Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 18, 2010 4:57 PM

May 2008
It kind of pisses me off that people keep referring to Banana Fish as a yaoi, or at least that it has a yaoi undertone. Now i'm not saying that yaoi is a bad genre, actually i'm a huge fan, but in this particular case I don't think "yaoi" is a suitable label for this amazing story.

I suppose logically, or realistically, I can see why people would say the relationship between Ash and Eiji was a beautiful homosexual relationship, but in my idealistic little head, i'd like to think that it's possible to have such a beautiful connection with someone and still just be friends with them. I believe that it's possible to have such a deep connection and still be friends. I guess...all i'm trying to say is that i'm irritated by the fact that people don't seem to consider the possibility of have a non-romantic connection with someone, that very well may be as deep as the one with your soul mate, but still doesn't necessarily indicate romantic relations.

:(
JasonbearApr 24, 2010 12:49 AM
"I've read so much manga that at times my mind works in comic panels and dramatically expressed chibis. I'm both ashamed and amused by this."

Apr 23, 2010 11:12 PM

Mar 2009
Man, someone at JustManga gave it a low score for not being yaoi enough. What a prick, if you go into this wanting Ash and Eiji to make out every 5 seconds and you ignore the well crafted story and subtle relationships, you don't deserve to read good manga! And no, they don't make out any more in the artbook either :P

Yeah, I certainly agree, yaoi is by no means an appropriate genre title for this work. Y'know when Sing tells Akira "They loved each other very much. But that's not to say their relationship was sexual, because it wasn't"? I like how he described Ash and Eiji's relationship, it was real, it was beautiful, no, they didn't have sex and they won't, so if you can't accept that, then shoo!

Ironically enough, I've seen some super conservative people say it's too yaoi for that kiss in volume 3. So, wtf? It's infuriating super yaoi fans by not being yaoi and it's offending anti-gay marriage rights for being too yaoi? Can't win sometimes.
Apr 26, 2010 11:09 AM

Aug 2008
Yaoi means there's sex going on and they didn't read it if they're saying that with Ash and Eiji. The manga itself is pretty innocent. The artbook turns it up a notch. There's some suggestive poses in there that I wouldn't do with a friend that I felt absolutely no physical attraction to while supposedly sharing some deeper emotional connection. Basically, there's a tiny bit of fanservice. Still, not yaoi.. it is maddening.
Sep 23, 2010 10:59 PM
Dec 2009
I agree that Banana Fish couldn't be called a yaoi manga. It definitely isn't. But I do think that it has certain undertones. Not yaoi as such, more shounen-ai I guess is how I would put it. But it's just that, an undertone that runs throughout the story and nothing really happens.
I like how Sing describes their relationship in that short chapter at the end. I think he describes it very well.
Either way, it's a great series and anyone who doesn't read it for any of the reasons people have mentioned, then they're the ones missing out.
May 6, 2015 12:31 AM

Jul 2011
It's romantic friendship or maybe platonic love. Y'know, intimacy that was much more prominent before modern culture... anyway, I know the BL genre. I know undertone. That's not the case here. Sure it's more intimate than even brother-like relationships you see in male sports series sometimes, but it's because Ash and Eiji have an emotional and spiritual bond. They've been through a lot supporting each other. There is absolutely nothing sexual about it.

MirorinJun 11, 2015 9:19 PM
May 31, 2015 7:12 PM

Oct 2011
I don't know why there can't be a homosexual relationship in a non-yaoi manga without it having to be labeled as such. Relationships also don't need to be physical to be romantic either. I feel like Ash and Eiji didn't necessarily have time to be like your average couple among all the hectic stuff that was happening around them too.

I think its also possible Ash wouldn't want a sexual relationship initially considering sex to him was usually something that was negative. He could have not wanted something like that with Eiji.

Obviously I like to think that they had a relationship that would've turned into something more though. Especially since Eiji never seemed to move past it for the rest of his life.

Of course them not having a romantic relationship is completely valid. I guess I'm just a fujoshit at the end of the day. But I definitely didn't have a problem with the lack of "BL" since this manga was not going for that in the first place. Its one of the hardest hitting manga I've ever read and I always highly recommend it.
May 20, 2018 4:48 AM
May 2018
Wait I didn't read the manga
zawa113 said:
Ironically enough, I've seen some super conservative people say it's too yaoi for that kiss in volume 3. So, wtf? It's infuriating super yaoi fans by not being yaoi and it's offending anti-gay marriage rights for being too yaoi? Can't win sometimes.
but they kissed ? Why?

Yaoi means sex between two men shounen ai is just the same without the sex so if the two men kissed and they never show/have sex it's called shounen ai/boys love

You can't say platonic when they kiss do you all kiss your platonic friends or what?

What's wrong with labeling it bl or shounen ai it's gonna be like no.6 it wasn't yaoi but it was bl/shounen ai and them being together wasnt the main story which why I love it
May 20, 2018 6:19 AM

Jul 2015
So it's shounen ai

Ok ... i'll avoid the coming adaptation
May 20, 2018 6:25 AM

Apr 2016
tragedydesu said:
So it's shounen ai

Man i mean, the hints are like everywhere so you know.
May 20, 2018 6:35 AM

Jul 2015
Swagernator said:
tragedydesu said:
So it's shounen ai

Man i mean, the hints are like everywhere so you know.

Yeah it was obvious

I don't understand why there is no shounen ai tag to that kind of series (I'm looking at you yuri on ice)
Jun 22, 2020 12:40 PM

Nov 2013
Well, it does have yaoi undertones, that's for sure. But it's not like that makes the "well crafted story" bad - it was never good in the first place.
You all need to watch Nami.

Aug 4, 2020 11:09 PM
Dec 2014
As a fujishi, I think that Banana Fish could be a yaoi/ shounen ai manga. It has the same development than a yaoi manga.
The couple has a lot of problems to be together because one of them (Ash) doesn't feel good enough to be with his love interest or he wants to give him (Eiji) the chance to have a normal life, even though, the other part (Eiji) will fight to be together with him.
On the other hand, they can't be together because people: circumstances keep separating them, so they fight to see each other again.
Oct 8, 2020 11:46 AM

Aug 2020
shoujo1196 said:
As a fujishi, I think that Banana Fish could be a yaoi/ shounen ai manga. It has the same development than a yaoi manga.
The couple has a lot of problems to be together because one of them (Ash) doesn't feel good enough to be with his love interest or he wants to give him (Eiji) the chance to have a normal life, even though, the other part (Eiji) will fight to be together with him.
On the other hand, they can't be together because people: circumstances keep separating them, so they fight to see each other again.

banana fish was never meant to be a shounen ai and definitely not a yaoi. it is implied that ash and eiji have feelings for each other, but its not the main focus of the anime and so it’s not labeled as a shounen ai. Also, to imply that banana fish is a yaoi is pretty disrespectful considering yaoi is sexual and ash has gone through years of sexual abuse. and jsyk, being a fujoshi is not a good thing.
Nov 22, 2020 10:42 PM
Apr 2020
I would definitely not label this manga (haven't read it, but I have seen the anime) shounen-ai or yaoi. In the anime Ash and Eiji repeatedly refer to each other as friends and it's obvious they love and care about each other very much. This doesn't mean their relationship is sexual however (or that they want it to be). I think it's funny how quickly people label something as yaoi because two male characters share a kiss (which was for a purpose and was not out of romance).
Dec 25, 2020 2:23 AM
Dec 2020
I dont think so
But it is will be really pretty if BF was yaoi
Feb 27, 2021 6:48 AM

Jul 2019
It's definitely gay but not yaoi
Jan 18, 2023 1:34 PM
Jan 2021
lmao totally agree
Feb 24, 3:31 PM

Dec 2015
Golly oh gosh... guess I should add my two cents to keep the thread going, since ppl still decide to 'contribute' every half decade or so!

What a mess, what a mess... Though I guess it's interesting enough that the originating post is nearing 15yo now. It's a teenager, it just started high school! Though I'm not even sure how much social attitudes have changed, if at all. We've got most folks here implying that both yaoi and fujoshi are negative descriptors and dirty words, and I guess the more exasperated I feel trying to sell my friends on BF having opened with the announcement that boys kiss in it, the more I understand.

Couldn't be me, though. Maybe I'm too old, but homosexual (in actuality & more or less explicitly coded) relationships never read any different to me than every straight romance subplot in otherwise themed fiction ever. You know, the way FMA is not a romance animanga despite a boy & a girl making tsundere moon eyes at each other by the end of it. What most ppl wanna know when they ask if X is yaoi? is whether it contains those icky boy feels! Gotta credit Sailor Moon and Xena: Warrior Princess for being there in my formative years and saving me from displaying thinly veiled homophobia later in life. It's only ever female authors that face this sort of scrutiny too and honestly it's plenty transparent what's going on here :)

Even still, I give every latest navel-gazing shounen the fairest of chances to woo me, despite men mangakas proving to be shit writers incapable of carrying a story to a satisfying conclusion over & over again :o) Giving stories a fair shake & not automatically discrediting/dropping them because most representatives of the genre have burnt you more times than you could count. A wild concept, I know! facepalm

P.S. The reason most ppl like to think there would be a fully romantic/sexual connection between Ash & Eiji (if given enough time to grow) is because there is nothing subversive about male friendships. And honestly, the same applies to the concept of platonic soulmates. Mmm, yes, friendship on steroids, much unusual, very not happen (picture my eyes rolling to the very back of my head).

tl;dr stop worrying about labels, watch a show/read a story because people whose tastes you trust told you it's good! For ppl who gives stories a wide berth purely because boys might kiss in them... well, clearly nature genetically selected for a lack of discerning taste in those individuals. Oh drat! Sounds like their loss :o)
aedeannAug 12, 6:58 PM

いる。

る。

🐆 🕊️

More topics from this board

» Akimi Yoshida fanmail?

NYC1985 - Jan 22, 2020

1 by CupcakeNRG »»
Jun 13, 4:40 AM

Poll: » Banana Fish Chapter 110 Discussion

Pirating_Ninja - Jul 17, 2013

22 by Old_School_Akira »»
Aug 12, 2022 7:30 PM

» 110 chapters?

DDcreature - Sep 2, 2019

1 by Iddea »»
Sep 18, 2019 10:30 PM

» Dawn

removed-user - Mar 4, 2019

1 by rogueslayer »»
Mar 9, 2019 4:19 AM

» Damm, what happen to the score of this manga?

Playcool - Dec 11, 2018

12 by keragamming »»
Jan 6, 2019 8:00 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.