Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Mar 14, 2023 6:47 AM
Sep 2021
So, with 7 episodes aired (I don't remember exactly, but I think it's around this number), do you guys (that played Nier Automata) think that it's okay if I replace the anime and watch it instead of playing the game? Or you think the game is far superior and I should not watch it until I play the game?

(Sorry about the English tho, I'm not fluent so sorry about the mistakes if it has)
Mar 14, 2023 6:54 AM
Apr 2021
haven't played the game either, but people who did are saying the anime is taking a different approach compared to the game,so, even if you watch the anime i think you will still find the game enjoyable
Mar 14, 2023 7:10 AM
Feb 2022
You should definitely play the game, it's really good, one of my favorites. You will enjoy it, that is if you can get all the endings (there are 5 endings)
Mar 14, 2023 7:10 AM
May 2019
I’m a great fan of the game and, knowing its story and lore quite well, I’ll say that the anime is indeed using different ways to tell the story but for the better.
The game’s story relies heavily on the lore and is mostly ‘gameplay’ driven (do this quest to achieve this piece of info, do this boss etc)
The anime narrates the same stuff (a few things are different) but in a way that’d be more suited for an anime. It takes some creative choices (some changes or some addons that werent directly narrated ingame) but where they’re aiming for is the same story.

At least, this is my opinion after 7 episodes
Mar 14, 2023 7:19 AM
Nov 2017
ThundeRR-Sama said:
You should definitely play the game, it's really good, one of my favorites. You will enjoy it, that is if you can get all the endings (there are 5 endings)

There are 5 MAIN endings, but in total there are 26 endings in Nier Automata. Most are jokes but there is a secret boss in ending Y.
Mar 14, 2023 7:19 AM
Oct 2008
Y69kl said:
So, with 7 episodes aired (I don't remember exactly, but I think it's around this number), do you guys (that played Nier Automata) think that it's okay if I replace the anime and watch it instead of playing the game? Or you think the game is far superior and I should not watch it until I play the game?

(Sorry about the English tho, I'm not fluent so sorry about the mistakes if it has)

After watching anime you should play the game. Game is more in depth and also good.
Mar 14, 2023 7:20 AM
Feb 2022
XanthousNA said:
ThundeRR-Sama said:

There are 5 MAIN endings, but in total there are 26 endings in Nier Automata. Most are jokes but there is a secret boss in ending Y.

Yeah, but I never did all of them just the 5 main, got some joke endings by just messing around but didn't go out of my way to get all of them.
Mar 14, 2023 7:34 AM

Feb 2020
I haven't played the game either, but I'm still enjoying this show.
Mar 14, 2023 7:38 AM
Oct 2022
In my opinion it depends on the person because the anime may tell some parts of the story of the game but playing it will be a very different experience, but you cannot replace the experience of the playing the game watching the anime.
Mar 14, 2023 7:41 AM
Oct 2022
Y69kl said:

You can watch the anime whithout playing the game, if you played the game and next watched the anime the only thing that would happen is you recognizing some parts and stages of the game.
Mar 14, 2023 7:45 AM
Dec 2017
play the original game ffs.

Mar 14, 2023 8:25 AM

Aug 2018
Every Nier story they make is slightly different (which is why this is called “Ver 1.1a”). So between the game, anime, LNs, and any other source, the story will differ. If you wanted to experience the game’s version of the story you’d have to play it
Mar 14, 2023 8:58 AM
Apr 2022
you should definitely play the game (or watch a playthrough) before watching
Mar 14, 2023 12:33 PM

Apr 2018
I'm pretty sure is made to promoting the game.

You and the rose are connected. Know the weight of your own life
Mar 14, 2023 1:38 PM

Jul 2014
Play the game. Both Nier and Nier Automata.
"Most anime makers are basically autistic" - Hideaki Anno
Mar 14, 2023 4:01 PM
Community Mod
Equanimity

Nov 2020
Never played the game, but playing a game is a different thing than watching an anime? I dont think you can compare these experiences. I would just advise you to do what you are in the mood for.
Mar 14, 2023 4:23 PM
Dec 2017
-DxP- said:
Never played the game, but playing a game is a different thing than watching an anime? I dont think you can compare these experiences. I would just advise you to do what you are in the mood for.
play the original game mod-sama, you won't regret it.

Mar 14, 2023 4:51 PM
Mar 2019
DEFINITELY PLAY THE GAME, THE ATMOSPHERE IS THE BEST
Mar 14, 2023 4:54 PM
Mar 2019
Y69kl said:

I suggest playing the game, keep in mind, that it has 3 main endings 1-2 which are 1 main ending that you play both as 2b and 9s, 2nd ending becomes different as it shows what’s expecting in 3rd ending which shows after the 1st-2 ending
Mar 14, 2023 4:57 PM
Mar 2019
Y69kl said:

I haven’t watched the anime, but if it stops at 12 episodes, i don’t think it would show exactly everything the game has, i suggest playing the game, the atmosphere, soundtrack is incredible
Mar 14, 2023 8:13 PM
Jan 2023
In the game you get to know the characters more and have more immersive experience while the anime is more fast pace and a laid back experience both work and in the anime they kinda combine the endings
Mar 14, 2023 10:46 PM
Oct 2021
I hear that the anime leaves out some parts of the game but what I'm doing is playing the game and watching the anime at my own pace so I can compare the two
Mar 14, 2023 11:44 PM
Mar 2023
if you like hack and slash games I highly recommend it!
Mar 15, 2023 2:13 AM
Community Mod
Equanimity

Nov 2020
Crow_Black said:
-DxP- said:
play the original game mod-sama, you won't regret it.

mmm... don't really like to play games, can't remember the last time I played a video game.
Mar 15, 2023 2:47 AM
Jun 2022
play the game no question asked. just make sure to play using Xbox controller
Mar 15, 2023 5:05 AM

May 2021
what game should i play first. i hear there are many versions, sequels, prequels, drakengard. can anyone give me an order
Mar 15, 2023 8:05 AM
Jul 2021
I haven't played the game but i love this anime sofar, i love world building and the unique approach it takes in androids/ machine lifeforms.
If the game is still better than the anime, i would love to play it
Mar 15, 2023 4:38 PM
Jan 2021
I haven’t watched the anime, but the game will be different for sure because of the multiple endings. I can’t express enough to play the game through the first four endings, one of the best games you’ll ever play.

But I’ll prolly like the anime regardless if it follows the story or not.
The right mindset when watching an anime is hoping that it will break your top 10
Mar 16, 2023 9:00 AM

Feb 2019
EviL_GriN said:
what game should i play first. i hear there are many versions, sequels, prequels, drakengard. can anyone give me an order
the story of nier automata is self contained but there is a long line of games if you want to understand the full world. But overall for automata alone u aren't missing too much it's a good hame to start
Mar 16, 2023 9:18 AM

Feb 2016
I did not think Automata was very fun to play, but I would recommend the 1st game since it was never made into an anime.
その目だれの目?
Mar 16, 2023 9:36 AM

Jul 2014
EviL_GriN said:

What I would recommend is playing Nier Replicant and Nier Automata, I don't think it matters much which you play first as they're their own games, just set in the same timeline. Although Replicant happens before Automata. I personally played Automata first and still found tons of enjoyment in both.
Nier Gestalt, which you might have heard of, is the original Western version of the game Nier. Replicant is the remake that is way closer to the original game so I recommend that one, plus the gameplay is way better, less clunky.

The Drakengard games are seriously outdated so you're better off watching lore videos regarding those games, but it's not necessary to play and enjoy the Nier games.
"Most anime makers are basically autistic" - Hideaki Anno
Mar 16, 2023 5:14 PM

Nov 2022
Definitely play the game or watch a walkthrough.

Some characters are missing in v1.1: there is not Satre or his fangirls for example.

Or that phase pen is used in a phrase 'pen is mightier than a sword, meaning unknown.'

However watch this too. It is a good anime, much better than many others here.
Buy my awesome BDSM male domination book here  https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/1174760

Visit my Discord https://discord.com/channels/1047490147794550844/1047490149161898039 I am not there most of the time but you can leave a message.

Or my blog here https://BDSMAnime.blogspot.com/
Or here https://BDSMAnime18.blogspot.com/

Submit to me and become my subject here https://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=88107
Mar 17, 2023 6:23 PM

May 2016
I’d recommend the game. The anime from what I’ve seen is pretty faithful, however there are certain events that just work better in video game form. I can’t say there’s ever been a video game anime adaptation that was better than the game it’s based off of.
Mar 17, 2023 6:32 PM

May 2016
EviL_GriN said:
There’s some pretty good lore that connects all the games, however they’re all pretty standalone. You can start from any game. Just pick the one that interests you the most and go from there
Mar 18, 2023 7:38 AM

May 2013
No, this is a fan product for those who played the game. I don't think the people who are watching and didn't play the game get everything of what's happening in the show. If you want to know more, play the games 

Mar 18, 2023 9:43 AM

Feb 2021
With the current anime situation, yes, it is better to play the game instead, I am sure.
Mar 19, 2023 7:49 AM
Apr 2015
Y69kl said:

As of the ending of episode 8, this is a different route/ending than anything in the game.   It's been adding more lore and character details that weren't in the game at all.(such as the fact that you only really meet Jackass like once in the game).  So I would recommend to EVERYONE to either watch the anime then play the game, or play the game then watch the anime.  As long as you experience both, then nothing is lost.
Mar 19, 2023 7:56 AM

Apr 2018
Definitely you should play the game. 
The game is very unique in its own way, different than the anime, and Yoko Taro even said that the anime will have a different ending than the game, so yeah, play it, the anime can't give you all the fun and depression the game does.
Fight for All That's Beautiful in The World !

Mar 20, 2023 12:50 AM
Mad scientist

Aug 2020
Play Nier Replicant then play Nier automata and then watch this. Both are amazing games and you will enjoy this anime way more
Mar 20, 2023 4:21 AM
Feb 2022
I'd recommend playing the game tbh, the anime skips and rushes through many scenes.
The game feels incredibly engaging and it has very unique approaches to tell its story.
I'd even argue some parts of the story don't work too well in the anime format.
Mar 20, 2023 4:34 AM

Feb 2020
Late reply but they have some similarities but so far the anime is taking a different approach overall storywise. Taro also said he had to change the ending because Nier Automata's ending can't work in other media outside video games. I recommend Nier Automata (video game) to anyone but no the anime is not a substitute to the game since the two are different already.
Mar 20, 2023 8:00 PM
Apr 2022
The game is far more interesting and fleshed out. The show so far has felt slow and yet somehow rushed at the same time
Mar 22, 2023 6:01 PM
Jul 2022
nier automata is my personal favorite game of all time and i think everybody should experience it.

the anime seems to be pretty good so far but some parts are kind of worrying (reusing low quality versions of game models in animation but that hasnt happened in many episodes) but until the whole thing is adapted the best choice is to play the game.
Mar 23, 2023 11:18 AM

Jan 2020
The game is quite a bit deeper and the anime keeps throwing series easter eggs at the viewers. You really are missing out on a lot not playing lol

More topics from this board

» Why It got hate?

Otaku_guru - Mar 5

20 by Scythe97 »»
May 28, 2:57 AM

Poll: » NieR:Automata Ver1.1a Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 21, 2023

149 by Seygneur »»
May 27, 11:32 AM

Poll: » NieR:Automata Ver1.1a Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Embient - Jul 23, 2023

112 by SettyLove »»
May 16, 5:08 AM

Poll: » Are you an Anime-only or Player of the game?

Rob7 - Apr 27

16 by Kirito_Sama_ »»
May 4, 1:10 PM

Poll: » NieR:Automata Ver1.1a Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 4, 2023

105 by Rob7 »»
Apr 26, 9:05 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.