Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Aug 14, 2022 3:15 PM

Jun 2020
I cant wait for the final episode
Sep 9, 2022 4:10 AM
Aug 2021
did she just kill god
Oct 6, 2022 5:27 AM
May 2021
Is he... gone? What a mess
Nov 9, 2022 5:47 PM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
Lain and Arisu didn't kiss. 1/10 anime. Was hoping for some hot steamy action when "god" told them to "connect"

Next and final episode probably: Lain becomes "god", dominates the entire world and rewrites history, probably

NYANPASU
5700XT

Jan 6, 2023 8:15 AM
Oct 2015
Humans are good as they are, evolving up to perfection will only prevent us from being what we are. Thus, we can't trascend time but from a collective standpoint. I may be getting sidetracked, but this show truly tackles it all, arguably including some of humanity's most relevant debates ever. In that sense, this has to be one of the greatest, either you agree or not with its philosophy. And not to mention the execution itself. It's really something special. Can't wait to see how it ends.
Jan 7, 2023 8:19 AM
Jul 2022
So, we near the end and everything is coming to a close. Something tells me this series will end with the end of the world or something like that. I'm glad Alice was utilized the way she was. I always recognized her as truly the only person Lain connects with, and so it was nice seeing her be what helps Lain understand things about what it means to be human. The final scene with Jester makeup (as I like to call him) was delightfully thematic, with Lain sitting in-between a human and a god like figure, making her caught between both worlds. As for where the series goes after this, I don't have the slightest clue, which is good. For all it's worth I'll say that Serial Experiments Lain is one of the more unique pieces of media I've seen in regard to its presentation. Coming so far, I can't say I enjoyed the series, but experienced it, and that's more than enough for me.
Jan 9, 2023 4:49 AM
Jul 2022
It was soo fucking boring
Jan 9, 2023 4:51 AM
Jul 2022
I have never been bored soo much thick anime pure sucks.....the narration is trash story pacing is trash how am I suppose to get interested in such anime...in real life I really like computer technology and I love animes related to tech but damn this anime is just pure gabage.
Jan 16, 2023 10:40 AM

Aug 2019
confusion upon confusion
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 23, 2023 7:49 PM
Aug 2022
"¿Quien te dio ese derecho?", ¿alguien nos dio derecho a algo?, quiero decir, ¿dios?, pero, ¿quien le dio ese derecho a dios?, y a ese dios ¿quien le dio ese derecho?
May 20, 2023 3:14 AM

Aug 2022
Let's all love Lain.
May 31, 2023 3:10 PM

Jan 2019
i still dont understand this lol

Jun 17, 2023 10:23 PM

May 2023
god didnt know about God , yikes
Jul 7, 2023 1:40 PM
Mar 2023
it's very impactful to see Arisu and Lain's interaction leading to Lain realizing the value of her body/the real world etc.
Jul 22, 2023 2:50 AM

Dec 2009
Original Thoughts:

Thoughts upon Rewatch: 
waalex11Jul 25, 2023 1:16 AM
Jul 28, 2023 2:59 AM

Jul 2014
The most understandable episode of Lain yet lmao
Sep 14, 2023 10:40 AM
Jun 2022
god is dead lmfaoooo
Oct 25, 2023 2:04 PM

May 2019
eerie and unnerving at least theres no jumpscares

Oct 28, 2023 12:28 AM
Nov 2022
que vivan las novias
Jan 15, 5:38 AM
Nov 2020
I love Lain. At first, i thought this would be something simple, or cliche, in wich lain becomes a kind of god and kills everybody. Now, i think Lain became a human, more than anything.
Feb 1, 5:27 PM
Oct 2023
so lain loves Arisu.
Feb 24, 7:09 PM

Dec 2022
oof, classic obstinate atheist rage
Mar 20, 2:08 AM
Mar 2024
I don't know if that was smart or if it thought it was smart. It's good regardless
Apr 16, 3:43 PM
Feb 2021
müqqqq cok seviyorrum la
Jun 9, 1:41 PM
Feb 2024
Somehow a really great Re-cap episode *and* a Semi-Final?! That thing with needing to exist in reality without the wired is *fascinating*
Jun 14, 9:47 PM
Oct 2021
Damn that was a wild ending
Jul 3, 1:01 PM
Apr 2023
gud :)))))))))))))))
Jul 29, 1:47 PM

Jan 2013
In a way it is correct to think we're all data.
We're all just memories making memories of each other.

In that sense it made sense for there to be so many different Lain's as they're the Lain's people remember her as.
Aug 19, 1:52 AM
Aug 2024
that was rather peak fam
Aug 26, 12:36 AM

Aug 2019
Stellar episode, a lot more easier to understand imo and honesty that made the ep feel a lot more hooking and exciting for me.

Well, the first segment was a bit of a mind fuck, Eiri Masami's monologue had a lot to unravel. What i took away was something to do with human evolution being stunted, and him creating the 7th gen as a means to push humanity's evolution again? Which equates to creating a collection consciousness?

I liked the Black suits scene, shame it feels like it's their last scene and still feels like a number of unanswered questions about them. So they're "client" pays them but the entire time they interpreted their relationship as mutual and not a service, feeling like they got backstabbed from it. They then ask, "What happens next" since it was clear they were cutting ties, and this client gives the most down to earth prepare for actual nuclear fallout dystopian response ever, "I suppose a place with no power lines that isn't covered by a satellite." This line right here i think made it crystal clear just how fucked the situation was, and like the Black suits response, it would be almost impossible to find such a place since EVERYTHING on earth has probably got a man made signal going through it in their universe.

The question the other member proposed answered many more questions about the show, "What are you planning to do, by connecting the Wired to the real world without any devices?" Pretty much confirming Eiri Masami's work has gone into full effect and the client was helping cultivate Eiri's original work to break the barrier between the Wired and the real world. The next scene is probably one of the most Kino scenes in the show by far imo, the first member having a fit and the second member zooming into his eyes to see Lain herself IN his eyes, then what follows is the first dude looking drier then a raisin and the second one start panicking and only to see fucking cyber ghost spectres walking towards him probably giving him the same fate as the first guy. Fucked up end for the two but man imo it's such a cool horror sci fi idea, just cyber ghost spectres from the internet breaking into reality, such a wild dystopian idea that i fuck with hard.

Arisu takes matters in her own hands, I'm honestly curious how Lain's how house got so trashed since Lain herself was probably hooked up to the Wired for months. Mika still(?) being in the house is worrying and sad, still no real concrete answers to what happened to her, and the idea that her parent's just ditched her there while they ran away to prepare for doomsday feels fucked.
I really liked some of the dialogue between Arisu and Lain in this ep. Lain clears the misunderstanding and says she really wanted to help Arisu as, "You were my friends, even without connecting with me, Arisu." and one thing leads to another and Lain gives Arisu a big, "I love you." which i couldn't help but aww at. The next scene of Arisu despite everything she's been through, still put some faith in Lain and their friendship and show her some compassion was so so sweet.

So besides the heart-warming reunion between the two, this scene also felt like it had a boat load of answers with it. Lain reveals all humans at one stage were, "connected at an unconscious level" and she herself "reconnected" them all saying she is a program designed to destroy the barriers. This explains so much shit about what Lain actually is and her essence, i think it's safe to say she's akin to an A.I and Eiri Masami was her creator. I really liked her explanation of people being "applications" in this process, it kinda gives me the mental image of how people are starting to blend into the Wired because they're loosing their "barriers" that keep them contained as separate applications.

And we have Eiri Masami come in to fuck everything up but get royally denied which was great to see. Lain talks back to him and hits him with a, "Who gave you those rights?" and starts questioning his authority which strikes a nerve, "Did you really come up with the idea by yourself?" making Eiri slowly admitting that there might be a God, before fucking forcing himself into the real world. Some other quotes like "You're just an acting God, standing in for someone who was waiting for the wired to reach its current state." are interesting since they can imply Eiri's place in the Wired, or even the world in fact, was that of a place holder and planned by either another organisation or a high consciousness.
I also found it interesting how Lain said, "The Wired isn't an upper layer of the real world." which could be interpreted as her saying the Wired isn't Heaven or what come's after the real world, which can make a lot more of the context of the show a bit more interesting.
The next scene was pretty fucking cool, Eiri becoming this abomination of human flesh and machine giving me Akira vibes before Lain uses her powers to stuff him back into the pocket dimension.

What i've mostly taking away from this episode is, Lain's true essence, how the world's doing (it's not looking good) and Eiri Masami end Goal besides trying to become a God. Eiri, from my understanding, essentially wants to push human evolution and create this End of Evangelion global Instrumentality joint consciousness esc situation centred in the Wired, he created Lain's programming to break that barrier but now Lain' is becoming self aware of herself and rejecting his authority.
Sep 13, 12:23 AM

Aug 2019
“Let's all love Lain” I can agree with that but with the good Lain tho.

Sorry dude but you were merely covering for the real god.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Serial Experiments Lain Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

aero - Mar 16, 2009

146 by PistaLakatos »»
Sep 21, 3:05 PM

Poll: » Serial Experiments Lain Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

aero - Mar 16, 2009

142 by catopolis »»
Sep 20, 8:49 AM

Poll: » Serial Experiments Lain Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

nini - Dec 30, 2008

391 by fasoliadis »»
Sep 19, 6:31 PM

Poll: » Serial Experiments Lain Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

aero - Mar 16, 2009

142 by Sun_Chan »»
Sep 12, 11:58 PM

Poll: » Serial Experiments Lain Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

aero - Mar 16, 2009

121 by Sun_Chan »»
Sep 12, 11:35 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.