Forum Settings
Forums

Manga 'Baki-dou' Receives Anime Adaptation

New
Mar 31, 12:00 PM
News Team
Aug 2019

The official website of the Baki anime series announced on Sunday that Keisuke Itagaki's Baki-dou manga is receiving an anime adaptation produced by TMS Entertainment.

Itagaki began serializing the martial arts manga in Akita Shoten's Weekly Shounen Champion magazine in March 2014, more than a year after concluding the Hanma Baki manga in August 2012. The manga ended in April 2018, and Itagaki began serializing the second part the following October until June 2023. The Baki Rahen sequel manga began serializing in the same magazine last August.

TMS Entertainment adapted the Hanma Baki prequel manga into two anime seasons on Netflix—the first season debuted with 12 episodes in September 2021, and the second season streamed in 27 episodes from July to August in 2023. A crossover anime movie between the Hanma Baki and Kengan Ashura manga series is scheduled to premiere worldwide on Netflix on June 6.

Synopsis
Growing complacent with his title of "World's Strongest Boy," Baki Hanma spends his days in a haze of boredom. After finally settling the feud with his demonic father Yuujirou, Baki defends his title in the Kourakuen Underground Arena while stifling yawns brought about by the ease with which he defeats his challengers. Baki's friends and mentors also struggle with this new peaceful stasis, completing great feats of strength training with little enthusiasm.

Soon, Japan is shaken by the reveal of a long-gestating science experiment that results in the successful cloning of legendary samurai Musashi Miyamoto. The famed warrior relishes in testing his strength against Baki and the other fighting icons of Tokyo, but he struggles to assimilate with the modern era. Miyamoto clings to his ancient ideals of honor and dueling to the death, a philosophy that clashes with the more tranquil present.

As the resurrected swordsman attempts to rise to the top of this unfamiliar society by cutting through Baki's friends, he finds himself on a collision course with the vengeful teenager. Baki embraces this rush of excitement and meets his new rival head-on. [Written by MAL Rewrite]

Announcement

Official site: https://baki-anime.jp/
Official X (Twitter): @baki_anime

Source: animate Times

Baki-dou on MAL
Mar 31, 12:36 PM

Apr 2012
How good are modern Baki adaptations? I'm currently on the second season and although it looks pretty cool for its time, the fifteen year age of the anime still feels pretty strong due to sometimes limited animation and old Dub.
Mar 31, 2:42 PM
Jul 2012
Reply to RobertBobert
How good are modern Baki adaptations? I'm currently on the second season and although it looks pretty cool for its time, the fifteen year age of the anime still feels pretty strong due to sometimes limited animation and old Dub.
@RobertBobert 2018 (2nd series) will look vastly different compared to the Grappler stuff. The character designs change over time which happened in the manga. Baki's hairstyle and facial features will look like a different person compared to his part 1 appearance. Although 2018 uses some cgi in fullbody shots but this the only time it's used aside from an opening. Kaioh Tournament is the final arc of the 2nd series but animation starts to get more detailed. The majority of it looks great, especially when TMS has been consistent with its Baki production. By default 2018 looks the least impressive when compared to the 3rd series material being Baki Hanma Son Of Ogre. All of the modern anime have been fully uncut. The Grappler anime were "censored" when compared to the manga source. Here's the opening for the 2018 series. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwUJv4QdPq0
Mar 31, 2:50 PM

Apr 2012
Reply to THEAnimeHERO
@RobertBobert 2018 (2nd series) will look vastly different compared to the Grappler stuff. The character designs change over time which happened in the manga. Baki's hairstyle and facial features will look like a different person compared to his part 1 appearance. Although 2018 uses some cgi in fullbody shots but this the only time it's used aside from an opening. Kaioh Tournament is the final arc of the 2nd series but animation starts to get more detailed. The majority of it looks great, especially when TMS has been consistent with its Baki production. By default 2018 looks the least impressive when compared to the 3rd series material being Baki Hanma Son Of Ogre. All of the modern anime have been fully uncut. The Grappler anime were "censored" when compared to the manga source. Here's the opening for the 2018 series. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwUJv4QdPq0
@THEAnimeHERO Oh, they are using Granrodeo for the opening? So, the new version beats the old anime in terms of "good old" violence and fight animation?
Mar 31, 2:54 PM
Jul 2012
Reply to RobertBobert
@THEAnimeHERO Oh, they are using Granrodeo for the opening? So, the new version beats the old anime in terms of "good old" violence and fight animation?
@RobertBobert Yes, it's Gran Rodeo for the first theme. 2018 episode 1 will immediately give you an idea on how violent it can get. Just to clarify it's not a reboot. It's continues from after the Maximum Tournament from Baki The Grappler. The 2018 opening just showcases what happened in the previous series.
Mar 31, 3:01 PM

Apr 2012
Reply to THEAnimeHERO
@RobertBobert Yes, it's Gran Rodeo for the first theme. 2018 episode 1 will immediately give you an idea on how violent it can get. Just to clarify it's not a reboot. It's continues from after the Maximum Tournament from Baki The Grappler. The 2018 opening just showcases what happened in the previous series.
@THEAnimeHERO I know that this is a sequel to the subsequent works in the franchise after the original manga, I was just confused by the large time skip and the ONA format.
Mar 31, 3:21 PM
Jul 2012
Reply to RobertBobert
@THEAnimeHERO I know that this is a sequel to the subsequent works in the franchise after the original manga, I was just confused by the large time skip and the ONA format.
@RobertBobert Oh okay. 2018 was a very big year for anniversary anime projects. I assume the gap was done because the related Baki manga were nowhere near finished to warrant additional seasons during the 2000's. Not sure of the exact reasons. I can only guess that it's similar to other series where anime didn't get greenlit unless it was an anniversary like JoJo's 25th in 2012, Go Nagai's 45th in 2018 with Devilman Crybaby, Ashita No Joe's 50th to make Megalo Box in 2018, and Kinnikuman's current 2024 anime because of the 45th anniversary.
Mar 31, 3:27 PM
Jul 2012
@RobertBobert I forgot to add this. Baki 2018 was celebrating the 25th anniversary via a 2016 OAD. This had an interview with Keisuke Itagaki and showcased a feature of new animation. It was basically a pitch/pilot for the 2018 anime. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZjGe-a0vDQ
Mar 31, 4:34 PM

Aug 2015
Reply to RobertBobert
@RobertBobert it gets better every season
Mar 31, 4:36 PM

Apr 2012
Reply to derpinat0rz
@RobertBobert it gets better every season
@derpinat0rz So, do you recommend watching everything in order, without being distracted by the format?

@THEAnimeHERO Thanks for the information, you helped me a lot. I've been wanting to get to know Baki better for a long time, since a number of titles I know of were almost literally quoted and inspired by Baki.
Mar 31, 7:42 PM

Aug 2015
Reply to RobertBobert
@derpinat0rz So, do you recommend watching everything in order, without being distracted by the format?

@THEAnimeHERO Thanks for the information, you helped me a lot. I've been wanting to get to know Baki better for a long time, since a number of titles I know of were almost literally quoted and inspired by Baki.
@RobertBobert
absolutely!
i have rewatched it multiple times. i watched it in dub. its one of the few where dub is superior to the sub. after watching the dubbed version. i just cant watch the sub. the voices for baki, yujiro, jack, doppo etc are perfect!
Apr 1, 1:57 AM

Feb 2021
Good news! The more Baki, the better.
Apr 1, 10:08 AM

Feb 2012
Damn good news indeed, its pretty much confirmed all the parts will get anime in due time, but very hyped about this one since Musashi is one of my favorites in the Baki universe and he opens a can of whoop ass on all the already established fighters.

Its gonna be really enjoyable to go over these fights again but this time in the animated form.
Apr 1, 1:27 PM
Jul 2012
Reply to RobertBobert

@RobertBobert You're welcome. Yes, you should watch it in order. There is continuity that will be brought up in later seasons, especially when it comes to character wins, losses, permanent injuries & friendship status. Admittedly, a lot of people started Baki with Baki 2018 not knowing it's a sequel. The stuff from Baki's youth comes into play with Hanma Baki Son Of Ogre.

More topics from this board

» 'Shoushimin Series' Unveils Additional Staff, Theme Songs, Second Promo

DatRandomDude - 2 hours ago

0 by DatRandomDude »»
2 hours ago

» 'Yami Shibai' Gets 13th Season in Summer 2024

DatRandomDude - 7 hours ago

2 by hacker09 »»
4 hours ago

» Gainax Begins Production of 'Aoki Uru' Anime Movie After Lawsuit

arsonal - Jun 23, 2017

25 by wallus81 »»
5 hours ago

» 'Elf-san wa Yaserarenai.' Announces Additional Cast

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

16 by EcchiGodMamster »»
5 hours ago

» 'Kinnikuman: Kanpeki Chоujin Shiso-hen' Reveals Additional Cast

Hyperion_PS - 9 hours ago

0 by Hyperion_PS »»
9 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.