Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

Vinland Saga's Makoto Yukimura Shares Opinion on Violence: 'Consider Attack on Titan'

Vinland Saga
Available on Manga Store
New
Aug 11, 2023 6:17 AM

Jan 2009
video version here https://twitter.com/Anime/status/1690088613453959168

You've mentioned in previous interviews that you dislike violence. The title of the series is Vinland Saga. In the beginning, Leif Ericson describes Vinland as a new world without war or slavery. What would you like to tell readers deeply interested in just the violence within the manga?

YUKIMURA: If you're into my story for the violent aspect of it, at some point, I might not be able to meet your expectations. If you really want to read about things like violence, you should consider Attack on Titan. I actually do hear comments from the fans saying that they like Thorfinn from back in the day. 'What happened to him? He's only farming!' I hear their complaints, though, at the same time, I cannot help it. Sorry.

more here https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interview/2023-08-11/vinland-saga-makoto-yukimura-shares-opinion-on-violence-consider-attack-on-titan/.200853

looks like the ending will be peaceful after all with how he recommends Attack on Titan instead if fans want more violence
degAug 11, 2023 1:59 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 11, 2023 6:36 AM

Mar 2022
Gutter trash like aot can never compare to the peak that is Vinland Saga

Aug 11, 2023 6:43 AM
Jan 2022
SabreDrago said:

I am very interested to hear why AOT is trash for you.
RipperdocAug 11, 2023 6:50 AM
Aug 11, 2023 6:52 AM

May 2017
It's very clear what the author thinks about violence when you read his story.
Aug 11, 2023 6:57 AM
Jan 2021
SabreDrago said:
The sad truth is; aot much better than vinland saga
Aug 11, 2023 7:06 AM
Mar 2021
SabreDrago said:

another edgy seinen and slice of life fan which can't comprehend the fact that a shonen can have better story than seinen
Aug 11, 2023 7:06 AM
May 2023
feyyazu35 said:
SabreDrago said:
The sad truth is; aot much better than vinland saga

Keep crying Aot stan.
Aug 11, 2023 7:28 AM
Nov 2021
Both can be great shows you clowns. Lmao.
Aug 11, 2023 7:33 AM
Mar 2021
Jesus this thread is already brainrot
Aug 11, 2023 7:34 AM

Apr 2023
Is that supposed to be a jab or a genuine suggestion? Actually curious.
Aug 11, 2023 7:36 AM

Jan 2009
OiantakuYT said:

probably a honest suggestion lol the author of Vinland Saga is a good guy like he never trolls afaik
Aug 11, 2023 7:40 AM
Jan 2017
OiantakuYT said:

I think it’s a genuine suggestion, aot is consistently quite violent and has battle scenes, I think he’s just recommending that if people are looking for THAT, they shouldn’t look for it in Vinland saga, at least past s1
Aug 11, 2023 7:53 AM
Dec 2015
Peak Vinland Saga mangaka recommends peak AOT, my life is complete😌
Aug 11, 2023 7:57 AM

Mar 2013
It makes sense. Attack no Titan is pessismistic due to the cyclical nature of violence leading to its controversial ending. Violence is not so much glorified as it is seemingly inescapable, whereas in Vinland Saga a violent lifestlye is something that can be risen above, at least for the individual, and from that greater peace can be achived on a wider scale.
Aug 11, 2023 8:06 AM
Jan 2021
Efsanevi_otaku said:
feyyazu35 said:
Acı gerçek şu ki; vinland sagadan çok daha iyi

Aot stan ağlamaya devam et.
My friend, if you're going to cry, you can cry far away lol
Aug 11, 2023 8:15 AM
Mar 2023
feyyazu35 said:
Efsanevi_otaku said:

Aot stan ağlamaya devam et.
My friend, if you're going to cry, you can cry far away lol

We get it Aot is good but Vinland Saga is better.
Aug 11, 2023 8:24 AM
Feb 2022
the people who comparing aot with Vinland Saga are legit trash like how can you compare a pure fiction anime with a realistic one its just ridiculous.
Aug 11, 2023 8:40 AM
Jan 2021
Bugsbunnysahte said:
feyyazu35 said:
Arkadaşım ağlayacaksan uzaktan ağla haha

Anladık Aot iyi ama Vinland Saga daha iyi.
plot,plot twist,theme,foreshadowing,arc,depth.....In short aot all kinds of better
Aug 11, 2023 8:53 AM
Feb 2022
i dont Like aot For one reson and it is they are milking the shit out of the show Like come on
Aug 11, 2023 9:00 AM
Mar 2023
feyyazu35 said:
Bugsbunnysahte said:

plot,plot twist,theme,foreshadowing,arc,depth.....In short aot all kinds of better

Aot is not even the best Shonen lol cope
Aug 11, 2023 10:36 AM
Jan 2021
Bugsbunnyfake said:
feyyazu35 said:

Well, one of the best. Dude that's true, you can see this if you're not blind.
Aug 11, 2023 10:39 AM
Mar 2023
feyyazu35 said:
Bugsbunnyfake said:

Legends of Galatic Heroes beat Aot in every Technical regard.Including world building,politics etc
Aug 11, 2023 11:02 AM
Negator

Mar 2022
It took one response in this to lead the thread astray, color me surprised. If only people could just let someone shoot a shot into the void instead of jumping in front of the bullet to continue the war.
Aug 11, 2023 11:09 AM
Mar 2020
Does every popular show need a Fandom war?
Aug 11, 2023 11:12 AM

Jan 2013
Literally anyone who watched S2 already knew this. 
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Aug 11, 2023 11:13 AM

Jan 2013
Bugsbunnyfake said:
feyyazu35 said:

Legends of Galatic Heroes beat Aot in every Technical regard.Including world building,politics etc
Useless comparison, they're both wildly different shows. 
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Aug 11, 2023 11:34 AM
Feb 2021
I love how we can’t have a forum post without people crying about one show being better than another, when we could just sit back and discuss these things like mature internet citizens
Aug 11, 2023 2:00 PM

Jan 2009
Aug 11, 2023 2:19 PM

Jun 2023
OiantakuYT said:
It is obviously not a jab. Mangaka tend to be very respectful of one another's works whilst humble about their own, even if the work environment is highly competitive.

saketsahu said:
the people who comparing aot with Vinland Saga are legit trash like how can you compare a pure fiction anime with a realistic one its just ridiculous.
Vinland Saga is anything but realistic and both are thematically and structurally very similar except one is more nihilistic whilst the other idealistic.
Aug 11, 2023 2:31 PM

Nov 2021
Well, if one can think about, that it was never supposed to be about violence right from the start, some fans just have unrealistic expectations from it.
Aug 11, 2023 7:10 PM
May 2023
feyyazu35 said:
Bugsbunnysahte said:

Writing: Vinland Saga (Anyone who knows even a sh*t about writing would agree with me.)

Consistency: Vinland Saga

Story: Vinland saga

Plot: Aot (Because Vinland is a character-driven show)

Plot twist: Aot

Action (quantity): Aot

Action (quality): Vinland saga (AoT has more action, but Vinland has better action in terms of quality because it has less plot armor.)

Animation: Both

Ost/music: Aot

Foreshadowing: Aot

Depth: Vinland saga ( I guess Aot is more deep for teenagers.)

Protagonist: Vinland Saga (If you think Eren is better, then go scream Tatkaye over some virgin.)

Antagonist: Vinland saga

Better Arcs: Vinland Saga (The farming arc objectively negs the best arc of Aot.)

Philosophy: Vinland Saga

Themes: Vinland Saga (Now let me explain this one in detail: Aot has nihilistic themes while Vinland has idealistic ones. I myself like Nihilistic themes more, but that doesn't make Aot thematically better than Vinland. Vinland managed to execute its themes properly, while on the other hand, AoT is thematically not even 10% of the other well-executed nihilistic shows and manga like Monster, Evangelion, and Oyasumi Punpun. (In short, better themes don't make a show thematically better; it depends on how they execute them.)

Peaks: Debatable

Impact: Subjective

Enjoyability: Subjective

World Building: Vinland Saga

Character writing: Vinland saga

Character development: Vinland saga

Female cast: Vinland saga (Aot has a bigger female cast, but Vinland has more well-written female characters).

Ending: Vinland doesn't have one yet, but of course it wouldn't be as bad as Aot.

In conclusion, Both are good shows, but Aot is quite overrated and Vinland is overall better.
The_Sword_saintAug 11, 2023 7:39 PM
Aug 11, 2023 7:11 PM
May 2023
Bugsbunnyfake said:
feyyazu35 said:

Overkill. [Character limit]
Aug 11, 2023 7:47 PM

Apr 2022
jeez what a dumpster fire of a thread. so much for not having enemies.
Aug 11, 2023 7:56 PM
Mar 2021
only took 1 message for this thread to become a shitshow.

thanks for sharing though!
Aug 11, 2023 8:08 PM

Jan 2015
Both are great, have their own strengths and weaknesses, if one would take a deep honest look at each of them.

Insulting other fandoms is motivated more by ego rather than a love or appreciation towards the represented fandom.

• reminder to do something today that will make your life better •
• true failure is when you stop trying •

Aug 11, 2023 11:47 PM
Jul 2021
Dr-Azrielwinters said:
i dont Like aot For one reson and it is they are milking the shit out of the show Like come on
can you explain how are they milking it? Are they adding filler contents? Are they adding unnecessary OVA's or ONA's? Are they doing BoT:next generation? They're simply taking their time to give us the experience that AoT can give. Jesus people can't seem to give animators peace of mind.
Aug 12, 2023 2:32 AM

Dec 2021
Both are Overrated but AoT is the worst piece of literature ever written

I'm not surprised that a Hack writer is recommending it
If you want to reply to my posts, come up with valid arguments instead of ad hominem HIGHER LEVEL THINKERS ONLY
Aug 12, 2023 4:13 AM
May 2022
And with that simple answer, he solved the problem. If it's violence that you like, then this show isn't for you and there are plenty of violent shows like Aot that have what you want. Go watch that instead. The end.
Aug 12, 2023 8:09 AM
Feb 2022
ANTITHE5IS said:
OiantakuYT said:
It is obviously not a jab. Mangaka tend to be very respectful of one another's works whilst humble about their own, even if the work environment is highly competitive.

saketsahu said:
Vinland Saga is anything but realistic and both are thematically and structurally very similar except one is more nihilistic whilst the other idealistic.

bro its literally stated that the anime is based on historical event that occurred and thorfinn and many other character really existed ,and you saying they are similar do you think that titan existed💀💀
Aug 12, 2023 10:23 AM
Jan 2021
Mythical_otaku said:
feyyazu35 said:

Writing: Vinland Saga (Anyone who knows even a sh*t about writing would agree with me.)

Action (quality): Vinland saga (AoT has more action, but Vinland has better action in terms of quality because it has less plot armor.)

Protagonist: Vinland Saga (If you think Eren is better, then go scream Tatkaye over some virgin.)

Better Arcs: Vinland Saga (The farming arc objectively negs the best arc of Aot.)

Themes: Vinland Saga (Now let me explain this one in detail: Aot has nihilistic themes while Vinland has idealistic ones. I myself like Nihilistic themes more, but that doesn't make Aot thematically better than Vinland. Vinland managed to execute its themes properly, while on the other hand, AoT is thematically not even 10% of the other well-executed nihilistic shows and manga like Monster, Evangelion, and Oyasumi Punpun. (In short, better themes don't make a show thematically better; it depends on how they execute them.)

Female cast: Vinland saga (Aot has a bigger female cast, but Vinland has more well-written female characters).

Ending: Vinland doesn't have one yet, but of course it wouldn't be as bad as Aot.

In conclusion, Both are good shows, but Aot is quite overrated and Vinland is overall better.
writing aot,story aot,protagonist aot,action is a redundant category,ost/music and animation is also an unnecessary category,depth obviously aot,antagonist both,better arcs aot,It's unnecessary in the female cast. Cast instead,ending aot (because vs not end),character writing aot,theme both. Other than that it seems right. By the way, aot is not overrated, it's overhated and the Big seinen trio is overrated.
feyyazu35Aug 12, 2023 10:41 AM
Aug 12, 2023 11:01 AM
Dec 2022
Thorfinn is basically Eren if he used his brain and logical thinking to solve the problem of titans instead of genocide

*Eren and thorfinn are quite similar*

Both were Suffering and watching their loved once die

It's just that thorfinn acknowledges all the problems and solves them with little to no violence

In case of eren he is simply too blinded by the love of friends and other people and and believes the future can not be changed

In my pov i think eren resembles an average person if an average person is put in the same environment he'll most likely do the same , I think it's realistic

But again people justify what he did and don't get the actual message that makes me a bit sad

In the end I'll say both of them are excellent anime and manga , Don't justify what eren did take a lesson from it , I bet you can't look at someone who has committed genocide irl and justify it
Ayyu358Aug 12, 2023 11:13 AM
Aug 12, 2023 10:13 PM
May 2023
feyyazu35 said:
Mythical_otaku said:

writing aot,story aot,protagonist aot,action is a redundant category,ost/music and animation is also an unnecessary category,depth obviously aot,antagonist both,better arcs aot,It's unnecessary in the female cast. Cast instead,ending aot (because vs not end),character writing aot,theme both. Other than that it seems right. By the way, aot is not overrated, it's overhated and the Big seinen trio is overrated.

Touch some grass kiddo.
Aug 12, 2023 10:47 PM

Jan 2019
A lot of enemies are in this thread right now.
Aug 13, 2023 4:52 AM
Jun 2021
The ending may be peaceful but the world, very much not 😔
///
Aug 13, 2023 6:46 AM
Jan 2021
Mythical_otaku said:
feyyazu35 said:

Touch some grass kiddo.
Look who says lol. If you're going to cry dude, cry away because it's the truth. Vinland saga is overrated. You don't get it now because you're a kid, but I hope you understand better when you grow up
Aug 13, 2023 8:20 AM
May 2023
feyyazu35 said:
Mythical_otaku said:

Touch some grass kiddo.
Look who says lol. If you're going to cry dude, cry away because it's the truth. Vinland saga is overrated. You don't get it now because you're a kid, but I hope you understand better when you grow up

Virgin aot stan really thinks that he is mature lol, This is irony of the century. Go get some brain cells , it will be helpfull for you to pass your 8th class examination.
Aug 13, 2023 8:22 AM

Jan 2009
to destroy is easy but to create is hard like creating a better world for all so Thorfinn is better than Eren
Aug 13, 2023 9:06 AM
Jan 2021
Mythical_weeb said:
feyyazu35 said:

Virgin aot stan really thinks that he is mature lol, This is irony of the century. Go get some brain cells , it will be helpfull for you to pass your 8th class examination.

lol i became aot stan just for telling the truth. Boy, you're low on brain cells, you need a new brain, otherwise it's funny when you talk nonsense for a TV show. And you're protecting the Vinland Saga with your life just to be cool, and that's even funnier.
Aug 13, 2023 6:00 PM
May 2023
feyyazu35 said:
Mythical_weeb said:

lol i became aot stan just for telling the truth. Boy, you're low on brain cells, you need a new brain, otherwise it's funny when you talk nonsense for a TV show. And you're protecting the Vinland Saga with your life just to be cool, and that's even funnier.

Lol there is no need for me to protect Vinland saga, I am just teasing a 9 year old kid for fun and you are the one who is trying to defend his favorite anime with all his might. It's ok, bro, I ain't blaming you for your dumbness; it is scientifically proven that the average IQ of an AoT stan is lower than a rock.😂
The_Sword_saintAug 13, 2023 6:05 PM
Aug 14, 2023 9:38 AM
Jan 2021
Mythical_weeb said:
feyyazu35 said:

Lol there is no need for me to protect Vinland saga, I am just teasing a 9 year old kid for fun and you are the one who is trying to defend his favorite anime with all his might. It's ok, bro, I ain't blaming you for your dumbness; it is scientifically proven that the average IQ of an AoT stan is lower than a rock.😂

lol kid are you still crying 🤠
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Who is the most handsome Vinland Saga man?

Shizuna - May 24

23 by Nunofurbusiness »»
7 hours ago

Poll: » Vinland Saga Season 2 Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 9, 2023

505 by FarCritical »»
10 hours ago

Poll: » Vinland Saga Season 2 Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 1, 2023

371 by Astiaz »»
Jun 2, 4:12 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Season 2 Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 19, 2023

490 by VibinRenji »»
Jun 1, 2:55 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Season 2 Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 12, 2023

376 by VibinRenji »»
Jun 1, 2:21 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.