Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 18, 2014 9:44 AM

Jun 2010
I was watching this movie after having watched the anime (a long time ago) and then I began thinking about this: why did Homura make that specific wish? I'm sure she wanted to redo her meeting with Madoka so that she could save her from becoming a Mahou Shoujo, so why didn't she wish to save Madoka instead? or for Madoka never to become a Mahou Shoujo? Weren't those wishes allowed... or did Homura have a reason for wishing to redo her meeting with Madoka... maybe to become more powerful so that she could save Madoka in a... cooler way? No, that must not be it...

Topic EditedRemoved spoiler from title.
Suzune-chanApr 18, 2014 7:45 PM
Apr 18, 2014 9:50 AM

Nov 2013
Change the title it's a spoiler.

She didn't wish that in order to save her from becoming a mahou shoujo, she only wanted to meet her. At that point she didn't know that being a mahou shoujo is a horrible thing.
Apr 18, 2014 9:52 AM

Mar 2012
Faylicia said:
I was watching this movie after having watched the anime (a long time ago) and then I began thinking about this: why did Homura make that specific wish? I'm sure she wanted to redo her meeting with Madoka so that she could save her from becoming a Mahou Shoujo, so why didn't she wish to save Madoka instead? or for Madoka never to become a Mahou Shoujo? Weren't those wishes allowed... or did Homura have a reason for wishing to redo her meeting with Madoka... maybe to become more powerful so that she could save Madoka in a... cooler way? No, that must not be it...

Why would she wish for Madoka to never be a magical girl? At this point she had no knowledge on the final fate of magical girls and has no reason not to trust Kyubey.
Also if she used a wish to revive Madoka, that would still mean Mami is dead and half of the city is still destroyed. Also of note Homura is pretty average on the karmic scale being around the same as Sayaka, so her wish can't be that big either.
She prob did use her wish, so that she could be Madoka's hero, but in the end it was prob the best wish she could of made with the knowledge she possessed.
Apr 18, 2014 10:38 AM

Jun 2012
Botato said:
Change the title it's a spoiler.

She didn't wish that in order to save her from becoming a mahou shoujo, she only wanted to meet her. At that point she didn't know that being a mahou shoujo is a horrible thing.

Not just meet her, but to repay her for everything she had done.

Madoka turned out to be a great and shining guardian, a knight of justice, who has always been there, when it counted and protected her. At least Homura viewed it that way and thus felt extremely obliged towards her and wanted to repay her for everything she had done, which seemed to be the result of sheer generosity.

ElPysCongroo said:
Faylicia said:

Why would she wish for Madoka to never be a magical girl? At this point she had no knowledge on the final fate of magical girls and has no reason not to trust Kyubey.
Also if she used a wish to revive Madoka, that would still mean Mami is dead and half of the city is still destroyed. Also of note Homura is pretty average on the karmic scale being around the same as Sayaka, so her wish can't be that big either.
She prob did use her wish, so that she could be Madoka's hero, but in the end it was prob the best wish she could of made with the knowledge she possessed.

Homuras wish was completely centered around Madoka and has nothing to do with the other magical girls, the city or whatever, kinda selfish actually and I am pretty sure, she didn't worry about the karmic scale and to be honest, her karmic scale has nothing to do with it and was actually never mentioned.
But I agree on everything else.

I also guess Homura would even form the contract, if she knew that she would turn into a witch at some time.
ChepriApr 18, 2014 10:50 AM
All hail the Nutcracker Queen!
Apr 21, 2014 1:56 PM

Jun 2009
Agreed with above, Homura was driven by guilt and grief at Madoka's sacrifice and her own weakness. She idolized the Magical Girl Madoka and her wish was shaped by that.

In addition to the well thought out suggestions above...

Her wish may not have been the perfect way to get what she wanted but it was one reasonable option. And her decision was made fairly rashly and emotionally driven, so it is not unrealistic that a better wish could have existed which she did not think of in that moment.
May 1, 2014 7:40 PM

Feb 2009
To continue the train of thought, one of the motifs was that one should think carefully about wishes, goals and decisions (which is all the same, but with different nuances). None of them girls came up with a smart wish worth their souls and the trouble they will stir up after they turned. Up until timeline 5 Madoka, that is. Or is it not?
NacromaJul 12, 2015 11:11 AM
May 2, 2014 4:10 AM

Jun 2012
Nacroma said:
To continue the train of thought, one of the motifs was that one should think carefully about wishes, goals and decisions (which is all the same, but with different naunces). None of them girls came up with a smart wish worth their souls and the trouble they will stir up after they turned. Up until timeline 5 Madoka, that is. Or is it not?

I am not so sure, if a wish, that gives the universe a BSOD, is actually a smart one.
About the other wishes: In Wake UP Girls! there is the continuous fight between, own happiness, the happiness of the people dear to one and the happiness of many people, people all around the world. I guess it depends now, which wish you are calling smart. Every magical girl had a motive for her wish and a reason why they worded it like they did.
ChepriMay 3, 2014 10:46 PM
All hail the Nutcracker Queen!
May 3, 2014 7:43 PM

Feb 2009
Chepri said:

I am not so sure, if a wish, that gives the universe a BSOD, is actually a smart one.
About the other wishes: In Wake UP Girls! there is the continuous fight between, own happiness, the happiness of the people dear to me and the happiness of many people, people all around the world. I guess it depends now, which wish you are calling smart. Every magical girl had to motive for her wish and why they worded it like they did.

Madokas final wish caused a BSOD? I thought it more like a reboot, like from ressource hungry Windows Vista to the more comfortable Windows 7. Also, since I got the feeling that neither of the other girls actually thought much about the exact wording, I would put Madoka in a comparatively smart position (she is still a teenage girl, so she probably wouldn't reach Steven Hawking level). Sayaka's and Kyoko's wishes backfired heavily, Mami's was more an act of survival and Homura also did the wish on a whim, causing Madoka to be an unwanted center of karmic power, therefore a point of interest of Kyubey (which probably wasn't Homura's intention), but also gave her a chance to find a better ending, so it was ambiguous at best. So that was the kind of smartness I was referring to. Of course, given the fact that the price for the wish was quite high, personal happiness shouldn't be perceived as negative or stupid.
Sep 13, 2014 5:54 PM

Jun 2010
ooooops!! I didn't get any e-mail notifications of these replies.
^-^'''''''''' I'm so silly...
Anyway, thank you very much for your answers. I hadn't noticed Homura didn't know about the magical girl's fate in the first timeline. Again, I'm so silly ^-^''''

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Movie 2: Eien no Monogatari Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

ariamachi - Mar 17, 2013

97 by AkiFosu »»
Jul 17, 1:06 AM

» Dat poster

Electromistress - Sep 1, 2013

2 by Ddustz »»
Jan 19, 2014 1:12 AM

» Trailer

Stark700 - Sep 14, 2012

4 by YourHusbando »»
Oct 12, 2012 3:58 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.