Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Aug 22, 10:33 AM
Dec 2019
I know the MAL says it is a Seinen but it does give a feel of Josei to me... So can manga readers answer the following questions?

1. Are there other important male characters that love female lead?
2. Are there other male characters that have romantic vibes with female lead?
3. Does female lead fall in love with male lead? if she did, does she put effort for male lead's love?
4. Is the male lead a simp for the female lead?
5. Does the female lead care about the male lead and not push male lead into dangerous/difficult situations?
6. Does the female lead help the male lead?
7. Who falls in love first?/ who realises it first?/ who confesses first?

AND THE MOST IMPORTANT ONE

8. Does female lead hurts/ attack the male lead emotionally or physically?
Kira_IllusionistAug 22, 10:39 AM
Aug 22, 6:45 PM
Aug 2020
It runs in Monthly Afternoon, a seinen magazine and the same magazine that runs Vinland Saga and that ran Houseki no Kuni. It’s a seinen manga.
Sep 29, 12:14 AM

Jul 2011
Kira_Illusionist said:
it does give a feel of Josei to me

+1

It does not matter which magazine the manga was published in - when I see the cast of 1 female lead + bunch of bishonens it's almost always shoujo/josei .
nick_el_sonSep 29, 12:21 AM
Sep 30, 2:04 PM
Oct 2020
Ignoring what the publishers say, it feels more like a jousei to me. The female character has more depth than the male characters. She's really fun and kick ass, without being a cardboard cutout of what a 'strong female character' is supposed to act like (though her weak to strong swing is a bit of a running gag). I am biased though. I love this manga (though I haven't read it in a long while). The manga isn't exactly a traditional romance, but the main characters have a strong interest in each other and the reader is always aware of it, re-evaluating their status because every situation has a twist. It does have the violence more typical in seinen, but I've run across plenty of violent jousei's too. I will admit maybe I just don't feel like it's a seinen because I usually find most of the characters in seinen and shounen media are developed specifically to meet the needs of one male main character (since it's usually male unless there is some salacious factor involved/ aka a kinky reason the main character is a female) and in this case the characters mostly support a female MC. Maybe I'm being dismissive of seinen writers, but it's just a reflection of my own reading/watching experience I guess.
tabbycat35Sep 30, 7:15 PM
Oct 5, 5:33 AM
Mar 2020
nick_el_son said:
Kira_Illusionist said:
it does give a feel of Josei to me

+1

It does not matter which magazine the manga was published in - when I see the cast of 1 female lead + bunch of bishonens it's almost always shoujo/josei .

The demographics are always based on which magazine publishes it. The demographics literally exist because of the magazines and not because of the cast. If it was published on shounen, its demographic would have been shounen. It’s always been the magazines they’re published on, that determine the demographic.

Even if it’s all female cast and published on shounen, it’ll be branded as shounen.

๐˜š๐˜ฐ๐˜ฎ๐˜ฆ๐˜ต๐˜ช๐˜ฎ๐˜ฆ๐˜ด ๐˜ธ๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ๐˜ฏ ๐˜ ๐˜ค๐˜ญ๐˜ฐ๐˜ด๐˜ฆ ๐˜ฎ๐˜บ ๐˜ฆ๐˜บ๐˜ฆ๐˜ด, ๐˜ ๐˜ค๐˜ข๐˜ฏ’๐˜ต ๐˜ด๐˜ฆ๐˜ฆ.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Oct 5, 5:32 PM

Jun 2015
MeVike said:
nick_el_son said:

+1

The demographics are always based on which magazine publishes it. The demographics literally exist because of the magazines and not because of the cast. If it was published on shounen, its demographic would have been shounen. It’s always been the magazines they’re published on, that determine the demographic.

Even if it’s all female cast and published on shounen, it’ll be branded as shounen.

True though I’ve read a number of manga that were honestly published in the wrong demographic magazine. Like Orange was published in a seinen magazine but it 100% appeals more to shoujo demographics. Same with Our Dreams at Dusk - published in seinen but anyone who’s read it will think it’s more Shounen/Josei
Oct 5, 5:35 PM
Apr 2017
This question is pretty wild, not only for trying to create a forced perception of demographics based on how challenged you feel by a work from the perspective of a female character, but also for believing that the presence of any of the things you mentioned is what defines market demographics, It seems like a very funny trauma and insecurity about womens. Lol.
Oct 6, 9:22 AM
Jun 2024
SML syndrome detected
Oct 7, 10:10 AM
Sep 2022
Reply to Artur_Moreira
This question is pretty wild, not only for trying to create a forced perception of demographics based on how challenged you feel by a work from the perspective of a female character, but also for believing that the presence of any of the things you mentioned is what defines market demographics, It seems like a very funny trauma and insecurity about womens. Lol.
@Artur_Moreira

It’s truly amazing how bent out of shape some people get when romance is targeted towards men. Anyone who watches a lot of romance can easily tell the difference between shonen/seinen romance and shojo/josei romance. Just watching the first episode of this, it’s definitely seinen. People didn’t have a problem with Frieren being a shonen with a female main character, but make the genre romance and suddenly there’s no way the target audience can be male ๐Ÿ™„
Oct 7, 12:06 PM

Sep 2013
Is it like Kusuriya where i can enjoy this without being a chick?
Deep dark fantasies
Oct 7, 12:32 PM
Oct 2020
Reply to ropiel
@ropiel Can both guys and girls enjoy it? Yes. Would YOU enjoy it? How the hell would we know lol
Oct 7, 12:33 PM

Sep 2013
Reply to tabbycat35
@ropiel Can both guys and girls enjoy it? Yes. Would YOU enjoy it? How the hell would we know lol
@tabbycat35 chara design looks cool i'll try it tomorrow and pray i do
Deep dark fantasies
Oct 7, 1:11 PM

Feb 2019
Why do westerners struggle so much with demographics
Oct 7, 1:15 PM

Jan 2013
Who gives a shit? If you are intrigued by the premise just watch it and see if it resonates with you.
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Oct 7, 1:17 PM

Jan 2013
Reply to ropiel
@ropiel This may come a big shock, but you can also enjoy female demo media without being a chick.
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Oct 7, 1:19 PM

Sep 2013
Reply to LostSpectre
@ropiel This may come a big shock, but you can also enjoy female demo media without being a chick.
@LostSpectre i used to think that too then i watched fruit basket and acknowledged sometimes some media are not for me
Deep dark fantasies
Oct 7, 1:29 PM
Oct 2020
Reply to ropiel
@tabbycat35 chara design looks cool i'll try it tomorrow and pray i do
@ropiel Ok Here's a real answer to your question. I have read a fair bit of the Kusuriya no Hitorigoto novel and I've watched the show. I've read up to volume 6 or 7 (out of 8 so far) of the Raise wa Tanin ga Ii manga so I can give a rough comparison.

I thought the Kusuriya anime did a great job, but they also did a slightly better job of pacing in the anime than the novel did. A novel has a lot of content they can afford to edit out or change as long as you have a good director/writers. Plus a novel assumes you are going to sit down and read it from start to finish (or at least in chunks) so it can support a more complex story line. So you are starting from a slightly higher bar imo.

Raise wa Tanin ga Ii has released 8 volumes over 7 years. Assuming you are reading each volume 1 year apart (or in the serialized magazine however often it is released) the pacing is completely different. Even if a manga has a high page count, a lot of the space is filled with illustrations rather than dialogue. Basically, Raise wa Tanin ga Ii has a shallower story line. You can expect a richer visual experience, but a less fleshed out story line. This is where it's all going to be up to the production company to fill the gap. How will they do? We will have to find out. So far the first episode has followed the manga ok. They've done the humor well, but I am a bit iffy on the dramatic parts. Kirishima is supposed to flip from pretty normal to fairly creepy with a flip of a switch. The manga captures the atmosphere well in still frames, but the anime makes the moments feel more sleazy than dangerous to me. Yoshino is supposed to feel kind of Imperial when she snaps. Looking at people's comments, they seems to have liked her reaction, but I am not sure it conveyed her sense of absolute contempt as well as it could have.

I absolutely loved the manga the first time reading it, but I was reading it as it was released so there were long gaps between readings. I reread some of the manga just a few days ago in 1 sitting and since I knew the twists and gimmicks already it wasn't as exciting, but it was decent. Some of the emotional tension was drawn out for too long imo, but that's something the anime can address through editing and pacing. So fingers crossed the production team can pull it off.
Oct 7, 1:35 PM

Sep 2013
Reply to tabbycat35
@ropiel Ok Here's a real answer to your question. I have read a fair bit of the Kusuriya no Hitorigoto novel and I've watched the show. I've read up to volume 6 or 7 (out of 8 so far) of the Raise wa Tanin ga Ii manga so I can give a rough comparison.

I thought the Kusuriya anime did a great job, but they also did a slightly better job of pacing in the anime than the novel did. A novel has a lot of content they can afford to edit out or change as long as you have a good director/writers. Plus a novel assumes you are going to sit down and read it from start to finish (or at least in chunks) so it can support a more complex story line. So you are starting from a slightly higher bar imo.

Raise wa Tanin ga Ii has released 8 volumes over 7 years. Assuming you are reading each volume 1 year apart (or in the serialized magazine however often it is released) the pacing is completely different. Even if a manga has a high page count, a lot of the space is filled with illustrations rather than dialogue. Basically, Raise wa Tanin ga Ii has a shallower story line. You can expect a richer visual experience, but a less fleshed out story line. This is where it's all going to be up to the production company to fill the gap. How will they do? We will have to find out. So far the first episode has followed the manga ok. They've done the humor well, but I am a bit iffy on the dramatic parts. Kirishima is supposed to flip from pretty normal to fairly creepy with a flip of a switch. The manga captures the atmosphere well in still frames, but the anime makes the moments feel more sleazy than dangerous to me. Yoshino is supposed to feel kind of Imperial when she snaps. Looking at people's comments, they seems to have liked her reaction, but I am not sure it conveyed her sense of absolute contempt as well as it could have.

I absolutely loved the manga the first time reading it, but I was reading it as it was released so there were long gaps between readings. I reread some of the manga just a few days ago in 1 sitting and since I knew the twists and gimmicks already it wasn't as exciting, but it was decent. Some of the emotional tension was drawn out for too long imo, but that's something the anime can address through editing and pacing. So fingers crossed the production team can pull it off.
@tabbycat35 Thanks for the deep dive answer, i won't expect too much but this might be unique enough to be a good pick this season.
Deep dark fantasies
Oct 7, 6:06 PM
Oct 2019
Lol wth am I reading with some of these comments. Because you find the character is not well-written, it is a shounen/seinen. But if it’s a well-written character then suddenly it’s a shoujo/josei ? Even if it literally is a seinen ? Lol the bias with that mindset is ridiculous. So shounen and seinen can’t have well-written characters ?

I find certain shoujosei fans tend to be rather elitist and sexist when it comes to romance. Any seinen/shounen romance is trash to them and always “for the male gaze”. If the seinen/shounen romance is good, suddenly it’s “feels like josei”.
Oct 7, 8:47 PM
Oct 2020
Uuuh, just going to put it out there, but if a seinen character ISN't being written for the male gaze they need to reconsider their publisher. That is literally who it's being marketed for. Literally, how and where are they advertising and spending their money to get eyes on their product. If it's mis-marketed, that's a shame for both the writer and the readers. As for whether a well written female character is only written for a female audience? Of course not. Is a well written female character appealing to women? Yes! Is a well written female character appealing to men? Yes! Women read seinen, men read jousei. We can all agree on that yes? But when you ask is a story a seinen or jousei it's kind of like just asking, 'Is this the type of story that would appeal to me?'. None of us knows the answer to that so we can only just answer vaguely what we felt about the writing style. Genre's bleed into each other. Ultimately it was picked up by seinen publisher yes, but if a jousei one said yes first or offered more money for it I have little doubt it would have been published there. Personally I just hope the mangaka is getting the best deal out of it so they will be encouraged to keep doing the story.
Oct 12, 4:50 PM
Dec 2016
Reply to tabbycat35
Uuuh, just going to put it out there, but if a seinen character ISN't being written for the male gaze they need to reconsider their publisher. That is literally who it's being marketed for. Literally, how and where are they advertising and spending their money to get eyes on their product. If it's mis-marketed, that's a shame for both the writer and the readers. As for whether a well written female character is only written for a female audience? Of course not. Is a well written female character appealing to women? Yes! Is a well written female character appealing to men? Yes! Women read seinen, men read jousei. We can all agree on that yes? But when you ask is a story a seinen or jousei it's kind of like just asking, 'Is this the type of story that would appeal to me?'. None of us knows the answer to that so we can only just answer vaguely what we felt about the writing style. Genre's bleed into each other. Ultimately it was picked up by seinen publisher yes, but if a jousei one said yes first or offered more money for it I have little doubt it would have been published there. Personally I just hope the mangaka is getting the best deal out of it so they will be encouraged to keep doing the story.
Nah, men don't read josei, It's for women.
Oct 13, 4:47 AM

May 2009
Reply to ixaa
MeVike said:
nick_el_son said:

+1

True though I’ve read a number of manga that were honestly published in the wrong demographic magazine. Like Orange was published in a seinen magazine but it 100% appeals more to shoujo demographics. Same with Our Dreams at Dusk - published in seinen but anyone who’s read it will think it’s more Shounen/Josei
@ixaa Orange started in shoujo magazine Bessatsu Margaret but after 2 volumes there was some conflict between author and publisher. She moved to Futabasha and they put her manga in seinen Monthly Action
Oct 13, 4:49 AM

May 2009
Reply to rocknard
@rocknard Plenty of men read Chihayafuru or Usagi Drop
Oct 14, 7:55 AM

Jun 2015
Reply to rocknard
@rocknard Point is if you read My Dreams at Dusk, it's a bit more women coded even though it was published in a seinen magazine

Oct 14, 8:48 AM
Dec 2016
Reply to bastek66
@rocknard Plenty of men read Chihayafuru or Usagi Drop
@bastek66 I readed both of them, but it is not the "typical" Girl with 5 bishoujo men around her.

Maybe i'm picking the extreme of the spectrum of "josei", but i consider usagi and chihaya is "mild" Josei from the typical drama with many mens around showing their bodies to her with a date for each one archetype of male.

Maybe i don't say all the Josei, but one without much meddling with many mens.

In this case i'm seeing "Raise wa Tanin ga Ii", but i genuily don't like others mens messing with the woman of main character. So obviously the Josei genre collides with the male sector.
rocknardOct 14, 8:56 AM
Oct 14, 9:25 AM

May 2009
Reply to rocknard
@bastek66 I readed both of them, but it is not the "typical" Girl with 5 bishoujo men around her.

Maybe i'm picking the extreme of the spectrum of "josei", but i consider usagi and chihaya is "mild" Josei from the typical drama with many mens around showing their bodies to her with a date for each one archetype of male.

Maybe i don't say all the Josei, but one without much meddling with many mens.

In this case i'm seeing "Raise wa Tanin ga Ii", but i genuily don't like others mens messing with the woman of main character. So obviously the Josei genre collides with the male sector.
@rocknard It's READ not readed
"typical" doesn't mean shit you confuse reverse harem genre with josei which only means magazine
BISHOUNEN not bishoujo men.
Again, josei doesn't mean anything specific. Genres of Chihayafuru is sports, drama (and very little romance).
Again josei isn't genre.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Raise wa Tanin ga Ii Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Fynel - Oct 14

54 by MickeyMinaj »»
54 minutes ago

» Still can't get over what she did in episode 1

the_great_prince - Yesterday

5 by V1P3R0P »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » Raise wa Tanin ga Ii Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 7

110 by patkarunungan »»
3 hours ago

» Manga cover

kisaragi_eki - Oct 14

13 by tamimhasan20035 »»
Yesterday, 9:19 AM

» Don't underestimate this anime

kisaragi_eki - Oct 9

16 by kisaragi_eki »»
Oct 14, 3:08 PM
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.