Forum Settings
Forums

Sci-fi or Fantasy series that isn't targeted at teens, I'm 35

New
Oct 8, 2013 6:51 PM
Jun 2012
I'm looking for a new series to watch, something either Sci-fi or fantasy or preferably a bit of both. I've gone down the list of top anime on MAL and have come to the conclusion that it's incredibly unreliable. I hated a lot of the stuff that was highly ranked. I forced myself to watch Code Geass and made it through 24 episodes in hopes that it would actually get better. That's right, I dropped it with only one episode left to watch. I could really care less how it ended, I wish I would've never picked it up to begin with. I thought it was incredibly cliche and the plot was really contrived. Giant mecha, school kids, two friends that turn into mortal enemies... lol give me a break.

Anyhow here are some of my criteria for the ideal show.

Stuff I Like:
Epic storyline. I don't mean epic as in saving the universe, but something that covers a long span of time.
Serialized story with little filler.
Character progression.
Mature main characters.
Sci- fi with some fantasy elements thrown in. Miyazaki is great at this.

Berserk, Cowboy Bebop, Gunnm (the manga),Seirei no Moribito, Fullmetal Alchemist, and Future boy Conan are good examples.

Stuff I hate:
Giant mecha. Why does almost every sci fi anime have to have giant robots?
School kids and school settings.
Contrived plots: Code Geass
whiney characters: Evangelion
Over reacting main characters: Shingeki no Kyojin, Naruto
Anime cliches. like all the stuff i just mentioned
Bishounen.
Cutesy characters.
Nonsensical overly convoluted plots: Ergo Proxy
Overly drawn out series: Naruto, Bleach and most shounen.

TIA,
Stephen
Oct 8, 2013 6:55 PM
Mar 2011
Ginga ei den [ watch its in novel order and you will gain the best viewing exp of your life ]
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Oct 8, 2013 6:59 PM
Jun 2012
Man i tried to watch Ginga ei den and made it to episode 30ish. But honestly i found it a bit boring. I'm not a big fan of military space operas. Way to many characters to keep track of. If i can't find anything else i might give it another shot.
Oct 8, 2013 7:03 PM
Mar 2011
sgsrules said:
Man i tried to watch Ginga ei den and made it to episode 30ish. But honestly i found it a bit boring. I'm not a big fan of military space operas. Way to many characters to keep track of. If i can't find anything else i might give it another shot.

do not negin with the 108 episode one that drops in right in the middel of the novel watch the Gaiden wthat tells you the beging of the story [ as a lover of the novel this is what i would recomend]
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Oct 8, 2013 7:11 PM

Nov 2012
Now and Then, Here and There
Oct 8, 2013 7:16 PM

Oct 2012
I think you could give Shinsekai Yori another chance. It doesn't start out too well but the plot ends up being absolutely wonderful (despite not being overly complicated!).
Oct 8, 2013 7:35 PM

Apr 2009
Galaxy Express 999 sounds like a good anime for you. Or Yamato.
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Oct 8, 2013 7:51 PM

Jul 2013
Steins;Gate
Oct 8, 2013 8:02 PM

Dec 2012
Texhnolyze
Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu

maybe
Blue Gender
Oct 8, 2013 8:29 PM

Apr 2011
Ulysses 31
Oct 8, 2013 8:33 PM

Mar 2013
Seconding - Death Note, Steins;Gate

Samurai Champloo - not exactly scifi/fantasy but oh well
Baccano! - maybe
Oct 8, 2013 8:54 PM

Aug 2009
A.D Police Files (OVA)
Parasite Dolls
Armitage III
Sky Crlawers
Mardock Scramble
Ghost in the Shell: Arise
Cyber City Oedo 808
Record of Loddoss War
Jin-Roh and the Wolf Brigade

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Oct 8, 2013 8:55 PM
Jun 2012
Space Adventure Cobra is one of my all time favorites! *edit* it looks like he removed his post after he realized i had seen it.

I loved Steins;Gate I'm a sucker for Time travel

I put Texhnolyze on hold once it stopped making any sense.

Death Note was great until it started dragging along, almost as bad as Monster. I'll probably pick it back up at some point but it's been so long i may have to restart it.

Samurai Champloo is another of my favorites.

I'm not a big fan of space operas so i'm hesitant to try Galaxy Express 999 Or Yamato.

I'm going to give Shinsekai Yori another shot. I only made it to episode 4, i got really turned off by the whole school kids scenario and it seems like the first few episodes were just filler. Kids playing tag, kids having races etc etc.

I never finished Baccano!, i got close but some of the main characters really annoyed me and it got a bit convoluted with the amount of characters they threw in. Same deal with Durarara!!

I'm pretty sure i've seen Blue Gender.

If i can find it i might check out Ulysses 31. It's old but i don't care, some of my favorites are from the 80's.

I've also seen:
A.D Police Files (OVA)
Armitage III
Mardock Scramble
Cyber City Oedo 808
Record of Loddoss War
Jin-Roh and the Wolf Brigade

All great btw ;)

Thanks guys! Keep those suggestions coming, this is way more helpful than scrolling thorugh page after page of MAL's top anime list.
Oct 8, 2013 9:47 PM

Mar 2012
I am 30 and even though I like a wide variety of different anime, here are some you may like that I didn't see on your list.

Mermaid forest (ok so the name sounds ridiculous, right. But, this is an anime that really goes for gold as it points out human nature and the ugliness of humans as their want for immortality surfaces. Basically it's a sci/fantasy which these two are immortal due to eating the flesh of a mermaid. People that often find that they are immortal are nice at first, and then slowly you see their true intentions. I hope you enjoy this as much as I did. It is def. not geared for teens)

12 kingdoms (don't let it fool you. It looks like it actually might be geared more towards teens, but she is taken to another world in which she has to learn about politics, economy, and being a ruler. It's actually really interesting.)

Vampire hunter d bloodlust (a fantasy type anime about a vampire hunter that is geared towards adults)

Shigurui (a more historical type samurai anime geared towards adults. It's a really great anime.)

Death billiards (this is a fantastic short movie that really makes you think. I suggest you try this out.)

Canaan (this really had a ghost in the shell, armitage feel to it. I enjoyed this series. There's technological advances but they come later in the series. )

Cossette no Shouzou ( a very deep and dark look at what a past romance has done to a young womans spirit. This is very gruesome and gory and is not targeted for teens)
"People die if they get killed" who knew.
Oct 8, 2013 11:48 PM

Oct 2013
Steins:Gate
It fits most of your criteria but you will have to deal with some minor tropes. The first few episodes are a little slow and will be confusing as they are setup but if you can make it past the first few episodes your in for an amazing ride on an epic tale of time travel.

Outlaw Star is also great if you liked cowboy bebop. It trades of a little sci fi realism for a fantasy element. Great character development

Edit*Typos*
The self is because it believes it is.
Oct 8, 2013 11:55 PM

Mar 2012
Galaxy Express 999, at least as far into it as I've seen, isn't really a space opera. Granted, it's about travelling from planet to planet, but the focus is mostly on what happens on each planet; it's very episodic, relatively little time is actually spent in space, and aside from some robots and the space-train itself most of the technology seen isn't futuristic.

As for my recs,

Bubblegum Crisis and/or it's remake/alternate retelling Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040 - AD Police is a spinoff of this.

Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha - A seinen magical girl series (like Madoka, but not as "dark"), it handles the concept a bit more realistically, with most of the protagonists becoming members of a military. It's main characters start off at 9 years old, but there's a 10 year time skip between the 2nd and 3rd seasons and there are only a handful of school scenes anyway. They also generally act more mature than 9 year olds should, so it doesn't come across as childish. The series' magic often powers futuristic technology or is assisted/controlled by computers and AI, so it has that sci fi/fantasy blend. There's also not much filler, and what little there is usually serves to flesh out the characters' relationships. The storylines are mostly constrained to each each season and cover a relatively short period of time, but they're well written and all together I think it spans about 16 years counting the manga sequels.

Crest of the Stars/Banner of the Stars - Space opera, so you may not like it, but it's cast isn't huge and it avoids the usual anime space opera cliches. There's no mecha or other super weapons, and the main cast play a relatively small part in the war.
Oct 9, 2013 12:03 AM

Apr 2010
You can try:
Tenpou Ibun Ayakashi Ayashi (not popular, but have a lot of philosophy, historic details + nice characters & action)
Yomigaeru Sora: Rescue Wings (not sci-fi nor fantasy, but mature characters + nice story)
Himitsu: Top Secret - The Revelation (really bad start (first 4-5 series) but after that very nice mature mystery)
Rainbow: Nisha Rokubou no Shichinin (just very good anime)
Saraiya Goyou (not sure you like it but stylish anime with nice end)
Hotori: Tada Saiwai wo Koinegau (if you like Baton and Miyazaki films - give a try)
Ouritsu Uchuugun: Honneamise no Tsubasa (old but really cool characters and story)
Kaze no Yojimbo (not popular, slow paced but the best mystery anime i've seen)
Black Jack OVA (just interesting stories)
Casshern Sins (slow paced but really epic story, good character development and great atmosphere)
Oct 9, 2013 12:12 AM

Oct 2012
I'm going to recommend Armored Trooper: VOTOMs and Patlabor to you. Even though they're mecha series, both are a part of the real robot genre, and each franchise has plenty of stuff to watch. I'd also recommend that you pick Legend of the Galactic Heroes back up, although you'll have quite a few episodes to burn through before it starts to ramp up again.

Hell, just check out everything by Mamoru Oshii that you haven't already seen.
Oct 9, 2013 1:49 AM

Apr 2011
sgsrules said:

I'm going to give Shinsekai Yori another shot. I only made it to episode 4, i got really turned off by the whole school kids scenario and it seems like the first few episodes were just filler. Kids playing tag, kids having races etc etc.

You should definitely do that. I could tell you how it gets better but I'm afraid I might spoil it for you. Anyway, you should at least watch till episode 10 before you consider dropping it again.
Oct 9, 2013 3:26 AM

Sep 2013
Seikai no Monshou and the sequels Seikai no Senki, SciFi, the MC starts out young but the anime spans several years
Uchuu Senkan Yamato 2199 (the new version)
Macross (and the sequels)
Terra e
hm, maybe Tytania, kind of unterrated although it has it's flaws
RahXephon
you could also check out the Garden of Sinners Movies
well, if you really want a lot more mature entertainment i think you should read some manga, i know it's kind of hard to get into it (took me quite some time too, i think i started because of one of those "read the manga"-endings in an anime), but once you get the hang of it, it's pretty awesome and you have a huge variety to choose from

oh yeah, i know it might not really fit your description, but you might want to check out Clannad and Clannad After Story, the first season is high school and stuff, but the second goes way beyond that and is in my opinion a very unique experience even for mature viewers
Oct 9, 2013 4:38 AM

May 2010
Series/Movies I would recommend would be...

Crest of the Stars/Banner of the Stars
Crusher Joe (Movie)
Gasaraki-It is a mecha, but not giant robot, this series mostly focuses on political intrigue with elements grounded in current world settings and situations, it also has fantasy elements in regards to the supernatural.
Mardock Scramble
Royal Space Force: The Wings of Honneamise
Oct 9, 2013 5:30 AM

Apr 2009
xTan said:
Seconding - Death Note, Steins;Gate

Samurai Champloo - not exactly scifi/fantasy but oh well
Baccano! - maybe

Sorry, but S;G and DN are exactly the type of anime he doesn't want to see.

Maybe you'd like Space Captain Harlock.
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Oct 9, 2013 5:37 AM

Apr 2012
Armored Trooper Votoms
Oct 11, 2013 3:01 PM
Jun 2012
Thanks everyone! I recently got hit by a car while i was cycling so i've been stuck at home for the past two months recovering from my accident and from the following surgeries. So this is the prefect time to marathon some anime.

I ended taking Kalypze's advise and gave Shinsekai Yori another shot. I had dropped it after only watching the first couple of episodes. After i got past the first few godawful episodes i was hooked. I loved it and watched the whole thing in two sittings. It was exactly what i was looking for. I dismissed it at first because of all the little kids, but they actually make sense in the context of the story. They didn't just throw them in there with some half assed excuse like"Only kids can pilot giant mechs" lol. They end up growing up too. I think that's one of the things i liked so much about it, the fact that it takes over a span of 16 or so years.

Anyhow thanks again for all the recommendations. I've actually seen a lot of these but there are a few that i haven't, this will keep me busy until i can walk again.
Oct 11, 2013 3:12 PM

Sep 2007
Try Sakasama no Patema: Beginning of the Day - it's short and a prologue to a movie coming out soon.

Oct 11, 2013 3:27 PM

Aug 2013
I recommend:

-Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom (This has some time skips and the story makes sense throughout)
http://myanimelist.net/anime/5682/Phantom:_Requiem_for_the_Phantom

-Psycho-pass (Surprisingly good sci-fi show set in the future)
http://myanimelist.net/anime/13601/Psycho-Pass
Oct 11, 2013 3:49 PM

Jan 2012
Dont see Golgo 13 on your list So check that out.
Jormungand is also a pretty nice one
Crest/Banner of the stars series, has younger characters, but follows a more mature story.
Space adventure Cobra. Cheesy space western. Had a HD remaster, so its nicer to look at.
King of Bandit Jing. Kind of Similar setting to Trigun, but with a mix of Lupin.
And since i dont see that on your list, check out Lupin the third. if the series prove to be too old and bad quality for you. You can always check out the 13 OVA movies they have, which are more than enjoyable and dont require you to see the series, since the ova's introduce the characters in their own ways.
Kurau phantom memory is also a fantastic sci fi series about a runaway experiment trying to escape capture.

Knight007 said:
sgsrules said:

You should definitely do that. I could tell you how it gets better but I'm afraid I might spoil it for you. Anyway, you should at least watch till episode 10 before you consider dropping it again.

I can second this. Shinsekai yori has a bit of a slow intro and the school setting does get a bit meh, but once the series starts kicking in, its great.
CaptainMahoganyOct 11, 2013 3:54 PM
Oct 11, 2013 8:04 PM

Apr 2012
Gankutsuou--spin on Count of Monte Cristo. This anime is crazy addictive and not for kids.
Eureka 7 is amazing. The characters are very well drawn out and the story line is intense. Yes, it has mecha, but not what you think...trust me.
Blood+ is a great anime--I thought I would hate it at first (vampires) but it's also not what you think.
Durarara!! is def not for kids. It is worth every episode. Lots of very, very interesting characters. A unique anime, there's nothing like it--and no, it's not the high school drama type.
Wolf's Rain is very unique as well.
Anything with Crispin Freeman as an Eng dud will probably be amazing.
A witty movie you might like is Howl's Moving Castle. It's a classic fantasy.
Even the smallest person can change the course of the future--LotR
Oct 12, 2013 5:01 AM

Jul 2010
no sci fi but its fantasy, also although the little girl is the main character imo shes mature
kemono no souja erin

More topics from this board

» What's the cruelest manga/anime world out there?

Mahoxe - Dec 1, 2015

10 by Alexioos95 »»
27 minutes ago

» I'm looking for mature, realistic high school romance media

KietaTeenRomance - May 30

5 by jinnnnnnnnnnnnnn »»
28 minutes ago

» Looking for chillin horror anime about ghosts

Shabo-kun - Yesterday

7 by Zarutaku »»
3 hours ago

» Anime where MC’s saving girl/girls

JiroOzaki - May 28

4 by mo_lave »»
7 hours ago

» Any media like Erased ( 1 2 )

Alioli360 - May 25

54 by Alioli360 »»
Today, 1:33 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.