Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
May 17, 10:06 AM
Jul 2021
I've watched lots of cut content for season 2 and it feels like the anime left out a lot of small talk and details. I always loved the anime for it's attention to detail so it makes me sad that they skipped lots of stuff that would make the side characters shine so much more.
With that being said I was wondering how long would season 2 be if they covered everything and if the extra effort would even be worth it for the anime.
May 17, 10:23 AM

Mar 2021
people complained the pacing to be slow in season 2 part 1,with atleast 60% of cut content. Imagine if it covered them all...
May 17, 10:52 AM
Dec 2019
V1P3R0P said:
people complained the pacing to be slow in season 2 part 1,with atleast 60% of cut content. Imagine if it covered them all...

No more quotes; replies needed. Bro gave the best answer you could I possibly give.
May 17, 11:06 AM
Feb 2021
V1P3R0P said:

That would make s2 pt1 30 eps long lol
May 17, 12:32 PM

Jul 2017
It is a light novel adaptation so skipping things unfortunately is an inevitability more than anything. Even the best light novel adaptations do not cover every single detail. Even though season 1 definitely had more when it came to the openings, I still feel like season 2 has done a really good job in characterizing people, providing what life is like at the university, build relationships, slowly expand the lore and much more in this period of time. The only episode I feel like more time was needed (like an extra episode) was episode 2 in the first cour but besides that, I've been very pleased with the rest of it and the pacing there for the most part. Even the first season for how great it was with its attention to detail visually, did skip some POV chapters, did condense the stuff after Rudeus and Paul's reunion in Millis till they got to Shirone by removing parts of the journey and characters to get to that point. The anime still had stuff feel natural with its pacing but again, it is not realistic to have every single detail be covered. Even with how Studio Bind lost a lot of talent to other projects, I still feel like the anime's been a really great watch with the second season (especially the ongoing cour) of showcasing details and having character moments and plot beats matter, and long-term character development thrive. Even 86, one of the most beloved light novel adaptations, sacrifice a lot of exposition and detail about its battles and weaponry to focus more on the characters, even considering that only 2 volumes are covered in 20+ episodes.

You also have to keep in mind, the pacing for anime and pacing for books are very different too. While more episodes could have been there for season 2 to feature more details, you already have people that feel like the series was going nowhere because of the slow pacing and buildup of characters, so slowing that down even more could backfire as well. Like with the 86 example, it did not cover plenty of details but if it did cover what I mentioned was skipped, I would like the anime a lot less. The pacing was slow enough as it was to still be effective and if it went even slower to cover boring parts like weaponry and battle exposition, I would probably get tired of it myself. Ultimately, the books for Mushoku Tensei are better but I still think the anime's done a great job considering the boundaries that it has to work under to have the side characters, cast and many things else about it shine.
May 17, 5:40 PM
Oct 2021
people would stop watching if they covered literally everything especially LN. like in the slime anime where it's called meeting episode or meeting arc. I'm pretty sure people stopped watching and some of them will comeback when it's combat time. It's the same here since it's basically a school/slice of life arc. Besides some anime don't get the luxury of having a 24 episodes since it's not that simple in terms of finding a date/time slot for it.
May 17, 5:45 PM
Jul 2021
u would need the eps to be rezero length but keep the same 12 eps. it would be doable. honestly as much as i love the op and ed too u could do at least the s1 thing and itd already add a lot
May 17, 6:27 PM
Jun 2021
what do you think?
May 18, 12:47 AM
Community Mod
Equanimity

Nov 2020
It is never possible to adapt an LN 100%, books will always have more details. We would probably need 20 episodes or so to adapt everything down to the last detail.
May 18, 6:43 AM
Jan 2023
Gavinmercer said:
V1P3R0P said:

That would make s2 pt1 30 eps long lol

you know what that doesn't sounds bad either
May 18, 1:43 PM

Jul 2016
It'd be so much longer, pace would be all out of sorts.
May 18, 4:50 PM

Oct 2015
V1P3R0P said:

Full adaptation will show Rudeus’s full character development but the action maniacs will fall asleep watching it?

I have not watched S2P2 but I heard the anime also cut Norn’s character development~

If I recall correctly from the 26 volumes of the LN, the main message of Mushoku Tensei is to spread awareness of outcasts in society, not sure how the anime will message it~

To OP:

Like everyone else has mentioned, LN adaptations are just commercials to promote LN so they tend to cut a ton of content.

The only great isekai LN adaptation I can think of is the assassin one but I don’t really enjoy the book Volume 2 onwards. XD

Honourable mention to Eminence In Shadow for mainly cutting on Cid’s chunni monologues.
May 18, 5:14 PM
Nov 2017
Just after i watch LOTR behind the scene interview few hours ago, some actor and the director explaining why many thing just cant translated well from the book.
May 18, 7:54 PM
Jan 2021
Just gonna say this but more doesn't mean better, I have read the s2 part 1 in the ln and watch the anime, I find the anime much more digestible and a bit better.

From what i heard from ln readers, the school arc is considered to be the weakest arc(not bad), making it shorter while still retaining its story, sounds like a good thing.
May 20, 12:53 AM

Sep 2015
I'm interested in knowing what content was cut this season
May 22, 2:07 AM

Jul 2012
If I were to give my own take, most of the cut content in general so far was for the better, especially when it comes to Rudeus' rapey/creep monologues whenever those pop around in the WN/LN (when it comes to that, less is best).

All we miss is a little more detail on some particularities of places, definitions and minor characterizations for the most part in 3 books per season that, starting from Season 2, didn't really have too much else of truly significant to add.

Volume 7 and 8 in particular are arguably two of the least substantious of the entire story, so it's no wonder they really blazed through them. Stretching any of these to adapt every single little thing wouldn't really add any game-changing content to them, it would just further harm to pace (which is already pretty slow because of the kind of content covered).

If you watched the videos on YT about the cut content, you should probably know that at best you are given a bit more context for some things. And god forbid if the ED arc kept going for longer than a cour worth of episodes, it's easily trimmable and also not exactly a most stellar part of the story all things considered, at all.
DanpmssMay 22, 2:11 AM
May 27, 1:00 AM

Dec 2015
I don't know the source. But the pacing in part 1 felt fine. Here in part 2 a bit slow - so far. (I guess the main story will kick in again in the next episodes.) Even the "turning point" episode felt not that interesting. Must also be because the OP/ED feel less great than in the previous seasons but this is the first time that I might go with 8 (at least so far) - instead of the usual 9 I scored.

Imo they could have went to the start of the journey faster. Cutting on the marriage and family stuff. (A bit boring. But a matter of taste I guess. Previous seasons did not have that much I think. Or it felt better with other/better chars. I'd rather have seen longer dialogues with Rudeus talking with the school principal about leaving and taking the books than lots of family moments lol.)

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mushoku Tensei II: Isekai Ittara Honki Dasu Part 2 Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

-Acheron - Jun 2

191 by Akaseaka »»
2 hours ago

» Anime speed for the next episodes

Gragnor - Jun 5

11 by karrotStick »»
7 hours ago

» Episode 21 (Cour 2 Ep 9) Preview Images

MangagnaM - Today

1 by Muhanrblx »»
8 hours ago

» Episode 21 (Cour 2 Episode 9) Preview video

animejas - Today

2 by CirceOwO »»
9 hours ago

» Why do people defend Rudeus? ( 1 2 3 4 )

Leon888 - May 16

158 by meyve »»
11 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.