Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 30, 2013 9:03 PM

Jan 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
This movie made me miss my mom.
Oct 5, 2014 12:03 PM

Jan 2014
It's always interesting to watch old anime. I like seeing the difference between anime and art styles. I found this movie in a public library, and it was pretty boring overall. It definitely had its moments, but I probably won't watch any of the other movies in this series.
Nov 3, 2014 8:28 PM
Mar 2012
I really enjoyed this movie. Lots of development between Nobuyuki and Achika. Interesting to see how Achika, Temchi's mom, is different from her Kiyone counterpart in Ryo-Ohki. I wish the fight lasted longer, but seeing Achika going Jurai mode was definitely great.
Jun 9, 2015 3:36 AM

Jan 2012
Out of all the tenchi movies, this is still my favorite.

Jun 11, 2015 11:34 AM

May 2015
AllenVonStein said:
Out of all the tenchi movies, this is still my favorite.

same here! i had on dvd and watched it again recently after so many years and still loved it. I loved Achika!
Jun 24, 2015 6:42 AM
Feb 2012
Wow, this was a pretty awesome movie. It made me tear up a few times. Great animation. 10/10
Oct 31, 2015 6:43 AM

Aug 2013
What a wonderful movie.
Apr 1, 2018 5:31 AM

May 2012
Achika>>>Kiyone (Tenchi's mom on the Ryo-Ohk OVAs)

The writers ruined Kiyone personally by making her a dumb prankster. Being a prankster would be fine, but she was just dumb.
I despise woke people.
Sep 23, 2018 8:40 PM

Jul 2017
The scenery was beautiful - all of those fall colors! I loved this movie so much. Very nice character development and a good story.
Jun 29, 2019 10:15 PM

Aug 2015
It's Back to the Future Tenchi style- Tenchi, don't bang your mom; Ryoko, don't bang Tenchi's dad

A good movie, but with some shortcomings in my view.

I wanted some more characterization of Tenchi's mother; her character parameters are basically the yamato nadeshiko with a dash of protective mother, much like Belldandy from Oh my Goddess. The problem with yamato nadsehiko imo is that the archtype doesn't really stand out to me without some endearing"flaw", like Belldandy's occasional vindictiveness. Still, Achika basically takes out the bad guy on her own, nice.

I guess we're supposed to believe she "willed' her Jurai power into Tenchi to make him stronger at the cost of her lifespan, which, is I dunno, not how inherited traits typically work.
I would have liked to have seen the characters move a little out of their established perameters; I would have liked to have seen Mihoshi, when she realizes she doesn't know any Earth fables, improvise something; but the scene just ends and cuts to Kiyone's tsukkomi reaction. Mihoshi is so useless she literally is disappeared out of the story by Washu back to the present at the climax.

Still, it certainly did tug at my heartstrings where relationships with a no longer present mother are concerned.
Mar 20, 2020 11:35 PM

Nov 2017
This is actually pretty bad. I had really cherished memories of watching this around '01 or '02. The credits song is hilarious.

The guy who runs this series has had the tendency to invent characters rather than ever build on the ones he has. So now we have to meet Tenchi's parents and stuff.

The first half of this movie is somewhat fun. Ayeka and Ryoko fighting endlessly is aggravating. But we get Washu in her lab and naked Kiyone--always my favorite part.

Tenchi is the most beige character of all time. They never advance his character at all so he's an annoying "mary sue". He has the ultimate power in the universe with the lighthawk wings and he also needs his mom to save him.

It sounds like some viewers really got into this. Which sounds nice.

Tenchi is so boring though. This guy couldn't create a character and advance their story-arc to save their life. Life begins at creation, it ends at procreation. There is no beginning, middle and end. It's about harem babes.

The movie is well animated, the sound is good, which blew me away when this was the only anime I knew besides Inuyasha. I used to go to the mall to buy DVDs and I was just a lonely kid. This was one of them.

I'm a bit miffed at how poorly this aged in the second half. That fake villain is so boring.

It's a crying shame we couldn't get the Ryo-ohki OVA to build up this universe some more and capitalize on that. Universe is a slog.

Well, on to Tenchi Muyo in Love 2. I hope it's somewhat good.
Jun 9, 2020 2:35 PM
May 2020
Yep, one of the best mom's in all of anime!
Nov 6, 2021 12:21 PM
Jul 2018
Oh wow, this movie was a lot better than I remembered (even though I loved it back then). I think now that I'm older and mellow is one adjective I'd use to describe myself, this movie was able to move me more emotionally.

My niece was watching some of it with me today and she said Achika's pretty lol.

I was kind of hoping there'd be more interaction between Tenchi and his mom, but I understand the whole time paradox thingy. Like, she died when he was a kid so I'm sure there has to be a lot of things he wants to say to her.

Kaine as an antagonist isn't bad either. I liked his animation whenever he was on-screen. The character designs here have a soft, comforting feel to 'em. I especially liked Achika's design when she unlocked her hidden Juraian power. So using all that energy to defeat Kaine shortened her lifespan greatly.

The things you do for the people you love, huh? I just hope she was happy with the rest of the days she had. Yeah, I'm sure she was. 😭

&++ Ohhhhhhh!! Kiyone!!~ *Wolf whistle* 😍

Anyway, I'm glad I re-watched this! This is an excellent piece of anime from the 90's, fer sure!
Dec 27, 2021 2:32 AM
Jan 2021
I haven't seen this movie in about 24 years since it ran on the Sci-Fi Channel in the late 90s. In all that time two things I always remembered: the climax at Tokyo Tower and the end credits with Tenchi practicing his swordsmanship skills as it was snowing while Alchemy of Love played. The version I just finished did not have the latter scene so I'm confused. The credits were in Japanese so I'm assuming it was the original cut, was the bit with him in the snow added for the overseas release or something? I vividly remember that from decades ago and was looking forward to seeing it again tonight but it was just white scrolling text on a black background for the entire credits.
PrawnGuardDec 27, 2021 2:36 AM

More topics from this board

» "Tenchi Universe" watching required to enjoy the Movies?

kiraa-sebun - Jun 4, 2016

1 by rickfurious »»
Feb 12, 2017 10:53 PM

» I liked how they gave Nobuyuki some more character

L4ns - Apr 1, 2012

0 by L4ns »»
Apr 1, 2012 3:02 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.