Forum Settings
Forums
New
Dec 11, 2018 4:42 AM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
I mean I know this is kinda pointless but, this is a classic manga and all, so enough people have already read and finished it, it is not like those obscure manga that came to public with its adaptation and suddently the translation for them picks up.

Recall the score for the manga sitting around 8.27 a few months ago, but now it is suddently up to 8.55, really?
Just from a few new people reading this, the score raised so much?!
Dec 11, 2018 5:38 AM

Jun 2017
Yes, welcome to MAL.

Komi-san's manga raised .25 just because of lots of memes... and before the memes it wasn't unpopular either
Dec 11, 2018 7:20 AM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
mhkr said:
Yes, welcome to MAL.

Komi-san's manga raised .25 just because of lots of memes... and before the memes it wasn't unpopular either

I mean ratings dont mean much, but this one really seemed to be fixed on those values for a long time, so suddently this change, one wonders if there were no bot accounts involved...

https://myanimelist.net/manga/99007/Komi-san_wa_Comyushou_desu
First time hearing about this one.

Also, nice avatar, pretty hyped to start reading that series soon, before anime airs.
Dec 11, 2018 7:32 AM

Feb 2013
There are only 2k users who rated it and manga usually gets high ratings, nothing weird if you ask me especially now when an anime is airing.
Dec 11, 2018 8:42 AM

Aug 2018
It might be a classic manga, but very very few people outside of Japan had read or even heard of it before the anime adaptation was announced (so it was definitely obscure).

I don't remember the exact number of people who had completed the manga before the anime began airing, but I'm fairly certain it was around 1K or less. Compare those numbers to what they are now and what has happened is not particularly out of the ordinary.
Dec 11, 2018 9:06 AM

Oct 2015
I think it's safe to say that those who read it before the release of the anime adaptation were generally more seasoned and experienced fans who are usually more critical whereas the "casuals", for lack of a better term are usually more generous with their ratings. Anime adaptation made many of the latter be exposed to the manga. Combine that with manga scores being easily altered due to there being fewer raters it seems perfectly natural to me. March Comes in Like a Lion had a similar treatment.
Auron_Dec 11, 2018 9:11 AM
Dec 11, 2018 10:13 AM

Jun 2017
Playcool said:

I mean ratings dont mean much, but this one really seemed to be fixed on those values for a long time, so suddently this change, one wonders if there were no bot accounts involved...

Have no idea, maybe really someone made bot accounts but there's a little possibility I think...
Also, nice avatar, pretty hyped to start reading that series soon, before anime airs.

Thanks, off-topic but it's the best romcom I read

Lunallae said:
I'm fairly certain it was around 1K or less. Compare those numbers to what they are now and what has happened is not particularly out of the ordinary.

Unfortunately the last archive for the main Banana Fish manga's page was from 2016 and in that time the total users who rated it were around 800 but there's a high chance that total users don't surpass from 1.4k when you compare it to past (for example 2012 were only 500 users)
Dec 11, 2018 11:17 AM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
Orhunaa said:
I think it's safe to say that those who read it before the release of the anime adaptation were generally more seasoned and experienced fans who are usually more critical whereas the "casuals", for lack of a better term are usually more generous with their ratings. Anime adaptation made many of the latter be exposed to the manga. Combine that with manga scores being easily altered due to there being fewer raters it seems perfectly natural to me. March Comes in Like a Lion had a similar treatment.

I m under the impression it is the reverse, since manga isnt as popular as anime, usually only those that are more adept to like that kind of manga, are the ones that read it first.

Let me give you an example, talk about yuri manga, like Citrus, I love yuri, so I easily found it, someone that has almost zero connections with yuri would probably never get into it, and to this day it is still a wonder how popular Citrus animation got.
And what that popularity got to Citrus? More people that were not as confortable with the genre and yuri romance watched it, as such there were alot of people unconfortable with yuri that took Citrus as their first yuri anime, with mixed results overall.
I think the logic I did for the manga and even the anime can apply, it is those that are usually more drawn to the sipnosis/like the genre, that usually give it a first go, so I would usually think that overtime the rating for the manga would drop, since most people that where most interested had already gave it a try, which left those less interested to give it a try, and so on, I would think that over time the ranking would have done anything but gone up.

mhkr said:
Playcool said:

Unfortunately the last archive for the main Banana Fish manga's page was from 2016 and in that time the total users who rated it were around 800 but there's a high chance that total users don't surpass from 1.4k when you compare it to past (for example 2012 were only 500 users)

(probably broke some quote formation there...)

Thank god the cover for the manga changed, that one is anything but good, I was shocked that the anime had some strong yaoi vibes here and there, and I m not confortable around those, so the lesser of that, the better.
Dec 11, 2018 1:51 PM

Jun 2015
(scored by 2212 users)

How many might have checked it because of the anime? 500? Maybe more. That's more than enough to change the score.
Dec 12, 2018 9:51 PM
Aug 2011
I read this 2 years before the anime aired and gave it a 10 but we were few in numbers so the score kind of always stayed around the same mark.
Anime really do help advertise source material... go figure huh.
Jan 6, 2019 2:02 PM
Apr 2017
You gonna cry or what?
Jan 6, 2019 5:19 PM

Dec 2017
its garbage and shouldn't deserve over a 1
Yeah right there is no way a doujin about vomit exists.
Good song https://soundcloud.com/yeungkakit33/op4-hekireki-last-alliance
Tsumino account is BigMaraIppo
Another Good Song Listen to テスト by mukami #np on #SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.com/mukami/77a
Ashita no Joe and Megalo box are disappointing anime.
My reviews:https://myanimelist.net/profile/Botan-Chan45/reviews
Best Naruto Op: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByCNZxOBVWM&list=RDByCNZxOBVWM&index=1
discord name: Chitoge Kirisaki#9564
https://discord.gg/nGKu6zx my discord server for plebs
Jan 6, 2019 8:00 PM

Oct 2013
Playcool said:
I mean I know this is kinda pointless but, this is a classic manga and all, so enough people have already read and finished it, it is not like those obscure manga that came to public with its adaptation and suddently the translation for them picks up.

Recall the score for the manga sitting around 8.27 a few months ago, but now it is suddently up to 8.55, really?
Just from a few new people reading this, the score raised so much?!

This may be related but I think something is wrong with mal score maybe some type of glitch.

One punch man suddenly drop to 8.71, snk suddenly jump from 8.48 to 8.60 out of the blue only to drop dramatically from 8.60 to now currently 8.36. I have no idea what is going on.

Edit, snk score is back to normal. But opm is still not.
keragammingJan 6, 2019 8:06 PM

More topics from this board

» Akimi Yoshida fanmail?

NYC1985 - Jan 22, 2020

1 by CupcakeNRG »»
Jun 13, 4:40 AM

» To be a yaoi, or not to be--that is the question.

Jasonbear - Mar 18, 2010

17 by aedeann »»
Feb 24, 3:31 PM

Poll: » Banana Fish Chapter 110 Discussion

Pirating_Ninja - Jul 17, 2013

22 by Old_School_Akira »»
Aug 12, 2022 7:30 PM

» 110 chapters?

DDcreature - Sep 2, 2019

1 by Iddea »»
Sep 18, 2019 10:30 PM

» Dawn

removed-user - Mar 4, 2019

1 by rogueslayer »»
Mar 9, 2019 4:19 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.