Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (17) « First ... « 13 14 [15] 16 17 »
Apr 7, 11:05 AM
Nov 2023
Es un viaje espectacular, cada episodio es una obra maestra. Los personajes son increíbles y tienen un gran desarrollo durante la serie como su carisma. Tiene una gran animación con episodios buenísimos, engancha y mucho. Se convierte en uno de mis animes favoritos y mi sitio de confort.
Apr 7, 3:20 PM
Oct 2023
This type of show is a rarity and we need more of such.I can't fathom on how much i love this show.Every ep is a treat to the eyes nd it hooks u up to the end.The storytelling,animation,characters are just pure chef kiss.It sets a high bar for its genre.I'll sit thorugh this Journey to the end no questions asked.
Apr 7, 4:40 PM

Mar 2019
It's far from being the best anime ever made in the history of humanity, but it was a very beautiful journey to follow, the story is good, the characters are great and the production was impeccable from beginning to end, simply fantastic!

Apr 7, 5:29 PM
Jan 2019
A magnificent ending, i hope to have a second season quickly
Apr 7, 10:49 PM

Nov 2012
Been watching seasonal anime since 2018, this is by far the best one i've watched. it has got everything going on for it, i'm impressed with what has been able to be achieved here.

I just wish there were more episodes, seeing as the manga has more than 100 chapters out, the adaptation could've had more episodes.

Can't wait for the second season. (if there's gonna be one)

10/10
Apr 7, 11:54 PM

Jun 2012
Good all around. I especially like how the last arc played out. The contrast between the 1st and 2nd exams. The 1st was one where there was a decent chance of passing, but also the risk of death. The examiner isn't harsh with quantity of people able to pass his exam, but is harsh with allowing promising mages to die, potentially even from bad luck. Ubel (who eventually got through all 3 rounds) could have died if Wirbel felt slightly different. He insists First Class Mages need both skill and luck.

Then the 2nd exam with Sense. She's a "pacifist", who will do whatever possibly to avoid anyone dying in her exam. But then her exams historically have a much lower pass rate. The contrast of easier exam but you could die vs harder exam where extra precaution is taken for your safety is so interesting, I can't think of anything like it I've seen. Usually, difficulty is associated with danger. The examinees were "scared" when they were notified Sense would be in charge of the 2nd exam, not for their life but simply for the high chance of failure. I also liked the teamwork used to get through it. More interesting to me than the Naruto version of beating clones which was just "fight your own clone and improve second on second to surpass them".

Then all this flowed into the "anticlimactic" 3rd exam where Serie basically had to clean up the mess Sense created. I was wondering how they would deal with the fact clearly weaker mages were carried through by the nature of the team event. Serie just giving them a vibe check was a funny solution, but her words also do carry weight given her station. I didn't even expect this anime to have an exam arc and it's probably the best one in any anime I've seen.
Apr 8, 1:59 PM
Mar 2021
amazing series, great world building and characters.
Apr 8, 4:57 PM
Mar 2021
overhyped but still good
Apr 8, 5:23 PM
Feb 2015
It will be embarassing if we meet again. So sequel confirm?

it been long time since I find anime with its own unique vibe that reaching the heart and feel genuine, occasionally, goofy, dramatic, heartwarming, inspirational and every character have their own thinking. I love Frieren so much, thanks madhouse and everyone involved.

Treasures the person you meet and the time you have
Apr 9, 1:40 AM

Oct 2020
Either Ubel really wants that spell or she really wants that MAN .. perhaps both but girl's persistent either way
Apr 9, 7:04 AM
Mar 2024
Best Anime in a long time!
Apr 9, 9:11 AM
Mar 2021
the best anime ever.
Apr 10, 11:45 AM
Feb 2024
very gud,i love so much,peak fiction
Apr 10, 11:55 AM
Apr 2021
For anime slices of live, slow, I like it,
Apr 10, 12:19 PM
Sep 2021
masterpiece. watch it asap
Apr 10, 12:27 PM
Apr 2021
incredible anime that felt like a breath of fresh air from all the usual generic anime thats out.
Apr 10, 7:57 PM
Apr 2021
That was a great adventure, thank you Madhouse for this masterpiece, and i see you soon!
Apr 11, 12:45 PM
Jan 2024
This show is revolutionary, i can only hope future story boarders for anime study this masterpiece and take what makes it great to heart to create more original masterpieces, This anime has taught me what it truly means to be legendary.
Apr 12, 12:31 AM
Oct 2022
good, it is.. good
Apr 12, 5:51 AM
Jun 2023
Amazing anime the best I have ever watched
Apr 12, 8:27 AM
Mar 2024
This episode was a bit emotional
Apr 12, 5:07 PM

Oct 2023
I started this series by chance, and I can say that it was the most beautiful coincidence that has ever happened to me.
Apr 13, 12:57 AM
Jan 2024
Simple and pure...
Apr 13, 2:58 AM
Feb 2023
People have you noticed that in this episode the scene in which wirbel is talking about his past, he was sitting on a tree reading a book, the girl beside him reminded me of someone from another anime...
Apr 13, 7:44 AM
Dec 2022
absolute masterpiece. love the cinematography and way the characters speak to each other.kinda reminds me of gow ragnarok
Apr 13, 8:24 AM
Aug 2020
it was boring, dull, exhausting, without anything new, good fights, great highlights or anything like that, I honestly hated the script, everything improves with time except animes and mangas because of that
but I'm not going to say that it didn't have its qualities, I loved the ost and the fantasy, the magic system in this world is very peculiar as it depends on grimoires, fighting experience and mana
I can even say that it's a bad version of mushoku tensei because the fact that it's shonen makes anything bad
It's just an anime like any other, normal, common, irrelevant, ordinary... almost every episode made me sleep
Apr 14, 7:08 AM

May 2020
It can be boring for some of you but as an iyashikei fan, i am glad i watched this. Beautifully directed and written bittersweet story. My only complain was comedy parts. They felt like studio didn't put the required amount of effort to these scenes. Other than that i enjoyed every second of this anime.
Apr 14, 8:05 AM
Dec 2023
Muito bom namoral vai se fuder
Apr 14, 1:42 PM

Oct 2020
One of my most beautiful experiences
Please watch Sword Art Online Progressive, it's the peak of SAO.
Apr 14, 6:50 PM
Deadhead

Dec 2018
Finally here at the end, took about 2 and a half weeks which for me is pretty good for a show this long, it feels like yesterday I was all like “as it ends for everyone else, I’m just now getting to it” but now I’m part the same club lol. This final episode wasn’t the best of the show but it was a great one for the finale, we got to see Serie interview the mages that were a cut above the ones she immediately failed before, and while I am kinda mad for those she failed as the test was simply flawed, I do get why they weren’t allowed to pass. That being said I was surprised to see her pass all of the other mages, I liked each scene which was unique to each character, Methode was kinda funny in how she passed but I kinda get it because I get Yoda vibes from Serie’s design lol, but you also had Land’s scene which was honestly galaxy brain on his part, the man was never even there from the start lmao, he’s the smartest person in the show up to this point.

My only fear for Land tho, is that Übel may have used her privilege to get a spell to find where he actually is, as much as I like to think she’s too dumb to realize I also think we aren’t that lucky lol, perhaps if there’s ever another season we’ll find out. Besides the Serie stuff tho, I liked both scenes which showed how the hero’s party heavily influenced two of the mages, being Denken and Wirbel, I’m glad we got backstory for both as I liked both of them a lot. That bit with Lernen was good too, I had a feeling he was there to fight when that first shot of him appeared, I’m just glad he listened to reason with Frieren instead of being unhinged, I guess Serie’s tsundere-ness is hurting those around her lol. And Fern ended up picking a spell that makes clothes clean, a very fitting choice for her and honestly very smart as that will save lots of time, and after a quick farewell from Kanne and Lawine we got one last Himmel flashback with a very nice quote to end on, “it would be embarrassing when we meet again”, I like that.

And now I am left with no more Frieren like everyone who watched it weekly, it feels kinda good being here too lol, I can say I watched Frieren although I missed it as part of my Fall 2023 and Winter 2024 anime seasons, I know this would have been a banger weekly watch and I’m kinda mad at myself for not making time for this, but at least I still watched it, I can say that lol. I can easily see why this was so popular now, it may not be a 10/10 for me personally but I can certainly see why one would want to give it that score, it was a banger show, super well made by Madhouse and the story has been great from what we’ve seen of it, I can say I loved both the chill SoL parts of the show as well as the intense shonen-like parts, I really liked it all. And it really was made by the characters, there were so many good ones in this show, not just Frieren and her party but the side characters too, especially here in this last arc where we got to know some of them. And comparing the OPs, I think I do like the 2nd OP more but both were awesome, YAOSOBI may be a bit overrated but they know how to make a good jam, and both ED versions were great too, although they were the same song I think I preferred the 2nd ED more as I liked the visuals more and that verse of the song was very triumphant and fitting for the 2nd half of the show.

And just so this essay doesn’t get any longer I’ll end it there, I’d like a Season 2 for this 100% but I could easily see this being another great show that deserved one but never got one, I hope we get it someday tho as maybe then I’ll be there weekly, I’d like to be part of that hype lol.
Apr 14, 11:48 PM
Sep 2016
As much as I wanted to see whatever test would've wiped out most of the participants, there were so many great moments between Serie and the others that made me enjoy the subversion. Most notably Fern seeing the fluctuations in Serie's aura and it being revealed Land passed two tests without ever leaving his hometown. Great ending to a great series and can't wait to see what they do next season.
Apr 15, 1:37 AM
Aug 2023
Wow, I can see why this anime suddenly became #1 top rated anime of all time on MAL and AniDB.

Rating systems can be kind of a mess of consistency and accuracy because everybody's personal rating system can be very different. Some people rate everything too harshly or too generously. Higher ratings could be given based on how beloved or rewatchable the show is to the rater, or points could be deducted from otherwise highly rated shows for blunders in the show that don't reflect the whole which leaves the show lower rated than it should seem. People's scales of 1-10 ratings might not be consistently linear, some may rate shows as if it can exceed 10; that makes sense as the more shows one watches over time, their own personal scale shifts, what was 10 when they started may not be 10 after 100 more shows watched, but gets a 10 anyways because 12 is not valid. The flip side to this is other people's personal rating system where everything must rigidly fall within 1-10, and nothing ever gets 10 because nothing's perfect, or room is needed in case something was better comes along. So with everybody's personal rating system different (and could be wildly so) being aggregated together for a single rating, it's really telling this anime is #1 top rated of all time right on release. Looking at the stats breakdown: 60.2% 10, 24.1% 9, 9.6% 8. That's 94% of the ratings between a score of 8-10. What this tells me is nearly everybody sees there's a lot of good in this anime, I would say way more good than the bad because there was bad IMO, but not enough to drop the score below 10 for me.

So why did I explain all the above, because this anime is incredibly difficult to say something about, given it is statistically #1 top rated of all time. If I pointed out something bad in it, it may seem like I'm saying it shouldn't be #1 or the entire show is bad (which I'm not). If I said something good about it, it may seem like I'm saying it's the best example of such, when other lower rated animes could have done it better. I think the only thing I can do to mitigate this is to compare it to itself when I can.

I think this anime was 10/10, pretty much all episodes were 5/5 for me except Ep13 which I found to be 4/5. That said, it wasn't always at it's best through the whole season because those numbers I just gave are deceptive, this anime broke the scales. The beginning of the season to the end of the Aura arc was the best (like 15/10), then it declined slowly to a low point (maybe low as 8/10 at some points), but then went back up for the exam arc to the end (around 12/10 or something). So while overall the show was extremely good, there were some problem, just not enough to tank the show.

I think the biggest problem by far was Fern's character, and also her ship with Stark. That's not to say there weren't problems with Frieren and Stark, nor side characters like Sein, and those at the Magic Academy and such, but it was much more less prominent and frequent than Fern's issues. The problem with Fern is she's treated by the show to be very much like a Mary Sue. Practically everything goes her way, and often to the determent of the other characters, to the plot and storytelling, to the themes, and even to the detriment of her own character. Fern's character was actually fine up until the end of the Aura arc, other characters like Stark could give her backtalk whenever her anger character flaw showed itself, and she would either be knocked down a few pegs because of such and/or would have to talk to people and convince them to work with her, or for her to admit she was wrong and apologize as a consequence to her flaws. However once Fern x Stark started, Stark got totally steamrolled and couldn't backtalk to Fern's character flaws. It only just continued to get worse and even more worse as the episodes went by. It got to the point where Fern's just angry about things she imagined, takes it out on other characters, mostly Stark, but by the end even Frieren was being held hostage by the victimization from Fern. What's worse is the victimization was to the detriment of Stark's character, he turned into a punching bag who could only try to appease Fern's character flaw with little success. It was horrid, was like watching Fern kick a whimpering puppy repeatedly, and it was infuriating because Stark didn't actually do anything remotely wrong almost every time. Their working relationship and character dynamics really nosedived because of this, if you don't think so, compare how they are at this point (a puppy repeatedly being kicked), to how they were from the Solar Dragon arc to the Aura arc. It's a significant difference, when they were less close they were more on equal level with each other, their discussions had more depth and meaning, and their characters grew more. When they were in Fern x Stark, Fern was a timebomb waiting to go off, and Stark was prisoner who could never possibly do enough atone despite never being guilty of anything in the first place. Their discussions became meaningless, and their character growth stagnated under Fern x Stark. Some commenters seemed to enjoy the ship, but that ship was really superficial and hallow, they were together for no greater reason than familiarity and proximity. I really don't understand how somebody can look at Fern and Stark's abusive relationship and squee thinking it was cute and romantic. I may have been able to overlook the abuse if Stark actually did something to warrant such abuse, but he never did. Or if Fern's character flaw causing the bullying was understandable, if she had a deeper character, or had some growth by overcoming her flaws, but there was never really any of that.

The problem with Fern's bullying flaw temporarily stopped when Sein mediated between Fern and Stark, but it didn't last as she went back to bullying both Stark and Frieren in the Exam arc right up to the end with Fern's broken staff. I get there were some deep themes in that staff being given to Fern by Heiter, however those themes have nothing to do with her anger character flaw, and her anger character flaw actually undermines other character's themes. Stark's theme is essentially he's a great hero like Himmel and Eisen, but he's being held back by his lack of confidence and self-worth; which he overcame at a bunch of points through the season and grew as a character, but mostly this happened earlier on before Fern x Stark squashed him. Fern's flaw is a detriment to Stark's confidence and self-worth, especially now that he can't even backtalk to Fern. Stark's theme and character growth is being shackled by Fern's character flaw, and not only does it cause Stark to be unable to freely grow, but it's also regressing his character. Take the situation of the last fight between them which Sein mediated, Stark pranks Fern back for touching his face with her cold fingers. That was a totally immature fight to the point that even Sein said that. What more is as usually the fault lied almost entirely on Fern, yet Stalk took the most brunt of the aftermath, he had to apologize the most, and truly the worse damage of all is Stark's character and theme is relegated to that BS situation which is so far beneath his character's station. What I mean by that is it is so undignified and demeaning to put his character though such an immature situation that it's asinine, given the very first situation of character development Stark was put through was overcoming his fears to defeat the Solar Dragon, and it being revealed the dragon actually feared him, and Stark actually had saved the town when he thought he didn't. To now having Stark being afraid of Fern so much for things mostly in her imagination, or unfairly blamed on him, is such a big undermining of his character that it feels like character assassination. And while Stark is the most obvious example of Fern's character flaw undermining the theme of another character, I think Fern is undermining Frieren's character as well. Just not as abhorrently bad as on Stark, but still pretty notable on Frieren.

Frieren's supposed to be Fern's master, but it's gotten to the point in the Exam arc where Fern can openly disrespect and hold Frieren hostage with Fern's anger character flaw just as bad as Stark. Fern did this to Frieren for sleeping in when she was supposed to do the shopping, it's such an incredibly immature situation. And it was actually the very next day after when Fern got mad at Stark for taking it easy while they were away at the 1st exam, and they appeased her with the good dinner to which Fern was extremely satisfied with. This forces Frieren to run to Stalk to mediate, which ends up in having to buy Fern treats at a bakery. It's like there's no end to how often and how little it takes for Fern's character flaw to drag other characters down. Those closest to her, which have the most character development the audience wants to see, are shackled and dragged down by her most petty and uninteresting character flaw, her moodiness. It's quite infuriating when thought about, we could be having meaningful character development but we're getting this petty thing of Fern's over and over again, which is never adequately dealt with. It's so bad it actually undermines Fern's own character development, which she hasn't really had any meaningful development since she was picked up by Frieren to be her apprentice in the beginning. That was the most meaningful and best development Fern's character had, the next would be defeating the demons in the Aura arc with Stark. However anything after that pales in comparison. Fern has pretty much become a Mary Sue since that arc, she nearly always gets her way with everything, relatively effortlessly which makes it seem underserved, suffers almost no consequences and therefore achieves very little character growth from it.

Fern's character as Mary Sue is actually overshadowing and pushing other characters with way more potential for character development and growth out of the way. I already discussed how she's undermining and holding Stark's character back. Fern's actually starting to replace Frieren's character as well by being made to be better than Frieren without any effort or challenges that Frieren puts in and endures. During the 1st exam we see Frieren struggle as she's placed into the unfamiliar role as leader of her team, and all the effort she put in to leading her team and catching a bird. However we cut to Fern's team where she caught a bird quick and effortlessly offscreen, and just gets along with her teammates without any problems unlike what Frieren had to go through. Then during the battles in the 1st exam, we see the same thing happen, Fern's battle was effortless, and Frieren's battle was quite a lot of effort. During the 2nd exam, Fern gets to the bottom of the dungeon effortlessly while the rest of the mages put in a great deal of effort. And then showdown with the clone Frieren, one of the rare times Fern struggles and faces consequences, she gets blasted back by clone Frieren's trump power, and her staff gets destroyed. Surely this means she's not a Mary Sue because she lost and suffered some consequences? Nope, Fern came up with the plan for that to happen so the real Frieren could defeat the clone Frieren, and it couldn't have happened any other way, and the real Frieren wouldn't have been able to defeat the clone Frieren otherwise. It basically says Fern defeated Frieren by coming up with the plan to defeat the clone Frieren. And then the whole thing about her staff being repaired after thinking she suffered a consequence, when she did not actually. If that doesn't say Mary Sue enough, Frieren gets failed by Serie on a grudge, but Fern gets passed just because Fern can see Serie suppressing her mana. That's trying to say Fern's a better mage than Frieren, and the kick in the teeth is Serie offered Fern an apprenticeship because Serie really wants her, but Serie never approves of Frieren. It's truly unbelievable how Mary Sue Fern is when the show is trying so hard to overshadow the main character Frieren, who's even has her name in the show's title, with Fern. I understand they're trying to set Fern up to be one day a greater mage than Frieren, but they didn't have to make her so unbelievably Mary Sue about it. There's a very very easily way to fix or mitigate this, which they didn't do. And that's to often knock her down a few pegs and give her some defeats, but the show seems to almost never do that to Fern, while often doing to Stark, and sometimes doing it to Frieren. That shows the anime could do it better, but chooses not to for some reason. Perhaps the payoff to making Fern a Mary Sue is further down the line, or maybe it'll never come at all, but having her a Mary Sue this season has really ruined much enjoyment of it for me. Not that overall the show is less than 10/10 for it, but if she had not been so Mary Sue I would have enjoyed the season more, and have significantly less to write about it.

So with the problems of Fern out of the way, there were actually some other minor issues. Between the conclusion of the Aura arc and before the start of the Exam arc, the episodes got weaker but still 10/10 IMO. There's a couple of low points which may have had the episodes dip below 10/10. I remember the episode where Sein joins felt really off to me, and very weak for an episode where a new party member joins. Luckily by the next episode, everything was feeling normal again. There were a few other times I felt it was really weak, but I don't quite remember anymore. I remember the immature fight between Fern and Stark for the payback prank was a real low point, it was like around that time meaningful conversations between the characters didn't exist anymore, they just didn't compare to back in the beginning to the Aura arc. However I do remember one meaningful conversation between the characters was when Stark and Frieren went to find herbs to cure Fern's sickness, the discussion between Stark and Frieren quite good compared to the trivial immature crap between Fern and the other two at the time. It was like they ran out of meaningful things to have the characters do and talk about around then, even the flashbacks around that time to Himmel's party sometimes seem little more than "they did something similar also", rather than the more sentimental and meaningful flashbacks. The Exam arc brought in fresh characters and situations for the show for the trio to make a comeback, if that didn't happen I think the show would have flopped if it continued the trajectory it was on.

It was good to see so many new characters in the Exam arc, they were well done with good backstories and dynamics, but they sort of pushed Frieren and Fern into the sidelines like they did big time with Stark. That's kind of risky as the audience wants to see the main character's development over the weaker new characters, sort of like how I'd much rather see Stark's character growth over Fern's because Fern's character isn't really that interesting nor endearing as Stark's. However I understand why they did it, things have stagnated a lot with the trio (mostly because of Fern and Fern x Stark), and they badly needed to get fresh air in there. The Exam arc really allowed us to see Frieren in a new environment with having to deal with new teammates, and a new role and group dynamics. Same with Fern and her team, but as mentioned before that didn't really pan out for Fern like it did with Frieren, Fern was so Mary Sue she faced zero adversity with new teammates and fending for herself. Anyways, while the Exam arc wasn't as good as the Aura arc, it progressed things along with the storyline, characters, and world building.

The finale was okay, it wasn't as strong as the peak which I would say was the Aura arc, but that's not to say it wasn't still 10/10. I was surprised how much I liked and cared about the new mage characters, it was quite fun to see how the ones who passed, passing the 3rd exam interview. Some of their backstories seemed to get revealed a little clumsily, but they were good. The way the finale left off was neutral, the journey is continuing and it's like a next episode can just seamlessly pick up where it left off. Quite fitting with the discussion on quick goodbyes "otherwise it'd be embarrassing the next time we'd meet". So I would say the finale was very well done, there's no anxiety or craving for the continuation, but we're looking forward to it. It's very "I'll see you when I see you", which is my thoughts exactly for the next season. While next season hasn't been confirmed yet, this is an anime which shot to #1 top rated of all time, so it'd be more unusual if it didn't get a second season.

Also while I know I've written an extremely lengthy post on this anime, which I'm not sure many would take the time to read, I'll use the same justification of "it is the #1 top rated anime of all time". So anyways, I'll see you in the discussions for the next season when I see you. Although I'd admit that due to the length of this post, it'd be embarrassing when we meet again.
Apr 15, 5:43 AM

Jan 2024
@Garrett_Dark

Very nice writeup. I think the question if Fern is a Mary Sue deserves its own thread. Would be a very interesting discussion. Generally, I agree with you, she is very Mary Sue-ish. Also she is getting more annoying. But at the same time neither these are completely out of character. Here are some of my thoughs:

Fern's annoying personality:

Fern clearly displays strong personality issues from the very start. Refusing training when Heiter collapses is a very strong early hint that she is not "normal" emotionally. In the tomb Sense's first comment is how wierd Fern is personality wise. And Fern admits to Sense that she lost her "passion" when Heiter died - which points to a major personality issue as well. Plus consider the MANY years of emotional abuse Frieren inflicted on Fern since they traveled together. Searching for a flower for 6months, being irresponsible, not caring about other's time, etc. Fern voices many of these frustrations early on too. To me Fern's wierd personality is actually something that is VERY consistent from the very start. It is annoying yes, but it has been there from the start. I also do not see the anime forcing the romance angle with Stark. Their interactions are consistently "abusive" from the first day Fern and Stark meets. And most of their early interactions are also quite in line. I agree some of the later episode "abuse" stuff is less funny then the early ones, but strictly speaking, Fern is messed up from the very start, and Stark picks up on this also from the very start and is on the defensive since the moment they meet.

On the plus side, Fern's dynamic with Stark produced a LOT of memes! And meme's are life! :D

Fern being a Mary Sue:

This can be explained more through a lookback approach. We learn mid anime that Frieren explained to Heiter her mana suppression strategy and its clear that Heiter taught that to Fern as a child, cause by the time Frieren shows up, Fern's control over mana, and mana suppression/hiding is highly advanced. She also trains with autistic determination, even refusing to stop when Heiter collapses. And Frieren comments she learned 10yrs worth of stuff in 4 years. So there is a nice explanation for Fern being strong from the start.

But possibly an even bigger hint is when Sense in the tomb comments that Fern is the most talented young mage she ever saw and that Fern must have gone through "many trainings". So maybe in Frieren's world - the magic training's quality (how good the master is) - is way more important then born talent. Serie also hints at this when she says "so Frieren coached you". Flamme being Serie's apprentice and becoming legendary also points to having a very strong master to teach you must matter a lot. Same with Lernen/Ehre.

Also, when Lugner is blindsided by Fern four times: First with the "human mage evading Linie's detection" then the "demon killing magic Zoltarak", then Fern's speed of casting comment "how did you teach this girl Frieren" and finally mana surpression "so Frieren does the same". We see Lugner attributing Fern's skill to Frieren's teaching repeatedly. Then we get the comment during Fern/Ehre fight about "my master only wants me to use ordinary offensive magic" which also points to teaching strategy being important.

So yes, Fern is very Mary Sue-ish, but I personally enjoyed most of Fern's Mary Sue moments, as they pointed to how well / wierdly Frieren was teaching Fern. So it felt like Fern's enemies are actually fighting Frieren and that always made me chuckle, and I also felt the show was reinforcing that feeling through the inner voice of Fern's enemies.

Apr 15, 8:23 AM

Apr 2015
This might be a tired opinion but Frieren was very much another Violet Evergarden to me. Not just in the superficial 'mute girl on medieval journey' way but in the sense that it was visually a masterpiece while being marginally less impactful narrative wise

I'm not trying to say the show lacks substance, there's plenty of 'substance' scattered here and there, though I think the main message it tried to convey got slightly repetitive by the end. I did feel considerably less artistic stimulation from the character dynamics and plotlines compared to other shows I loved though. Ultimately I did like the characters enough to ship them, which is more than what I can say for VE so in that aspect this was better.

I maintain the slight disdain towards the battle arc, I appreciate that they took the time to justify it in-universe but it still felt rather forced to include hype mage fights in the story. Having said that some of the fights were absolutely insane to watch so perhaps it was worth it

8-9/10 overall
Apr 15, 8:45 AM
Dec 2013
i feel empty when it ended
Apr 15, 9:30 AM

Jan 2024
Reply to Lanz
This might be a tired opinion but Frieren was very much another Violet Evergarden to me. Not just in the superficial 'mute girl on medieval journey' way but in the sense that it was visually a masterpiece while being marginally less impactful narrative wise

I'm not trying to say the show lacks substance, there's plenty of 'substance' scattered here and there, though I think the main message it tried to convey got slightly repetitive by the end. I did feel considerably less artistic stimulation from the character dynamics and plotlines compared to other shows I loved though. Ultimately I did like the characters enough to ship them, which is more than what I can say for VE so in that aspect this was better.

I maintain the slight disdain towards the battle arc, I appreciate that they took the time to justify it in-universe but it still felt rather forced to include hype mage fights in the story. Having said that some of the fights were absolutely insane to watch so perhaps it was worth it

8-9/10 overall
I have a love/hate relationship with the mage exam arc too. But the parts I love were really worth it. Serie's character is slowly revealed through the exam, and I loved it how it evolved from Richter's initial explanation of this "evil" ancient super-elf making mages fight to the death for a spell of their wish, to what she really was by the end of the exam.

Also throughout the arc there were the usual superb Frieren moments, like when Frieren turns to stone on the shore of the lake or when she took back the Stille with some ice-cold domination, or Denken going fist fighting, Stark and the old man, etc. etc.

And I cannot deny that throughout the mage exam cycle the cliff hangers were always painfully effective, and the episodes felt like they were over in 10min.

So I am willing to "forgive" a lot of the hype mage fights, and Fern's pouting. :)
Apr 15, 1:04 PM
Dec 2019
menudo ñordo sobrevalorado, no lo he visto
Apr 15, 1:51 PM
Apr 2020
Good Episode !!! They Ended on a Cliff
Apr 15, 7:57 PM
Jun 2021
masterpiece from to bottom, form animation to music, next tier of television anime.
Apr 16, 2:47 AM

Jan 2023
So, anyone have an explanation how exactly Land's clone magic did not fail the moment the clones entered the magic barrier during stage 1 of the test? I would think that the barrier would block magic as well as matter from the both sides.
Apr 16, 3:17 AM

Jan 2024
Reply to rmcold
So, anyone have an explanation how exactly Land's clone magic did not fail the moment the clones entered the magic barrier during stage 1 of the test? I would think that the barrier would block magic as well as matter from the both sides.
@rmcold Genau at the start of the first mage exam says "if anyone leaves the test area" their party fails. So the barrier doesn't prevent mages from entering/exiting. On the flip side we clearly see the barrier is blocking Denken's magic.

I would speculate (anime only) that:

1. Land uses the same type of magic as Spiegel - the tomb boss demon. So outside control while inside the barrier might not be required, as the Land clones inside the barrier are just as capable as Land himself.

2. Land's clones could be capable of chaining - so a clone can spawn/control a sub-clone. But if 1 above is true that is not even required.

Apr 16, 1:07 PM
Jan 2019
Just a perfect relaxing anime. No more words needed. Go watch it!
Apr 16, 8:37 PM
Aug 2014
MORE, want more of the adventures. Cannot wait til S2
Apr 17, 8:16 AM
Apr 2021
fuckıng awesome
Apr 17, 12:34 PM
Nov 2023
a truely bueatiful finish
Apr 18, 7:55 AM

May 2022
It was really good, almost perfect. I really enjoyed the ending song and how both the 1st and 2nd song where linked.
Apr 19, 12:32 AM

Dec 2014
manifesting season 2 energy please.

Apr 19, 9:09 AM
Oct 2007
I'm not sure if I'm overly eager to rate another 10/10 masterpiece since it has been awhile, but this is one regardless of which angle you're looking at. Precisely the reason why I'm still watching anime. Please give season 2!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 19, 10:54 AM
Apr 2024
An outsatanding anime to say the least. Sousou no Frieren takes us into a world of imagination and creativity. The world building, storytelling, theme and important values and morals were the highlights for me in this season. Other more obviuos standouts were the characters (who all were all unique and specialised in their own magic, offering a diverse and wide range of magic and the uses of it), as well the animation. Madhouse showing once again why they are one of the best anime production companies today.

I love how we see Frieren make decisions and statements based on what she had learnt from Himmel and the her party, and that we always get referenced back to her memories throughout the season. Watching this anime has really made me think the type of memory I want to leave behind of who I was on Earth, but also grateful that us humans are not immortal. Frieren Beyond Journey's End thought me that people don't need to live forever, cause they can live through the memories of those they have impacted.

This season has truly been nothing short of perfection, and I am really looking foward to a 2nd season.

Rating: 10/10
Apr 19, 5:25 PM
Sep 2023
amazing last episode, will miss this anime
Pages (17) « First ... « 13 14 [15] 16 17 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sousou no Frieren Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 2

274 by MasterK »»
1 hour ago

» The person who helped stop a knife attack on the Taichung Metro in Taiwan said he helped because "Himmel would have done the same". ( 1 2 )

StevieRara - Jun 4

92 by Naroomaki »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » Sousou no Frieren Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 26

271 by MasterK »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » is fanservice the reason why this is highly rated? ( 1 2 )

FruitPunchBaka - Today

63 by ANR23 »»
2 hours ago

» Frieren is now the TOP RANKED anime in ALL major western anime ranking websites (MAL, Anilist, LiveChart, Anime-Planet, Kitsu, aniDB, and ANN). Unprecedented achievement! ( 1 2 3 )

kanarazukarasu - Jun 4

139 by hanaenvy »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.