Forum Settings
Forums

Getting subtitles to display for .MKV files on a BLU-RAY player?

New
Jun 3, 2011 1:13 PM

Sep 2009
I recently bought my first Blu-Ray player, and the top 2 reasons for which I bought one are:

1) Watching anime via streaming Netflix (So much for that, 99% of the anime available is dubbed, with no Japanese audio/subtitle option).

2) Watching fansubs on my TV by loading anime onto my USB flash drive and plugging it into the Blu-Ray player.

Basically, I just wanted the option to watch anime on my TV rather than on the computer when I feel like it. (And no, I don't have the right monitor to hook it up to the TV)

Why I'm here is to ask if anyone knows a way to get subtitles to display on the Blu-Ray player for the .mkv files (OTHER than converting to .avi)? Almost all of my anime is .mkv softsubs. If anyone knows a way, you might have to dumb it down for me. I'm not familiar with terms like ".srt" and "mux". <_< I just download and watch, that's it.

edit: Also, if anyone knows a specific Blu-Ray player that is capable of doing such, please let me know. This is what I bought, but I'm able to return it if need be.
grimoireblossomJun 3, 2011 1:24 PM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Jun 3, 2011 1:48 PM

Sep 2009
PS3 Media Server? idk if it supports your TV/player but it's the easiest way to watch .mkv softsubs.
Jun 3, 2011 1:50 PM

Jun 2008
Why did you went and buy Blu-Ray player then? You should have bought an HTPC(who can also be a blu-ray player btw) or just hook your PC your TV so you could do whatever you like. You don't hook the monitor to the TV, you hook the PC graphic card directly.
You really didn't make much research did you?
You would have been able to download and watch anime without even needing your USB. Talking about a wrong buy. You just wasted some good money there.

Really the best thing you can do is just take it back and ether connect your PC to your TV or build an HTPC to be put under your TV and be the king of the world.

Does you player even play MKV at all? I'm surprised that it does.
Jun 3, 2011 1:55 PM

Sep 2008
You can't use softsubs on blu-ray players, the player doesn't have the software to know to apply the subs, you have to use hard subs. this goes for PS3 aswell. It has to be hard subs.
It doesn't think, it doesn't feel, it doesn't laugh or cry..... All it does from dusk till dawn is make the soldiers die.
Jun 3, 2011 2:17 PM

Sep 2009
Monad said:
Why did you went and buy Blu-Ray player then? You should have bought an HTPC(who can also be a blu-ray player btw) or just hook your PC your TV so you could do whatever you like. You don't hook the monitor to the TV, you hook the PC graphic card directly.
You would have been able to download and watch anime without even needing your USB. Talking about a wrong buy. You just wasted some good money there.

Really the best thing you can do is just take it back and ether connect your PC to your TV or build an HTPC to be put under your TV and be the king of the world.

I'm not even going to reply to this, except to say... Calm down. And read the last sentence in my post. Sheesh.

Jigero said:
You can't use softsubs on blu-ray players, the player doesn't have the software to know to apply the subs, you have to use hard subs. this goes for PS3 aswell. It has to be hard subs.

Thank you, that's all I really needed to know. I figured that was the case. I want to ask though, do you know this from experience?
Jun 3, 2011 2:38 PM

Sep 2008
Koishii said:

Jigero said:

Thank you, that's all I really needed to know. I figured that was the case. I want to ask though, do you know this from experience?

Yep, gone though all this with my PS3, use a program called RED KAWA if you need to convert your videos. Also there are sub groups who will sub anime to specifically work on the PS3, I imagine this will also work on a regular blu-ray player too.
It doesn't think, it doesn't feel, it doesn't laugh or cry..... All it does from dusk till dawn is make the soldiers die.
Jun 3, 2011 10:40 PM

Sep 2009
Jigero said:
Yep, gone though all this with my PS3, use a program called RED KAWA if you need to convert your videos. Also there are sub groups who will sub anime to specifically work on the PS3, I imagine this will also work on a regular blu-ray player too.

Thanks for your help.
Jun 3, 2011 11:05 PM

Feb 2010
Western Digital Media player can play mkv with softsubs quite well. There's occasional problems, but I've watched entire series on it just fine. You might want to look into it, it's a convenient media player.
Jun 4, 2011 11:45 AM

Sep 2009
BS Jigearo. Get PS3 Media Server and you can stream stuff from PC to it through LAN. No conversion needed.
Jun 4, 2011 12:56 PM

Sep 2008
IDex said:
BS Jigearo. Get PS3 Media Server and you can stream stuff from PC to it through LAN. No conversion needed.

that's not how it works, the media server just allows your PS3 to look into your computer files, download or stream files it's able to play. it doesn't mirror what your computer can do. if it's not the proper file type the the PS3 won't even be able to see the file through the Media Server. Also good luck streaming a blu ray quality video file through the media server. Unless you want it to chug your gonna have to download it to your PS3 through the media server or get it on there with a thumb drive and even then it will have to be the proper file type.
Jun 4, 2011 1:04 PM

Sep 2009
Jigero said:
IDex said:

that's not how it works, the media server just allows your PS3 to look into your computer files, download or stream files it's able to play. it doesn't mirror what your computer can do. if it's not the proper file type the the PS3 won't even be able to see the file through the Media Server. Also good luck streaming a blu ray quality video file through the media server. Unless you want it to chug your gonna have to download it to your PS3 through the media server or get it on there with a thumb drive and even then it will have to be the proper file type.

You do understand that it's kinda stupid to argue about this since just yesterday I watched blu-ray quality anime that was in .MKV container and had softsubs and it played perfectly with this method. This is like arguing if the grass is green.

However I'm not quite sure if PS3 Media Server actually converts the stream before sending it. So I might have gotten the technical side wrong, but it definitely works.
Jun 4, 2011 1:35 PM

Sep 2008
IDex said:
Jigero said:
IDex said:

You do understand that it's kinda stupid to argue about this since just yesterday I watched blu-ray quality anime that was in .MKV container and had softsubs and it played perfectly with this method. This is like arguing if the grass is green.

However I'm not quite sure if PS3 Media Server actually converts the stream before sending it. So I might have gotten the technical side wrong, but it definitely works.

Wait yea your right, just fiddled around with mine and got it to work, but it still chugs probably because I'm using a wireless connection, my PS3 is on the other side of the house of my modem, so getting a Ethernet cable to it is next to impossible unless I want it snaking through the middle of my house.

Also OP has a regular blu-ray player, I don't think they can even use PS3 Media server so far it's only works on PS3, Xbox 360 and Popcorn hour (whatever the fuck that is)

but movies defiantly need to be converted when they are copied to the actual PS3 it self.

So not only is this argument off topic it's also moot.
Jun 5, 2011 9:13 PM

Sep 2009
skutieos said:
Western Digital Media player can play mkv with softsubs quite well. There's occasional problems, but I've watched entire series on it just fine. You might want to look into it, it's a convenient media player.

Ohhh. That's definitely something to look into. Thanks!
Jun 6, 2011 12:21 AM

Apr 2010
Monad said:

Thanks for reminding everyone that on the internet, it's important to insult people before you help them!
Jun 6, 2011 5:17 AM

Jan 2008
IDex said:

PMS really is quite something, I was amazed when I first used it. OP, if you do have a PS3, you may want to try downloading it on your pc. I've used it to watch 1080p movies with multiple sub options, the only issue I had with chugging occurred when I attempted to FF the movie. This was all done wirelessly, btw.

Was very useful until I bought a tele with a HDMI input. Try it, if you can and let us know if you do have any issues.
Jun 6, 2011 8:48 AM

Jun 2009
Return in and get a PS3, like everyone above has said, PS3 media server is the answer. Plus you can play games on it :)

One question though...why did you buy a bluray player if you just pirate anime anyway?
Jun 6, 2011 8:54 AM

Jun 2008
zharnotczar said:
Monad said:

Thanks for reminding everyone that on the internet, it's important to insult people before you help them!

Where exactly is the insult? Would you like to specify it for me because i don't see it anywhere?

And no if she has no interest in playing PS3 games the best choice is an HTPC that will give a lot more flexibility and capabilities.
Jun 6, 2011 10:27 AM

Apr 2010
Monad said:
zharnotczar said:
Monad said:

Where exactly is the insult? Would you like to specify it for me because i don't see it anywhere?
It doesn't have to be name-calling to be an insult, you know. "You really didn't make much research did you?" is definitely an unnecessary and antagonistic thing to say. The OP already said she didn't know much about how these things work, and she's asking for help now. Your post practically screams "I am smarter than you! I must establish my dominance by belittling you!" The general tone of your posts is just that. Maybe it's not what you mean. Probably that's not what you mean. But it comes off as such. Whenever I read your posts, I expect to see a holier-than-thou attitude, so maybe it's just me reading it that way. I don't know. Who cares. I don't care enough to argue right now because I know it will have no effect. And I could be wrong. If I'm wrong, explain to me how "You really didn't make much research did you? You would have been able to download and watch anime without even needing your USB. Talking about a wrong buy. You just wasted some good money there," isn't unnecessary. When I read it, I see, "Wow, you're dumb. Should've picked the right thing in the first place. I would have." It doesn't contribute anything to the post and gives off that sort of feeling.
Jun 6, 2011 11:36 AM

Feb 2007
Koishii said:
skutieos said:

Ohhh. That's definitely something to look into. Thanks!

I've used this, it is good :> You should look into it, seeing as you can return your bluray player~

good luck
Jun 6, 2011 1:21 PM

Jun 2008
zharnotczar said:
Monad said:
zharnotczar said:
Monad said:

It doesn't have to be name-calling to be an insult, you know..

Actually no i don't know. If i want to insult someone ether i do it or i don't.
All the other mambo jumbo seem like pointless oversensitivity to me. This is the Internet, you can't hear my "tone". So if you imagine things like:"Wow, you're dumb. Should've picked the right thing in the first place. I would have.". Is your problem for having that kind of pattern of thought.
I simply express my thoughts freely and straightforward. What i say is what i say if i wanted to say "you are dumb" then i would have said it period. I spare no brain energy in trying to give any hidden meaning to my words or trying to sugarcoat them. I simply write completely straightforward.
Jun 6, 2011 2:03 PM

Sep 2009
Blah blah blah.

bk-201 said:
IDex said:

PMS really is quite something, I was amazed when I first used it. OP, if you do have a PS3, you may want to try downloading it on your pc.

I do not have a PS3. :( I wish I did, but they're still pretty pricey. I even checked the price of a refurbished one at Bestbuy.com, and it's still $230.

Also, the beginning of your first sentence is pretty lol when taken out of context. ;P

Jrittmayer said:
Return in and get a PS3, like everyone above has said, PS3 media server is the answer. Plus you can play games on it :)

One question though...why did you buy a bluray player if you just pirate anime anyway?

I've decided to keep it, because A) It's better than my DVD player, and I had been using that for years. It was only $85, so why not? And B) I don't only watch pirated anime, I do have a DVD collection as well. Not to mention I watch lots of non-anime movies and TV series. ALSO, STREAMING NETFLIX! :) I'll use it for way more than just anime, so I believe I'm going to keep it.

However as I said before, the driving force behind all of this is because I just want to be able to watch anime on my TV. I knew it played .mkv files and could be played through plugging my flash drive into the player, but I didn't think about the fact it might not play the subtitles since they are softsubs. So, I've been looking into a Western Digital Media Player and they're pretty cheap. I will probably get one of those for anime viewing. 8)
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.