Forum Settings
Forums

For those who ever rewatch anything, are there any anime you can't really casually rewatch in whole or in part due to intensity?

New
Apr 24, 1:14 PM

Jun 2019
Note that I said "casually". I don't mean ever at all or ever again. They could be some of your favorite series and ones which mean the most to you.

I've had this passing thought about it surface a few times and I've realized that I'm like that. Certain anime series (though it could apply to films as well, of course), in my case typically thrillers, romantic dramas, and romantic thrillers - are so intense (as in, when either big plot developments and deliberately written as nerve-racking, sad, nauseating, gruesome, etc. scenes are unfolding) and without a significant amount of downtime in-between episodes or even scenes within individual episodes between those scenes which may elicit tears or get your heart pumping and adrenaline racing, and so on and so forth.

There are series which also have these moments - in some cases of lesser, equal, or even greater intensity, but they also have a greater quantity of episodes or substantial parts of episodes where nothing particularly important or plot-relevant is happening, no big conflict or loss - a lot more Slice of Life segments, comedic relief, etc.

Personally, for me, examples of series like this are Koi Kaze, Elfen Lied, Aku no Hana, and Happy Sugar Life. These aren't the kind of series I could just flip on one episode of randomly out of order in a casual manner or to relax to and derive any enjoyment from the process, because I can't really ever rewatch them without getting fully sucked into the vortex of the overwhelming envelopment of psychological and emotional intensity and the resulting mental state or "headspace" they generate.

Whereas other series, which also have many intense moments, some of which may be milder, but some of which may be equal or even greater, also have a fair bit of SoL, comedy, general low stakes monster-of-the-week episode, etc., so you can still rewatch different parts and not get fully sucked into only the rollercoaster of the whole journey. Examples of series like this for me are Inuyasha, Higurashi, and Haibane Renmei.

I'd be interested in hearing those of others who this applies to. Whoever recognizes this phenomenon and has identified their own of ones which are like this for them. And the reasoning as to why. Or maybe there are some series, even including ones you really admired and appreciated, loved, and rated highly, which you can't rewatch again at all period (or haven't even attempted to try thus far) because they cut too deep.
WatchTillTandavaApr 24, 1:51 PM
Apr 24, 1:36 PM

Feb 2019
Clannad is a classic one. I do plan on rewatching it but I have no idea when I would. It's such an tearjerking show that I don't think I will rewatch until I need an outlet to cry.

Serial Experiments Lain & Evangelion - Im planning on rewatching both very soon but I can't find the right moment as both can feel mentally draining in terms of how convoluted the story is & how depressing the vibe can feel. Both are the type of shows you can only watch with specific mindset/mood.

Monogatari Series & FLCL - Both are dense shows with a lot to unpack per episode. I love every bit of them but I do need to be in the right mood & have enough brain storage to rewatch again.
Apr 24, 1:58 PM
Dec 2022
There's actually a lot of reasons that can deter me from rewatching but generally, the intensity of the tone and violence can deter me from rewatching or even completing a series. Drifters, which is basically historical warriors being isekai'ed into a fantasy world, is one that I admit I couldn't finish because the tone of the story felt way too tiring/bleak to care. Interestingly enough I didn't have a problem with this with one of the author's previous works Hellsing.

Aside from violence, drama in which nothing ever goes right for the protag/main cast can also be a big deterrence for me, even if they come out on top in the end.
Also, depending on the circumstances/situation, killing can be a big turn off. This one can come off as strange since this only happens to me when it comes to anime/anime style works. Live action, western cartoon styles, and video games are exempt from this. Triage X is one example that comes to mind. Of course, something like Gundam is perfectly fine with me.
PsyzzyApr 24, 2:03 PM
Apr 24, 1:59 PM

Sep 2016
Can't casually rewatch Mahou Shoujo ni Akogarete because the yuri is too intense.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Apr 24, 2:04 PM

Jun 2019
Psyzzy said:
There's actually a lot of reasons that can deter me from rewatching but generally, the intensity of the tone and violence can deter me from rewatching or even completing a series. Drifters, which is basically historical warriors being isekai'ed into a fantasy world, is one that I admit I couldn't finish because the tone of the story felt way too tiring/bleak to care.

Drifters?! I've never actually seen any part of it at all, but I've heard of it and looked up its page on MAL in the past, and my impression from the synopsis and genres listed was that it was a comedic parody series?
Apr 24, 3:20 PM

Sep 2018
I don't rewatch random episodes casually. When I rewatch, I either do it with the utmost attention from the first episode to the last one, or I rewatch a specific scene I really liked, but not a full episode.
Apr 24, 3:32 PM
Nov 2017
If you mean the intensity of my boner when rewatching said anime, absolutely
Apr 24, 3:53 PM
Dec 2022
Reply to WatchTillTandava
Psyzzy said:
There's actually a lot of reasons that can deter me from rewatching but generally, the intensity of the tone and violence can deter me from rewatching or even completing a series. Drifters, which is basically historical warriors being isekai'ed into a fantasy world, is one that I admit I couldn't finish because the tone of the story felt way too tiring/bleak to care.

Drifters?! I've never actually seen any part of it at all, but I've heard of it and looked up its page on MAL in the past, and my impression from the synopsis and genres listed was that it was a comedic parody series?
@WatchTillTandava I mean it does have its comedic moments, but let's just say they get pretty somewhat in depth with the rape and pillage in the early chapters. Even then the comedy is far in between.

It is made by the same person who made Hellsing after all and considering the amount of violence that can happen in that work, take what you will with this knowledge.
Apr 24, 4:00 PM

Dec 2020
Not really intense in the way that you describe it, but as much as I love it, I can't casually rewatch the Monogatari Series. It's definitely a show that I have to set aside time to watch.
Apr 24, 4:19 PM
May 2023
Yes, there are quite a few titles that I refrain from rewatching.. They are either complex or of one time watch intensity.. Incidentally, couple of these are from romantic genre..
Apr 24, 4:36 PM

Jul 2019
Only two shows that I have greatly enjoyed, do I have a hard time rewatching. Mushoku Tensei, and Shinsekai yori.

Both deal with certain topics that hit a little too close to home, and dredge up some unpleasant memories. Fantastic shows, that I plan on revisiting again sometime in the future, but that just leave an unpleasant feeling in the pit of my stomach during certain moments.
Apr 24, 4:46 PM

May 2021
JJK S2. Its a tradition for me to watch their fights scenes every 2 weeks or so.
Apr 24, 4:48 PM

Aug 2018
I don't rewatch certain shows because they're too long or I don't care much about those anime in the first place.

I'd gladly rewatch hentai, even intense ones.
Apr 24, 9:50 PM

Jul 2021
Grave of the Fireflies was devastating when I watched it around 3rd grade (I think), and decades later I still don't feel ready to watch it again.

Even back then I thought the movie was incredible, but I think I had nightmares in which I was living through those scenarios. I still remember certain scenes vividly, which is more than I can say about most films I have seen a single time at that age.

Out of the things I've seen as an adult, Paranoia Agent is what comes to mind right now. I wouldn't say it was "scary" or "intense", but something about the show really got under my skin. I do really want to watch it again at some point.
Apr 25, 12:20 PM

Dec 2018
I'd say Haikyuu. At least for the first and second seasons. It's not a very intense series, but the show evoked a lot of strong emotions from me. If I rewatched an episode or two, I know I wouldn't get that same feeling or reach that sort of meaningful insight as I had from watching the whole thing.
May 26, 5:02 PM

Aug 2019
No, not really. If I rewatch something, I'm going to watch the whole thing - reasons being is that I liked it a lot to begin with in its entirety, so I'm willing to sit through it again.
May 27, 12:50 AM

Jan 2023
I can only rewatch stuff like 'March comes in like a Lion' and 'Your Lie in April' when I feel like I'm in the right mood for it because of how intense it can be drama-wise.
May 27, 5:54 PM

Oct 2022
This perfectly describes how I feel about Fruits Basket. I love the show but it is way to depressing at certain parts to just casually watch.
-Login to mal
-Looks at notifications
-Three messages deleted
"Oh no"
May 27, 8:37 PM

Aug 2010
I still haven't rewatched Wolf Children because of that reason. I don't know if I can handle watching the ending again in particular, it left me with a heavy feeling after finishing it the first time.
May 28, 3:47 AM
May 2024
I couldn't bear to rewatch the episode of Nina Tucker and Alexander in Fullmetal Alchemist the last time I replayed the series. The episode was to heart-wrenching and devastating.

More topics from this board

Poll: » is the word "disney" plot or story a valid criticism?

deg - 23 minutes ago

3 by Zarutaku »»
2 minutes ago

» InuYasha as an Isekai Narrative.

Hartm12 - 9 hours ago

7 by JoeChip »»
2 minutes ago

» What do you think of split POV in romance anime?

Quadruple_Oi - Yesterday

14 by Quadruple_Oi »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » bad ending means a bad show?

deg - 1 hour ago

14 by inim »»
7 minutes ago

» Who are your Top 10 Favorite Waifus?

DesuMaiden - 3 hours ago

12 by Thanatos1 »»
11 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.