Forums

Watching shoujo wont make you less of a man

New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Apr 18, 2020 4:02 PM
Sep 2016
Chiibi said:
Halfdan1 said:

So you're saying it's my fault for not liking the show?

Yes, it's entirely your fault if it's not to your taste.

Look, you either get it or you don't....if you seriously cannot grasp this concept, there's nothing more I can do here.

Yh you're right, we're gonna have to just disagree here. I don't like that kind of thinking because it's also why people don't rate anime properly, people end up not liking a show but still give it a respectable score because it's "well made".
Apr 18, 2020 4:09 PM

Nov 2008
midascruzer said:

Lastly, how can you fend off someone's argument by saying that it's all subjective while clearly implying that the genre is objectively good?

First of all, shoujo is NOT a "genre", it's a 'demographic'. Demographic means 'who it is aimed at.' I would never swear off an ENTIRE demographic because that's a very ignorant thing to do. It's like claiming that thousands and thousands of series you've maybe tried FIVE titles of are "bad".

I can name five shounen series I didn't like. Or seinen. Does that mean I don't like every show that's shounen or seinen? LOLNO. I'm not that stupid.

Apr 18, 2020 4:24 PM

Aug 2016
Chiibi said:
midascruzer said:

Lastly, how can you fend off someone's argument by saying that it's all subjective while clearly implying that the genre is objectively good?

First of all, shoujo is NOT a "genre", it's a 'demographic'. Demographic means 'who it is aimed at.' I would never swear off an ENTIRE demographic because that's a very ignorant thing to do. It's like claiming that thousands and thousands of series you've maybe tried FIVE titles of are "bad".

I can name five shounen series I didn't like. Or seinen. Does that mean I don't like every show that's shounen or seinen? LOLNO. I'm not that stupid.

Ok, you got me there. Shoujo isn't a genre but the same thing applies anyway.

Chiibi said:

You can't really tell how much shoujo one watched and It's not about not liking or liking something.
You've said that you didn't like cowboy bebop while stating that it's well-made.
Now, the original argument was this: shoujo anime are generally not well-made, lazily-written and whatnot.
Apr 18, 2020 4:32 PM

Oct 2018
Chiibi said:
midascruzer said:

I've been thinking this same thing. And it surprises me how many people can avidly watch anime, and still not understand the meanings of tags Japanese give to their anime.

Everyone, it's ok to venture out of your demographic (you probably should!).
It can be a great eye opener and give a broadened perspective into many things.
You might even find something you like ;)
And at the same time, don't buy into the whole tailored demographic bit.
They are selling you a concept based on a stereotype that you are expected to fit into.
Break free of that suggestion, and be yourself. Don't be confined by the demographic people make for you... and if you happen to fit your demographic, that's fine too!
████████▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▀███████
██████▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀██████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████
████░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄▄░░░░░████
████░░▄██████████░░░░░░██▀░░░▀██▄░░████
████░░███████████░░░░░░█▄░░▀░░▄██░░████
█████░░▀▀███████░░░██░░░██▄▄▄█▀▀░░█████
██████░░░░░░▄▄▀░░░████░░░▀▄▄░░░░░██████
█████░░░░░█▄░░░░░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░█▄░░░█████
█████░░░▀▀█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀██▀▀░░█████
██████░░░░░▀█▄░░█░░█░░░█░░█▄▀░░░░██▀▀▀▀
▀░░░▀██▄░░░░░░▀▀█▄▄█▄▄▄█▄▀▀░░░░▄█▀░░░▄▄
▄▄▄░░░▀▀██▄▄▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄▄███░░░▄██▄
██████▄▄░░▀█████▀█████▀██████▀▀░░▄█████
██████████▄░░▀▀█▄░░░░░▄██▀▀▀░▄▄▄███▀▄██
Apr 18, 2020 4:34 PM

Apr 2020
Every male is partly female learn to embrace it.
Apr 18, 2020 4:41 PM
Jul 2018
NO_U_ETC said:
Chiibi said:

I've been thinking this same thing. And it surprises me how many people can avidly watch anime, and still not understand the meanings of tags Japanese give to their anime.

Everyone, it's ok to venture out of your demographic (you probably should!).
It can be a great eye opener and give a broadened perspective into many things.
You might even find something you like ;)
And at the same time, don't buy into the whole tailored demographic bit.
They are selling you a concept based on a stereotype that you are expected to fit into.
Break free of that suggestion, and be yourself. Don't be confined by the demographic people make for you... and if you happen to fit your demographic, that's fine too!

For anime it may be easier.
But for manga it is magazine editors that influence the often inexperienced authors as what to include and what to avoid in their work and that often transfers over to the anime
Apr 18, 2020 5:00 PM

Nov 2008
The best non-mobile adapted Idol anime currently airing are Shoujo and most of their installment don't have romance or anything close to it between main characters either.

Apr 18, 2020 5:26 PM

Nov 2008
@NO_U_ETC

Right!? You miss out too much if you confine yourself to demographics!

Out of curiosity, I looked up the demos of my favorites list.

Shoujo-2 titles
Josei-1 title
Seinen-3 titles

The rest are shounen...and one I really don't know as it's a stand-alone OVA but I'm guessing a shounen one.

Apr 18, 2020 5:39 PM
🔥🔥🔥

Jan 2020
Chiibi said:

Out of curiosity, I looked up the demos of my favorites list.

Shoujo-2 titles
Josei-1 title
Seinen-3 titles

The rest are shounen...and one I really don't know as it's a stand-alone OVA but I'm guessing a shounen one.

Yeah, looking at mine, it's

Shoujo - 5
Shounen - 1
Seinen - 0
Josei - 0

Which perhaps explains why I feel a bit defensive when people say shoujo is shit.

🔥 🔥 🔥 . 阿良々木 暦, 傷 物 語 . 🔥 🔥 🔥
Build a man a fire and you'll warm him for a night
but set a man on fire and you'll warm him
for the rest of his life...
- H E N D Y -
Apr 18, 2020 6:03 PM

Nov 2008
@horridhendy

I noticed you have Howl's in your favorites. :O

I think that is also a very shoujo-ish story. xD And a good one. I would say it's not always easy to figure out Ghibli targets (aside from 'family and kids' but I would say Howl's Moving Castle, Kiki's Delivery Service, Whisper of the Heart, The Cat Returns, and The Secret World of Arriety are more appealing to girls than guys.

Apr 18, 2020 6:19 PM

May 2019
Yeah man, i agree, i've watched Shoujo Ramune 4 times now and im an alpha male, masculinity 1000%

https://myanimelist.net/anime/32587/Shoujo_Ramune?q=shoujo%20ramune

Apr 18, 2020 6:22 PM

Dec 2010
You see my list its mostly shounen it does not make me any less female.
Apr 18, 2020 6:49 PM

May 2011
Here's a thought

Watching occasional shoujo time will not make you less masculine.

Watching only shoujo and love-centric stories for long enough may actually have an effect on a male, but it is all relative to time spent doing so in conjunction with other elements of his life.

The following are some good things to consider: Does he have male friends? Does he have any male role models? Does he work with other males? Does he compete in anything or enjoy watching anything competitive (martial arts, sports, etc)? Is he emotionally stable? Is he grounded in his masculinity? Is he insecure?

There are many other things to consider, but there's just a few examples. Now, if you take a male who let's say, is not grounded in his masculinity and is quite emotional, in his feelings day-to-day and is unable to accomplish basic yet important tasks in his life because he often "doesn't feel like it", you might say that person doesn't have any bearing on what makes him masculine.

Now, if this same person decides that 99% of what they watch, for years, is shoujo, it's quite possible that this person may be stuck on the same side of the masculine-feminine spectrum that we just described. If they are easily influenced, it's true that hammering these shows could be like brainwashing them to desire certain things or to be a certain way, or that it is okay to just be in their emotions all the time as a male.

Down the road, these traits if repeated will actually exacerbate one's femininity, in turn making someone less masculine, or keeping them from being their idealized version of masculinity.

Now please, if someone is grounded in who they are and they enjoy some shoujo in their lives, then by all means - it will not have this effect on them. This prior example is aimed at more impressionable men who are chronically struggling with their identity or emotions in some way.

Personally, I will say there's some great shoujo out there. It's just not all I like. I like stories of achievement, of competition, of striving through hardships to victory, but also themes of complex emotional development with a satisfying resolution as well.

To refuse all shoujo because of this idea is ignorant. You would be missing out on some high quality content. I just personally don't think it should be all any man who considers himself a masculine individual desires to watch, that's all.

Apr 18, 2020 6:52 PM

Jun 2017
So long as you're swift as the coursing river with all the force of a great typhoon with all the strength of a raging fire and mysterious as the dark side of the moon you are a man.
Apr 18, 2020 6:58 PM

Aug 2018
Shoujo is for females or girly boys, pls, don't try to make the straight male weaker... fking terrorist
Apr 18, 2020 7:16 PM

Nov 2008
SlightWeeb said:
So long as you're swift as the coursing river with all the force of a great typhoon with all the strength of a raging fire and mysterious as the dark side of the moon you are a man.

I see what you did there. :D

pretty mad that movie has the be delayed now

Apr 18, 2020 9:00 PM

Nov 2019
Watching shoujo (or shounen) won't make you broad minded, there are better things in life. This is because the creators behind these terms or genres is not broad minded
"All truth is meaningless. In the end, 'meaning' comes from the mind of each individual human. Even when there is a single truth, it can mean different things to different individuals. The truth has no meaning in itself!" - Erika Furudo
Apr 18, 2020 10:29 PM

Apr 2020
Of course not, watching shoujo is like trying to see in female perspective, it's interesting, you ship a guy you like to the female lead and you know his the right one and sometimes you feel conscious that maybe if you are the same as that guy the girl will fall for you.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 18, 2020 10:59 PM
Dec 2018
Tbh, I don’t get the “Man scale”. Like seriously. If you identify as a man, than you are a man. I don’t put you on a scale and think “He’s less of a man because of this” or some bullshit like that.
Apr 19, 2020 9:47 AM

Dec 2019
I'mma keep it real with you chief, it's rare that anybody actually thinks this. If they don't watch shoujo, most of the time it's not because they believe it makes them "Less of a man". It's just that person's taste. When people say that, I honestly believe you haven't been around guys. Because the vast majority of anime fans I know don't care all that much.
Apr 19, 2020 10:20 AM

Nov 2008
Laplace_kun said:
This is because the creators behind these terms or genres is not broad minded

That's a load. I create shoujo content and I'm broad-minded. It's not unheard of for shoujo writers to switch genres and demographics either.

Apr 19, 2020 10:26 AM

Nov 2019
Chiibi said:
Laplace_kun said:
This is because the creators behind these terms or genres is not broad minded

That's a load. I create shoujo content and I'm broad-minded. It's not unheard of for shoujo writers to switch genres and demographics either.

Hey, I have nothing against content creators. I am speaking about the bureaucrats who has stereotypically imposed these terms to be meant for specific genders (and hence the naming). This causes actual talented authors to lose their independence in writing. These days, gladly, that rift is slowly vanishing.
"All truth is meaningless. In the end, 'meaning' comes from the mind of each individual human. Even when there is a single truth, it can mean different things to different individuals. The truth has no meaning in itself!" - Erika Furudo
Apr 19, 2020 10:35 AM
Tail On!

Aug 2018
Let people watch what they want, insecure boys won't think it's cool to watch shoujo but who cares?

Also there's a lot of bad shoujo if you're not into blatant pandering and they are often some of the most popular and highly praised ones *cough* Fruits Basket *cough* so it's hard to navigate the demographic.
Apr 19, 2020 11:28 AM

Nov 2008
Roevhaal said:
Let people watch what they want, insecure boys won't think it's cool to watch shoujo but who cares?

Also there's a lot of bad shoujo if you're not into blatant pandering and they are often some of the most popular and highly praised ones *cough* Fruits Basket *cough* so it's hard to navigate the demographic.

Please explain why you think Fruits Basket is "bad" because you are in the minority, here. Majorly in the minority. It is a *wonderful* series and gets praise for good reasons.
ChiibiApr 19, 2020 11:33 AM

Apr 19, 2020 11:31 AM

Oct 2010
The only downside to shoujo is that after a few shows you start seeing bubbles, flowers and sparkles whenever someone comes into your field of vision. It happened to me but after a while it all dissapears. Shoujo has some great stories and awesome character designs.
Apr 19, 2020 11:45 AM
Tail On!

Aug 2018
Chiibi said:
Roevhaal said:

Please explain why you think Fruits Basket is "bad" because you are in the minority, here. Majorly in the minority. It is a *wonderful* series and gets praise for good reasons.
It's shoujo pandering plain and simple, all male characters are garbage, they are one note walking tropes with a smither of cry bait serving as husbando bait for young girls. The only redeeming quality were the backstories with Tooru, her mom and her friends. It's very sad to see shoujo with such abysmal writing make it to the top when fantastic ones like Maria-sama ga Miteru and Saiunkoku Monogatari remain largely unknown.
Apr 19, 2020 11:48 AM

Sep 2018
Thank you for clearing up a misconception that nobody ever had.
Apr 19, 2020 11:51 AM

Nov 2008
Roevhaal said:
plain and simple, all male characters are garbage, they are one note walking tropes

They most certainly ARE NOT. They are the deconstruction of such archetypes. That's a major theme of the show. 'Everyone is a person with strengths and flaws, not a flat pretty face for you to drool over."

Maria-sama ga Miteru

I don't like girls' love. :p

Saiunkoku Monogatari

Might watch that eventually...
ChiibiApr 19, 2020 11:55 AM

Apr 19, 2020 11:56 AM
Tail On!

Aug 2018
Chiibi said:
Roevhaal said:
plain and simple, all male characters are garbage, they are one note walking tropes

They most certainly ARE NOT. They are the deconstruction of such archetypes. That's a major theme of the show. 'Everyone is a person with strengths and flaws, not a flat pretty face for you to drool over."

Maria-sama ga Miteru

I don't like girls' love. :p

Yea sure, keep telling yourself that, I haven't seen anything redeemable about the male characters in the show. Also Hiro is the most punchable character I've ever come across.

Maria-sama ga Miteru isn't girls love...
RoevhaalApr 19, 2020 11:59 AM
Apr 19, 2020 12:04 PM

Nov 2008
Roevhaal said:

Yea sure, keep telling yourself that.

I don't have to tell myself that; I can prove it, using Yuki as an example.

Yuki is a deconstruction of 'the prince archetype'. See, prince archetypes in shoujo are mainly there to just look pretty and be perfect for the heroine to go all googly for. They hardly ever get development.

But in this show, Yuki's 'prince mode' is just a facade. In reality, he is a bitter, tortured soul who doesn't like himself or easily make friends. As characters point out, he was even unable to smile until Tooru spent a lot of time with him. Last season was about him opening up to her and this season is about him opening up to OTHER people and becoming more like 'a normal young man' despite his curse and his inner demons. We've still got quite a ways to go, though.

Also Hiro is the most punchable character I've ever come across.

He's bratty but I like him. The only character I don't like is Kagura.

Complaining that Fruits Basket panders because "the men are attractive" is like complaining that Boku No Hero panders because "the women are attractive".

No dice. Anime is filled with pretty people in every demographic and genre.
ChiibiApr 19, 2020 12:16 PM

Apr 19, 2020 12:17 PM
Apr 2020
One of the animes i grew up with is Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne and I still loveeee it.
Apr 19, 2020 12:19 PM
Tail On!

Aug 2018
Chiibi said:
Roevhaal said:

Yea sure, keep telling yourself that.

I don't have to tell myself that; I can prove it, using Yuki as an example.

Yuki is a deconstruction of 'the prince archetype'. See, prince archetypes in shoujo are mainly there to just look pretty and be perfect for the heroine to go all googly for. They hardly ever get development.

But in this show, Yuki's 'prince mode' is just a facade. In reality, he is a bitter, tortured soul who doesn't like himself or easily make friends. As characters point out, he was even unable to smile until Tooru spent a lot of time with him. Last season was about him opening up to her and this season is about him opening up to OTHER people and becoming more like 'a normal young man' despite his curse and his inner demons. We've still got quite a ways to go, though.

Also Hiro is the most punchable character I've ever come across.

He's bratty but I like him. The only character I don't like is Kagura.

Complaining that Fruits Basket panders because "the men are attractive" is like complaining that Boku No Hero panders because "the women are attractive".

No dice.

If that's enough for you then have fun, I got extremely bored of the series afer a few episodes. Nice comparison with BNHA btw, it's kinda like the garbage shounen equavilent to Fruits Basket, glad you can see that. Bland generic power fantasy with bland garbage characters. It definitly panders to young boys even if we completely ignore the female waifu bait.

My issue isn't at all related to the attractiveness of the male characters, Saiunkoku which I used as an example of shoujo done right has much more attractive male characters.
Apr 19, 2020 12:23 PM

Nov 2008
Roevhaal said:
If that's enough for you then have fun, I got extremely bored of the series afer a few episodes.

It's slice of life, and yes, slow-moving so if you said "I just find it boring" in the first place, I'd have more respect. :/

Nice comparison with BNHA btw, it's kinda like the garbage shounen equavilent to Fruits Basket, glad you can see that.

I don't think BNHA's characters are "garbage" either; it was simply the first shounen title that popped into my head. :p

Apr 19, 2020 12:31 PM
Tail On!

Aug 2018
Chiibi said:
Roevhaal said:
If that's enough for you then have fun, I got extremely bored of the series afer a few episodes.

It's slice of life, and yes, slow-moving so if you said "I just find it boring" in the first place, I'd have more respect. :/

Nice comparison with BNHA btw, it's kinda like the garbage shounen equavilent to Fruits Basket, glad you can see that.

I don't think BNHA's characters are "garbage" either; it was simply the first shounen title that popped into my head. :p
Slice of Life is one of my favourite genres, I love slow moving plots building up their characters. Fruits Basket doesn't offer anything of value on that front though, there's no subtle depth to it. Which I guess is what I was really trying to get at.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» Shoujo anime

Daniellaaa - 6 hours ago

21 by Ohayotaku »»
2 seconds ago

» Have you ever considered picking up drawing anime as a hobby? ( 1 2 )

Anjuro - Jun 3

79 by Anjuro »»
29 minutes ago

Poll: » Best part of Fate Franchise?

Diamtheroad - 5 hours ago

19 by Guilmon1 »»
38 minutes ago

» Which anime character do you think would make the best therapist, and why? Would you want to be their patient?

Wendoka - May 28

23 by FanofAction »»
50 minutes ago

» Most Overrated/Underrated Anime Discussion Thread v.5 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Tyrel - Apr 26, 2016

4207 by Kurt_Irving »»
52 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.