Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 29, 2013 8:35 PM

Sep 2012
I hear about this game all over the internet (or at least I used to). At first I just thought it was some creepy hentai game, but most people seemed to have that crazy emotional response to it. I'm guessing most of these people are guys from the way they talk about it, but it still seems kinda intriguing, especially the way they talk about it.

I'm a girl, and I'm really on the fence about downloading this game, since it seems like it takes a long time to get through. Have any girls played it and enjoyed it? Is it worth it?

Thanks for your replies (if I get any). Have a nice day :D
Sep 30, 2013 2:43 AM

Oct 2012
I'm no girl and I haven't played Katawa Shoujo, so I can't properly answer your question, but:

I've heard that there is an option to turn off the sexual content. Which should (partly) solve the 'creepy hentai' problem.

As for whether it is worth it. It was by people on 4chan rather than by Japanese which explains part of its popularity in the west. Among the people that read many visual novels it doesn't seem to have a very good reputation.
Sep 30, 2013 2:47 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Laniaka said:
I'm no girl and I haven't played Katawa Shoujo, so I can't properly answer your question, but:

I've heard that there is an option to turn off the sexual content. Which should (partly) solve the 'creepy hentai' problem.

As for whether it is worth it. It was by people on 4chan rather than by Japanese which explains part of its popularity in the west. Among the people that read many visual novels it doesn't seem to have a very good reputation.

Also not a girl but yes as far as I remember you could turn off the H-scenes in the options (not that there was too much of that in the first place but whatever), but also many VNs have all-ages versions available if you want that instead.

Katawa Shoujo is a pretty good game to start with if it's your first VN since it's western-made so to speak, but once you've gotten invested into what's available... no it's very average in comparison, there are 100x better ones out there.

Fortunately, unlike anime/manga, when it comes to VNs pretty much everyone will agree that the best ones out there are in fact the highest rated ones. Picking something from somewhere close to the top generally can't go wrong:

http://vndb.org/v/all?q=;fil=tagspoil-0;o=d;s=rating
Sep 30, 2013 9:22 AM

Sep 2009
Not a girl either. :P

Yes, sexual content in KS can be disabled, but I don't think it's necessary. Those few scenes are a natural part of the romance, and are handled rather tastefully (though one scene is very funny). That aside, it's a perfectly average Visual Novel. All this hype comes from the fact that for a lot of people this was their very first VN. The way this whole medium handles romance, drama and emotional stuff in general is different from what your average anime offers, so a lot of newcomers easily ended up awestruck, even by a mediocre title.
You can go ahead and try it, reading one route shouldn't take that long (less than 10h I think). It's a decent VN for beginners (thanks to it's non-Japanese feel, among other things), just keep in mind that there are much better titles out there.

If you are looking for touching/sad/emotional stories, picking something like Narcissu and Narcissu side 2nd (http://www.neechin.net/narcissu2/140/narcissu-2-download-page) or True Remembrance (http://trueremembrance.insani.org/get.html) may be a better idea. They are both also freeware, but they are much shorter than KS (it's possible to read each of them in one or two sittings). Also, they are arguably(?) better than KS in pretty much every aspect. They don't have any sexual content too (well, Narcissu doesn't even have any romance to speak of).

That aside, you can also consider checking out The Second Reproduction (http://vndb.org/v3319) - it's a very nice otome game (the visual novel equivalent of shoujo/josei genre), and it's also much shorter (and better) than KS. It doesn't have any explicit sexual content, though some stuff certainly happens (off-screen).

More topics from this board

» total games on your steam library ( 1 2 )

deg - Feb 22

57 by KenaiPhoenix »»
7 hours ago

» What are you playing right now? (v2) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Oct 4, 2020

3564 by Nette »»
Today, 1:22 AM

» Any paradox games fans here?

D5rkUnl0ck3r - May 12

10 by Alpha-Nine »»
Yesterday, 4:21 PM

» Favorite gaming cover art?

Nette - Apr 25

14 by Galletita »»
Yesterday, 7:56 AM

» What are your PC specs

ST63LTH - May 5

16 by SnipeStrike »»
Yesterday, 7:41 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.