Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jun 18, 2:09 PM
Jun 2021
how easy/hard/complicated is the show? without spoilers, what to expect?
Jun 18, 2:12 PM

Sep 2016
Fairly hard to follow compared to most other Anime.

ZarutakuJun 18, 2:19 PM
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Jun 18, 2:16 PM
Apr 2019
Id say the main plot is pretty simple,but if you dont get it,theres a million yt explanation videos .its really good try it!
Jun 18, 2:21 PM
Jun 2021
Reply to Zarutaku
Fairly hard to follow compared to most other Anime.

@Zarutaku whys that? hard to keep up with or understand?
Jun 18, 2:21 PM
Feb 2015
if you're asking questions like that its already over ngl
Jun 18, 2:25 PM

Sep 2016
Reply to Rabnawaz2
@Zarutaku whys that? hard to keep up with or understand?
@Rabnawaz2 Because it's surreal with weird narration.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Jun 18, 2:33 PM
Mar 2021
Rabnawaz2 said:

Anyone who claims they know exactly what is happening or what everything means is just trying to act smart. The show is extremely abstract and there are a million different ways to interpret the different things that happen and what the different entites and their actions could represent.

Expect to need to watch some videos afterwards explaining the conclusions some people have come to because otherwise, you'll finish the show with many many questions.
Jun 18, 3:08 PM
Dec 2022
Rabnawaz2 said:

Not that complex if you know bit of psychology (at least surface level) or philosophy. That is, if you want a more thematic comprehension. For, basic plot, it’s decently complex depending how much experience you have with anime.
Jun 18, 4:11 PM
Jan 2020
my recommendations: (they are similar works)

Serial Experiments Lain
Boogiepop Phantom
Ergo Proxy
Wolf's Rain
Casshern Sins
Shigofumi
Haibane Renmei
Texhnolyze
Mnemosyne
Paranoia Agent
Mononoke
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Hellsing
Black Blood Brothers
Gankutsuou
Trinity Blood
Phantom: Requiem for the phatom
Speed Grapher
Baccano!
Nana
Blue Gender
Solty Rei
Witch Hunter Robin
Canaan
Helt Guy J
Jun 18, 4:13 PM

Apr 2015
And you don't seem to understand

I watched it when I was 12, even if you don't get 100% of everything you'll have a good time.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Jun 18, 4:16 PM
Jun 2021
Reply to CatSoul
And you don't seem to understand

I watched it when I was 12, even if you don't get 100% of everything you'll have a good time.
@CatSoul Lain's 1st episode seemed easy to enough to understand icl (just checked it out)
Jun 18, 5:31 PM
Mar 2024
This is one of those anime’s that come off pretentious but in my opinion really isn’t the premise is actually really simple it just seems complex because of the pacing,themes, and dialogue on top of that it is very eccentric which makes it really confusing I don’t want to say to much and accidentally spoil it but as long as you understand the main theme that it’s trying to get across which like said I personally thought wasn’t to hard to understand you should be fine, Serial experiments lain is top 5 anime’s of all time for me but even now there’s still some parts from it that I don’t fully understand. Definitely recommend you watch it
Jun 18, 6:51 PM
Jun 2022
Lain is very cryptic.
I'd suggest watching it at least twice to understand what the heck is happening.
Jun 18, 10:02 PM
Oct 2008
Rabnawaz2 said:

You need at least 2-3 runs to grasp most of the show.
Jun 18, 10:31 PM

Nov 2020
To me this show is less concerned about telling a direct narrative (though that is certainly there, even if hard to see on a first viewing) and more interested in capturing a feeling. That’s at least why I and many others felt attached to it on the first watch. I’d say don’t stress out too much about being confused on your first viewing, and if you want to know more concrete readings afterwards, there are tons of analysis videos with vastly different angles to dig into.
Jun 18, 10:39 PM

Mar 2008
The main plot is not difficult to get if you dont try to make sense of the weirder parts. It just is it is more of something meant to explore in depth rather than just watching the anime only. Researching on topics brought up in the show and going through the PSX game and the one shot manga is part of the experience but you dont have to to get the main stuff, you just will have trouble getting some of the philosophy and symbolism.
Jun 18, 10:41 PM

Apr 2022
Rabnawaz2 said:

The story is not that complex as many people assume it is. The real complexity lies on the delivery, execution, surreal visuals, and vague symbolism.

If you are truly invested in the show, you will eventually understand what is it about and trust me the story is not that complicated.

Maybe watch yt videos or rewatch multiple times to understand Lain fully
Jun 18, 11:32 PM
Mar 2021
Rabnawaz2 said:

you can understand the main plot but it is super hard to understand everything in first watch
Jun 19, 6:51 AM
Jan 2021
Just a heads up: This is the kind of show you‘ll have to watch a couple of times to fully understand. Even if you don‘t „get it“ at first it‘ll be a fascinating watch!
Jun 19, 6:57 AM
Jun 2021
Reply to pinku_pantsu69
Just a heads up: This is the kind of show you‘ll have to watch a couple of times to fully understand. Even if you don‘t „get it“ at first it‘ll be a fascinating watch!
@pinku_pantsu69 i will challenge myself to understand it one attempt
ep 1 was easy
Jun 19, 7:12 AM

Feb 2024
Reply to ReMightyRon
my recommendations: (they are similar works)

Serial Experiments Lain
Boogiepop Phantom
Ergo Proxy
Wolf's Rain
Casshern Sins
Shigofumi
Haibane Renmei
Texhnolyze
Mnemosyne
Paranoia Agent
Mononoke
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Hellsing
Black Blood Brothers
Gankutsuou
Trinity Blood
Phantom: Requiem for the phatom
Speed Grapher
Baccano!
Nana
Blue Gender
Solty Rei
Witch Hunter Robin
Canaan
Helt Guy J
@ReMightyRon

Why the hell are you giving recommendations and why did you put Lain at the top when it's already the subject of the thread?
Jun 19, 7:31 AM
Jun 2021
Reply to JoeChip
@ReMightyRon

Why the hell are you giving recommendations and why did you put Lain at the top when it's already the subject of the thread?
@JoeChip lmao if only i had the energy to watch all that
Jun 19, 8:31 AM
Jan 2020
JoeChip said:
@ReMightyRon

Because I enjoy sending recommendations, because SEL is my top 1# favorite anime of all time!
Jun 19, 9:40 AM

Sep 2014
this show is cool. it's abstract, multi-layered, and bizarre. but you can watch it and not fully understand, and then head to reddit or something to figure out what was going on the whole time. I watched this hella long ago and didn't fully get it but it was still a great watch.
Jun 19, 11:08 AM
Jan 2022
Rabnawaz2 said:

I had to watch about 6 hours of YouTube video essays to fully understand The anime
Jun 19, 11:50 AM
Jun 2021
Reply to Chaimello
this show is cool. it's abstract, multi-layered, and bizarre. but you can watch it and not fully understand, and then head to reddit or something to figure out what was going on the whole time. I watched this hella long ago and didn't fully get it but it was still a great watch.
@StarryyChai im already loving it
Jun 19, 12:55 PM

Sep 2014
Rabnawaz2 said:
@StarryyChai im already loving it

that's great I'm so glad you like it so far!
Jun 19, 1:52 PM

Apr 2015
Go with an open mind. It's okay if you don't understand everything. It's supposed to be like that, Like a trippy experience. I'd advise to binge it all in one day for maximum enjoyment xD
Jun 19, 2:13 PM

Apr 2012
It's not the kind of story which has a correct understanding with some fixed difficulty of reaching it. There's a degree of working things out, but for the most part, Lain is an interpretative story, you decide for yourself what to draw from it. Avoiding "one truth" kind of thinking is of prime importance.
Jun 19, 2:21 PM
Jun 2021
Reply to Biisoo
Go with an open mind. It's okay if you don't understand everything. It's supposed to be like that, Like a trippy experience. I'd advise to binge it all in one day for maximum enjoyment xD
@Biisoo lmao here i was doing the slow approach with one episode a day
Jun 20, 3:04 AM
Dec 2021
Cool concept, odd confusing execution of it
Jun 20, 8:38 AM

Apr 2015
Rabnawaz2 said:

Ayo lmao, Don't do that. Lain is a show whose impact increases as you binge it because it keeps piling on this massive hysteria and confusion onto you. It's better if you watch it without processing it, It's not an anime to be taken at face value. It is a surreal experience tbh, Like Perfect Blue which is one of my favourite movies of all time.
Jun 20, 9:53 AM
Jun 2021
Reply to Biisoo
Rabnawaz2 said:

Ayo lmao, Don't do that. Lain is a show whose impact increases as you binge it because it keeps piling on this massive hysteria and confusion onto you. It's better if you watch it without processing it, It's not an anime to be taken at face value. It is a surreal experience tbh, Like Perfect Blue which is one of my favourite movies of all time.
@Biisoo Bro im gonna be honest, you are probably right but I just can't binge anything, I have to take extra and extreme actions just to make sure my attention is not interrupted by my never ending spiriling thoughts lmao. One episode = 1 hour mental rest, go for a walk etc. and then come back for the next episode or have something to eat, i have a bad attention deficit without any fault of my own, i even forget things like my keys, belongings etc. I must write everything i experience down
Jun 21, 10:47 AM
Nov 2021
man you are not ready for whats to come ill tell ya that haha
Jun 21, 10:57 AM
Jun 2021
Reply to Wizzyard
man you are not ready for whats to come ill tell ya that haha
@Wizzyard gonna try and finish it today - i get it tbh. but still things im confused with
Jun 22, 10:01 AM
Jul 2022
If you get stuck trying to understand every little weird thing (which are a lot of them), instead of trying to get it as a whole, you will never understand it, in my first watch I got the whole plot, but yeah still today if I dig into the anime again I will always see something new I did not got on the previous times, which is a good thing to be honest, my point is, the main plot is easy to understand, the psychological topics discussed through surrealism are hard to understand, and it was maded so, bc come on is surrealism, but you will get it, and if not thats fine, you will get it someday
Jun 22, 10:03 AM
Jul 2022
Hacker075 said:
Rabnawaz2 said:

Anyone who claims they know exactly what is happening or what everything means is just trying to act smart. The show is extremely abstract and there are a million different ways to interpret the different things that happen and what the different entites and their actions could represent.

Expect to need to watch some videos afterwards explaining the conclusions some people have come to because otherwise, you'll finish the show with many many questions.

Are not those ppl who does videos about the conclusion and stuff trying to act smart as you said about?
Jun 22, 11:17 AM
Jun 2021
Reply to youngkaneda
If you get stuck trying to understand every little weird thing (which are a lot of them), instead of trying to get it as a whole, you will never understand it, in my first watch I got the whole plot, but yeah still today if I dig into the anime again I will always see something new I did not got on the previous times, which is a good thing to be honest, my point is, the main plot is easy to understand, the psychological topics discussed through surrealism are hard to understand, and it was maded so, bc come on is surrealism, but you will get it, and if not thats fine, you will get it someday
@youngkaneda finished it, it wasn't too hard to understand once i studied the lore
Jun 22, 2:51 PM
Mar 2021
youngkaneda said:
Hacker075 said:

Are not those ppl who does videos about the conclusion and stuff trying to act smart as you said about?

No because (based on the ones I've seen) they specifically state that they have only theorised and are not certain at all whether their interpretation is accurate.

They encourage an intellectual viewing of their video, meaning that you should listen to what they have to say but still be sure to consider whether you actually agree or perhaps see it differently to them.
Jun 27, 8:41 PM
Nov 2020
tuizigu112 said:
Rabnawaz2 said:

I had to watch about 6 hours of YouTube video essays to fully understand The anime

that's dedication lmao
Jul 2, 1:35 PM

Feb 2020
It would be a better experience if you'd just dive in without expecting anything. Honestly. Don’t worry about fully understanding it by the end. The series is meant to be experienced for its atmosphere and themes, not necessarily to be completely deciphered.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Serial Experiments Lain Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

nini - Dec 30, 2008

392 by Kage_Nage »»
7 hours ago

» This is the first anime to truly mindf*** me

mydaddy - May 22

23 by Bhanu_LAW_196K1A »»
12 hours ago

Poll: » Serial Experiments Lain Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

_k1_ - Feb 7, 2009

165 by Yin_Shaolun »»
Sep 25, 1:04 PM

Poll: » Serial Experiments Lain Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

aero - Mar 16, 2009

146 by PistaLakatos »»
Sep 21, 3:05 PM

Poll: » Serial Experiments Lain Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

aero - Mar 16, 2009

142 by catopolis »»
Sep 20, 8:49 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.