Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 27, 2008 8:01 PM

May 2008
Today my friends and I composed a list of the most overrated animes. I believe the final result was this:

1st Gurren Lagann
2nd Naruto
3rd Lucky Star

Do you agree? Discuss.

Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Aug 27, 2008 9:41 PM

Aug 2008
I disagree.
The most overrated anime is Full Metal Alchemist. That may just be my opinion but as far as I'm concerned it's fact.

Gurren Lagann: Yes I think it's a bit overated, but I don't think it would be anywhere near one of the "most overated", it's still a good show.

Naruto: As a narutard I have to disagree. Yes I know Naruto isn't that good, and I think most narutards would agree it's not the best show, but I still enjoy it. It's true that unfortunately a lot more people watch Naruto than many of the better shows out there, but most of them probably wouldn't give the show a 10 or anything.

Lucky Star: Yes I agree, but this is the Anti-Lucky Star club so I think everyone here is gonna agree to that one.
hogkillAug 27, 2008 10:15 PM
I thought what i'd do was your mother
Aug 28, 2008 12:48 AM
Jul 2018
I wouldn't really consider any of those three to be the most overrated since all of them are too recent. But if I were to opt to add in a contender for most overrated, I'd pick Evangelion.
removed-userAug 28, 2008 12:54 AM
Aug 28, 2008 7:04 AM

Jun 2008
I think FLCL is the most overrated. I just cannot understand what is so great about that anime and I'm shocked to see that almost everyone loves it.

Gurren Lagann: It's not a bad anime but it is still highly overrated.

Naruto: I know there are lots of people who like it but there are also thousands who hate it so when I think of overrated anime, I usually don't think of Naruto.

Lucky Star: I definitely agree with you about that one
Aug 28, 2008 11:51 AM

Jun 2007
I don't agree with Gurren Lagann being on top, but I can respect it while it's up there. It was dece, at least. Personally, I think that the most overrated anime on MAL, proportionate to it's actual quality, was Haruhi. Its being in the top ten was a mystery to me, and the popular rationales don't really justify it. I thought Haruhi was so overrated founded a club by that name. After which it dropped something like fifteen places down the list. Boo-yah! How has Lucky Star's rating has been affected since this club began? It was at #46 or so before (I checked the page the day it was founded), and now it's *drumroll* #58. We win the war!

Anyway, second would be Geass R2, which is up there largely because it's the sequel to Geass, and climbed to the #3 spot in 2 episodes. And third, is, of course, Lucky Star. Naruto and Bleach tie for fourth.
Shameless Blog Plugging: animetics.net
Aug 28, 2008 12:38 PM

Jun 2008
I'm surprised that R2 is higher than the first season. R2 is so much worse than the first season
Aug 28, 2008 1:18 PM

Jun 2008
The most overrated is probably Fullmetal Alchemist.
Then: Lucky Star, Dragon Ball, School Days, FLCL. All of them are absurdly overrated.
Since I still haven't watched Code Geass and Gurren Lagann I can't say if they are overrated or not.
About Naruto well, it's really overrated, but the problem is that it's adored by kids and narutards. it's not the worst anime ever but obviously is FAR from being awesome.

you're so cute when you're frustrated, dear
Aug 28, 2008 1:22 PM

Aug 2008
Torisunanohokori said:
Personally, I think that the most overrated anime on MAL, proportionate to it's actual quality, was Haruhi. Its being in the top ten was a mystery to me, and the popular rationales don't really justify it. I thought Haruhi was so overrated founded a club by that name. After which it dropped something like fifteen places down the list. Boo-yah!

Haruhi is one of my favorites. I can't even begin to fathom why some people don't like it, but I don't know if there really is a way to justify why it's so good. I suggest you watch it again with an open mind.

PS. Yuki in episode 10. That's gotta be one of the best scenes ever.
hogkillAug 28, 2008 4:08 PM
Aug 28, 2008 3:04 PM

May 2008
In retrospect, maybe TTGL wasn't the best choice for first, but it is still vastly overrated in regard to the fact that, at present, the series is the highest rated series on MAL, with a 9.01 average rating. This is something I believe it does not deserve, as while good nonetheless, the show is simply not the greatest piece of animation in all of anime existence. It is a 7 at best.

hirahira said:
Naruto: I know there are lots of people who like it but there are also thousands who hate it so when I think of overrated anime, I usually don't think of Naruto.

Well, it would surprise you how many people like Naruto, especially the younger demographics. But it is overrated in the sense that enough people think of it as amazingly good when in reality, compared to other animes its actually quite shitty.

I see Fullmetal Alchemist and FLCL being brought up by a few of you. Frankly, I loved them both and found them to be quite good. If you don't like them, that's okay: they are not for everyone. But overrated? Probably not.

Makaiohi said:
I wouldn't really consider any of those three to be the most overrated since all of them are too recent. But if I were to opt to add in a contender for most overrated, I'd pick Evangelion.

Your opinion is the only one I have a problem with. Evangelion is intelligent, thought provoking, original, and has characters with depth. Sure the series didn't end properly (the last two episodes were not bad, the ending just didn't answer any questions and resolved nothing), but End of Evangelion took care of that and kept all the charm of the series. On top of that, Evangelion defines modern anime. Most present action/drama animes have been infulenced by EVA, so much that one could call this the post-Evangelion era. The series is also one of the few I actually bought the box set of. It's shiny. :]

Anyways, on the subject of Code Geass R2, I admit the first season was better, though these last few episodes are getting really good.

Aug 28, 2008 3:35 PM

Jun 2008
Paki said:
In retrospect, maybe TTGL wasn't the best choice for first, but it is still vastly overrated in regard to the fact that, at present, the series is the highest rated series on MAL, with a 9.01 average rating. This is something I believe it does not deserve, as while good nonetheless, the show is simply not the greatest piece of animation in all of anime existence. It is a 7 at best.

I agree. I would give it a 6.5/10

I thought FMA was an okay anime but it is definitely overrated. Haruhi is too.

I haven't seen much of Evangelion so I won't say anything about it. I do know that the main male character is really annoying though
Aug 28, 2008 3:44 PM

May 2008
hirahira said:
I haven't seen much of Evangelion so I won't say anything about it. I do know that the main male character is really annoying though

I think the common way to describe him is "emo," but you try piloting a giant living robo-mech against aliens that are trying to kill you, while barely knowing what you are doing and why you are doing it, on top of which having a father that is an arrogant bastard and treats you like crap, and see if you don't have psychological problems.

:/

Aug 28, 2008 5:00 PM

Jun 2007
hogkill said:
Haruhi is one of my favorites. I can't even begin to fathom why some people don't like it, but I don't know if there really is a way to justify why it's so good. I suggest you watch it again with an open mind.

I watched it the first time without even having heard of it, before I joined MAL and before I really had any distinct grasp on mainstream opinions of anime. My original dislike of Haruhi had nothing to do with its undeserved hype. It was just an issue with the show's quality - the comedic timing was off by a mile, the humor was nothing more than a series of weak references (which were frankly awkward to watch), the characters were both unrealistic and pancake-flat, especially Haruhi. I find little to like in a show with such characteristics. If you have no way of justifying why it's so good then arguably it isn't so good.

hogkill said:

Fighting with the student council president? Not really. It was a fight scene between two superpowered covert ops backstabbing one another, one of them silent moe and the other genki moe. Concepts like that are pretty common, and the scene itself was not very well-done.
Aug 28, 2008 10:10 PM

Aug 2008
Torisunanohokori said:
hogkill said:

I watched it the first time without even having heard of it, before I joined MAL and before I really had any distinct grasp on mainstream opinions of anime. My original dislike of Haruhi had nothing to do with its undeserved hype. It was just an issue with the show's quality - the comedic timing was off by a mile, the humor was nothing more than a series of weak references (which were frankly awkward to watch), the characters were both unrealistic and pancake-flat, especially Haruhi. I find little to like in a show with such characteristics. If you have no way of justifying why it's so good then arguably it isn't so good.

hogkill said:

Fighting with the student council president? Not really. It was a fight scene between two superpowered covert ops backstabbing one another, one of them silent moe and the other genki moe. Concepts like that are pretty common, and the scene itself was not very well-done.

Well excuse me Jiminy Glick but I also watched it several years ago and didn't get one single reference to any other anime in the show because I'd hardly seen jack shit then. All the humor I got came from the characters themselves, not from show references. Furthermore Haruhi wasn't some shitty ass comedy that referenced other shows, don't even compare it to Lucky Star. Haruhi isn't even a comedy.

The show is intended to be taken at face value. A show about a girl trying to find some meaning in her life, not even aware of just how important she is. All the other bells and whistles included in the show are just icing on the cake.

She is not a "Pancake-flat character". Most anime characters these days are "pancake-flat", Haruhi is a pioneer character to the anime industry. If she's a pancake-flat then please name me one other God character in anime, who's as ignorant as Haruhi; and of course the characters are "unrealistic", there's a pyschic, a time-traveler and a 3 year old biological alien/cyborg. Did you perhaps know some people in reality who fell under these categories? Maybe you should see a shrink if you know what a realistic cyborg/alien acts like when monitoring a god who's in highschool.

Also the scene was indeed awesome, and well done. I don't know how you would have preferred the scene, but I'm guessing you would have gotten Richard C. Mongler to direct it.
hogkillAug 28, 2008 11:14 PM
Aug 29, 2008 12:16 AM
Jul 2018
Paki said:

For the record, I don't find numbers to be particularly useful as opinions or arguments in regards to entertainment.

Paki said:
Your opinion is the only one I have a problem with. Evangelion is intelligent, thought provoking, original, and has characters with depth. Sure the series didn't end properly (the last two episodes were not bad, the ending just didn't answer any questions and resolved nothing), but End of Evangelion took care of that and kept all the charm of the series.

How can such an intelligent piece of work could just fall flat with an ending such as that? What was the purpose of the Human Instrumentality Project? Was Shinji aware of the consequences of his participation? Personally, it left me very unsatisfied and frustrated. I haven't seen End of Evangelion as of yet, but having that as the ending is more like applying a "software patch" to The Last Supper.

I'd also like to add Black Lagoon to the list for its lack of originality.

hogkill said:
...and of course the characters are "unrealistic", there's a pyschic, a time-traveler and a 3 year old biological alien/cyborg.

The characters are parodies of the typical anime archetypes, and there are scenes when those characters rise above those archetypes in place of being wastes of space.
removed-userAug 29, 2008 12:20 AM
Aug 29, 2008 12:56 AM

Aug 2008
durr durr durr... Torisunanohokori rates Dragonball Z shows at 7 & 8 but gives Haruhi a 4.

durr durr durr... Makaiohi gives Black Lagoon a 5 based on it's "lack of originality" even though he knows he likes it.

I think I'll make a club about whether or not debating shit over the internet ever makes an impact on the opposition. I'll call it the "Cruel Irony Club".
hogkillAug 29, 2008 1:01 AM
Aug 29, 2008 2:00 AM
Jul 2018
hogkill said:
durr durr durr... Makaiohi gives Black Lagoon a 5 based on it's "lack of originality" even though he knows he likes it.

Yeah, especially when it manages to make action scenes incredibly boring. ;)

Protip: Quit using numbers as one's sole opinion of a particular show. You'd be surprised at how an actual firsthand opinion matters more than just whatever numerical value comes out of a review or anime list.

hogkill said:
I think I'll make a club about whether or not debating shit over the internet is actually productive. I'll call it the "Serious Business Club".

Fixed.
Aug 29, 2008 2:13 AM

Aug 2008
Makaiohi said:
hogkill said:

Yeah, especially when it manages to make action scenes incredibly boring. ;)

Protip: Quit using numbers as one's sole opinion of a particular show. You'd be surprised at how an actual firsthand opinion matters more than just whatever numerical value comes out of a review or anime list.

hogkill said:
I think I'll make a club about whether or not debating shit over the internet is actually productive. I'll call it the "Serious Business Club".

Fixed.

No I called it The Cruel Irony club.
http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=6131

I've obviously gotta work on it some more, but I think I'm well aware of how difficult it is to represent a firsthand opinion with a number. What I was saying is that both your firsthand opinion and number sucked. Black Lagoon is awesome.

Protip: don't throw your 4chan nonsense at me
hogkillAug 29, 2008 2:22 AM
Aug 29, 2008 2:50 AM
Jul 2018
hogkill said:
I've obviously gotta work on it some more, but I think I'm well aware of how difficult it is to represent a firsthand opinion with a number. What I was saying is that both your firsthand opinion and number sucked. Black Lagoon is awesome.

So does yours.

Also, you dismissed my attempt at sarcasm as "4chan nonsense," because that is exactly what you are doing. You're taking our firsthand opinions and numbers seriously for the fact that they don't match yours. Then you come here and waste our time (including yours) making useless insults just to say your e-penis is bigger than ours.

Take your dick waving somewhere else.
Aug 29, 2008 3:49 AM

Jun 2007
hogkill said:
durr durr durr... Torisunanohokori rates Dragonball Z shows at 7 & 8 but gives Haruhi a 4.

I think I'll make a club about whether or not debating shit over the internet ever makes an impact on the opposition. I'll call it the "Cruel Irony Club".

BTW: http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=927
This predates you by something like a year.

(Unwritten rule of MAL ettiquite: Never use people's ratings to diss them)
Somebody already tried to do this, and while I'm a little less defensive about my DBZ ratings than I am about my Ah! Megami-sama ratings, it's still an irrelevant matter to my Haruhi ratings. In the first place, you're comparing apples to oranges. Second of all, I rated Dragonball an 8 because it is a classic kung-fu anime, and not as drawn out as DBZ was. DBZ I rated as a 7 because, while the whole thing took a long time, I wasn't really ever "jolted" out of my viewing in the way I would had to have been to give it a 6 (which I gave to GT, F.Y.I.). Going after something unrelated doesn't help your Haruhi argument much, it just makes me spend time explaining that as well.

hogkill said:
Well excuse me Jiminy Glick but I also watched it several years ago and didn't get one single reference to any other anime in the show because I'd hardly seen jack shit then. All the humor I got came from the characters themselves, not from show references. Furthermore Haruhi wasn't some shitty ass comedy that referenced other shows, don't even compare it to Lucky Star. Haruhi isn't even a comedy.

A show can be ruined by bad jokes without being a comedy. And the jokes in Harhi were sad to watch - like someone trying to use a joke from VGcats in a normal school day.

hogkill said:
The show is intended to be taken at face value. A show about a girl trying to find some meaning in her life, not even aware of just how important she is. All the other bells and whistles included in the show are just icing on the cake.

More like castor oil on the rock. If it is a story about a girl looking for herself, that's been done before. If it's a story about unintentional god powers, that's been done by fanfic authors for years, I've observed before that Haruhi is written rather like a poor fanfic.

hogkill said:
She is not a "Pancake-flat character". Most anime characters these days are "pancake-flat", Haruhi is a pioneer character to the anime industry. If she's a pancake-flat then please name me one other God character in anime, who's as ignorant as Haruhi; and of course the characters are "unrealistic", there's a pyschic, a time-traveler and a 3 year old biological alien/cyborg. Did you perhaps know some people in reality who fell under these categories? Maybe you should see a shrink if you know what a realistic cyborg/alien acts like when monitoring a god who's in highschool.

Yes, actually she is. She's a god character who frivolously uses her powers, which in and of itself makes her an inartful plot device, but Haruhi's real lack of depth comes from the fact that the emotions which she experiences are somewhat childish, and always predictable. She never really changes or shows evolution of character beyond that of a preteen girl with a social adaptivity disorder. She herself doesn't much go through character development - most of her "development" is really just screen-time as the main character.

There's a big difference between "fictional and "unrealistic". My issue with the characters is not the fundamental concepts their actions are based on, but on the flat stereotypes to which they conform.

hogkill said:
Also the scene was indeed awesome, and well done. I don't know how you would have preferred the scene, but I'm guessing you would have gotten Richard C. Mongler to direct it.

I guess you're more highbrow than me then, because I don't even know who that is. Is "awesome" the only defense you have for it? That scene was not special, it was stereotypical, and I cold get the same almost anywhere.
Aug 29, 2008 6:44 AM

May 2008
Makaiohi said:

How can such an intelligent piece of work could just fall flat with an ending such as that? What was the purpose of the Human Instrumentality Project? Was Shinji aware of the consequences of his participation? Personally, it left me very unsatisfied and frustrated. I haven't seen End of Evangelion as of yet, but having that as the ending is more like applying a "software patch" to The Last Supper.

End of Evangelion is great and a more fitting end to the series in every way. Questions are answered and the visuals are stunning. I didn't leave me unsatisfied or frustrated.
PakiAug 29, 2008 3:16 PM

Aug 29, 2008 10:34 AM
Jul 2018
Paki said:

End of Evangelion is great and a more fitting end to the series in every way. Questions are answered and the visuals are stunning. I didn't leave me unsatisfied or frustrated.

Okay, fair enough.

Also, let's just ignore whatever hogkill says next.
removed-userAug 29, 2008 10:47 AM
Aug 29, 2008 12:02 PM

Jun 2007
Makaiohi said:
Also, let's just ignore whatever hogkill says next.

Seconded.

Unless, of course, he learns how to argue without personal insults.
Aug 29, 2008 3:15 PM

May 2008
Torisunanohokori said:

But I am allowed to use people's favorites to diss them, right? Especially if Lucky Shit is one of them...

Torisunanohokori said:

And the jokes in Harhi were sad to watch - like someone trying to use a joke from VGcats in a normal school day.

I'd totally use a VGcats joke at school, cause I'm just random like that. Maybe not in class, but still. I think I'm going to give Haruhi a try, I owe it to myself to do at least that.
PakiAug 30, 2008 7:42 AM

Aug 29, 2008 6:27 PM

Aug 2008
Makaiohi said:
Take your dick waving somewhere else.

I hardly see how defending a show as awesome as Black Lagoon is dick waving. I also think my position is relevant to this thread. For example you could probably walk down a city street and shout Full Metal Alchemist and someone would know what you are talking about. This wouldn't happen if you did the same with Black Lagoon. Furthermore I think most people within the anime community would agree that Black Lagoon is a very good show. Hence Black Lagoon doesn't qualify for the most overrated anime (see thread subject) comprendé?

Torisunanohokori said:
Somebody already tried to do this, and while I'm a little less defensive about my DBZ ratings than I am about my Ah! Megami-sama ratings, it's still an irrelevant matter to my Haruhi ratings. In the first place, you're comparing apples to oranges. Second of all, I rated Dragonball an 8 because it is a classic kung-fu anime, and not as drawn out as DBZ was. DBZ I rated as a 7 because, while the whole thing took a long time, I wasn't really ever "jolted" out of my viewing in the way I would had to have been to give it a 6 (which I gave to GT, F.Y.I.). Going after something unrelated doesn't help your Haruhi argument much, it just makes me spend time explaining that as well.
I wasn't trying to diss you but if I made you cry I'm sorry. What I was trying to do was defend Haruhi from your bashing.
I don't care if you liked DragonballZ better than Haruhi. What I'm saying is that most people on this site would tell you that DragonballZ is a joke of a show, and Haruhi is one of the best (I'm not saying the majority is automatically right, just saying this is what the majority think). You'll see as to why this is important at the end.

Torisunanohokori said:
I think that the most overrated anime on MAL, proportionate to it's actual quality, was Haruhi. Its being in the top ten was a mystery to me, and the popular rationales don't really justify it. I thought Haruhi was so overrated founded a club by that name. After which it dropped something like fifteen places down the list. Boo-yah! How has Lucky Star's rating has been affected since this club began? It was at #46 or so before (I checked the page the day it was founded), and now it's *drumroll* #58. We win the war!
I'm guessing if Haruhi had placed around #50 you wouldn't have made a club whose purpose was to drag Haruhi's rating down. This is where the problem I have with you is stemming from. You don't care whether Haruhi is a good show or not, your main reason for going after it was because it's popular. Hating something because it's popular is even more pathetic than liking something because it's popular. If you just didn't like Haruhi that's fine but that's not where your coming from.

And the last piece of evidence is your signature.
"Whenever you find yourself in the majority, it is time to pause and reflect."

In other words you don't care what shows are good or bad, you're just going against the majority for the sake of it. Had Haruhi been given shit ratings you would have made a club called the "I love Haruhi Club", and if DragonballZ was in the top 10 you would have started the "I hate DragonballZ Club".

An argument coming from someone who doesn't have his own opinion is worthless.
hogkillAug 30, 2008 6:27 AM
Aug 30, 2008 9:43 AM

Jun 2007
Paki said:
Torisunanohokori said:

But I am allowed to use people's favorites to diss them, right? Especially if Lucky Shit is one of them...

Its not that bad ordinarily, just don't bring Lucky Star into a debate about, say, Desert Punk. It's just that I've seen what happens when all a person's deeply held opinions are dragged into a single debate - it turns from a discussion into a character-assassinating cockfight.

hogkill said:
I wasn't trying to diss you but if I made you cry I'm sorry. What I was trying to do was defend Haruhi from your bashing.
I don't care if you liked DragonballZ better than Haruhi. What I'm saying is that most people on this site would tell you that DragonballZ is a joke of a show, and Haruhi is one of the best (I'm not saying the majority is automatically right, just saying this is what the majority think). You'll see as to why this is important at the end.

You don't protect a show when you bash its bashers, you just make its bashers angrier and more indignant, and you show a lack of willingness to keep the discussion to the show's merits. I haven't attacked your personal ratings yet, and I don't intend to.

hogkill said:
I'm guessing if Haruhi had placed around #50 you wouldn't have made a club whose purpose was to drag Haruhi's rating down. This is where the problem I have with you is stemming from. You don't care whether Haruhi is a good show or not, your main reason for going after it was because it's popular. Hating something because it's popular is even more pathetic than liking something because it's popular. If you just didn't like Haruhi that's fine but that's not where your coming from.

And the last piece of evidence is your signature.
"Whenever you find yourself in the majority, it is time to pause and reflect."

In other words you don't care what shows are good or bad, you're just going against the majority for the sake of it. Had Haruhi been given shit ratings you would have made a club called the "I love Haruhi Club", and if DragonballZ was in the top 10 you would have started the "I hate DragonballZ Club".

An argument coming from someone who doesn't have his own opinion is worthless.

Well, look at someone who didn't read what I said. I said I thought Haruhi was bad before I was involved in MAL by like a year, that I don't hate it because it's popular, but because it's bad. I would have made the "Haruhi is Overrated Club" if it was anywhere in the top 100, cheifly because it doesn't deserve to be. And I'm not alone by any means. The club has 3-digit membership from a lot of people who agree with me that it is at least overrated, but we differ in just how much. The club's other admin gave the show an 8. The suggestion that I'm doing this for its own sake is unfounded at best and very insulting. I care very much which shows are good and which are bad. I've voted both with and against popular shows at times. My top 2 favorite manga are ranked #3 and #12, and my top 2 favorite anime are #9 and #43. Is that going against popularity for its own sake? True, you can be a slave against the masses as much as you can be a slave to them, but that's not who I am or what I'm doing. People in the "I hate Naruto Club" don't hate Naruto simply because its popular, and the same goes for we on the opposite side of the popular opinion on Haruhi.

Are you hating Lucky Star just because it's popular? Didn't think so.
TorisunanohokoriAug 31, 2008 10:04 AM
Sep 1, 2008 9:01 AM

Sep 2007
Stop fighting, ev'ryone. Zis thread is about opinions, nothing more. If someone doesn't like your favorite show, good for them. Move on. ;)
Sep 1, 2008 9:07 AM

May 2008
Foggle said:
Stop fighting, ev'ryone. Zis thread is about opinions, nothing more. If someone doesn't like your favorite show, good for them. Move on. ;)

Finally, someone with some sense in their head...

Sep 12, 2008 11:50 AM

Oct 2007
Well most overrated are lolicon animes.

But the most overrated, hm ... on this site Aria the Origination and on other sites it's usualy Paranoia Agent or Kannon or Air (FART) or Ouran High School Gay Host Club ...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 12, 2008 12:58 PM

Sep 2008
I think Gurren Lagann is REALLY overrated. it was just dumb. Lucky Star is probably worse though
Sep 12, 2008 3:56 PM

May 2008
MelodyoftheStars said:
I think Gurren Lagann is REALLY overrated. it was just dumb. Lucky Star is probably worse though

You can be my new friend! :D

Peralisc said:
Well most overrated are lolicon animes.

But the most overrated, hm ... on this site Aria the Origination and on other sites it's usualy Paranoia Agent or Kannon or Air (FART) or Ouran High School Gay Host Club ...

I started reading Host Club. it's not bad, but there is a lot of fangirl-service...

Sep 12, 2008 9:43 PM

Sep 2008
Yay for Gurren Lagann haters~
Sep 19, 2008 12:40 PM

Dec 2007
- I think Gurren Lagaan is watchable but overrated.
- Naruto is definitely overrated, even though I like it.
- DBZ is overrated because the whole thing was dragged out too long, but it's still one of my favourite series.
- Lucky Star no question.

That's all I can think of right now.
Sep 20, 2008 11:37 AM

Feb 2008
First of all... Naruto

1) No real original character or background stories are ton like the other ones...

2) They are suposed to be ninjas but they do not "act" like ninjas its just normal "fast"? fight with character wearing florecent colors (good to hide as a ninja)
they do not go in secret assasination, escolt, guard, etc... they did so in the very first arc "Zabuza" one... and i loved that... they used their weapons a lot and even if they where using technikes a little far of a ninjas one... it was good all the arc...
But then it goes off the story against anything else they are no longer ninjas act like them etc

3) i can go on but still is pretty plain and commoner anime but narutards get overexiceted...

and yes i watched all naruto until i got bored of fillers arround 140...
then started shippuden
the fight agaiinst sasori was good again... trying to make a plan everything was poisonous and sharp they have to make a fast plan to trick or catch the enemy
but then bored again again and i stoped after a wihile... come one 3 chapters staring with his void like thing eye until he cut akatsuki faggot arm

--------------------------------
Old ones:

Dragon Ball and Saint seiya:

First all the attack are the same... there are a few different attack but most of them is just a ray ball or dunno what shape of energy...
Second the story and plot is almost the same... we have to save athena/earth
Characters are plain and simple in saint seiya they all look the same exept for the hair and in dragon ball they actitudes are simple...
and the villans want to destroy the earth kill athena with out a real explanation
Sep 20, 2008 1:27 PM

Mar 2008
In no particular order: Naruto, One Piece, Gurren Lagann, Lucky Star(of course), Neon Genesis Evangelion, Code Geass R2, Dragonball (Z), Love Hina, and Fate/Stay Night. I guess if I had to pick three from there I'd choose Naruto, Neon Genesis Evangelion, and a tie between Lucky Star and One Piece. (Shit, that's four.)
Sep 20, 2008 2:10 PM

Aug 2008
Naruto and One Piece are SHITTY and overrated.
Naruto fan boys are lammmmme!

JOIN http://www.playstationcastle.com FOR GAMING FORUMZ!

Sep 20, 2008 2:21 PM

Feb 2008
One Piece are SHITTY and overrated.

and a tie between Lucky Star and One Piece. (Shit, that's four.)

I must object

I who watched one piece from a loongg ago... and readed all the manga... like shonens... can assure you that one piece is one of the greatest shonens
why?
1) original powers and charactes... its full of originality and twist that you would not imagine
2) plot... yes the plot is not that simple even if it does look like that
3) there is a good character development and past... everyone has its own past its unique to each others and the personality of each one is defined but still they progress
4) eveything has a reason... its not allways fun or random stuff that happens... something that may look like a joke to a character after a while turns helping everyone...

I know the anime is worse than the manga by far you probably watched only a little of it so you dont really know how good it is
Or maybe you dont like the drawings cause they are different and maybe plain (in the anime mostly)

--------------------------------------

Now saying the overrated list for me:

Lucky star(from the 24 if you compile all the good stuff you get 5 mins)

Naruto (only 20 chapters where really good then worse and worse until compleat shit)

Gurren laggan (its good but not so much to be first)

Dragon ball (good anime its plain and simple its a 5 or a 6 but as i loved as a child i give it a 7)

Saint seiya (same as dragon ball)

Azumanga (yes i give it a 10) but i know thats overrated but i cant help it its from ton of years ago and yes its good and funny and i loved it as one of my first anime comedy the REAL score would be a 8 for me

One piece (ANIME) the anime is overrated but not the manga... yes i know i defended one piece just above but i defended it against the shitty statement... the anime is really good i loved it but sometimes the animation sucks or there are problems or mistakes and little fillers so i would give it a 8 or even a 9 (as in my profile) but the real an impartial would be a 8
but the manga has no single mistake and everything is done to the perfection thats why i keep giving it a 10

Death note... yes its REAAALLYY good but still not for the OMG AWESSSOMMEE I WANT LLLL 101010101001010 scooreee
its a 8 if it had ended with L dead that would be really better a 9 or even a 10 but Mello and Near sucked hard and the ending about mikami messing it up sucked

Evangelion an 8 but everyone gives a 10

KabiSep 20, 2008 3:15 PM
Sep 20, 2008 3:50 PM

Aug 2008
One Piece may be well made but I jst can't stand those kinds of anime. I hate animes that become mainstream in North America.

Sep 20, 2008 4:27 PM

Feb 2008
nyuu911 said:
One Piece may be well made but I jst can't stand those kinds of anime. I hate animes that become mainstream in North America.

well that just simple racism to the anime that gets famous...
i mean the anime has many mistakes and the story itself get good after some chapters with all don krieg mihawk and arlong fights...

still being famous and getting to america is not bad neither good
well unless its 4kids time to enter
Sep 21, 2008 2:43 AM

Jul 2008
on piece, death note and of course lucky star.
actually i dont think its right that its "overrated" cause its a matter of taste and everyone can love what they want.. but i personally dont like these anime, and most of people do like them.
Sep 21, 2008 7:29 AM

Dec 2007
Another one I just remembered which I think is overrated is Spirited Away. I liked the film, but everyone I've spoken to about it seems to think it's the best anime movie out there, when, IMO, there are better ones out there such as Akira or Princess Mononoke
Sep 21, 2008 7:45 AM

May 2008
ShadowSlasherZ said:
Another one I just remembered which I think is overrated is Spirited Away. I liked the film, but everyone I've spoken to about it seems to think it's the best anime movie out there, when, IMO, there are better ones out there such as Akira or Princess Mononoke

I haven't seen Akira, but Princess Mononoke is spectacular. I've seen it again and again, and it never disappoints.

But I do think Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind does not live up to the hype. I can forgive Miyazaki, because his films got better over time and the themes in the movie carried over into Princess Mononoke, but Nausicaa disappointed me when I watched it, so much that I didn't even finish it even though I was close to the ending. Nausicaa herself had no character flaws (something I love about Miyazaki characters), making her the biggest Mary Sue I've ever seen. :/

Sep 21, 2008 8:05 AM

Aug 2008
Kabi said:
nyuu911 said:

i mean the anime has many mistakes and the story itself get good after some chapters with all don krieg mihawk and arlong fights...

Well look at all the ones that get famous though.
Bleach, Deathnote, Naruto, etc. They arent even good!
Once a good anime becomes "YTV" material then I'll change my views on mainstream anime.

Sep 21, 2008 8:53 AM

Feb 2008
nyuu911 said:
Kabi said:
nyuu911 said:

Well look at all the ones that get famous though.
Bleach, Deathnote, Naruto, etc. They arent even good!
Once a good anime becomes "YTV" material then I'll change my views on mainstream anime.

thats a mistake an anime can become famous enough to be taken to other countrys lets see

higurashi is going to air in some other places
death note is not a bad anime... its a "7" for me but is overrated people gives it a 9 10
bleach is a "5" anime not bad but no good too
yeah naruto sucks
and no for example one piece NOT DUBBED AND NOT THX 4KIDS its better its at least an 7 i give it a 8 if i look complety over it... the manga is awesome but still... the anime has mistakes that gives it lower ranking

and also dont know how much you have seen of each anime but you cant judge an anime for the first chapters... i watched 17 chapters of lucky star until i offiacialy say it was complety shit
i tryied to keep watching naruto in the begging was good but in the end sucked
and yes one piece first chapters in anime suck... it really get goods until arround chapter 20... and then its start to go up and up... 20 to 45 is great but until that its not really good
Sep 21, 2008 12:33 PM

Jun 2008
Nyuu and Kabi, stop fighting.

you're so cute when you're frustrated, dear
Sep 21, 2008 12:48 PM

Jun 2008
Yeah, we don't need fights in here =(

everyone has different likes and dislikes. You don't have to hate each other for it
Sep 21, 2008 1:23 PM

Feb 2008
im not fighting with anyone x.X

but still i say you have to watch atleast 20% of an anime before saying if it is good or bad
also if it becomes famous or not it doesnt make it worse or better
the ideal way to judge an anime is to awtch it a lot...

there are diference between saying I DONT LIKE IT and saying IT SUCKS
for saying it sucks you have to know the anime you are talking about enough to say that it sucks... you cannot judge it using a few chapters...
and saying you dont like it.. ok you may not like fight romance w/e

but its not the same saying "they are bad" as saying "i dont like it"
Sep 21, 2008 8:25 PM
May 2008
overrated as in very popular but phailed to keep me awake and enjoy the damn thing

1. Haruhi Suzumiya - first episode did nothing. the super famous dance, did not excites me. Aya Hirano superb debut as seiyuu, not interesting. plot is bland. phail.

2. Shakugan no Shana - i tried, honestly. two times i give it a try and even to finish a single episode is a pain in the ass. i fell asleep, TWICE waiting for anything interesting to show up but none. phail.

3. Lucky Star - self explanatory.
Sep 22, 2008 5:25 PM

May 2008
Remember this is my opinion. You don't have to take it offensively or anything.

1. NARUTO
2. Bleach ( I didn't know you could pull off over 100 fillers and still run a show)
3. LUCKY STAR
4. Strike Witches (believe me. it's overrated)
5. One Piece
6. Code Geass (R1, R2)
7. Ouran High School Host Club

Sep 22, 2008 5:29 PM

Jun 2008
I always thought Strike Witches was really hated?
Sep 22, 2008 6:28 PM

May 2008
fastball611 said:
Remember this is my opinion. You don't have to take it offensively or anything.

1. NARUTO
2. Bleach ( I didn't know you could pull off over 100 fillers and still run a show)
3. LUCKY STAR
4. Strike Witches (believe me. it's overrated)
5. One Piece
6. Code Geass (R1, R2)
7. Ouran High School Host Club

I've never even heard of Strike Witches. O_O

Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» anyone here who likes the show but think its overrated

boa555 - Feb 19, 2017

0 by boa555 »»
Feb 19, 2017 10:07 PM

» Stupidest thing a LS fan has said about LS ( 1 2 3 )

hirahira - Jul 29, 2008

125 by LoveLikeBlood »»
Jan 18, 2015 7:26 AM

» What do you hate most about Lucky Star? ( 1 2 3 )

hirahira - Jul 18, 2008

107 by InvisibleMelody »»
Jun 13, 2013 11:41 AM

Poll: » Which Lucky Star character do you hate most?

hirahira - Jul 28, 2008

43 by DeletedAccount_ »»
May 17, 2013 4:34 AM

» Anti-Lucky Shit pics.

RenaPsychoKiller - Nov 22, 2008

9 by DeletedAccount_ »»
May 15, 2013 11:56 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.