Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 22, 2023 4:26 AM

Mar 2015
man, they really rushed the last volume. sad to see WSM axed this series just for some stupid anniv. at least it ties the series nicely. still one of best sports series i read. 10/10
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
May 22, 2023 11:30 AM

Jan 2018
It's been 6 years since the manga ended and we can finally read the whole series in English. It still pains me that they axed this excellent manga. The anime was a fun watch. Wish it had more seasons too. Great balance of sports and romance. It's really one of the best sports manga. 
May 28, 2023 1:47 PM

Apr 2021
Wtf that really was the end?!
May 31, 2023 7:38 AM

Feb 2012
Eh!? End? 
I though we still have like 10 more chapter 😭😭😭 oh nooo.... 
i wish and dream for the Future where everyone i care can Smile happily from their heart. But no matter where i look. how ever i see... there s no me. im not there. Just like that.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Sep 17, 2023 2:43 AM

May 2020
It's not rare for a manga to be cancelled but I feel like they could've at least waited for a few more chapters to let it finish. I mean they let it go for 400+ chapters but 5 more is too much ?

Nevertheless, I kind of get why publishers wanted this to end. I usually curse publishers who shut down manga that haven't reached their full potential yet but this is one of the those cases where the manga clearly needed to end. To be clear, I don't mean that in a bad way. I genuinely enjoyed this manga and I think it's definitely amazing but it's pretty clear to me that the author could've gone on forever, charting Maruo's journey through his professional career, moving on from one event to the next. In that sense, I'm kind of glad the publishers decided to end it but they definitely could've done it better. Maybe showing him getting far in the ATP 250 and then ending it with him being welcomed into Team Japan would've been the perfect ending for this.

Leaving aside the ending, overall I'd say this manga resembles its protagonist in that its not really exceptional in any one thing but just remarkably consistent overall. Characterization, story and art were all things that I feel like the manga did well, even if it wasn't particularly memorable. I also enjoyed Maruo's journey throughout the manga. He wasn't unrealistically good and had more than his fair share of pitfalls and loses, making it genuinely engaging to watch him. It's definitely amazing how the author managed to create genuine tension by making us realise that the hero definitely wouldn't win all the time. I also like that his rivals and opponents grew alongside him, although they did get forgotten towards the end.

All in all, a solid sports manga that I enjoyed thoroughly.
Oct 13, 2023 3:32 PM

Oct 2017
Hadn't checked the translation progress for this since the year started I think but good to see it finally got fully translated.

Watched the anime back in 2017 iirc, when the manga was still publishing and it then got axed soon after. Was really sad when it happened but still wanted to read it till the end. Took them 6 years but they finally did it, now it's fully translated. Gonna finish this soon but will rewatch the anime and reread the manga before that.
Nov 18, 2023 7:46 PM

Dec 2014
Well I guess the ending somewhat fits because he wasn't taking any baby steps anymore
Feb 6, 11:23 AM
Jul 2019
Babysteps was great, just finished it today. Could totally go for another 300 Chapters in Baby Steps Shippuuden.
May 28, 3:06 PM

Mar 2014
gg Maruo, so happy to have seen your journey... I really wish this had gone on further in his career :(

More topics from this board

Poll: » Baby Steps Chapter 454 Discussion

Sekaiou - May 28

0 by Sekaiou »»
May 28, 3:03 PM

Poll: » Baby Steps Chapter 447 Discussion

Sekaiou - May 28

0 by Sekaiou »»
May 28, 2:46 PM

Poll: » Baby Steps Chapter 409 Discussion

Kuma - Mar 8, 2021

1 by Sekaiou »»
May 27, 9:41 PM

Poll: » Baby Steps Chapter 392 Discussion

Kuma - Aug 17, 2020

1 by Sekaiou »»
May 27, 9:09 PM

Poll: » Baby Steps Chapter 385 Discussion

Kuma - Jun 16, 2020

1 by Sekaiou »»
May 25, 9:18 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.