Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Blue Lock
Available on Manga Store
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Nov 28, 2022 10:16 AM
Dec 2021
Ao ashi had that pretty realistic side to it but for more shounen blue lock is very good
Nov 28, 2022 3:06 PM

Jan 2020
only seen inazuma
Nov 28, 2022 4:44 PM
Aug 2019
Personally I consider Inazuma Eleven as the best soccer anime, but then again, i'm super biased since I grew up with it so it's a very subjective opinion. lol
Nov 28, 2022 5:57 PM
Oct 2022
anime_on_demand said:
I've only tried a few soccer anime, but so far this is my favourite. I'm also planning to watch Ao Ashi and Inazuma Eleven eventually.

For those who have seen more soccer anime than me, how does Blue Lock compare?

idk about the best...... but this is the first soccer/ football anime i have watched
Nov 28, 2022 5:58 PM
Oct 2022
MadanielFL said:
This is quite literally my first ever sports anime lol

same ( character limit)
Nov 28, 2022 5:58 PM
Oct 2022
squeekeez said:
This is the best sports anime I've ever seen.

then what is the spoiler in it?????
Nov 28, 2022 6:15 PM
Jul 2021
I did not like Ao Ashi (boring). Blue Lock is far more exciting (reminds me of KNB with the over-the-top visuals) so for me, it is the best soccer anime I have seen.
Nov 28, 2022 6:47 PM

Aug 2021
this is the only soccer anime i have seen 🤪
Stawberry Milk Supremacy
Nov 28, 2022 6:52 PM
Oct 2018
This is my first FOOTBALL anime, so technically i can't give opinion
Nov 28, 2022 6:54 PM

Dec 2019
Yeah only other one ive seen is ao ashi this one is way better
Nov 28, 2022 7:33 PM
Jun 2020
Why isn't anyone talking about Area no Kishi? Dude, it was awesome! The animation is good the plot is heartwarming even the drama is interesting.

Nov 28, 2022 8:12 PM

Aug 2020
Yes, pretty much.

Days was utter trash, I kept trying to force myself to continue but the protagonist was so utterly dumb, useless and the most annoying crybaby, not to mention it went for a more realistic vibe yet got pretty much everything about how to train for soccer wrong.

Area no Kishi was interesting but ultimately lost me on the whole pseudo-magic heart transfer aspect and the fucking adult therapist lady lusting so much after a dead teenager that she caused his baby brother a genuine identity crisis.

Ginga e Kickoff was adorable and I enjoyed it, but the ending was so ridiculously unrealistic after an otherwise very grounded plot that I just couldn't take it seriously.

I very much have a soft spot for Captain Tsubasa and am tempted to say that's my favourite, because I really enjoy the long stories that follow sports stars from their childhood days all the way to adult pro player life (same reason I love Major for baseball anime), but it's just been a really long time since I saw it so nostalgia may be messing with my perception.

Only watched like half an episode of Ao Ashi and I'm just so...idk how to put it, tired? Like, it's pretty, I'm sure it's good and I'll enjoy it eventually, but at some point you need something new and different and Ao Ashi is just the same thing I've had a million times in other sports anime already.

Inazuma Eleven is fucking weird and feels like a video game ad all the way through.

Ganbare!Kickers is cute and nostalgic, but nothing special.

Shoot! Goal to the Future is just... bad. Like, can't even point at one specific thing. It's like they couldn't make their mind up if they wanted to be a proper sequel or not so it's ultimately a disappointment both to fans of the original and new fans because it just randomly throws stuff at you in a disjointed, stiff mess.

So yeah, Blue Lock easily trumps the vast majority of these for me, aside from Captain Tsubasa which just has a special place in my heart and maybe Ao Ashi in due time when I'm less burnt out on by-the-book sports (but even then I think it will be hard to top the innovative, unique concept and thoughtfulness put into Blue Lock.
Nov 28, 2022 11:50 PM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
Haven't seen Ao Ashi yet, but something tells me I'd like that more than blue lock

NYANPASU
5700XT

Nov 29, 2022 10:33 AM

Nov 2020
ao ashi 100x better

"I don't know about you
But I'm feeling 22
Everything will be alright if
You keep me next to you
You don't know about me
But I'll bet you want to
Everything will be alright if

We just keep dancing like we're 22, 22"
Nov 29, 2022 10:43 AM
cool title here
Mar 2022
MadanielFL said:

you're gonna get spoiled of you try watching another sports anime cuz blue lock is so good lmao. haikyuu good too tho, that might be able to compete, they are pretty close but i like blue lock more.
~ Frost
Nov 29, 2022 1:26 PM
Aug 2013
Definitely not the best ... I watched the following football/soccer animes:

- Captain Tsubasa
- Inazuma Eleven
- Ginga e Kickoff!!
- Ao Ashi
- Area no Kishi
- Offside
- Aoki Densetsu Shoot!
- Giant Killing
- Days
- Keppeki Danshi! Aoyama-kun

Not sure what else

but I assert you that blue lock is 8/10 at max.
Yes it is decent but doesn't feel like real sport anime, more like a survival-game anime.

Ao ashi is the best soccer anime for me

Nov 29, 2022 2:10 PM

Mar 2021
yeah since it's the only football anime i watch
Nov 29, 2022 9:15 PM

Jul 2019
Ao Ashi best FOOTBALL anime
y'all should watch haibane renmei
Nov 29, 2022 9:54 PM

Jan 2018
Yes and there's nothing that even touches blue lock's lows
Nov 30, 2022 12:20 PM

Jul 2012
i've seen maybe 7 other soccer anime and i guess this one is more enjoyable so far

manga though, its not the best
Nov 30, 2022 4:25 PM

Dec 2016
I haven't seen any of it yet, but even then I highly doubt it can top Inazuma Eleven, let alone be even close.
Nov 30, 2022 6:41 PM

Oct 2016
So, literally no one is replying to what was asked. And it makes no sense for people to reply when its their first soccer or sport anime. The animation is only good at times and that's it. The story barely moves on, it reminds me of old BNHA. If anything it's one of the worst sports anime i've seen.
Dec 1, 2022 10:15 PM

Jan 2016
I watch a LOT of sports anime. From Badminton (Hanebado! is underappreciated, jfc Love All Play was bad but the ending was woth wasting my time I guess), to gymnastics (Taisou Samurai...), to Stride (watch Prince of Stride!), to fucking Kabaddi (Burning Kabaddi was meh to say the least). (Eyeshield 21, Tsubasa, Prince of Tennis, Kuroko, MIX and much of all the classics too of course)

So I know what I'm talking about I think as I love wasting my time on these, there's something comfy about them for me, even when it's bad I very rarely can stop and just wanna follow their lives and journeys. But to give you an idea, I never felt more like I wasted my time watching a sports anime than when I watched Ahiru no Sora holy shit. A very good first 1/3 and then a gigantic waste of time, a slideshow fest made worse by its absolute dogshit ending that triggered that huge time wasting feeling. Even the manga author publicly tweeted it was trash.

Anyways, now that we're done with my intro backstory with sports anime, let's talk about Blue Lock which I have actually read a bit before the series got announced / started. I've actually also read Ao Ashi before it got announced / aired.
So I actually didn't like Blue Lock at all when I read it, I found the MC very 1-dimensional and laughable. I couldn't stand him honestly, and the whole Blue Lock concept was (and still is, anime included) as original as it's predictable and lame in the storytelling side of things.
BUT when while reading the manga I could sense some big moments and it never really hitted with me because the manga layout isn't that impactful in the action phases and also they never left a lasting effect, in the anime on the other hand... MAN, that's some brilliant storyboarding. Episode 07 proved that, I remembered that scene in the manga very well as it was something I liked and wished it got more attention, but the anime did that scene justice and some more. Peak sports drama emotion feeling right there
Not the best timing to write that since 08 really took a downhill path, animation wise especially.

NOW, I've also read some of Ao Ashi before the anime got announced and even if we didn't get to see the best moments of the manga, the show still did a great job adapting it. The story, the deep characters and everything about this sport, is so much more well treated in Ao Ashi. It's honestly the best football (sorry I can't) manga I've ever read, so it's just a question of time for it to become the best football anime I've ever watched !
SephirodDec 1, 2022 11:04 PM
My candies :
Dec 2, 2022 12:48 AM
Oct 2019
Nah, still the OG Captain Tsubasa.
Dec 2, 2022 5:43 AM
Dec 2021
MadanielFL said:

same but I like it and no others really interested me + any recs of similar art style animes any genre to ppl reading
Dec 2, 2022 8:57 AM

Jan 2016
YSWKaia said:
MadanielFL said:

same but I like it and no others really interested me + any recs of similar art style animes any genre to ppl reading

Fire Force, there's former Shaft staff there but the art style is very similar, you'll see that some Ego shots seem quite literally taken from Fire Force and its Shinra shots lol
Not quite the same chara-design though, chara-design wise Kuroko no Basket is not too far from it.
My candies :
Dec 2, 2022 7:59 PM

Mar 2012
Is nothing compared to Captain Tsubasa greatness with the best circus leaps. Best of all time.
Dec 19, 2022 6:58 AM
Jun 2022
If you are still interested and have not been up to date there have been 2 banger of an anime this and past season namely
1. Ao Ashi 24 eps
https://myanimelist.net/anime/49052/Ao_Ashi
2. Blue Lock 12 eps(Airing)
https://myanimelist.net/anime/49596/Blue_Lock

Both are pretty great with great story and top notch animation and both cover an aspect of football/soccer never seen before.
I highly recommend both of them.
MannyallsomeDec 30, 2022 4:54 AM
Dec 19, 2022 6:59 AM
Jun 2022
anime_on_demand said:
I've only tried a few soccer anime, but so far this is my favourite. I'm also planning to watch Ao Ashi and Inazuma Eleven eventually.

For those who have seen more soccer anime than me, how does Blue Lock compare?
Ao ashi is a banger
Dec 20, 2022 2:15 AM

May 2015
I much prefer Ao Ashi, more compelling story and realistic games. Blue Lock is entertaining but that's it. Good while popcorn lasts but overall not so great and probably forgettable. It's different, sure, because of battle royal aspect, which can be interesting, but that's also why as a sports anime it's not the best for me.
Dec 22, 2022 9:13 AM

Oct 2021
TBH, Blue lock is good, but in my opinion it is too overhyped by friend, because if you remove action from this anime, it is litreally hollow, story is simple, characters are cringe ngl. Other soccer animes like Days and Ao ashi are good, both plot-wise, story-wise, writing-wise and character-wise. So i prefer them more
Dec 22, 2022 12:45 PM

Feb 2021
Blue Lock is very good, but for em the best soccer anime series that I have watched is Ao Aoshi! I am waiting for the second season announcement!
Mar 27, 2023 10:09 PM

Oct 2008
I'd say I liked it a lot. But while it's exciting, cool, fun and characters have personality, development and a clear goal. It felt like it was meant for a younger audience. I'm not calling it immature, just that, where Ao Ashi had substance, but lacked impact, Blue Lock had impact, but to me felt like it was lacking some substance.
I rated both anime the same, but I appreciated Ao Ashi more, for it's story. While Blue Lock for it's entertainment aspect.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Blue Lock Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

KANLen09 - Mar 25, 2023

354 by PikaLink91 »»
Yesterday, 6:24 PM

Poll: » People who play team sports what's your view on Blue Lock philosophy

ChiefDestiny - Jan 31, 2023

44 by slayra »»
Yesterday, 8:21 AM

Poll: » Blue Lock Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

removed-user - Nov 12, 2022

227 by subtalien »»
Jul 25, 10:44 AM

Poll: » Blue Lock Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

removed-user - Oct 22, 2022

213 by subtalien »»
Jul 24, 8:42 PM

Poll: » Blue Lock Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 15, 2022

305 by subtalien »»
Jul 24, 8:03 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.