Forum Settings
Forums
New
Oct 18, 2023 11:13 AM
Feb 2022
I've been very interested in reading Steel Ball Run for a while but I still have to watch/read Stone Ocean and right now there are other manga/anime that interest me more (SBR for example xd). Could I skip directly to part 7 or do I have to go to part 6 first?
Is Chainsaw Man overrated or just overhyped? 
Oct 18, 2023 11:19 AM
Aug 2020
you could theoretically but there's a lot of important details and parallels that will go over your head if you haven't seen the previous parts. plus part 6 is arguably the most important part for understanding SBR. if you want to get into Jojo, you gotta be ready to be in it for the long haul
Oct 18, 2023 11:19 AM
Aug 2022
ewiin said:
I've been very interested in reading Steel Ball Run for a while but I still have to watch/read Stone Ocean and right now there are other manga/anime that interest me more (SBR for example xd). Could I skip directly to part 7 or do I have to go to part 6 first?

In my opinion, you could skip part 6 but the start of part 7 might confuse you a bit.
Oct 18, 2023 11:20 AM
Feb 2023
Not technically but you should
Oct 18, 2023 11:26 AM
Feb 2022
Yes, I was afraid of that. It's not like I think Sotne Ocean isn't good, but I admit that it doesn't catch my attention as much as parts 3 or 4. But since I like to fully enjoy Jojos, I guess I'll watch Stone Ocean before moving on to SBR. Thanks for the answers, they were very helpful
Oct 18, 2023 11:48 AM
THE KING OF D
Feb 2018
Stone Ocean has nothing to do with SBR. Steel Ball Run, JoJoLion and The JoJoLands are in their own separate universe and have nothing to do with the other parts EXCEPT for alot of parallels and references, that being said I don't remember any references to Stone Ocean in either SBR or JJL and TJJL only started earlier this year (I have only read JJL once though).

Stone Ocean also has some of the best main characters, one of the best antagonists and some of the most creative fights in the whole series.

With all that said, I do NOT recommend skipping Stone Ocean as it is the finale to the Joestar VS DIO feud that has been going on for decades (both in the story and in real life) and concludes everything in a wonderful way.

I hope you enjoy the rest of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure!!!
Oct 18, 2023 12:03 PM
Jun 2021
ewiin said:

In theory you could because of what happened in part 6. However, you will be missing a lot of context clues, foreshadowing, references, and have very little clue of some character’s abilities/backgrounds. As a fan I would say please don’t skip. I understand its long and weird, but if your reading jojo you can’t go wrong
Oct 18, 2023 12:11 PM
Jul 2023
ewiin said:

well technically u could but there's a important details in part 6 that u need to watch later , so u could read SBR first because it's a whole other parallel word but I recommend u read/watch part 6 before for better knowledge and experience
Oct 18, 2023 1:41 PM

Feb 2021
You shouldn’t skip all the parts, you have to atleast watch/read the first 4 parts to understand the premise of the show. You CAN skip part 6 but I wouldn’t recommend it at all if you are looking from the whole experience.
Oct 18, 2023 2:47 PM
Apr 2020
DynastyTempest said:
ewiin said:

In my opinion, you could skip part 6 but the start of part 7 might confuse you a bit.

you should never skip parts.
Oct 18, 2023 2:48 PM
Apr 2020
elderonn said:
You shouldn’t skip all the parts, you have to atleast watch/read the first 4 parts to understand the premise of the show. You CAN skip part 6 but I wouldn’t recommend it at all if you are looking from the whole experience.

no you can't skip part 6. parts of 7 won't make sense if you do skip 6.
Oct 18, 2023 3:10 PM
Apr 2020
Not really. The two story has no connection and you can always go back to part 6 once you are done with this.
Oct 18, 2023 5:26 PM
Sep 2021
Started with sbr and then watched/read the rest
Oct 18, 2023 7:12 PM

Feb 2016
Steel Ball Run wasn't even advertised as a Jojo manga when it began serialization.
その目だれの目?
Oct 18, 2023 9:11 PM
Apr 2021
ewiin said:

you can just skip part 6 and read SBR, tbh it's the best jojo part, you'll just love it, also i recommend u to read part 6 later, bc the manga is so much better than the anime!!
Oct 18, 2023 9:30 PM
Feb 2022
amnddgr said:
ewiin said:

you can just skip part 6 and read SBR, tbh it's the best jojo part, you'll just love it, also i recommend u to read part 6 later, bc the manga is so much better than the anime!!

Actually? Why is the manga part 6 better than the anime? I usually see people saying the opposite.
Oct 18, 2023 11:18 PM
puer aeternus

Sep 2021
Top 10 most heinous crimes
Top 1: Skipping a JoJo part
kizumi91Oct 19, 2023 12:09 AM
Oct 19, 2023 12:49 AM
Sep 2021
ewiin said:
Yes, I was afraid of that. It's not like I think Sotne Ocean isn't good, but I admit that it doesn't catch my attention as much as parts 3 or 4. But since I like to fully enjoy Jojos, I guess I'll watch Stone Ocean before moving on to SBR. Thanks for the answers, they were very helpful

I'd recommend reading it over watching it, by the way. Araki's ability as an artist hit a peak in Stone Ocean that he wouldn't surpass until around mid to late SBR. The anime couldn't replicate the feeling of his work all the way through.
Also, the manga is available in colour online if you find that easier than reading black and white.
Oct 19, 2023 1:27 AM
Aug 2020
You should read part 6, it’s the finale to the whole series so i don’t see why you’d want to skip it. It wouldn’t take too long either
Oct 19, 2023 6:40 AM
Oct 2015
don’t skip part 6. Besides the fact that Stone Ocean is one of the best parts of the series, skipping any part wouldn’t be getting the full experience of JoJo. plus, it serves as the climax of the universe in parts 1-6; part 7 onward is a reboot with no real story connection to the first 6 parts. if you’ve seen the first 5 parts and enjoyed them, there’s no reason not to finish it!
Oct 19, 2023 7:41 AM
Aug 2021
imagine being a part skipper 💀
Oct 19, 2023 10:38 AM
Jul 2022
You totally can. A lot of the community is against part skipping because "it sin" but there isn't any context you'll need prior to Steel Ball Run so long as you have a basic understanding of how stands work. Parts 7-9 are entirely self contained and have no plot continuity from parts 1-6, so skipping to 7 won't be an issue.
Oct 19, 2023 11:27 AM
dieggstahondaweb

Apr 2022
Idk how late I am to this convo but at this point you might as well push through any context or why part 7 is what it is makes a lot more sense after finishing part 6.
" nya... baka..... is this.... what life truly.... is about.... nysa.......... " - Your name
Oct 19, 2023 1:12 PM

Apr 2021
Technically you do not need to. But, it would be quite beneficial if you do watch the other parts. If you do not plan on watching the previous parts before starting part 7, I feel that it should be necessary to at least read synopses of the previous 6 parts to fully understand everything that will be happening and why it is happening.
Oct 19, 2023 3:05 PM
May 2021
kizumi91 said:

he aint saying he gon skip p6, he just said that he would want to read sbr now, and watch p6 when he has the interest thats what i understood
Oct 19, 2023 3:43 PM
puer aeternus

Sep 2021
Reply to -j0n
kizumi91 said:

he aint saying he gon skip p6, he just said that he would want to read sbr now, and watch p6 when he has the interest thats what i understood
@JoN- I weren't only pointing directly towards him.
Oct 19, 2023 11:19 PM
Dec 2021
ewiin said:

Despite what others say you could really just read steel ball run on its own as it does not really carry anything over from the previous parts aside from references
Oct 20, 2023 12:43 AM

Oct 2013
ewiin said:
Yes, you can move right to Part 7. The universe from Part 7, let's call it as SBRverse, is not related to Parts 1-6, so is the story (despite many references and similarities appearing throughout the series). Some folks might say "no Parts skipping", but while it's understandable when it comes to the first six Parts, for Part 7 it's not that much of a big deal. Depending on your knowledge about the previous Parts, you might just miss some nods or references. That's all.

That being said, I highly recommend reading/watching Stone Ocean one day. I assume you are familiar with the first five Parts, so it'd be ashame to omit the final story told in their universe. Besides, Stone Ocean is alright.
Oct 20, 2023 5:23 AM
Jul 2021
DynastyTempest said:
ewiin said:

Stop spreading this misinformation they are not connected
Oct 20, 2023 5:27 AM
Jul 2021
You don’t “need” to, Araki himself said it’s okay to start from Part 7. In my opinion it’s a bad idea to skip it just because you SHOULD read 6 before you read 8 or 9 since both draw on 6 a bit as their original universe inspiration and going back to 6 after 7 would mess with the [flow] of the story. There’s also, to me at least, a joy in seeing the development of Araki’s writing that you only get by reading the story in numbered order.

It’s not permissible to skip any other parts though.
Oct 23, 2023 11:37 PM
Aug 2023
its really optional if you wanna get some of the references that steel ball makes to the original but its still a good read even without reading/watching the other parts.
Oct 24, 2023 4:27 PM

Mar 2021
If you're still watching Stone Ocean and finished the previous parts, then go for it.
Actually, I read part 7 while part 5 anime was airing and skipped part 6 completely (if course once I've finished part 7 I went back to read part 6).
Skipping part 6 didn't effect my experience with SBR, as is completely unrelated to it.

Oct 26, 2023 3:49 AM
Jul 2023
While it is better to read all the other parts before 7, you can still read sbr as an individual story as it is a reset of the original Jojo universe

More topics from this board

» Leak: Anime adaptation

ARK-13 - Apr 27

23 by Ronnieboi6980 »»
Jun 10, 7:49 PM

» I have a theory who Araki was inspired by to make Scarlet Valentine

Absurdo_N - Jun 2

2 by Absurdo_N »»
Jun 2, 2:33 PM

Poll: » JoJo no Kimyou na Bouken Part 7: Steel Ball Run Chapter 96 Discussion

federgolo - Nov 18, 2016

38 by Pitmania »»
May 24, 4:31 AM

» Can i skip parts and read this?

PermanentHaki - Apr 1

46 by Blueberry173 »»
May 21, 12:40 AM

Poll: » JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 7: Steel Ball Run Chapter 11 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - May 19, 2014

30 by Nill_oficial7boy »»
May 11, 9:46 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.