reply to thewiru
@Lucifrost
I wonder what's the cause of that.
Misuse of the system?
Niche/unpopular anime attracting a more "critical" (In the bad sense) audience?
@thewiru the most popular anime are popular precisely because they're watched by the majority of beginners/newcomers/casuals who rate everything highly. Expert users are more in need of using the whole 1-10 rating scale since they have more entries to spread across it, which means that the score of less popular anime isn't going to be inflated.

Some MAL users literally rate everything they watch 10/10: probably because they don't care about ranking the anime in their lists, so they might as well try to boost the scores of the anime they liked and completed. This basically increases the correlation between popularity and scores.
18 minutes ago

Jan 2009
yep youre correct most of the time when fans call something overrated they mean overpopular

More topics from this board

» How frequent do you change your ship?

SgtBateMan - 13 minutes ago

1 by Serafos »»
13 minutes ago

» Which anime has your favorite character designs?

Rally- - 9 hours ago

32 by KeepCalmAndMal »»
17 minutes ago

» Post stuff that reminds u of the old anime days where it was so simple and we were just kinds lost in love

Krystopher - Aug 24

11 by Ricchan__ »»
34 minutes ago

» 🎖️Best Protagonist of all time & discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

nirererin - Aug 16

753 by ToG25thBaam »»
1 hour ago

» Are moe blob elves more popular and beloved than high elves?

Catalano - Sep 29

27 by Serafos »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.