Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Jan 20, 2010 11:14 AM

Oct 2009
maxime1007 said:
francismeunier said:
bla bla bla

TL;DR
Oh come on at least my translation are useful. It's not that long....spoilers make it longer. What's the point of doing this post....tu me niaises hein?

In spoiler my anime list for now.
Jan 20, 2010 11:25 AM

Jan 2009
francismeunier said:
maxime1007 said:
francismeunier said:
bla bla bla
TL;DR
Oh come on at least my translation are useful. It's not that long....spoilers make it longer. What's the point of doing this post....tu me niaises hein?
But really francis, if someone really wants something translated, they use google translate to get a rough idea on what it says ^^;
Protip: I don't really check the forums anymore, so if you want something, take it on my profile.
Is it time for my long-awaited return to the forums? щ(゚Д゚щ) Nope™, probably not.
Jan 20, 2010 11:34 AM

Jul 2008
Oosran said:
francismeunier said:
maxime1007 said:
francismeunier said:
bla bla bla
TL;DR
But really francis, if someone really wants something translated, they use google translate to get a rough idea on what it says ^^;

I was actually thinking of translating it as well but well Francis did it first.

@Francis: hummm, un peu X) et au fait TL:DR veux dire Too Long; Didn't Read
Jan 20, 2010 11:48 AM

Jan 2009
But still, translating is better done with google translate. That is, if translation is wanted : >
Protip: I don't really check the forums anymore, so if you want something, take it on my profile.
Is it time for my long-awaited return to the forums? щ(゚Д゚щ) Nope™, probably not.
Jan 20, 2010 11:57 AM

Sep 2007
tl;dr
Jan 20, 2010 12:24 PM

Jul 2008
Oosran said:
But still, translating is better done with google translate. That is, if translation is wanted : >

No, french is somewhat way more complicated than english and most of the tranlation from translator I tried were off.
Jan 20, 2010 12:27 PM

Jan 2009
maxime1007 said:
Oosran said:
No, french is somewhat way more complicated than english and most of the tranlation from translator I tried were off.
Sec, checking that text in translator, and comparing to francis translation.
Well it made perfect sense to me anyway.
Also, I speak Swedish, and we've got no friggin' rules at all, making the language an effin' disaster. Just tellin', just tellin'.
Jan 20, 2010 12:32 PM

Jun 2009
Languages laguages...how many times i've heard that i'm using one of hardest languages(polish)?
レッツゴー ED イケイケゴーゴー
Jan 20, 2010 12:52 PM

Jul 2008
OrochiPL said:
Languages laguages...how many times i've heard that i'm using one of hardest languages(polish)?

Well french is rated to be the third hardest language in the world because it is also the most precise in the world and it have many many exception and verb tense, the grammar is also a pain in the ass compared to english's
Jan 20, 2010 1:00 PM

Jun 2009
All those ratings of hardest lanuages ale fake after all, it just depends on your abilities. They say Russian is hard, hell no, it's easy lanuage when u learn cyrylic alphabet, also they say that German is easier than Russian, once again, hell no.
レッツゴー ED イケイケゴーゴー
Jan 20, 2010 1:08 PM

Jul 2008
OrochiPL said:
All those ratings of hardest lanuages ale fake after all, it just depends on your abilities. They say Russian is hard, hell no, it's easy lanuage when u learn cyrylic alphabet, also they say that German is easier than Russian, once again, hell no.

Those rating take into account that the person do not know any language. Some language have some similitude making it easier to understand a X language if you know a Y language.
Jan 20, 2010 1:12 PM

Jan 2009
Well the most true thing being said here, is OrochiPL's "it just depends on your abilities."
It is indeed true. Then again, it also depends on origins and native language.
For example, for me (a Swede) learning Norweigan or Danish would be a piece of cake, since we use pretty much the same language, with slightly different pronounciation.
Then let's say we've got a German person, he (or she) would probably have it easier than others to learn the similar languages around there (sorry, I'm not too familiar with exactly which of the countries of central Europe are speaking which langueages ^^;).
Same goes for the Finnish and the Estonians, I'm quite sure they've got similar languages as well (Heck they sound the same, though I didn't understand much Estonian xD..)
As OrochiPL was saying, Russian's easy to learn as long as you can memorize the cyrillic alphabet. Which also holds true for say.. Japanese, as long as you learn the symbols, you can learn to read it pretty easily. I suppose that goes for all languages that doesn't use the standard latin letters. (I.e. Chinese, Korean, etc.. And Greek as well)

Going back to "which is harder" again...
If we ignore the fact that learning a language is highly dependant on ones own abilities, and take for example an American. I'd say he/she's got a whole lot easier to learn French than Swedish, because French at least have some rules to follow ^^;

maxime1007 said:
OrochiPL said:
Those rating take into account that the person do not know any language. Some language have some similitude making it easier to understand a X language if you know a Y language.
Note: "any language", if the person in question doesn't know any language at all, that'd make any language a real challenge, since the learning would have to start at a level similar to an infant.
Though the state of mind of a person not familiar with any language might in fact be pretty much the same as an infant...

Awh shit, I wrote this much? I'm overthinking things. >.>
Jan 20, 2010 1:15 PM

Apr 2008
saka said:
she was able to hum it after only hearing it once! ^^;

no. kanata had heard amazing grace when she was young, as shown in the flashbacks. Furthermore, it seems evident that that song was a driving force behind her desire to learn the trumpet, and she has perfect pitch, so it shouldn't be too surprising

as for the language discussion, it seems relatively offtopic and extremely stupid.

Jan 20, 2010 1:16 PM

Jan 2009
kyonkundenwa said:
as for the language discussion, it seems relatively offtopic and extremely stupid.
Yes, it does, why don't you join in?
Jan 20, 2010 1:37 PM
Nov 2008
Oosran said:

Then let's say we've got a German person, he (or she) would probably have it easier than others to learn the similar languages around there (sorry, I'm not too familiar with exactly which of the countries of central Europe are speaking which langueages ^^;).
As OrochiPL was saying, Russian's easy to learn as long as you can memorize the cyrillic alphabet.

But this thread is turning into some real nice mess maybe we should open a thread in general discussion and continue there? I'm interested in the opinion of ppl from different countries.
MalestelJan 20, 2010 1:44 PM
Jan 20, 2010 1:44 PM

Jun 2009
Like Malastel said, cyrylic takes about month to learn, if i recall correctly i've learned it within a month.
レッツゴー ED イケイケゴーゴー
Jan 20, 2010 1:48 PM
Nov 2008
OrochiPL said:
Like Malastel said, cyrylic takes about month to learn, if i recall correctly i've learned it within a month.

Yeah, and kanji (japanese) takes at least 4-5 months. And those are just the ones used the most (maybe 2000 or 2500). And it not only takes a lot of time it's hard as hell for someone who's bad with his hands (I am :'( ). and i won't even start ranting about chnese.... that's some hardcore stuff right there.
Jan 20, 2010 1:49 PM

Jul 2008
That's because people make the link -> lot of symbol = hard. Madarin is 'hard' because it has a lot of symbol, otherwise it is generically easy.

Malestel, your friend do not think it is that hard because french and english have a lot of similitude, and that he know the latins letter, if your friend was japanese he would say that this is hell.
French isn't the most precise language in the world for nothing,
Jan 20, 2010 2:01 PM

Jan 2009
Right, this is getting out of hand by now xD
Jan 20, 2010 2:17 PM
Nov 2008
I wanted to reply to the above comment but i realized that it would be stupid. I don't have enough real experience with all the languages we arguing about to start stating things as fact. I thought mandarin was hard not because of the symbols but the tonial pronunciation. But time will tell, I'll definitely pick it up sometimes in the distant future.
Jan 20, 2010 2:26 PM

Aug 2009
^Korean > Japanese > Mandarin.

Chinese is surprisingly easy, since it has relatively simple grammar. You only need to memorise words and stuffs. However, both Korean and Japanese has some kind of epic suffix or prepositions that goes between the words every single time. They all change within circumstances, and most of them is hard to record as grammatical rules. Especailly Korean is even more complexed with that stuff.

anyways, it is becoming more like haibane renbei. I like it.
Jan 20, 2010 2:35 PM

Jun 2009
Goo4 said:

I read this and think, "WTF Haibane Renmei have to do with Korean and Japanese laguage." Then i realized it's Sora no Woto ep 3 discussion topic...
OrochiPLJan 20, 2010 2:57 PM
レッツゴー ED イケイケゴーゴー
Jan 20, 2010 2:52 PM

Aug 2009
OrochiPL said:
Goo4 said:

I read this and think, "WTF Haibane Renmei have to day with Korean and Japanese laguage." Then i realized it's Sora no Woto ep 3 discussion topic...

yep, someone had to get back on the right topic :3
Jan 20, 2010 6:40 PM

Jun 2007
Wasabi said:
BitchMaster said:
francismeunier said:
BitchMaster said:
Nakei said:
Recently, I've started to digg all the moe-blob styled anime. Wonder why.

'Cuz you obviously belong to those rumored B type diggers, 's all ;)
Hey don't say I am also part of that.....I digg like he says many types but what you say makes no sense to me friend. I am simply a farmer not any of those and certainly not because I have a cute attachements to that MOE stuff on anime but anyways do you really think there will be a war in this serie or the demon comes back to be faced by those girls who are supposed to represent the Shrine Fire Maidens? Based all on the OP of course and the way this episode is going.

ROFL....~Okay, enough ROFL-ing...~

Lesse....What I said usually aims toward people who can understand what I reference to ( And I see HawthorneKitty seems to get what I mean...), and you don't get it? That's your prob and if you wanna get it, lurk for it, I'm too lazy and not in the mood to explain, you see?

Pretty sure "farmer" doesn't have anything to do with the subject I'm talking about so hors-de-sujet, monsieur francis?

As for the rest of your Ich Bin Ein Berliner's wall, all I can say is that I won't bother with your theories and stuffs because I believe that an anime can reach the full splendor of its aroma if I, as spectator, just fulfill my role as one by sitting back in my chair and watch instead of playing Sherlock so~ do you capire mio punto?

lawlz oh you~

Sooo Rio is hating on all religious peoplez cause some she thought some shaman guy couldn't save her mummy from her sickness and that they're all just money grubbing scammers eh?

You know what this plot needs? The mystery blonde girl turns out to be the enemy and then they have ONE EPIC LAST BATTLE in the finale where they totally just destroy the village and the surrounding areas in a climatic finish where the blonde girl will say some dramatic stuff and then die and then there's like rain and stuff and then everybody else cries and then there's a 1 minute epilogue at the end where everybody's all happy and stuff and other stuff happens and stuff that happens in a very cliche and generic way. Then some more stuff happens where they just play music... in a very cliche and generic way. Bank on it. inb4francistakesthisseriously

And lolz those crazy B types.

Change the happy ending epilogue with a rehash form the first scene and you got your self a deal (IE. Kanata is seen playing taps while some crying village girl sees her and starts smiling).
Jan 20, 2010 10:49 PM

Sep 2007
Amazing Grace.
Amazing frickin Grace.

I'm not sure there's a "nicer" show to watch this year than Sora no Woto.
Jan 20, 2010 10:58 PM

Dec 2007
It's not been a great show so far, I admit. Guess if you compare everything to Aria (or Sketchbook, Hidamari, Haibane or other higher profile slice of lives) everything seems poor.

At least it's better than that crappy excuse called Kobato.
Jan 21, 2010 12:03 AM

Jul 2009
34 said:
lvlachine said:
needs more noel

that being said Im enjoying this anime so far
particularly because of the mix of cultures and the plot seems to be unique for a moe anime (military is not generally associated with moe), though it is being carried out in a fairly generic fashion.
kg-san said:

Asu you're still a fragile flower... But its ok cause you're a beautiful flower!

花火花火花火 :D:D:D
Jan 21, 2010 1:03 AM
Jan 2009
"SNOW SNOW I NEED TO FIND SNOW"

otherwise it was an okay/pretty good episode, i didn't think it was as good as last weeks episode
Jan 21, 2010 6:49 AM

May 2008
Dblitzer said:
"SNOW SNOW I NEED TO FIND SNOW"

What was on her mind was most likely something like ice cream I think.
Her brain was frazzled, and she was looking for something as much like snow as possible.

Then realized, as a military base, they were unlikely to have anything especially cold to eat except on unusual occasion.

I do agree than even in such situation her mind should have already passed up the food storages looking for something similar to what she would like.

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
Jan 21, 2010 9:33 AM

Aug 2008
No, a lot of cultures eat snow the same way we would shaved ice. But I think they do it with milk or something.
Jan 21, 2010 9:56 AM

Aug 2009
Is there a war or something? Because they sure don't act like there is one.
-Fixing-
Jan 21, 2010 11:17 AM

Oct 2009
noteDhero said:
No, a lot of cultures eat snow the same way we would shaved ice. But I think they do it with milk or something.
I know a neighbors' dog who likes to eat snow.

In spoiler my anime list for now.
Jan 21, 2010 12:47 PM

Aug 2009
francismeunier said:
noteDhero said:
I know a neighbors' dog who likes to eat snow.

Something liek pie?...

or chocolate. :/
Jan 21, 2010 12:51 PM

Apr 2009
Okay, so far I've treated this show as a decent time-waster with really excellent incidental music (the moment Kanata faints has sealed the OSTs spot of my playlist), but is anyone else starting to expect some crazy action sequences thanks to all this foreshadowing with the tank and the fire maidens and the flying demon? During the sequence where Rio was explaining the necessities of everyone's role in a tank, "I kept thinking to myself this shit's going to get epic."

I swear if that tank isn't the biggest Chekhov's Gun I've ever seen I don't know what is.
Jan 21, 2010 2:08 PM

May 2008
noteDhero said:

Which cultures? I'm curious.

Jan 21, 2010 2:36 PM

Aug 2008
If I remember correctly, this isn't the first time I've heard this out of an anime, but let me check.
Snow Cream - This is what I was thinking of.
Jan 21, 2010 3:30 PM

Apr 2009
Oh man, I just read up on the ghosts from episode two.

Ok, maybe this show is a little better than I thought.
Jan 21, 2010 3:36 PM

Jul 2009
noteDhero said:

Yeah, snow is perfecty edible man~ Just look at how delicious they are, what kinda dumb girl can refuse to eat 'em?

If he's not with us, he's AGAINST us!!!

Jan 21, 2010 5:37 PM
Jul 2009
Nice episode, funny when Rio really troubled herself looking for the snow, what the heck
Jan 21, 2010 6:31 PM

Jun 2008
ukonkivi said:
noteDhero said:

Which cultures? I'm curious.
In Philadelphia, Pa in the states, the big thing there is called Shaved Water, or Italian Ice. Since that shaved ice that has been flavored. That's called a snow cone.
Dodecahedron-O24Jan 21, 2010 6:35 PM
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?

Jan 21, 2010 6:43 PM

Aug 2008
Jan 21, 2010 8:33 PM
Jan 2008
ArcticMech said:
There really something to hearing Amazing Grace being played (well) on a trumpet. Stirs the soul.

Want to hear talent?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Rlj3X_Gx_Q
Jan 22, 2010 2:12 AM

May 2008
I remember seeing something like that before when I was looking up cold foods I could eat to celebrate 9/9/09. I figured you might have been talking about something like that, even still, I think my same analogy works perfect for the situation.

And this is basically a Southern Europe in anime. Very very Spain and I would assume the climate is somewhat similar.

If they pushed this food onto Spain, even as multicultural as they're being, I'll honestly be kinda shocked.
Also basically it's just like a kind of ice cream but with snow as an ingredient anyway.

As where they are from, and being a military base, I thought it would be a situation where they would most likely not have anything resembling ice cream, much less snow from a food likely exotic or hard to come by in their village. Which is essentially like ice cream anyway. I think my analogy still works. She was looking for something that isn't so nuts or uncanny when you really think about it. Just not something common to the short on supplies base of their village.

Jan 22, 2010 4:03 AM

Jun 2008
noteDhero said:
Snow cones don't even compare to Italian ice.
No truer words ever spoken. But someone did ask about what cultures eat snow. Answer, pretty much anyone in the world.

Jan 22, 2010 5:26 AM

Aug 2007
Rofl, running around the house just to find snow? That was really ridiculous. I doubt that there'd be anyone that stupid, even if that person was in panic... Sigh. Get to the point, already! Seems like I'll have to watch at least untill episode 8 or something for it to really start. Tss.
Dutch anime blogger with a love for Ikuhara's antics and proper storytelling.
Jan 22, 2010 5:42 AM

Jun 2008
DragonsWhip said:
Rofl, running around the house just to find snow? That was really ridiculous. I doubt that there'd be anyone that stupid, even if that person was in panic... Sigh. Get to the point, already! Seems like I'll have to watch at least untill episode 8 or something for it to really start. Tss.
That's what got me also. You would think that they would refridgerator that would have ice maker or at least ice trays in it.

Jan 22, 2010 10:04 AM

Aug 2008
ukonkivi said:
I remember seeing something like that before when I was looking up cold foods I could eat to celebrate 9/9/09. I figured you might have been talking about something like that, even still, I think my same analogy works perfect for the situation.

And this is basically a Southern Europe in anime. Very very Spain and I would assume the climate is somewhat similar.

If they pushed this food onto Spain, even as multicultural as they're being, I'll honestly be kinda shocked.
Also basically it's just like a kind of ice cream but with snow as an ingredient anyway.

As where they are from, and being a military base, I thought it would be a situation where they would most likely not have anything resembling ice cream, much less snow from a food likely exotic or hard to come by in their village. Which is essentially like ice cream anyway. I think my analogy still works. She was looking for something that isn't so nuts or uncanny when you really think about it. Just not something common to the short on supplies base of their village.

If there's anything I've learned from watching anime, it's not to try and place any specific place or culture on a show, unless it's specifically stated, since most shows like to grab from a lot of other cultures without really knowing any context or cohesion. With that in mind, we see that...what's her name--the main girl...comes from a far off place that uses miso. What non Asian country traditionally uses miso? I honestly don't know, so I just immediately assumed that she was supposed to be the accessible, Japanese girl (since she is the main character). Everyone else is just from some random place. The girl who's like Mio from K-On grew up where she had access to a shaman, so the only thing that even vaguely reminds me of that look is Brazil, or something South American. At the end of the day, it just a mishmash of different cultures, so trying to pinpoint it as anything on this planet doesn't do anything.

That said, I felt a French/Mediterranean vibe from the setting (mosty because of the names), but looking at the architecture and landscape, I see how you got a Spanish conclusion.
Jan 22, 2010 11:26 AM

Jun 2008
Invisiblemoose said:
ArcticMech said:
There really something to hearing Amazing Grace being played (well) on a trumpet. Stirs the soul.

Want to hear talent?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Rlj3X_Gx_Q
If you to hear a powerful version of it, search "Phantom Regiment" and "Amazing Grace" on youtube.

Jan 22, 2010 12:09 PM

Aug 2008
Oh yeah...Phantom Regiment's Amazing Grace is disgustingly good.
Jan 22, 2010 6:30 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
Goo4 said:
^Korean > Japanese > Mandarin.

Chinese is surprisingly easy, since it has relatively simple grammar. You only need to memorise words and stuffs. However, both Korean and Japanese has some kind of epic suffix or prepositions that goes between the words every single time. They all change within circumstances, and most of them is hard to record as grammatical rules. Especailly Korean is even more complexed with that stuff.

Huh, to get correct Chinese expressions is... quite non-trivial... and much harder than getting particles right in Japanese. Believe me, I know both languages.

Talking about French, which I also happen to be extremely fluent at (my French > my English, theoretically), I agree that it's beautiful, elegant, but extremely hard, frustrating and has a lot of useless rules.... much more than English or Spanish (which I also happen to be fluent at :/)

Difficulty are ranked as following. I don't rank Asian languages with European ones since it's just different.

Chinese > Japanese
French > Spanish > English

And this is based on first-hand experience (i.e. I speak these languages)

Talking about the episode, people have stopped talking about K-ON similarities.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » So Ra No Wo To Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Maximatum99 - Mar 22, 2010

265 by Miyu-Miyuri »»
Aug 27, 2:18 PM

Poll: » So Ra No Wo To Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Nakei - Feb 1, 2010

118 by H_Molokov »»
Mar 28, 1:52 PM

Poll: » So Ra No Wo To Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

kerlyenai - Feb 15, 2010

142 by James-LastOmnic »»
Jan 19, 9:11 AM

Poll: » So Ra No Wo To Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

francismeunier - Feb 22, 2010

140 by NECROMANCER_2003 »»
Jan 6, 2:27 AM

Poll: » So Ra No Wo To Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

SFB - Mar 15, 2010

219 by antoninus_v »»
Oct 30, 2023 6:31 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.