Forum Settings
Forums

Unique works of art, no ripoff, cliche, too rushed; with some action

New
Aug 20, 2013 2:49 PM

Aug 2013
This summer was my anime debut and right off the bat i seen some great shows like FMA:B, Clannad, and the fate series. But now i can't seem too find an anime that isn't

A: Ripoff
B: Super cliche
C: Good idea but crammed into 14 eps

SO, please list anime that you guys consider to be unique works of art. Stuff that truly master their genres and will keep me on my anime binge. I'm not picky about the genre but I'd at least prefer some action and make sure you only recommend anime that you personally considered to be the best of the best.

Mod Edit: Made title descriptive.
LunaAug 20, 2013 10:05 PM
Aug 20, 2013 2:59 PM

Aug 2013
samishime said:
However, if you're looking for a show like that I'd recommend Serial Experiments Lain, Kaiba, and Texhnolyze (22 eps but one of the best things I've ever seen)

Wow great recommendations, thanks

Mod Edit: Modified quote.
LunaAug 20, 2013 10:03 PM
Aug 20, 2013 4:05 PM

Jul 2012
monster
steins gate
chihayafuru
durarara!!
glass mask (2005)
les miserables: shoujo cosette
kemono no shouja erin
hajime no ippo
code geass
death note
baccano
welcome to the nhk
shinsekai yori
phantom requiem for the phantom
school rumble
beelzebub
soul eater
one outs
Aug 20, 2013 4:07 PM

Apr 2013
Higurashi.
an egomaniac and a fool

Aug 20, 2013 10:05 PM
★★★★★

Sep 2008
Thread moved.
Aug 20, 2013 10:17 PM

Nov 2008
short ones generally aren't going to be as good as longer ones...

but code geass, bakemonogatari, mononoke, aoi no bungaku, psychopass, durarara, one outs, arakawa under the bridge, claymore, darker than black, gantz, danshi koukousei no nichijou, hellsing ultimate (ova, 6 or 8 eps i think)
gintama, monster are longer ones but they're good (if it's too long, you can always stop at ep 13/14 or w.e)
you could also try studio ghibli movies..
Aug 20, 2013 10:51 PM

Dec 2009
Cowboy Bebop
Berserk
Darker Than Black
Aug 21, 2013 1:04 AM

Mar 2011
Berserk - there's a reason why it's my favorite. It's a Master Piece.

Shigurui - there are a lot of Samurai Anime out there, but this one just stands out.

Baccano - Huge cast + the way the story is put together is perfect. A lot of things going on here and there but at the end of the day each of their paths intertwine and you will understand what happened that lead to such events.
Aug 21, 2013 6:50 PM
Jul 2013
Cowboy Bebop is an ABSOLUTE must if you haven't already seen it, its a goosebump inducing work of art. I'll sing its praises till the end of time, not just as an anime but as an series in general.

Serial Experiments Lain is dark confusing and difficult to follow. I love it. It explores a lot of deep moral and technological themes. The art is bizarre and disconcerting and beautiful and the soundtrack is immaculate and fits perfectly.

The Hellsing Ultimate OVA's, I'll admit that this breaks one of your conditions. No cliches. I mean, nazi vampires? C'mon. But Hellsing Ultimate is an example of an inherently cliched story executed perfectly. The art is gorgeous, the sountracks stirring, the action is AMAZING, the characters are outstanding and some are the most most badass I've ever seen. It has Nazi vampire army, could've been love and a badass vampire.

I take it you've seen Death Note and FMA, I personally prefer the original FMA to brotherhood but thats just me.
Aug 21, 2013 6:56 PM

Sep 2012
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
While I don't consider the first season a masterpiece, the second I do. The first has a cliché core plot but diluted in an amazing mystery, while the second is perfect in everything. Both seasons have some awesome action towards the end, and some action in the side stories too.

Shinsekai Yori
There is action only in the first arc (episodes 5-7) and the last (episodes 18-25), but the plot is as original and amazing as possible.

Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica
Iit breaks your condition about length, it has only 12 episodes, but all other conditions are satisfied.

Texhnolyze
A few action scenes here and there, but they're far from being the focus, although the final onslaught is pretty awesome. The plot is a true masterpiece, although it's slow and takes time to understand.
Aug 21, 2013 7:03 PM

May 2013
I know EXACTLY what your looking for here http://kissanime.com/G/10518?l=http%3a%2f%2fkissanime.com%2f
"It's the choice of Steins;Gate,Eru Psi Congroo"
Aug 21, 2013 8:13 PM

Feb 2013
Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica
Le Portrait de Petite Cossette
Gankutsuou (if your eyes can handle the art style...)

... see my list for more.
Aug 21, 2013 9:53 PM

Mar 2012
Death billiards (this is very unique, it's a work of art in a different manner than visually. It is visually stimulating as well however. Very short, but good.)

Ayakashi: Japanese Classic Horror

Mononoke (this is the series not the movie)

Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust (I've always thought that this anime was really unique)

Sweat punch (this is a series of artistic shorts. I really enjoyed them)

These are ones that I liked. They don't have too much action, but are still good. There are ones that are short, and still convey what they want. So, I would suggest you check some of these out.)
lovelydeathAug 21, 2013 10:09 PM
"People die if they get killed" who knew.
Aug 21, 2013 10:01 PM

Jun 2007
Literally everything listed in this thread is not even close to being original or unique.
Aug 21, 2013 10:10 PM

Mar 2012
TallonKarrde23 said:
Literally everything listed in this thread is not even close to being original or unique.

nothing is "original", but I do not see you giving any recs?
Aug 21, 2013 10:12 PM

Jun 2007
lovelydeath said:
TallonKarrde23 said:

If nothing is original he shouldn't be asking for anything original - he is. It's a stupid question and this thread is full of stupid answers.

Why am I not recommending anything? You literally answered this yourself.
Aug 21, 2013 10:15 PM

Mar 2012
TallonKarrde23 said:
lovelydeath said:
TallonKarrde23 said:

If nothing is original he shouldn't be asking for anything original - he is. It's a stupid question and this thread is full of stupid answers.

Why am I not recommending anything? You literally answered this yourself.

Wah. There's series that people are going to feel are more original than others, some may take subtle hints from other anime, while other's are completely rip offs.
Aug 21, 2013 11:37 PM
Oct 2010
lovelydeath said:

Wah. There's series that people are going to feel are more original than others, some may take subtle hints from other anime, while other's are completely rip offs.

You should ignore this guy honestly. He's always like that.
Aug 21, 2013 11:38 PM

Jun 2007
skudoops said:
lovelydeath said:

Always correct? Damn right I am.
Aug 22, 2013 1:09 AM
Oct 2010
TallonKarrde23 said:
skudoops said:
lovelydeath said:

Always correct? Damn right I am.

Ok then.
Aug 22, 2013 5:47 AM

Sep 2012
TallonKarrde23 said:

Yeah, even the stuff you haven't watched or have dropped at the beginning. Brilliant.

More topics from this board

» What's the cruelest manga/anime world out there?

Mahoxe - Dec 1, 2015

10 by Alexioos95 »»
16 minutes ago

» I'm looking for mature, realistic high school romance media

KietaTeenRomance - May 30

5 by jinnnnnnnnnnnnnn »»
17 minutes ago

» Looking for chillin horror anime about ghosts

Shabo-kun - Yesterday

7 by Zarutaku »»
2 hours ago

» Anime where MC’s saving girl/girls

JiroOzaki - May 28

4 by mo_lave »»
6 hours ago

» Any media like Erased ( 1 2 )

Alioli360 - May 25

54 by Alioli360 »»
Today, 1:33 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.