Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 3, 2016 11:45 AM

Jan 2014
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
Looking Back On Showa:

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times…

It's hard to fathom just how much Japan changed over the Shouwa era, even to Mizuki who lived through it all. To a foreigner it's astonishing, since few other countries have seen such extremes of destruction and material prosperity over a mere 60 years. And to Heisei Japanese, according to Mizuki, the real memories of his generation seem distant and even unreal.

Shouwa is as immutably gone as the samurai—that was a very interesting choice of imagery—but there is much to learn from it.
Jun 5, 2021 8:44 AM

May 2020
It was very interesting to see World War II (or as Japan calls it, the Pacific War) from Japan's perspective. The rise of authoritarianism and the military is terrifying as always and its sad to see that we haven't grown out of these tendencies, even a 100 years later.

This was a decent if tough read for me. I found it to be enjoyable for the most part, as it gives me a nice overview of one of Japan's most crucial periods. I didn't really care for the autobiographical elements of this story. Mizuki's story is interesting but the way its written leaves much to be desired for me. Or maybe its because I like history a lot and I just didn't care for the shift away from Japan's history into Mizuki's history (even if the whole point of the manga is that they are very closely intertwined). 6/10.
May 19, 2022 12:41 PM

Aug 2017
What a great memoir. It's sad that Mizuki didn't live to witness the end of Heisei - he could've as well written another history.

TitanInsane said:
I didn't really care for the autobiographical elements of this story. Mizuki's story is interesting but the way its written leaves much to be desired for me. Or maybe its because I like history a lot and I just didn't care for the shift away from Japan's history into Mizuki's history (even if the whole point of the manga is that they are very closely intertwined). 6/10.

Interesting perspective. Mizuki's life was certainly more "exciting" for me to read (plus it gives some details about the postwar manga scene, which is great). His sense of humor is great IMO. I wonder if you've read his other (semi)autobiographical stuff like Nonnonba or Onward toward our noble deaths.
May 20, 2022 7:53 PM

May 2020
St0rmblade said:
What a great memoir. It's sad that Mizuki didn't live to witness the end of Heisei - he could've as well written another history.

TitanInsane said:
I didn't really care for the autobiographical elements of this story. Mizuki's story is interesting but the way its written leaves much to be desired for me. Or maybe its because I like history a lot and I just didn't care for the shift away from Japan's history into Mizuki's history (even if the whole point of the manga is that they are very closely intertwined). 6/10.

Interesting perspective. Mizuki's life was certainly more "exciting" for me to read (plus it gives some details about the postwar manga scene, which is great). His sense of humor is great IMO. I wonder if you've read his other (semi)autobiographical stuff like Nonnonba or Onward toward our noble deaths.

No, I haven’t. Maybe I will one day in the future. I think this was a good manga but it didn’t really grab me, for whatever reason. Maybe I’ll check out some of his other manga, to see if they’re better.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Comic Showa-shi Chapter 119 Discussion

Miporin - Jan 1, 2016

0 by Miporin »»
Jan 1, 2016 2:29 PM

Poll: » Comic Showa-shi Chapter 118 Discussion

Phaetons_Folly - Nov 19, 2015

1 by Miporin »»
Jan 1, 2016 2:22 PM

Poll: » Comic Showa-shi Chapter 115 Discussion

1 by Miporin »»
Jan 1, 2016 2:08 PM

Poll: » Comic Showa-shi Chapter 113 Discussion

1 by Miporin »»
Jan 1, 2016 11:25 AM

Poll: » Comic Showa-shi Chapter 117 Discussion

0 by Phaetons_Folly »»
Nov 19, 2015 10:35 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.