Forum Settings
Forums
New
10 hours ago
Feb 2015
The first season of Higurashi is the only anime I’ve seen that actually spooked me. The mystery combined with the fact anyone could die at any second, plus the gruesomeness and unpredictability of it, really spooked me. I’ve seen other horror animes like Another that didn’t really do it for me. The second season of Higurashi wasn’t nearly as scary as the first season though, the fact the disease was actually a curse instead of something more sci-fi was a missed opportunity imo.
10 hours ago

Feb 2020
"Is Higurashi the scariest anime?"

One of the scariest for sure.
10 hours ago
Feb 2015
I haven’t seen Shiki yet I’ve seen that on lists.
10 hours ago

Feb 2020
Reply to Krystopher
I haven’t seen Shiki yet I’ve seen that on lists.
@Krystopher I think Higurashi is more scary than Shiki.
10 hours ago

Jan 2020
It is pretty scary indeed, the scariest though? I think there could be scarier stuff.
MOKUSHI KUSHIMO SHIMOKU KUMOSHI MOSHIKU SHIKUMO.
10 hours ago
Feb 2015
Reply to Serafos
@Krystopher I think Higurashi is more scary than Shiki.
@Serafos what are some others that are just as scary as Higurashi? Are there any?
10 hours ago

Feb 2020
Reply to Krystopher
@Serafos what are some others that are just as scary as Higurashi? Are there any?
@Krystopher I haven't seen many truly scary anime, so I'm not sure.
10 hours ago

Sep 2020
no it's not the scariest anime ever.
10 hours ago
Feb 2015
Reply to Rndmguypassingby
no it's not the scariest anime ever.
@Rndmguypassingby So what is?…a few others I’ve heard of sound scary like Happy Sugar Life and School-Live, are those better?
10 hours ago

Feb 2020
Reply to Krystopher
@Rndmguypassingby So what is?…a few others I’ve heard of sound scary like Happy Sugar Life and School-Live, are those better?
@Krystopher Gakkougurashi! a.k.a School-Live is my favorite horror anime simply because I like its story very much, but I don't think it's particularly scary either except for a couple of episodes/scenes.
10 hours ago

Jul 2024
I think Shiki was scarier than higurashi.
10 hours ago

Mar 2008
Another made me laugh in some scenes

I don't know most but Higurashi did a good job at being uncomfortable in some scenes. I found the torture the worst.

There was one episode of Ghost Hunt that was scary. Most of the rest isnt very horror like more laid back.

Some episodes of Dark Gathering are pretty disturbing sometimes.

Some of the segments in Yami Shibai are good at being quite creepy but most arent.

Boogiepop Phantom (the original one) was confusing kind of creepy eeriness largely from the good atmosphere.

I also enjoyed Aragne no Mushikago but I feel they had lost opportunity in more experimental animation it could have attempted but the look is cool still despite cgi insects. The followup movie I found less scary and didnt like the art style as much.

Monster is pretty disturbing but that is more a psychological thing so it is a different kind of scary.

Mieruko-chan is somewhat scary but only under the condition you place yourself in her position to understand how much danger and vulnerability she feels so depends on you. Many people didnt find it scary at all.

I didn't think Corpse Party was very scary just gorey.

I barely even remember Shiki for some reason.
9 hours ago

Sep 2020
Reply to Krystopher
@Krystopher tbh i have never really found any of the horror anime to be scary, there maybe some episodes of said anime or some scenes that are creepy but not the entire anime as a whole
9 hours ago

Oct 2013
More creepy than scary I would say. I haven't seen the newer stuff though.
9 hours ago

Mar 2021
girls last tour
made in abyss
nagatoro-san
8 hours ago

Dec 2012
Horror anime aren't scary, but the Ghost Hunt came closest with a few of it's arcs, like the dollhouse arc and the vampire house.
"The name's Gambit. Remember it."
-Gambit "X-Men '97"

6 hours ago
Feb 2015
Reply to Kruszer
Horror anime aren't scary, but the Ghost Hunt came closest with a few of it's arcs, like the dollhouse arc and the vampire house.
@Kruszer I just watched the 4 bloodstained labyrinth episodes and they are kinda creepy but way too dragged out and not nearly as creepy as Higurashi Season 1.
6 hours ago

Jul 2015
There is no such thing as a scary anime.
5 hours ago
Jan 2021
i've never felt scared watching anime but these i consider creepy and disturbing, that makes feel uneasy
technolyze, shiki, mouryou no hako
5 hours ago

Sep 2016
I found this pretty scary: https://myanimelist.net/anime/13125/Shinsekai_yori
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
5 hours ago
Feb 2015
Reply to Zarutaku
@Zarutaku I’ve seen that it was more confusing than anything else imo
5 hours ago

Jul 2021
There aren't really any scary anime out there.
5 hours ago

Jul 2021
Reply to Krystopher
@Zarutaku I’ve seen that it was more confusing than anything else imo
@Krystopher Wait what? They rather explicitly spelled out all the important plot points.
5 hours ago
Feb 2015
Reply to JaniSIr
@Krystopher Wait what? They rather explicitly spelled out all the important plot points.
@JaniSIr I might have to rewatch it I don’t know why but the entire thing got disappeared from my memory even after looking up youtube videos of it, but the fact I don’t remember it is kinda scary!
5 hours ago

Aug 2020
Maybe not. It's more "unnerving" than "scary". But i have watched the first 2 eps of Betterman and they were quite scary. If you're into Lovecraftian horror then watch Yukikaze but i also wouldn't recommend it if you're not into highly analytical stories. If you're into shows with scary-disturbing looking imageries then watch Shinreigari. It's also similar to Higurashi in some ways.
4 hours ago

Nov 2019
Horror trying too hard to be scary just come off as super corny. Mononoke stands out for its unnerving character dilemmas and God tier atmosphere that you could slice with a knife. Way more so than Higurashi was me. Also, Perfect Blue if you want to go down the Psychological Horror route.
Don't let others ruin things for you. Even if a toxic fan pisses in your cereal, you could just get another bowl of cereal.
My Anime List - My Manga List

More topics from this board

» What sensitive content do you want to see more of in Anime?

Dragevard - 11 hours ago

7 by deg »»
1 minute ago

» What is going on with anime fixation on breasts?

SgtBateMan - 5 hours ago

45 by SgtBateMan »»
2 minutes ago

» Is Legend of the Galactic Heros deep? Is it one of the best animes?

Krystopher - 5 hours ago

19 by AMBITZZ »»
10 minutes ago

» 🎖️Best Protagonist of all time & discussion ( 1 2 )

nirererin - Yesterday

83 by A83L »»
12 minutes ago

Sticky: » AWC 2024 Anime Watching Challenge - Sign-Up (Open Until December 10th) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

AWC_mod - Jan 1

1106 by BardiaRo »»
16 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.