Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Apr 8, 2020 8:31 PM

Jan 2020
Our expectations were too large for probably one of the best webtoons out there, to be placed upon a lesser known studio. (though the only complaints I have are pacing and adapting only 13 episodes, so far the studio is doing a great job)

Also we have to understand that anime watchers wouldn't know too much so they would probably rate this a 5, 6, or 7

For the webtoon readers, we pretty much know a lot more so we would probably rate this as high as the webtoon,

if you're wanting this anime to be rated higher, we just have to wait until they unveil more about the Tower of God,

that way the anime watchers will see this as something more than a generic shounen.

My message to anime watchers is to not drop this early as the 3 episode rule, for you need to see it all to see its' worth.
KatoWorksApr 8, 2020 9:35 PM
Apr 8, 2020 8:37 PM

Jul 2019
My expectations were never high, which is why I'm enjoying the show very much. It's honestly much better than I expected.
Apr 8, 2020 9:07 PM
May 2019
Kaato69 said:
Our expectations were too large for probably one of the best webtoons out there, to be placed upon a lesser known studio.

Also we have to understand that anime watchers wouldn't know too much so they would probably rate this a 5, 6, or 7

For the webtoon readers, we pretty much know a lot more so we would probably rate this as high as the webtoon,

if you're wanting this anime to be rated higher, we just have to wait until they unveil more about the Tower of God,

that way the anime watchers will see this as something more than a generic shounen.

My message to anime watchers is to not drop this early as the 3 episode rule, for you need to see it all to see its' worth.

the studio did a good job for TOG, and like you said the hype made ppl think that TOG will bring them over from the first episode besides don't talk like if they didn't change anything from the webtoon it was gonna be better nope it was gonna be worse, i've seen the second episode and the changes they made were spot on ( the funny scenes were remarkable ) the webtoon first chapters were just boring and hella confusing i like the work they done n reducing even more confusing informations, no matter the studio tower of god can't be better than it's currently is, so if you're disappointed then speak for yourself not everyone.

some anime wathers think that episode 2 was better than the first one, but that's not it the first episode was supposed to confusing all your answers in the first episode will be answered that's the kind of story TOG supposed to be.
Apr 8, 2020 9:17 PM
Jan 2016
The bottom line is that this is a good adaptation. And the reality is that anime-onlys are not going to rate it as high as people who have read the source material have. We all know that Tower of God is slow to pick up, and very gradual in introducing it's deeper themes. The deeper narrative (at least for me personally) didn't really start to shine until well into the 2nd arc, which we know at this point isn't getting adapted yet.

It stinks that we have to listen to whiners complain about how ToG is overrated, but it's just inevitable given the manhua's slow start.
Apr 8, 2020 9:32 PM

Jan 2020
soulking123 said:
Kaato69 said:
Our expectations were too large for probably one of the best webtoons out there, to be placed upon a lesser known studio.

the studio did a good job for TOG, and like you said the hype made ppl think that TOG will bring them over from the first episode besides don't talk like if they didn't change anything from the webtoon it was gonna be better nope it was gonna be worse, i've seen the second episode and the changes they made were spot on ( the funny scenes were remarkable ) the webtoon first chapters were just boring and hella confusing i like the work they done n reducing even more confusing informations, no matter the studio tower of god can't be better than it's currently is, so if you're disappointed then speak for yourself not everyone.

some anime wathers think that episode 2 was better than the first one, but that's not it the first episode was supposed to confusing all your answers in the first episode will be answered that's the kind of story TOG supposed to be.
I'm not dissapointed at all, actually I very much enjoy this and everyone has a different opinion, but I guess your also right the studio is doing a good job, just the only complaints I really have are the pacing, and how many episodes we are getting. They probably cut out some parts of the webtoon early on, because they can add it back later for it to make sense
KatoWorksApr 8, 2020 9:40 PM
Apr 9, 2020 1:49 AM
Apr 2020
Personally im fine with most if it except for the horrible changes, especially dialogue changes, made to the eel test, which led to really dumb things like Yuri giving Bam Black March simply because he has a cute face. Episode 2 as a whole was far more faithful to the original probably what let it feel overall better paced.
The studio itself has done a great job with music, voice acting and animation but is really held back by the 13 episode count as stuff will inevitably be skipped or changed at 6 chapters per episode. I get that a lot of other readers are like "You find out more later" but a lot of stuff (e.g Bams relation to Rachel and how he sees her) were already somewhat explored by this point, just in non direct, subtle ways.
Apr 9, 2020 2:07 AM

Feb 2020
CodyII said:
Personally im fine with most if it except for the horrible changes, especially dialogue changes, made to the eel test, which led to really dumb things like Yuri giving Bam Black March simply because he has a cute face. Episode 2 as a whole was far more faithful to the original probably what let it feel overall better paced.
The studio itself has done a great job with music, voice acting and animation but is really held back by the 13 episode count as stuff will inevitably be skipped or changed at 6 chapters per episode. I get that a lot of other readers are like "You find out more later" but a lot of stuff (e.g Bams relation to Rachel and how he sees her) were already somewhat explored by this point, just in non direct, subtle ways.

Agree. Some say it's the "dialogue heavy" ch 1-5 vs more action for ch 6-11, but to me it's a deliberate choice to change so many of the dialogue to create a gag in ep 1. And to spend an entire 2 min on the preview intro.

Ep 2 also has a lot of dialogue / info, but they aren't changed too much to create a wrong impression on the watchers at least. Ep 2 dialogues kept the essence of what made tog popular, vs ep 1 dialogues which was way too simplified and dumbed down to be "shonen"-ish in my opinion.

Ep1 felt like a personal interpretation/summary of the chapters, causing a lot of misunderstanding to watchers who didn't have access to the same info, like misinterpreting Yuri's actions etc. And the director wanted to "pay homage" to the panels, leading to complaints of shoddy animation.

Ep 2 managed to understand the material well, and adapt / change things while keeping the spirit of the chapters. Ep 1 is not entirely terrible, but many bad decisions all around.

If this reflects the difference in storyboarding standard between the episode directors (Sano for ep 1 and Hanai for ep 2), then I shudder to think what is about to come. Because Sano is the overall director.
Apr 9, 2020 3:41 AM
Jan 2017
As an anime only, i dont think this is a bad start of a series that has been hyped a lot, but at the same time there is noting spectacular about it so far, and this is why many first watchers got disapointed. This is most likely the type of series that doesnt have a fantastic begining, it get instead better by the episodes. So far altough there are problems in the pacing, in some weirs introduction of some characters, in the lack of details in explaining what happened, and even though the start is so generic and is similar to shows like hunter x hunter and sao, tower of god has really the potentiel to be a great anime.
So far the mystery is what drives the show, the world building is also good, the characters are generic so far but enjoyable, the ost is fantastic and the animation is good enough, the biggest problem for me was the luck of story: so far there is no story to tell, a bunch of people climbing a tour cant be called a story at all, the motivations of the mc are still not clear even if they showed some flashbacks of him with rachel. It's still not enough to tell a proper story. So what i want to see in the futur is to give more attention and more time to create and developp a story that will give you an idea where the things are heading taking in consideration the characters back stories and motivations. I think this is a fondamental point that they have to work on in order to make an amazing anime, cause the mystery will do its effect in the first episodes,but a story is needed in order to make the watcher care for the characters and get more attached to the anime.
Apr 9, 2020 8:03 AM
Oct 2019
Well, I think the better advice is that you need to read the webtoon. It's useless to watch this anime. The storylines were rushed, pacing was ruined, and nonsense dialogues.

And you right, my expectation was high.
Apr 9, 2020 2:25 PM
Jan 2018
hamza121419 said:
As an anime only, i dont think this is a bad start of a series that has been hyped a lot, but at the same time there is noting spectacular about it so far, and this is why many first watchers got disapointed. This is most likely the type of series that doesnt have a fantastic begining, it get instead better by the episodes. So far altough there are problems in the pacing, in some weirs introduction of some characters, in the lack of details in explaining what happened, and even though the start is so generic and is similar to shows like hunter x hunter and sao, tower of god has really the potentiel to be a great anime.
So far the mystery is what drives the show, the world building is also good, the characters are generic so far but enjoyable, the ost is fantastic and the animation is good enough, the biggest problem for me was the luck of story: so far there is no story to tell, a bunch of people climbing a tour cant be called a story at all, the motivations of the mc are still not clear even if they showed some flashbacks of him with rachel. It's still not enough to tell a proper story. So what i want to see in the futur is to give more attention and more time to create and developp a story that will give you an idea where the things are heading taking in consideration the characters back stories and motivations. I think this is a fondamental point that they have to work on in order to make an amazing anime, cause the mystery will do its effect in the first episodes,but a story is needed in order to make the watcher care for the characters and get more attached to the anime.

Unfortunately back stories and motivations starts after the first arc which won't be in this season.
Apr 9, 2020 4:49 PM
Apr 2020
I believe we so get some level of motivation from a lot of the side characters, though if i remember correctly the motivation reveals are far more closely tied to the world building and how the tower itself works than specific motivations.
For Bam though, it's true that his motivation mostly develops in season 2 as in season 1 he's kind of a clean slate, comparable in attitude towards the world to that of a newborn child. In the long run i ended up liking this as his growth felt a bit more organic that a lot of series, where the MC usually already has their ideology and motivation already defined (e.g Deku wanting to become the Nr 1 Hero) but god damn did it make him such a somewhat boring and extremely naive character in season 1, though luckily the strong side characters of S1 helped mitigate this.
Apr 10, 2020 5:09 AM

Dec 2008
Yah if bias toward a higher rating for something means anything, I would still rather be an outlander.

If a show is good, its gotta stand on its own regardless of source material. The medium can change things totally, of course, but if done right it becomes a piece of art.

So though I am not into manga esque webtoons from that self same named site, and though I didnt hear about the franchise until I began watching it an hour ago, the show seems decent, maybe a 7. THats still a pretty high mark considering the the mediocrity of shows, manga, comics, films and anime and music in general in the last decade alone. Hard to get originality these days, so a lot of things in the anime are not breathe taking. Still it seems good though already too focused on something romantic or some other similarly styled fixation.
Apr 10, 2020 6:08 AM

Dec 2019
Do not engage with AlphaOmegaKnight, we have a theory that it migh be TheAnimeSnob's other account. According to a user on that trend that asks why "TheAnimeSnob hates TOG" this other user (AlpOmeKni) always posts things about him and they are also the ones that posted that question on the forum. He is obviously trying to create clout for himself and now that comment about triggered TOG fans and with his history of shitting on MHA makes me think it's really him...
Apr 10, 2020 6:23 AM

Jul 2019
AlphaOmegaKnight said:
TOG fanboys are now triggered worse than MHA fanboys
the fuck does that have to do with anything?
Apr 10, 2020 6:59 AM
May 2017
_simplethoughts said:
My expectations were never high, which is why I'm enjoying the show very much. It's honestly much better than I expected.

Me too since TOG isn’t even in my top 10 favourite WEBTOONs. I mean I have read some of the original source but I dropped it about 2 years ago and was seeing if the anime would help me pick the series back up from where I left off. So far it’s doing a pretty good job. Gosh I can also just imagined how I would of ignored series like hxh and one piece if I judged anime off just the first episode. Let’s be real the first couple of episodes to both these anime ( and many more anime ) are nothing special
Apr 10, 2020 4:28 PM

Mar 2014
Jeppy11 said:
AlphaOmegaKnight said:
TOG fanboys are now triggered worse than MHA fanboys

Your swearing and response has EVERYTHING to do with they said.
"You can't spell slaughter without laughter".
Apr 10, 2020 4:46 PM

Jul 2019
HueyLion said:
Jeppy11 said:

Your swearing and response has EVERYTHING to do with they said.
in what way exactly?
Apr 11, 2020 12:01 AM
Jun 2017
Just sayin', we think that ep1 and ep2 is quite good because we are able to pick up the subtle hints and plot elements that are revisited later in the series and is amused. Most people who didn't read the webtoon will not be able to do that. Personally, I don't even want to bother with those people that hate on the anime for these reason and tell them how they are wrong as it will actually spoil the story.
Apr 11, 2020 8:56 AM
Aug 2018
Kaato69 said:

why give the anime adaptation the rating you'd give to the webtoon??
the adaptation isn't even finished
Apr 11, 2020 9:12 AM

Jan 2020
x_Keita said:
Kaato69 said:

I mean the diehard fans would probably rate this as high as the webtoon because they are on the edge on this adaptation since they know the story is really good, but they will also see at the end of the season, what the adaptation really turns out to be.
Apr 11, 2020 9:21 AM
Aug 2018
Kaato69 said:
x_Keita said:

I mean the diehard fans would probably rate this as high as the webtoon because they are on the edge on this adaptation since they know the story is really good, but they will also see at the end of the season, what the adaptation really turns out to be.

well, hopefully it doesn't have an extremely unfair overall rating due to those fans
mal ratings are already bad enough due to bots
Apr 11, 2020 9:53 AM

Feb 2020
x_Keita said:
Kaato69 said:

well, hopefully it doesn't have an extremely unfair overall rating due to those fans
If you look at those who added the webtoon source to their database on MAL, it's only 20k people. The anime has 120k people now and growing, don't think it'll matter a lot in the future.

At any rate there's hardly any of the readers here, 20k people, and the subscribers to the official English webtoon alone was 1.7M. The webtoon entry wasn't even added until Nov 2019, and most already have a community on reddit or discord for the past 9 years before that.
Apr 11, 2020 11:25 AM
Aug 2018
yuzuruhanyuu said:
x_Keita said:

If you look at those who added the webtoon source to their database on MAL, it's only 20k people. The anime has 120k people now and growing, don't think it'll matter a lot in the future.

At any rate there's hardly any of the readers here, 20k people, and the subscribers to the official English webtoon alone was 1.7M. The webtoon entry wasn't even added until Nov 2019, and most already have a community on reddit or discord for the past 9 years before that.

ah that's good to hear
Apr 11, 2020 4:51 PM

Oct 2007
As an anime watcher here, I think this show is doing pretty good. I am interesting to see what happen next or what in the store to be unfold.

yuzuruhanyuu said:
x_Keita said:

Mal has been an anime place before anything else will probably continue to be that way. It has nothing to do with being webtoon or not. Having 20k in population is an achievement in itself.

"A Legend is but a tale of a beautiful lie."
Apr 11, 2020 9:13 PM
Oct 2018
i’m watching the anime though then i’m going to read the webtoon. that said, i already like it a lot. there are quite a few unanswered questions but i see a lot of potential and i’m excited to see how it unfurls!
Apr 11, 2020 9:47 PM

Feb 2020
Siva said:
As an anime watcher here, I think this show is doing pretty good. I am interesting to see what happen next or what in the store to be unfold.

yuzuruhanyuu said:

Mal has been an anime place before anything else will probably continue to be that way. It has nothing to do with being webtoon or not. Having 20k in population is an achievement in itself.
yea, I'm just saying that he probably doesn't have to be concerned about "webtoon readers manipulating the scores" because you cannot fight sheer volume.
Apr 11, 2020 9:48 PM

Feb 2020
ThatOneWeirdKid said:
i’m watching the anime though then i’m going to read the webtoon. that said, i already like it a lot. there are quite a few unanswered questions but i see a lot of potential and i’m excited to see how it unfurls!
glad to see you like it! :D welcome to the family!
Apr 14, 2020 1:40 AM
Oct 2019
Well, my opinion is that I better read Manhwa. Its infinite better than anime that have a rushed storylines. I gotta jumped to manhwa.
Apr 14, 2020 2:48 AM
Apr 2020
YESTORAKS said:
Well, my opinion is that I better read Manhwa. Its infinite better than anime that have a rushed storylines. I gotta jumped to manhwa.

Not gonna like the webtoon if you didn't like the episode 2, they fucked up episode 1(changed/cut some main points which will become a factor later in the story and keep you more interested about certain people and the world). But episode 2 was pretty good except for the misunderstanding of luck and explanation of shinsu(but it's only info related which many readers already explained in this thread multiple times, about having a cute face and the luck factor). I need to tell you that art of season 1 webtoon is below average if you compare it to chapters released right now. So if you are not interested in the story and world building, the art will only boost your negativity.
Apr 14, 2020 2:55 AM
Oct 2019
BLOODRipper said:
YESTORAKS said:

Not gonna like the webtoon if you didn't like the episode 2, they fucked up episode 1(changed/cut some main points which will become a factor later in the story and keep you more interested about certain people and the world). But episode 2 was pretty good except for the misunderstanding of luck and explanation of shinsu(but it's only info related which many readers already explained in this thread multiple times, about having a cute face and the luck factor). I need to tell you that art of season 1 webtoon is below average if you compare it to chapters released right now. So if you are not interested in the story and world building, the art will only boost your negativity.
Do i cares about the art? Besides, the anime was completely rushed and I read the webtoon to "fill in the blank". I dont care honestly about the arts in webtoon are just like Microsoft Paint. And I need to tell you that you dont need to care about the arts and read the source material instead of anime that have a great art but rushed storylines. Thank you
Apr 14, 2020 3:26 AM
Apr 2020
YESTORAKS said:
BLOODRipper said:

Do i cares about the art? Besides, the anime was completely rushed and I read the webtoon to "fill in the blank". I dont care honestly about the arts in webtoon are just like Microsoft Paint. And I need to tell you that you dont need to care about the arts and read the source material instead of anime that have a great art but rushed storylines. Thank you

I only said it coz anime's art style is better compared to webtoon. So both anime and webtoon have their flaws. A lot of people saying anime's art style is trash and all, I don't get it. The only flaw I can think of is the animation and pacing of episode 1. Episode 2 seems above average to me. I'll be ok if they can keep it up. I guess episode 1 ruined all the hype for 1st timers. I still think it's above average, but it might be only because I've read the source material.
Apr 14, 2020 9:18 AM

Aug 2013
The fans of this series should be careful. From my experience, they're overzealous and having an annoying fanbase is something others use as an excuse to completely avoid trying a series.
Apr 14, 2020 10:02 AM

Feb 2020
ImWaltz said:
The fans of this series should be careful. From my experience, they're overzealous and having an annoying fanbase is something others use as an excuse to completely avoid trying a series.
lol the chill ones won't visit MAL, they got their own communities for the past 9 years when ToG wasn't even on MAL. Only the craziest one come over
Apr 14, 2020 11:00 AM
Apr 2020
yuzuruhanyuu said:
ImWaltz said:
lol the chill ones won't visit MAL, they got their own communities for the past 9 years when ToG wasn't even on MAL. Only the craziest one come over

Yeah, from my experience, the ones here and the ones you will find in places like discord and reddit are very different.
Apr 14, 2020 11:35 AM

Aug 2016
I have no complain here either, I am about to up to date manwha so it's some time I read first chapters, but I know it was especially long a boring, I am so glad they make first floor into not whole first episode. I start to read manwha like 3 times and didn't get hype for it, didn't made it past first few chapters. But then, when I finally got to floor 2, fun began and I am reading since then. It's gonna be similar with anime. (But for me personally, season 2 is where story really started)
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 14, 2020 4:54 PM
Apr 2017
the pacing in this anime is pretty weird tbh
Apr 14, 2020 6:07 PM
Apr 2020
Martin_Taylor said:
I have no complain here either, I am about to up to date manwha so it's some time I read first chapters, but I know it was especially long a boring, I am so glad they make first floor into not whole first episode. I start to read manwha like 3 times and didn't get hype for it, didn't made it past first few chapters. But then, when I finally got to floor 2, fun began and I am reading since then. It's gonna be similar with anime. (But for me personally, season 2 is where story really started)

we dont even know if this will get a season 2
it all depends on the success of this season
Apr 15, 2020 6:23 AM

Oct 2013
"Have faith, it gets better after 200 episodes"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnl7fIZjNNI
Apr 15, 2020 9:11 AM
Jul 2018
i havent read the webtoon but im really enjoying the anime so far
the only thing that actually bothers me is why yuri gave bam the sword. she said she did it bc he has a cute face but i dont think thats a good reason¿
plus the animation isnt great but i dont care that much about it actually so nvm
Apr 15, 2020 9:33 AM
Dec 2018
Since we're real here, should I watch the whole anime first or just fly through the 500 chapters that are already out right now?😂
Apr 15, 2020 10:41 AM

Jan 2020
machetevuoi said:
Since we're real here, should I watch the whole anime first or just fly through the 500 chapters that are already out right now?😂
I would recommend reading the manwha, but you can also take your time to indulge in the anime, especially towards the end.
Apr 18, 2020 11:38 PM

Apr 2020
tfujszempaj said:
i havent read the webtoon but im really enjoying the anime so far
the only thing that actually bothers me is why yuri gave bam the sword. she said she did it bc he has a cute face but i dont think thats a good reason¿
plus the animation isnt great but i dont care that much about it actually so nvm

That's not the actual reason for why she decided to help him. I really can't figure out what were they thinking when they decided that it would be a great idea to change it in the anime. And Black March is supposed to be a needle but for some stupid reason they changed that too...
Apr 19, 2020 6:16 AM
Sep 2016
_simplethoughts said:
same, i knew Everyone really hyping it up but i ignore it and went with pretty much standard expectation and now with episode 3 im really interested in TOG World lore and character (so far im really interested in Khun as he is very similar to Killua minus loving his sister? And getting used up by her)
Apr 19, 2020 6:22 AM
Sep 2016
If ToG is really great as everybody said it would be im gonna enjoy this! Even some great anime has bad start. Gintama come to mind with said bad start, people getting really bored really fast with same old gag being used until 50+ episodes...50+! EPISODES! to get really interesting and funny as hell! And also lot of new characters
Apr 19, 2020 9:15 AM
Apr 2019
Honestly, as an anime only, I really like ToG and I always have this feeling of frustration, because I have to wait an entire week to watch the next episode. I haven't had that feeling in a long time. What I like most about ToG, is it's atmosphere. We viewers are thrown into this world with no explanation, just like Bam, with only one thing to go on: climb the tower and your wish will be granted. We learn something new about this mysterious world each episode and just so intriguing. It's sad that it's only 13 episodes, I wish it would've been 2-cour with 25-ish episodes at least, since from what I understand, this series just gets better and better the further you watch/read it, right? I'm rooting for ToG's success and for a potential season 2!
Apr 19, 2020 11:14 AM

Jul 2019
Rei_Shiki said:
_simplethoughts said:
same, i knew Everyone really hyping it up but i ignore it and went with pretty much standard expectation and now with episode 3 im really interested in TOG World lore and character (so far im really interested in Khun as he is very similar to Killua minus loving his sister? And getting used up by her)

If you like it now, the story gets even better!
Apr 19, 2020 11:16 AM

Mar 2019
Idk why it doesn't get that much of recognition. I quite like the series even after just 3 episodes...
Thank you for reading my post.
Because I wouldn't.
Apr 20, 2020 1:35 AM
Apr 2020
Anime-only would call it overrated, but actually the fandom is strong which is proofing the original source is legit to read. But fandom expected to high, well as a fan i don't see any problem except anime-pacing.
Apr 20, 2020 3:03 AM

Oct 2019
i'm not gonna lie, i'm really salty about this anime adaptation because i didn't like the webtoon and i was sad that this was the first to be animated when there are some other really epic choices out there...

...but i've heard good things about the anime, so i might as well try it.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kami no Tou Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

SingleH - Jun 24, 2020

460 by YagoPRO123 »»
May 18, 6:49 AM

Poll: » Kami no Tou Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 15, 2020

336 by Ratris_Decision »»
Apr 19, 1:10 AM

Poll: » Kami no Tou Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 1, 2020

591 by Ratris_Decision »»
Apr 16, 3:12 AM

» Is Tower of God Worth Watching or Reading?

Cherish-Life - Mar 14

16 by Madhukar13g »»
Mar 27, 11:02 PM

Poll: » Kami no Tou Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

KANLen09 - Jun 17, 2020

456 by Kira_ga_Kiru »»
Feb 23, 11:55 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.