Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 11, 3:02 PM
Sep 2021
Since the movie has officially premiered across the US on January 9th and 10th we need a thread to discuss it for everyone in the US that attended the past couple days. What did you think of the movie? Do you think this is the end of the series or will there be another season or movie? Thoughts on the ending and what Dorothy's smile means? Did you find the ending rushed and/or confusing?
sagedevaultJan 11, 3:22 PM

Jan 13, 11:04 AM
Nov 2010
The trailer called this movie a short story before the next season so I definitely don't think it's the end of the series.

I think she was Pretending to have amnesia for 10y. Maybe real amnesia that only lasted a day or so like Jay.

When Dorothy got shot they didn't show any blood so I immediately thought Bingyan shot her with a rubber bullet. That made Dorothy realize Laurent's team was involved. And Laurent approaching her at the station confirmed it hence the smile.

Can MAL please let me mark this as complete it keeps changing back to watching.
raff-rafflesiaJan 13, 11:13 AM
Jan 13, 11:06 AM
Jan 2024
Reply to raff-rafflesia
The trailer called this movie a short story before the next season so I definitely don't think it's the end of the series.

I think she was Pretending to have amnesia for 10y. Maybe real amnesia that only lasted a day or so like Jay.

When Dorothy got shot they didn't show any blood so I immediately thought Bingyan shot her with a rubber bullet. That made Dorothy realize Laurent's team was involved. And Laurent approaching her at the station confirmed it hence the smile.

Can MAL please let me mark this as complete it keeps changing back to watching.
@raff-rafflesia
What makes you think she was pretending?
Jan 13, 11:17 AM
Nov 2010
Reply to JJJJAnime13
@raff-rafflesia
What makes you think she was pretending?
@JJJJAnime13 The title of the series being the great pretender. lol
Parallels with Jay's situation
How she's forgiving of con artists (never calling the cops) because she remembers that she used to be one

I'm trying to figure out how much of the plot was according to keikaku. And when laurent figured out dorothy was there. Clearly edamura was there "on vacation" because he was working with laurent on heist 2. Did ai and abby know each other because ai played a part in heist 1? Bing as well? If so then it was deliberate that ai tried to con dorothy's mom while she was visiting.
raff-rafflesiaJan 13, 12:02 PM
Jan 13, 1:05 PM
Jan 2024
Reply to raff-rafflesia
@JJJJAnime13 The title of the series being the great pretender. lol
Parallels with Jay's situation
How she's forgiving of con artists (never calling the cops) because she remembers that she used to be one

I'm trying to figure out how much of the plot was according to keikaku. And when laurent figured out dorothy was there. Clearly edamura was there "on vacation" because he was working with laurent on heist 2. Did ai and abby know each other because ai played a part in heist 1? Bing as well? If so then it was deliberate that ai tried to con dorothy's mom while she was visiting.
@raff-rafflesia
So you’re saying that she would lie to the nice couple that took take of her for 10 years ? And to Laurent?
It’s called ‘Great Pretender’, but they only con bad people , and even then they don’t want to kill them.
Jan 13, 8:51 PM
Nov 2010
Reply to JJJJAnime13
@raff-rafflesia
So you’re saying that she would lie to the nice couple that took take of her for 10 years ? And to Laurent?
It’s called ‘Great Pretender’, but they only con bad people , and even then they don’t want to kill them.
@JJJJAnime13 She pretended to have permanent amnesia because she wanted to start her life over, not because she was conning her adopted parents. I do believe she really loves them. And yes she lied to Laurent but it may be unspoken that he knows she's pretending.

I never said they wanted to kill people but bing using a rubber bullet is how dorothy figured she was a con artist.
raff-rafflesiaJan 13, 9:01 PM
Jan 13, 9:57 PM
Jan 2024
Reply to raff-rafflesia
@JJJJAnime13 She pretended to have permanent amnesia because she wanted to start her life over, not because she was conning her adopted parents. I do believe she really loves them. And yes she lied to Laurent but it may be unspoken that he knows she's pretending.

I never said they wanted to kill people but bing using a rubber bullet is how dorothy figured she was a con artist.
@raff-rafflesia
Making her adopted parents believe she has amnesia in order to get taken care of by them sounds like she’s taking advantage of them.
And Laurent hallucinated her for 10 years. I just really doubt she did it on purpose, because she would have considered how it would hurt him, and Laurent definitely did not know with the way the anime portrays it, it would not have made sense for him to know.
JJJJAnime13Jan 14, 10:15 AM
Jan 14, 2:58 PM
Nov 2010
Reply to JJJJAnime13
@raff-rafflesia
Making her adopted parents believe she has amnesia in order to get taken care of by them sounds like she’s taking advantage of them.
And Laurent hallucinated her for 10 years. I just really doubt she did it on purpose, because she would have considered how it would hurt him, and Laurent definitely did not know with the way the anime portrays it, it would not have made sense for him to know.
@JJJJAnime13 she probably had amnesia for a short while like Jay and then never told them her memories came back. And yes I do think she didn't care how much it hurt laurent. You're being too charitable about these character's motivations. They're con artists not heroes/robin hood.
raff-rafflesiaJan 14, 3:06 PM
Jan 14, 3:02 PM
Jan 2024
Reply to raff-rafflesia
@JJJJAnime13 she probably had amnesia for a short while like Jay and then never told them her memories came back. And yes I do think she didn't care how much it hurt laurent. You're being too charitable about these character's motivations. They're con artists not heroes/robin hood.
@raff-rafflesia
This all feels like a head - canon.
Are you some type of shipper?This theory seems pretty common with them.
Why wouldn’t she tell them? Why would she keep it hidden from them? She’ll still be taking advantage of them as they were under the impression that she still had amnesia.

Amnesia can range from short - term to permanent, there is no reason to believe that Dorothy kept up the act for 10 years. How come she says stuff like “Why the hell is my life like this?” ?
JJJJAnime13Jan 15, 1:02 AM
Jan 15, 11:51 AM
Jul 2023
Reply to raff-rafflesia
@raff-rafflesia she could’ve gotten her memory back as she was shot you know. And I think you’re missing the whole point of the series that the system is the main issue, not the con artists, when you say favourable attitudes toward Dorothy are too charitable. The smile at the end doesn’t have to mean she consciously recognizes him, it could just be her subconscious making her feel at home with Laurent.
Jan 16, 1:36 AM
Nov 2010
JJJJAnime13 said:

Did you really create your mal account just to shitpost in this thread?
Jan 16, 7:06 AM
Jan 2024
Reply to raff-rafflesia
JJJJAnime13 said:

Did you really create your mal account just to shitpost in this thread?
@raff-rafflesia

How is this shit posting exactly?

Again. It doesn’t seem you have any evidence to back up your ‘fake amnesia theory’.

So come up with something concrete otherwise I’m done talking to you.
JJJJAnime13Jan 16, 8:50 AM
Jan 25, 5:13 PM

Jan 2020
Man the ending was amazing. All of this was Laurent's doing. Man is a fucking CHAD. I was never expecting that, hell everyone in the theater was not expecting that. I kinda feel like there are things left off. What happened to my boy Edamame?
Feb 22, 7:52 PM

Jul 2021
Why is here an ONA episode series rather than a movie?
Feb 22, 8:07 PM

Jan 2016
Shouldn't this be finished? they released 4 episodes as a movie
Feb 22, 8:13 PM

Oct 2017
This was a total letdown and nowhere near how good the main season was. Knew Laurent was gonna be involved so it didn't come as a surprise but I do wonder if Dorothy got her memory back or not?

Didn't get much Edamame and Abby only had two lines over phone. Well atleast we got Bingyan out if it, she's a fine woman. Idk if this is a setup for a new season/sequel but we'll see.
MegamiRemMay 4, 2:20 PM
Feb 22, 8:17 PM

Jan 2009
Reply to hKonata
Shouldn't this be finished? they released 4 episodes as a movie
@hKonata give it few more hours or a day since the database moderators are usually slow to update things
Feb 22, 8:44 PM
Dec 2022
Soooo nice to see some Great Pretender stuff after so long.

Feb 22, 8:46 PM
Jan 2024
Reply to Cestlavie_
@Cestlavie_

Because the movie is four episodes put together.
Feb 22, 10:41 PM

Jun 2019
It’s not licensed to Netflix? 😔
Feb 23, 12:14 AM
Aug 2019
I think she got memories back qfter getting shot cuh
Feb 23, 12:24 AM

Jul 2015
Cestlavie_ said:

It's four episodes split into parts, 20 minutes each.

Feb 23, 2:05 AM
Jan 2012
LMAO I GOT PLAYED SO HARD

Was expecting it to be a gigantic setup for a sequel but nah the movie just straight-up fucks you over in the last 10mn, it was so goddamn cool

At first a 7/10 but nah let's go with 8

I wonder
Feb 23, 2:21 AM
Oct 2019
Zccdcccc said:

Was expecting it to be a gigantic setup for a sequel but nah the movie just straight-up fucks you over in the last 10mn, it was so goddamn cool

I wonder

I think a sequel is needed tho
Feb 23, 4:41 AM

Apr 2022
bro really showed up at the end.
Feb 23, 4:53 AM

Sep 2020
Why so many 1/5 rating ?
Feb 23, 4:56 AM

Jan 2009
the mastermind is laurent all along eh to con or get revenge on the syndicate that shot dorothy but damn dorothy still has amnesia it seems or her smile in the end knows that was laurent her old lover
Feb 23, 10:13 AM
Sep 2015
I don't know why everyone keep discussing on whether Dorothy really fake her amnesia or not instead of how hot Jay's body is. But here's my take:
I don't think Dorothy fake her amnesia, but she remember all of her memories in the end. There are two possible points of moment when she remember. The first point is when she open her old box which contain Laurent's suit (that has cologne on it), and the second point is at the end, but she's probably remember him from his cologne.
Why I use aroma as an indication for realization? It's the same way Jay get memory back, by smelling either the most favorite or the least favorite scent. In Jay case, it's his least favorite scent (Tofu). In Dorothy case, it's her most favorite scent (Laurent's cologne).
Now, can we get back on Jay's sexiness topic?
Feb 23, 1:45 PM
Jul 2017
Reply to JJJJAnime13
@raff-rafflesia
@JJJJAnime13 at the end of the first season we see how the villains of each arc are laughing along with the main characters as if it were nothing. it's all pretend.
Feb 23, 1:50 PM
Jul 2017
Reply to JaysonNnN
Zccdcccc said:

I wonder

I think a sequel is needed tho
@JaysonNnN there is going to be a sequel beacuse this episodes are called "intermission" instead of "case" like season 1
Feb 23, 1:59 PM
Jan 2024
Reply to twilight10_x
@JJJJAnime13 at the end of the first season we see how the villains of each arc are laughing along with the main characters as if it were nothing. it's all pretend.
@twilight10_x Not really convincing to me.
Feb 23, 2:07 PM
Jan 2024
Reply to twilight10_x
@twilight10_x In the movie, she dreams of OZ, and walks towards someone who looks like OZ but is disappointed that it is not him.

I don’t think that she is faking it.
Feb 23, 2:29 PM
Aug 2020
it was not bad

i was hoping to see the others but they were not far...

the last scene...
otakuweek on insta for News /recom etc

just have a look, you won't regret it...
Feb 23, 3:32 PM
Oct 2020
holy shit noiceee
Feb 23, 4:58 PM

Nov 2018

Ok but fr I thought that was a nice interlude for the series (even if the ending was a bit confusing), but I think with amount of pay-off it gave we're definitely gonna need more.
Personally, I'm still waiting to see:

- Dorothy actually getting her full memory back
- Proper Laurent/Dorothy reunion (wth was that ending???)
- Laurent getting his just-desserts for the psychological abuse he put Edamura through in the first season not me making a whole-ass thread about this cuz it sat with me so hard :")
- Edamura properly out-conning Laurent and actually standing on top of everyone

君の声 

忘れない 

涙も 

忘れない
Feb 24, 12:11 AM
Oct 2020
phantomfandom said:
I don't know why everyone keep discussing on whether Dorothy really fake her amnesia or not instead of how hot Jay's body is. But here's my take:
I don't think Dorothy fake her amnesia, but she remember all of her memories in the end. There are two possible points of moment when she remember. The first point is when she open her old box which contain Laurent's suit (that has cologne on it), and the second point is at the end, but she's probably remember him from his cologne.
Why I use aroma as an indication for realization? It's the same way Jay get memory back, by smelling either the most favorite or the least favorite scent. In Jay case, it's his least favorite scent (Tofu). In Dorothy case, it's her most favorite scent (Laurent's cologne).

I’m with you. It’s also an interesting scientific fact that smell actually has the closest ties with memory.

I’m sure the writers know that and it’s why they used it.
Feb 24, 12:12 AM
Oct 2020
UhOhSPAGET said:

Ok but fr I thought that was a nice interlude for the series (even if the ending was a bit confusing), but I think with amount of pay-off it gave we're definitely gonna need more.

- Laurent getting his just-desserts for the psychological abuse he put Edamura through in the first season not me making a whole-ass thread about this cuz it sat with me so hard :")

This isnt even true? Didnt Edamura drive in the van and pick them up at the end of the movie or am i crazy?
Feb 24, 1:18 AM

Jun 2020
Reply to phantomfandom
@phantomfandom Damn it, it should have been me in that bathroom falling on Jay! Such a nice character design. Got the same hunk vibes from him as from Clark Ibrahim from the show.

"Don't let your memes be dreams."- Ancient Japanese proverb, probably
Feb 24, 6:15 AM

Nov 2018
Reply to Mq84jdk
UhOhSPAGET said:

This isnt even true? Didnt Edamura drive in the van and pick them up at the end of the movie or am i crazy?
A van????? When???? I just checked and everyone got picked up by car at the end but it wasn't Edamura driving....???

君の声 

忘れない 

涙も 

忘れない
Feb 24, 6:34 AM
Jan 2024
Reply to UhOhSPAGET
A van????? When???? I just checked and everyone got picked up by car at the end but it wasn't Edamura driving....???

@UhOhSPAGET

All those guys are Laurent’s hires.
Feb 24, 7:01 AM
Jan 2024
When they go to the Ethiopian restaurant and says “a middle age guy brought Diarra here” who was the middle age guy, I’m lost.
Feb 24, 7:32 AM

Nov 2018
Reply to JJJJAnime13
@UhOhSPAGET

All those guys are Laurent’s hires.
@JJJJAnime13

Well yeah ofc but I'm p sure we're just discussing specifically Makoto's screentime?

君の声 

忘れない 

涙も 

忘れない
Feb 24, 8:05 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
I didn´t like!
Regular story with a "great point"!

3/10 and lucky!

kekeke
Feb 24, 8:48 AM
Jan 2020
como sempre great pretender é um emaranhado de plot twists que de alguma forma me lembram truque de mestre. foi gratificante termos 1 filme com foco na dorothy e consequentemente termos menções e aparições de personagens queridos pelo público para além de caras novas que conseguem também chamar nossa atenção. enfim, MUITO BOM!!!!!!!!!!!
Feb 24, 8:48 AM
Jan 2024
Reply to UhOhSPAGET
@JJJJAnime13

Well yeah ofc but I'm p sure we're just discussing specifically Makoto's screentime?
@UhOhSPAGET
He was in Taiwan right? I think he is just going back home to Japan.
Feb 25, 1:53 AM

Jan 2018
If it wasn't not MAL I wouldn't even know that this came out. Netflix did a shit job again marketing this show. In fact, it may be worse than last time. It sucks cause Great Pretender deserves better.

MAL deserves some insulting too. It's been months but you can't put this movie as Completed. What the fuck is wrong?

Anyway, this was an okay movie I guess. It didn't keep me on edge like the show did.

I knew this movie was mostly going to be about Dorothy and some new characters but I couldn't really care about them that much. I wanted to see Edamame, Cynthia, Abby, and the blonde asshole back. It sucks that Abby and Cynthia didn't even make any visual appearance. I don't think Cynthia even had any voice lines. I just wanted to see the old gang back.

The story of this movie was decent. I was expecting more of a closure with Dorothy and Laurent. But the ending just left me wanting for more. Hopefully, this movie isn't the end and we'll get a proper Season 2 in the same style as Season 1! That'd be amazing.
Feb 25, 4:15 AM
Apr 2021
Well any hopes i had for Sorothy to end up back with Laurent were washed away XD
Feb 25, 6:37 AM

Nov 2016
Well, after 4 years seeing Edamura face again is kinda refreshing. Can't say the same about the movie, and i think it's about the format that compressed all that Great Pretender was good at, creating a great plot with an incredible twist at the very end and what a end dammit!

Yeah, it was a good movie. Let's just say it at the end. The sceneries, the colors and soundtrack, characters, yeah. I'm just a bit conflicted :')

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"I’m feeling sentimental
Without you, my room is empty
I’m feeling sentimental
Feels like yesterday you were laying
Only a few centimeters away from me"
Feb 25, 9:42 AM
Jan 2024
Reply to Mq84jdk
phantomfandom said:

I’m with you. It’s also an interesting scientific fact that smell actually has the closest ties with memory.

I’m sure the writers know that and it’s why they used it.
@Mq84jdk
In the scene, where she sees Laurent, you hear a sniffing noise.

Also, there are actually three points where Laurent tries to get Dorothy to remember. The two that @phantomfandom mentioned , and the third one where Dorothy gets shot, the Lady quotes the exact words Lin said to Dorothy before she got shot.
Feb 25, 2:29 PM

Jun 2012
i have the weird feeling it tried to be too "american" somehow, i'm not sure how to explain it and even if it has been a while since i saw the first season i don't remember the series pushing the vibe this hard and some scenes did in fact happen in the US if I remember correctly lol

ah well, it was entertaining

glad to see our old MC back tho

- I only draw freestyle! -
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Great Pretender: Razbliuto Episode 2 Discussion

Worvrammu - May 7

2 by JJJJAnime13 »»
May 17, 3:47 PM

Poll: » Great Pretender: Razbliuto Episode 4 Discussion

Worvrammu - May 11

0 by Worvrammu »»
May 11, 5:08 PM

Poll: » Great Pretender: Razbliuto Episode 3 Discussion

Worvrammu - May 10

0 by Worvrammu »»
May 10, 3:56 PM

» Still can't set this as "Completed"

0451 - Mar 16

15 by Rexnihilo »»
Mar 24, 1:48 PM

» Was Laurent & Dorothy based off Fujiko & Lupin?

JJJJAnime13 - Mar 18

1 by deg »»
Mar 18, 9:36 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.