Forum Settings
Forums
New
Yesterday, 11:44 AM

Sep 2024
nhk made me sad more than anything really
THINK ABOUT IT, THINK ABOUT IT, THINK

im completely serious, search up who goatis or sv3rige (modern day prophet and one of the geniuses of enlightened HUMANS) is and open ur eyes. dont be a SLAVE for youre work and blood. dont go blank and avoid reproducing.

top five thugs
1. king 2. bo sinn 3. dreamy then brandon very close tie 4. atlastoby 5. vietnamese squeemer
Yesterday, 12:06 PM
May 2023
Yeah, that show hits hard in my opinion for two main reasons:

1. The issues are based in realism and the characters are relatable and believable and it doesn't pull a magic trick at the end like "friendship is magic and fixes it all" or "if you only work a bit harder you can achieve anything"

2. The story doesn't feel constructed around showing you the most amount of drama in an emotionally manipulative way which some other shows take it so far that it breaks the immersion

The single best other candidate I can think of is:

March comes in like a Lion

Pretty good still:

Monster

Oshi no Ko

Angel Beats

Being a bit too constructed with the suffering:

Banana Fish

It started great and kept going pretty well for really long stretches, but then it eventually comes down to 'friendship is magic':

Fruits Basket

Good for the most part, some traces of issue 1+2, but nothing major, but one can't ignore that it stays goofy for longer than NHK:

Trigun (original series)

Barely passes, but visually unmatched:

Violet Evergarden

Stay away emotionally manipulative sob-bait:

To your Eternity

Your lie in April

Planetarian
Yesterday, 12:10 PM

Sep 2024
Reply to Mazoy
Yeah, that show hits hard in my opinion for two main reasons:

1. The issues are based in realism and the characters are relatable and believable and it doesn't pull a magic trick at the end like "friendship is magic and fixes it all" or "if you only work a bit harder you can achieve anything"

2. The story doesn't feel constructed around showing you the most amount of drama in an emotionally manipulative way which some other shows take it so far that it breaks the immersion

The single best other candidate I can think of is:

March comes in like a Lion

Pretty good still:

Monster

Oshi no Ko

Angel Beats

Being a bit too constructed with the suffering:

Banana Fish

It started great and kept going pretty well for really long stretches, but then it eventually comes down to 'friendship is magic':

Fruits Basket

Good for the most part, some traces of issue 1+2, but nothing major, but one can't ignore that it stays goofy for longer than NHK:

Trigun (original series)

Barely passes, but visually unmatched:

Violet Evergarden

Stay away emotionally manipulative sob-bait:

To your Eternity

Your lie in April

Planetarian
@Mazoy thanks alot, i appreicate the effort u put into classifying them, ill be sure to consider every one of them, ur awesome

im completely serious, search up who goatis or sv3rige (modern day prophet and one of the geniuses of enlightened HUMANS) is and open ur eyes. dont be a SLAVE for youre work and blood. dont go blank and avoid reproducing.

top five thugs
1. king 2. bo sinn 3. dreamy then brandon very close tie 4. atlastoby 5. vietnamese squeemer
Yesterday, 12:30 PM

Jan 2022
A Place Further Than The Universe

@Mazoy

Your Lie in April passes reasons 1 and 2 with flying colors for me, but it could be that I could relate to the story in a very personal way.

Anohana, while I found emotionally manipulative and melodramatic, is usually considered depressing.
mo_laveYesterday, 12:33 PM
Yesterday, 12:49 PM
May 2023
Reply to mo_lave

@Mazoy

Your Lie in April passes reasons 1 and 2 with flying colors for me, but it could be that I could relate to the story in a very personal way.

Anohana, while I found emotionally manipulative and melodramatic, is usually considered depressing.
@mo_lave I have to absolutely agree that Anohana is much worse than YLIA. For
. Also mind that I only mean to stay away for the reasons I pointed out that NHK stands out among other shows. That's the entire reason I added the last four shows - that OP can still decide to watch them if they are more like "Oh, but I actually WANTED to watch a show like that" you know? :)
Yesterday, 12:57 PM

Sep 2024
Reply to mo_lave

@Mazoy

@mo_lave ive been meaning to rewatch anohana, i watched it years ago when i couldnt really interpret deeper meaning that would provoke any real sadness. what would you watch first out of the shows listed above?

@mazoy im contemplating going with violet evergarden or banana fish

wondering if u guys know abt clannad? ive heard it effected some people deeply

top five thugs
Yesterday, 1:01 PM
May 2023
Reply to XDmyst
@mo_lave ive been meaning to rewatch anohana, i watched it years ago when i couldnt really interpret deeper meaning that would provoke any real sadness. what would you watch first out of the shows listed above?

XDmyst said:

Haven't seen it myself!
Yesterday, 1:03 PM

Sep 2024
Reply to Mazoy
XDmyst said:

Haven't seen it myself!

what influenced u more violet evergarden or banana fish

top five thugs
Yesterday, 1:16 PM
May 2023
Reply to XDmyst

XDmyst said:
Banana Fish was the better experience and kept my interest more, because I'm not usually coming to shows just for the drama and heartache, however it did start to feel really repetitive and cruel and sad for sadness sake around the mid point. In all seriousness I wish I could go back in time and tell my old self to just stop watching after episode 13, because that's a good point to nope out of the rest. Also beware the trigger topics.

Violet Evergarden is absolutely strong when it comes to the secondary stories (as is Dororo as well, which I haven't yet mentioned). The overarching main character story is emotional and conclusive and then at the end they dropped it down the toilet in my opinion. There is a movie. There didn't have to be a movie.

But again, the visuals. There's no way Banana Fish could compete with the Violet Evergarden Visuals and they're not trying to, instead you get a good bit of MAPPA action instead, which is also not a bad thing.

But if you're really asking what affected me most personally, it would be 'March comes in like a Lion' and 'Trigun'.
Yesterday, 1:36 PM

Jan 2022
Reply to XDmyst

@XDmyst If you're talking about Mazoy's list, Violet Evergarden first (I'm biased, and am regularly rewatching this), then Your Lie in April (also a regular rewatch), then 3-Gatsu no Lion. These happened to also be the first, third, and fourth animes I've watched when I started getting serious about it. Never looked at the medium seriously until I saw and finished Violet for the first time.

If my list is included, I'll add A Place Further Than The Universe (also a regular rewatch).

About Clannad, the visual novel is the superior experience.
Yesterday, 1:40 PM

Jan 2022
Reply to Mazoy
@mo_lave I have to absolutely agree that Anohana is much worse than YLIA. For
. Also mind that I only mean to stay away for the reasons I pointed out that NHK stands out among other shows. That's the entire reason I added the last four shows - that OP can still decide to watch them if they are more like "Oh, but I actually WANTED to watch a show like that" you know? :)
@Mazoy
Yesterday, 1:44 PM

Sep 2024
Reply to Mazoy
XDmyst said:
Banana Fish was the better experience and kept my interest more, because I'm not usually coming to shows just for the drama and heartache, however it did start to feel really repetitive and cruel and sad for sadness sake around the mid point. In all seriousness I wish I could go back in time and tell my old self to just stop watching after episode 13, because that's a good point to nope out of the rest. Also beware the trigger topics.

Violet Evergarden is absolutely strong when it comes to the secondary stories (as is Dororo as well, which I haven't yet mentioned). The overarching main character story is emotional and conclusive and then at the end they dropped it down the toilet in my opinion. There is a movie. There didn't have to be a movie.

But again, the visuals. There's no way Banana Fish could compete with the Violet Evergarden Visuals and they're not trying to, instead you get a good bit of MAPPA action instead, which is also not a bad thing.

But if you're really asking what affected me most personally, it would be 'March comes in like a Lion' and 'Trigun'.
@Mazoy again really thanks for ur input, ngl nhk kinda put me in a weird crippled mood for like 2 days haha (didnt help i dedicated a whole day to completing it all at once) depression reveals painful truth its valuable anyway, im starting to enjoy heart wrenching shows

i wanted to ease in into something march comes in like a lion because ive heard abt how special it is in sadness. i think ill go with violet evergarden next

thanks for the help

top five thugs
Yesterday, 1:52 PM

Sep 2024
Reply to mo_lave
@XDmyst If you're talking about Mazoy's list, Violet Evergarden first (I'm biased, and am regularly rewatching this), then Your Lie in April (also a regular rewatch), then 3-Gatsu no Lion. These happened to also be the first, third, and fourth animes I've watched when I started getting serious about it. Never looked at the medium seriously until I saw and finished Violet for the first time.

If my list is included, I'll add A Place Further Than The Universe (also a regular rewatch).

About Clannad, the visual novel is the superior experience.
@mo_lave awesome violet evergarden it is, excited for it, looks elegant, ill see it how it holds. i rmmbr the piano one your lie in april, it was sad but unfortunately i didnt find it relatable or realistic enough to continuously make me question some element in my life.

thanks for the help, u both gave some excellent looking experiences

top five thugs
Yesterday, 2:00 PM

Sep 2016
https://myanimelist.net/anime/578/Hotaru_no_Haka
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Yesterday, 5:04 PM
Jul 2024
Hotaru no Haka

Now and Then, Here and There

those 2 are the first ones that come to mind

More topics from this board

» what to watch after Lain

kerokero- - Sep 14

15 by reysune »»
45 minutes ago

» Looking for a love triangle I wont hate

isseixkoneko - Yesterday

3 by isseixkoneko »»
2 hours ago

» Recommend a masterpiece I haven't seen yet

phantom346 - Sep 27

16 by JoeChip »»
2 hours ago

» Suggestions wanted please

ac_rhino - 5 hours ago

3 by Zarutaku »»
5 hours ago

» High fantasy Anime/Manga that aren't western medieval Tolkien-influenced

kizumi91 - Sep 22

15 by Ryuseishun »»
6 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.