Forum Settings
Forums
New
8 hours ago

Jul 2021
I made basically the same topic for spring, because that was a very uninteresting season besides some sequels, and summer turned out to be quite similar. Sequel, singular for spring really. Although is it better to have 1 amazing sequel, or 3 only above average ones?
Discussing what might be shows that people overlook was a very good idea, because as it turns out there actually was 1 good show after all, the Fable, and it's 25 episodes too!
I have a feeling nothing will even come close to that, but here is hoping you can prove me wrong:

What are the hidden gems of summer season? New shows that people generally overlook, things that don't look interesting at first glance, but actually have a talent behind them, if you give them a chance.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
8 hours ago

Sep 2018
The new kinnikuman
Megami Cafe s2
Fairy Tail 100 yr quest
3 hours ago

Feb 2020
Dungeon no Naka no Hito
Na Nare Hana Nare
Ramen Akaneko
Tensui no Sakuna-hime

Serafos2 hours ago
3 hours ago

Jul 2021
Ramen Akaneko (Popularity #6132)
Ramen and cats. I expected a time-wasting cute cats anime, but it turned out to be a warm workplace slice-of-life with endearing characters. It does look janky with a lot of 3D CG use, but after a while it just became a style.

Tensui no Sakuna-hime (Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin) (Popularity #5450)
Adaptation of a video game about rice-farming doesn't inspire confidence, but it turned out to be a solid 13-episode adventure with a lot of heart and a pretty interesting ancient-Japan fantasy world. Characters are pretty dumb and bratty in the beginning, but the premise, the decent art and music thankfully kept me around.

Karasu wa Aruji wo Erabanai (Yatagarasu: The Raven Does Not Choose Its Master) (Popularity #3793)
I will not stop singing praises for this one, even if the arc over the Spring was far better than the Summer's.

The poster makes it look like a sparkly palace drama/romance (maybe even Boys Love), but it's a sharply-written, sprawling historical fantasy with cutthroat power struggle and intrigue. The story is just riveting with many twists, intelligent characters and a pretty interesting world.
3 hours ago

Jan 2009
nier automata its too unpopular here on myanimelist
2 hours ago

Mar 2021
JaniSIr said:
What are the hidden gems of summer season? New shows that people generally overlook, things that don't look interesting at first glance, but actually have a talent behind them, if you give them a chance.

"Rising Impact" comes to mind. I literally would have completely over looked this Anime if I hadn't been randomly looking for something to watch on Netflix. At the time, I didn't even ever remember seeing this title in the MAL databased till I realized it was an ONA. Which I don't often look over the ONA sections in the MAL database specifically because it's mostly just flooded almost completely with Chinese Donghua garbage all the time.

At 1st I didn't think I would enjoy it since I ended up dropping all other Japanese Anime recently that were about golf, but "Rising Impact" somehow broke that mold for me. One factor might have been that I had zero expectations when going in to consuming it and knowing extremely very little about it's premise.

The fact that Netflix dropped "Rising Impact Season 2" the same summer season as the 1st season made it that much more satisfying to binge watch. One of the reason why I love Netflix so much is because they surprise me suddenly dropping shit like this and often release an entire season when it's an Anime ONA. In general it's not often I find an actual Anime ONA I like flooded in the diarrhea cesspool of all the Donghua garbage they have in the MAL database.
ColourWheel2 hours ago
2 hours ago

Jun 2019
I don't share the complaints or views that I've heard a lot of other people express about it being a particularly poor or dull season, but that doesn't mean that I thought there were a large number of outstanding series. I mean, that's true for most random seasons, many of which come and go without there even being a series I feel comfortable giving something as high as like an 8/10 rating to. So even my favorite series or ones I thought were best from among the summer season offerings are like 7/10s at best in my eyes and even some 6s.

Only judging from among the 11 seasonals I either completed already or am committed to watching in full, the ones I thought were most actually truly "hidden" in the sense of being under-discussed or under-promoted (won't necessarily say "underrated" in the literal sense as the actual collective MAL rating may be higher than my personal one) relative to their quality and interesting nature and relative to all the other series released during the season, I'd say were the following:

- Boku no Tsuma wa Kanjou ga Nai
- Ramen Akaneko
- Delico's Nursery
- Tensui no Sakuna-hime
- Kono Sekai wa Fukanzen Sugiru
- Na Nare Hana Nare

I want to reiterate that I am not putting these forward as claimed masterpieces. They're all ones I rated/will be rating 7s and 6s out of 10, and for at least a number of them have one or more major grievances with their execution. But they are also interesting at their root, have one or more notable well-done aspects as well, and I still found more appealing, warts and all, than the bulk of a lot of more popular series.
2 hours ago

May 2018
yep, I agree with sakuna-hime and yatagarasu.
can't yuck my yum

More topics from this board

» 🎖️Best Protagonist of all time & discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

nirererin - Aug 16

787 by ProGoddess »»
26 seconds ago

» Most Overrated/Underrated Anime Discussion Thread v.5 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Tyrel - Apr 26, 2016

4212 by Cielord »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » New Themes ( 1 2 )

Zarutaku - Oct 2

58 by TheSunLife »»
11 minutes ago

Poll: » How many anime do you watch per season?

Twilight321 - Oct 1

49 by Theo1899 »»
13 minutes ago

» Do you care about your anime watching pace?

Zakatsuki_ - 10 hours ago

25 by WesternSiren »»
15 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.