Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 20, 2023 10:42 AM
Dec 2022
With the level of art that berserk has, I don't think even mappa can adapt to the level of art in the manga, and regardless of how the art is, There will be people complaining 
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jun 20, 2023 11:03 AM
Feb 2021
Kenpuu denki berserk was a great adaptation but it's more than 25 years old now. So it's quite unlikely that we'll get a worthy continuation of the story since the style of animation has changed a lot now. I mean I can't really see any studio capable of capturing the essence of Berserk and the vibe of its quiet yet powerful moments.
Jun 20, 2023 11:27 AM
Mar 2023
1997 was. I feel like the best thing they could do for berserk is just get like mappa to do it won’t be perfect but it will be alright (also start with golden age)
Jun 20, 2023 11:37 AM
Oct 2008
For anime we need better technology. But I think HBO could pull out live adaptation that would make us shit from happiness.
Jun 20, 2023 11:41 AM
Aug 2022
no.
it would require too much money, too much time and too much talent manpower to make a faithful adaptation.
Jun 20, 2023 11:51 AM
Feb 2022
yes one day they will
Jun 20, 2023 11:51 AM
Aug 2020
It might be, Dorohedoro got a well accepted adaptation when the drawing style is near impossible to recreate for animation, but with Berserk's fans standards it'd be really hard for any studio to make something "worthy"
Jun 20, 2023 12:33 PM
Apr 2021
Berserk and punpun are similar in a few ways imo…they are both considered to be the most critically acclaimed/greatest manga ever. And for that reason, they are works of art that I feel can only be captured through the form of manga.

Berserk is definitely more likely to be adapted than punpun, but both were made/designed to be experienced through manga.
Jun 20, 2023 12:57 PM
Dec 2020
Just got to wait patiently for Netflix to make a live action adaption starring John Cena.
Jun 20, 2023 1:31 PM
Jan 2021
of course it's possible. as long as you count live action on HBO
Jun 20, 2023 2:42 PM

Oct 2013
Gagarin said:
For anime we need better technology.
Not really. What is needed are funds, skilled crew, and of course the will to animate everything.

As for now, I can imagine two studios being able to adapt huge chunk of Berserk's story, or even the whole one. MAPPA comes to my mind first, but Studio Orange would be able to make a great anime as well.
Jun 20, 2023 2:53 PM
Aug 2021
I truly think the only way for a studio to make an adaptation that does the art justice of by using the old 80-90s dark fantasy style that you see in the old berserk, or other series like Angel’s egg.

Such a great style but it’s never used these days and that’s a real shame considering it’s uses, especially in series like Berserk.
Jun 20, 2023 4:33 PM

Mar 2022
Maybe drop it back to OLM? Unlike the first time they animated Berserk, this time they won't have issues with budget. 
Old Madhouse would be perfect though... 
Jun 20, 2023 4:50 PM
Sep 2022
Naomem said:
It might be, Dorohedoro got a well accepted adaptation when the drawing style is near impossible to recreate for animation, but with Berserk's fans standards it'd be really hard for any studio to make something "worthy"

The Dorohedoro anime is kinda like berserk 2016
Jun 20, 2023 5:12 PM
Oct 2020
If anyone can do if its ufotable or MAPPA frfr, tho MAPPA already carrying too much 🐐🐐🐐so I say ufotable maybe 🙏.
Jun 20, 2023 5:18 PM

Oct 2021
Ufotable's the only studio capable of making a good adaptation potentially rivaling the manga if they really pour their resources and time into it. 

It's going to really need a very high budget to pull off. Possibly a collaboration between studios would lessen the load, like ufotable doing the heavy animating work while wit studio handles the artwork and backgrounds, but this'll lead to potential future conflicts for sequels.

Mappa could potentially give us a decent adaptation, and if anyones more likely to pick up berserk it's mappa, but there's no guarantee if it's quality will be near to the manga.

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯

Don't try and get me to cook
I can take care of anything
else but not that

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯

Jun 20, 2023 6:19 PM

Oct 2014
It's been said many times that Berserk is impossible to adapt faithfully. I'm inclined to agree.

It feels like the only way is if the entire anime industry collectively comes together to make it happen. As it stands currently, I cannot think of a single studio that would be up to the task.
Jun 20, 2023 6:45 PM
Sep 2022
I believe instead of making anime adaptation
a live action film with a budget like for film like Lord of the rings would be good
Jun 20, 2023 9:06 PM
Jan 2022
It’s possible, it would just take a LOT of time, years and years
Jun 20, 2023 10:03 PM

Feb 2016
It doesn't need to look like the manga. Magic Knight Rayearth anime is better than the manga even though it looks worse.
その目だれの目?
Jun 21, 2023 2:26 AM

Apr 2022
Kanalense said:
With the level of art that berserk has, I don't think even mappa can adapt to the level of art in the manga, and regardless of how the art is, There will be people complaining 

forget MAPPA, man. this manga is out of league for ufotable too.
no amount of animation skills can do this manga justice😭
Jun 21, 2023 2:54 AM

Mar 2018
Yes. Just give it a good budget and talented crew to make it. Just cause last time they tried to do it with monkeys and 5 dollars doesn't mean it can't be adapted. Look at new season of Vinland Saga, it is uglier than manga with many problems, but still beloved by many. You can easily match this quality for Berserk or even better surpass it.
Jun 21, 2023 3:27 AM
Apr 2022
Everyone is saying Mappa like it's the only studio out there, but what about Madhouse? They are capable and I think they could manage. With Parasyte they showed they can make those typical 80s manga style work nowadays.
I'd love them to make continuation rather than another remake
Jun 21, 2023 3:30 AM
Feb 2022
Baranka02 said:
Everyone is saying Mappa like it's the only studio out there, but what about Madhouse? They are capable and I think they could manage. With Parasyte they showed they can make those typical 80s manga style work nowadays.

I also don't think Mappa animation style fits berserk
Jun 21, 2023 3:32 AM
Apr 2022
ichihime15 said:
I believe instead of making anime adaptation
a live action film with a budget like for film like Lord of the rings would be good

you know that at some point you would be watching 95% of cgi? what's the point of making a live action then? Making it another Beowulf? No western/Hollywood studios should touch berserk. They would only make it horrible.
Jun 21, 2023 3:36 AM
Jan 2021
I’ve been watching the 1997 anime so far and it’s been really good. I think adapting the rest of the story since Golden Age would be pretty challenging since the manga isn’t over yet
Jun 21, 2023 3:43 AM
Apr 2022
riksuave said:
I’ve been watching the 1997 anime so far and it’s been really good. I think adapting the rest of the story since Golden Age would be pretty challenging since the manga isn’t over yet

golden age ended at around 85 chapter and now we have 371-3 if I remember correctly so 3-4 seasons with 12 episodes could be manageable to do
Jun 21, 2023 3:52 AM

Mar 2022
Baranka02 said:

Yeah, MAPPA would be terrible choice. And, as much as Madhouse sounds like a perfect fit, they have not been top tier studio for years. Not the same studio that did all those masterpieces back in the day. Thus why people keep referring to them as "old Madhouse" when they talk about classics they did.
Jun 21, 2023 4:07 AM

May 2017
why not? They don't have to keep the Level of detail from the Manga. A nice artstyle with excellent animation and sticking to the source material would at least make a good/decent adaptation. Anime don't have to directly replicate the art of its source imo.
Jun 21, 2023 8:58 AM
Nov 2022
Kanalense said:

Yes, with the level of art Berserk has it might be impossible to animate it. As an artist, from my perspective, I think if the art in the manga is already hard to draw traditionally, what if you animate it? It's going to be harder to animate than any other anime.
Jun 21, 2023 9:41 AM
Mar 2021
saommkol said:
You know you are in a zoomer thread when people talk about good animation the only studios they keep saying are Mappa and Ufotable.

The most boomer thing to say lmao, good neck beard by the way.
Jun 21, 2023 9:53 AM
Jun 2020
FilthLobster said:
Just got to wait patiently for Netflix to make a live action adaption starring John Cena.

bro na💀
invisible swordsman arc gonna be lit though
Jun 21, 2023 11:46 AM
Mar 2020
If a 25yo adaptation with average budget could pull it off, how can you think, they can’t pull it off now? They’d have better technology, better budget, which means they’d be able to afford better VAs and compositors. It’s just a matter of ‘if they want to’ and not ‘can they’

𝘚𝘰𝘮𝘦𝘵𝘪𝘮𝘦𝘴 𝘸𝘩𝘦𝘯 𝘐 𝘤𝘭𝘰𝘴𝘦 𝘮𝘺 𝘦𝘺𝘦𝘴, 𝘐 𝘤𝘢𝘯’𝘵 𝘴𝘦𝘦.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Jun 21, 2023 1:46 PM

Oct 2017
Baranka02 said:
MAPPA is old school Madhouse. Due to financial problems and other issues they lost a lot of their talent to MAPPA and other studios like VOLM and Nut. 

The studio that is left there is the not the same studio of the 90s, 2000s and early 2010s (though they were bleeding talent by that point). They still make good shows but it's not to the same scale. If you want old school Madhouse it's MAPPA or M2 (another Maruyama offshoot working on Pluto and again a case that shows it's impossible to adapt manga of that scale). Plus Parasyte while I liked it's not exactly a super intense production that something like Berserk would require. The art isn't that detailed and the fight scenes are just good enough nothing spectacular. 

Though sure there are a lot of talented studios that if you gave them the time and talent could probably adapt it well enough. They just need to get that time. I wouldn't be shocked if it get's a new adaption maybe when the manga ends to spur interest again. 
BilboBaggins365Jun 21, 2023 1:49 PM
Jun 21, 2023 9:12 PM

Jun 2022
majin_mark505 said:
Berserk and punpun are similar in a few ways imo…they are both considered to be the most critically acclaimed/greatest manga ever. And for that reason, they are works of art that I feel can only be captured through the form of manga.

Berserk is definitely more likely to be adapted than punpun, but both were made/designed to be experienced through manga.

nobody was talking about punpun
Jun 22, 2023 2:19 AM
Jul 2021
yes, a game adaptation

length problem of the movies? Gone

explicit problem of the 97 anime? Gone

Animation problem of the 2016 shitshow? Gone

If berserk was adapted into a game it would be a near perfect adaptation of the manga since it would remove any of the issues the anime adaptations had to face

Hell, the game might even be a full adaptation of the manga

too bad the best we got was a shitty musou game and outdated ps2 adaptations
Jun 22, 2023 3:42 AM

Feb 2021
Eldencheese said:
1997 was. I feel like the best thing they could do for berserk is just get like mappa to do it won’t be perfect but it will be alright (also start with golden age)

Mappa is trash. Get wit studio to do it. They are much better.
Jun 22, 2023 4:19 AM

Feb 2022
I don't think art is the issue here, many manga have great art, and their adaptation managed to do it justice (take Vinland Saga for example, or even AOT which had its art greatly elevated on the big screen by the animation done by studio WiT). The big problem would be censorship, for example, the Lost Children Chapters or the Wyald chapters which are usually seen as over-the-top gory and therefore are seen as not fit for an adaptation or just as unnecessary when in reality without them Berserk just isn't the same. But the risk of the adaptation being a flop is too high, hence why big studios like MAPPA and ufotable will probably try to never adapt it.

Jun 22, 2023 7:29 AM
Apr 2021
Zukan123 said:
majin_mark505 said:

nobody was talking about punpun

I’m saying they are similar bruh

Both are unlikely to get an anime adaptation, let alone a “good” one.
majin_mark505Jun 22, 2023 7:36 AM
Jun 22, 2023 7:49 AM
Apr 2021
exxjup said:
majin_mark505 said:

I’m saying they are similar bruh

Both are unlikely to get an anime adaptation, let alone a “good” one.

Punpun is not as critically acclaimed as you think it is and its sale numbers are nowhere close to Berserk. Try a better example next time, like Vagabond, and try to remmeber Mal popularity is not a sign of quality for the rest of the world.

I didn’t use an example like vagabond cuz I haven’t it read yet

And I’m not talking about the popularity of the series. I’m simply saying both would be difficult to adapt as an anime

The dude that made this discussion was asking if berserk will ever get a proper anime adaptation.
Jun 22, 2023 9:41 AM
Feb 2023
Can’t wait for the inevitable live action Netflix series
Jun 22, 2023 10:38 AM

Apr 2012
It kinda saddens me that Berserk never got the anime adaptation it deserved (the 1997 one is the best out of the ones attempted, but didn't have the technology or freedom of anime today), especially when I saw how good the adaptations of Vinland Saga and Attack on Titan - both series influenced by Berserk - were. Maybe if Berserk was a more recent manga it would have gotten the treatment those two series did. But I feel that the 2016 anime did so much brand damage that they're never gonna attempt another adaptation. It is possible with a huge budget, but they've messed up so many times that I doubt they'll try again. Ah well, at least the manga is still there, it's incredible.

MaseLeo31 said:
Can’t wait for the inevitable live action Netflix series
Yeah, Netflix can't keep their hands off bastardizing everything and then cancelling it after one season lmao.
Jun 22, 2023 1:09 PM
Nov 2020
yes it is. I don't see why not. everybody says that you can't capture the detail of the manga in anime form but that's how it is with every other adaptation.

Vinland Sagas anime isn't as detailed as the manga but it's still an amazing adaptation. Anime adaptations are never gonna look exactly like the manga but you can do different things in anime form to enhance the series.

A good Berserk adaptation is possible, it's just hard since it's a long series with a lot of explicit content. A lot of studios are probably intimated by it and it's content.

1997 and the movies proved that you can do it. Sure, both of them weren't perfect, but they both had things that showed us that it is possible if the right studio picks it up.
Jun 22, 2023 1:45 PM

Mar 2022
GutsFudo_6665 said:
yes it is. I don't see why not. everybody says that you can't capture the detail of the manga in anime form but that's how it is with every other adaptation.

Vinland Sagas anime isn't as detailed as the manga but it's still an amazing adaptation. Anime adaptations are never gonna look exactly like the manga but you can do different things in anime form to enhance the series.

A good Berserk adaptation is possible, it's just hard since it's a long series with a lot of explicit content. A lot of studios are probably intimated by it and it's content.

1997 and the movies proved that you can do it. Sure, both of them weren't perfect, but they both had things that showed us that it is possible if the right studio picks it up.

The only thing I disagree with you is that studios are intimidated by explicit content. They can navigate around some of that stuff without ruining the experience. I think the main issue for adapting Berserk is production costs. And for the sake of argument, what would be the "right" studio for Berserk? From artistic and budget standpoint? 
Jun 22, 2023 2:11 PM
Apr 2022
The 1997 anime was a great adaptation and the movies were decent as well. It’s definitely possible but I doubt we will get a good adaptation for the rest of the manga though, at least not anytime soon.
Jun 22, 2023 3:02 PM

Apr 2012
exxjup said:
Spinnerweb said:
(the 1997 one is the best out of the ones attempted, but didn't have the technology or freedom of anime toda

That's a nonsense claim as quality of animation got nothing to do with technology but the talent of the animator that's why a lot of older anime has better animation than today's anime , especially the movies. And I don2t know what you mean by freedom of anime as it does not make any sense.
But better technology means it's easier to make better animation with a small budget in a short time period, yes? A lot of today's anime has more detail compared to older stuff because of technological advances. As for freedom, they weren't allowed to show explicit gore on a TV anime back then, something Berserk is known for. You can see this the moment the Golden Age arc starts and Guts doesn't split that guy's head in half and make his eyeballs fly out like he did in the manga.
Jun 23, 2023 1:48 AM
Mar 2023
Idk man the art-style that recent anime have doesn’t fit berserk.like i want berserk to be rough and dark not like some demon slayer atmosphere
Jun 23, 2023 8:37 AM

Apr 2023
Theoretically ofc no, but practically... I mean., 1 bad adaptation = whatever. 2 = okay thats really weird. 3+ = What the hell?

Hope dies last, but its getting close...
Jun 23, 2023 2:27 PM

Apr 2017
Better technology how? The 1997 anime did it right by keeping it simple.

Live-action isn't doable. Berserk is probably the most un-filmable fantasy work.
Jun 24, 2023 12:00 PM

Mar 2022
Kjjjuyy said:
-Saphiran- said:

The only thing I disagree with you is that studios are intimidated by explicit content. They can navigate around some of that stuff without ruining the experience. I think the main issue for adapting Berserk is production costs. And for the sake of argument, what would be the "right" studio for Berserk? From artistic and budget standpoint? 

Rather than production costs main probem is the marketability as seinen series tend to have a smaller audience compared to the shonen series therefore bringing less money, there is a reason why we have so many long running shonen adaptations yet barely any long seinen adaptations, especially if they have many risky scenes like Berserk.  Ideal thing would be to adapt Berserk in OVA or ONA form instead of TV series but it would be rather costly as marketing would be limited.

As for ideal studio to adapt, I think Production IG or maybe old? Madhouse would be suitable.
You can't compere Berserk to shonen. Casuals won't jump into uncomfortable series like they would into some battle shonen. That's why ufotable can get away with huge production on Demon Slayer. Berserk already has its specific audience that after so many failed anime won't settle for half-assed adaptation. That's why production costs would be main issue. There is always posability to add new fans, sure.  Kenpuu Denki Berserk did wonders brining new fans and increasing manga sales. 

The only studios that can do this are Wit and OLM. Or joined venture between the two. Wit cuz they are kinda celebrity name and they have enough talent. OLM is drowning in money. I don't see other options. Unless Netflix (shown interest in Berserk many times) decides to finance the whole thing in which case, they would probs pick Wit since they're already do business together. That would be ONA you are talking about.  
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Berserk Chapter 376 Discussion ( 1 2 )

MegamiRem - Apr 25

57 by SPIDEY_rockzzzzz »»
Jun 13, 7:13 AM

Poll: » Berserk Chapter 375 Discussion ( 1 2 )

MegamiRem - Nov 8, 2023

55 by SPIDEY_rockzzzzz »»
Jun 13, 7:06 AM

Poll: » Berserk Chapter 374 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Barrycade - Sep 21, 2023

68 by SPIDEY_rockzzzzz »»
Jun 13, 7:00 AM

Poll: » Berserk Chapter 372 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Barrycade - Apr 27, 2023

62 by SPIDEY_rockzzzzz »»
Jun 13, 6:30 AM

Poll: » Berserk Chapter 370 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Bellace - Oct 12, 2022

96 by SPIDEY_rockzzzzz »»
Jun 13, 6:23 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.