Forum Settings
Forums

When anime get a sequel or Reboot, why do the voice actors change?

New
Feb 25, 2019 10:28 PM
Feb 2014
I have noticed that when there's a large gap of time between the adaptation and the sequel/remake, the voice actors are replaced with new ones, and while that may not always be a bad thing, sometimes certain voices are too iconic and simply just cannot be replaced, so, then why does this happen?

If the voice actors are still alive, why can't they just reprise their roles?
Is it because they no longer have contracts with the studios? Couldn't they just renew the contracts in that case? I know in Fruits Basket's case it was because the Mangaka herself wished to change everything from the old version, including all the voices, but that's not the case with every remake/reboot and it got me thinking....

Let's discuss this, what's your opinion on this? Is there an anime you dread a reboot/sequel for because you know they'll change the voices? Which voice replacement did you think was actually on par with or even better than the original voice? Which voice replacement didn't you like and why? Etc.

For me, i dread a reboot/sequel of Katekyo Hitman Reborn! the most, because many of the characters just wouldn't be the same anymore with different voices, especially Reborn and Adult Lambo:

Neeko has such a unique voice, i find it hard to believe anybody could do such an amazing job like her as Reborn, and as for adult Lambo....well, let's just say that nobody will ever measure up to the greatness that is Kenjirou Tsuda!

As for new voices i liked, I really liked Allen Walker and Yuu Kanda's new voices, and not just because i heard them before in Touken Ranbu lol, but i think they really fit and did a good job of sounding like the old voices!

On the other hand, i think Natsuki Hanae was misscast as Lavi, it just didn't sound anything like the old voice, if they had to replace him, they should have gotten a seiyuu with a more similar voice to Suzumura Kenichi.

My Shoujo, Josei and Female targeted anime adaptations starting from 2017+ stacks:

Part 1: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9181
Part 2: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9195
Part 3: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9225
Part 4: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9280
Feb 25, 2019 10:47 PM

Oct 2010
As far as I know it's because of the VAs changing agencies and stuf like that, money also plays a big role.
Feb 25, 2019 11:11 PM

Jul 2012
I mean you listed most of the reasons, contracts, schedule conflicts, money, personal preference. There's any number of reasons a voice actor may not reprise their roles.
Conversely in cases like Shaman King the manga author didn't want a reboot because they couldn't get the original voices or soundtracks.
One example that comes to mind is Detective Conan's Mouri Kogoro. The voice actor did very few other long term works except for that character but due to contract problems he wasn't able to continue the voice like 550 episodes in and was replaced.

Personally I rarely care, it takes me like 1 episode to adjust to a shift of voices and it might as well have always been that voice. If it's a series I haven't immediately finished it's even less of an impact when voices shift. I mean in the case of One Piece and Zatch Bell I jumped entire languages and still adjusted after like a single episode.
Feb 25, 2019 11:53 PM

May 2015
Pretty much the reasons stated above. Also, the original voice actor may have passed away or may have retired from voice acting.

I personally don't mind voice acting changes as long as they can give a good performance and retain the character's personality when they speak.
Feb 26, 2019 12:28 PM

Jul 2014
It's pretty disappointing that we'll never see a Blu-ray release of the original My Neighbour Totoro dub by Fox. That's the dub that I grew up with & the Disney version is trash imo.
Feb 26, 2019 12:45 PM

Jul 2017
To add on to what others have mentioned, sometimes it's kinda like a fresh start when rebooting a series so a lot of times you kinda want to start from the ground up with new staff even VA's
Feb 26, 2019 1:38 PM
May 2018
About D.Gray-man, I don't know about sequel, and new cast, but original had Sanae Kobayashi, who, IMO, has arguably one of most beautiful sounding voices in general.
I don't know how would they replace her.

I used to dread voice actor changes, but eventually, I learned to accept it, simply as a new start for characters.

For example, there are many seiyu who voiced some characters for decades, for example, in Dragon Ball, or Saint Seiya.

Saint Seiya: Saintia Sho which is currently airing has brought back some seiyu who were in franchise since 80s, and, if you ask me, while you can notice that they sound older, there is still that skill in their acting that they can make character still feel young; legendary Hideyuki Tanaka who is currently 68, is still Leo Aiolia (20 years old), but when I hear him, I think, yeah, his voice definitely aged, but why does it still feel so right for him?

Unfortunately, because life isn't eternal, every voice actor will one day have to abandon their characters, but what we can do, though, is always remember them fondly, and have faith that their roles will be inherited by people who will give them justice just like previous seiyu did.

And as for changing cast in reboots, well, sometimes that happens because it is whole new production, and fresh start, or if authors simply want younger seiyu.

I don't think this is a bad thing, since I believe that remakes are always their own thing, and both versions should be seen.

More topics from this board

» Who is the worst protagonist of all anime? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Skylar-whoo - Aug 2

320 by Hikinekomori »»
2 minutes ago

Sticky: » The 'Help Identifying This Anime/Character' Thread (v10) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Koito91 - Dec 21, 2020

7376 by AnimeObasan »»
7 minutes ago

» Why have you learned Japanese?

Zakatsuki_ - 6 hours ago

16 by perseii »»
7 minutes ago

» Questions to fellow heterosexual men who watched Steins Gate ( 1 2 )

lostsymphonies - Aug 29

50 by Hikinekomori »»
13 minutes ago

» People who have already taken an anime break , why?

Zakatsuki_ - Today

44 by JNNKO »»
17 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.