Forum Settings
Forums

Do you generally prefer Anime to video games or vice-versa, and why?

New
Apr 26, 2013 5:49 PM

Dec 2012
I myself can't really choose, because there's a pretty good case for both, but I will say that if I were to choose between anime and newer (post 2000) games, it would be anime without a doubt. There have been some games this decade and the last that were pretty good (Valkyria Chronicles comes to mind, maybe the most underrated game of all time), but despite having all three of the latest consoles, I rarely play modern games. Now, if we're debating whether I prefer anime to '80s and '90s games, it's a different story.

On the anime side of things, there are masterpieces the likes of which cannot be found anywhere else, such as FMA:B, Cowboy Bebop, and Gankutsuou, among countless others. I feel an indescribable joy when that slow guitar and harmonica piece plays as an episode of Bebop is winding down, and some of Brotherhood's more memorable moments can be... moving (Assuming the series' only flaw doesn't rear it's ugly head: Random humor). I wouldn't be the same without anime.

On the video games end, we have such shining examples of game design as Mega Man (Both classic and X), the NES Castlevanias, and Super Metroid. Then there are games, such as Chrono Trigger which, at certain points, can create moments as memorable as any that can be found in anime. There's nothing like getting trashed by Vile in Mega Man X, and then icing him in one shot with the Hadouken later in the game, or beating that Grim Reaper in the original Castlevania.

In all, I love both mediums, and I don't know if I'll ever lose my passion for either. Both have their moments, their highs and their lows, and both mediums have produced more of what I would consider masterpieces than any other form of media (Books have been around for too long, so I don't ever count them when making a statement like that. Of course a 3000 year old medium will have produced the most masterpieces)
"Families is where our nation finds hope, where wings take dream!"

- George W. Bush
Apr 26, 2013 5:57 PM

Jan 2008
I think there is already a thread about this...just saying.

Apr 26, 2013 6:13 PM
Sep 2009
I can go without watching anime for months. Probably couldn't go two weeks without playing a game.
Apr 26, 2013 6:14 PM

Aug 2012
I havn;t seriously played any videogames in over 3 years.. So I guess my answer would be kinda obvious..
sexual incest in nisomonogatari - no one bats an eye
romance incest in SAO - everyone loses their minds
Apr 26, 2013 6:24 PM

Jan 2008
Play anime games. Problem solved.
Apr 26, 2013 6:30 PM

Oct 2012
Since I prefer story anime, but I still love me some Shadow of the Colossus and MGS.

Apr 26, 2013 6:30 PM

Feb 2013
Seriously I prefer anime. Even I play videogames almost everyday. Anime is what got me really stuck now and it makes me happy.
Apr 26, 2013 6:32 PM

Jan 2013
Videogames, because I actually do stuff. I also started on them way before I started on anime.
Sometimes I watch anime braindead so...
Please understand.
Apr 26, 2013 6:32 PM

Feb 2010
Apples and oranges.
Apr 26, 2013 6:33 PM

Dec 2012
Akito_Kinomoto said:
Apples and oranges.

Grapes and bananas.
The forums are dark, and full of ego.
Apr 26, 2013 6:35 PM

Dec 2009
too long of a thread to read.
Why even compare the two? One you watch a show/story, the other you play a story...
Apr 26, 2013 6:36 PM

Feb 2012
Video games mainly because I've been exposed to them longer.

Jovoo said:
Akito_Kinomoto said:
Apples and oranges.

Grapes and bananas.

Watermelons and lettuce.
Apr 26, 2013 6:56 PM

Jan 2008
waalex11 said:
too long of a thread to read.
Why even compare the two? One you watch a show/story, the other you play a story...

Let's say you have a life, and with that life you don't have too much free time for yourself, would you rather spend your free time playing a game, or watching an anime.

I would choose anime.

Apr 26, 2013 6:57 PM

Jun 2008
I mostly prefer anime to be honest.
Games have two big disadvantages for me. They kill time like motherfuckers and the fact that is you who has to do shit is tiring. I mean if i get home tired i rely don't feel like keeping my body in tension by being all crazy fighting bad guys etc. I just want to sit back and watch like a nice simple viewer not feeling like anyone is chasing me.
Apr 26, 2013 7:05 PM

Nov 2012
anime, especially if it's up against modern games (which suck for the most part)
Apr 26, 2013 7:15 PM

Dec 2012
Anime without a doubt because I can watch it on my phone in my bed!
Apr 26, 2013 7:15 PM

Nov 2012
Dangerous thing to say on an anime forum, but I think video games. I can't really choose but looking at how much I play video games versus how much I watch anime, that seems to be the case.
Edit: By video games I mean actual good games, not modern crap.
Apr 26, 2013 7:24 PM

Aug 2009
I like games more. Greater sense of escapism.

Apr 26, 2013 7:26 PM

Jun 2008
Jovoo said:
Grapes and bananas.

This is sexually suggestive sir.... Freudian slip?
Apr 26, 2013 7:29 PM

Aug 2012
VictorVonDoom said:
Video games mainly because I've been exposed to them longer.

Jovoo said:
Akito_Kinomoto said:
Apples and oranges.

Grapes and bananas.
Watermelons and lettuce.
Nipples and tits.

JustALEX said:
This is sexually suggestive sir.... Freudian slip?
One releases breast milk, the other is a bird.
Apr 26, 2013 7:37 PM

Oct 2012
Video games by far. I love anime to death, but most anime lacks originality, and the search for great anime becomes extremely tedious. I honestly get sick of the overexposure of Eastern cultural trends.

Video games are just on a whole nother level imo. Final Fantasy, Zelda, Dark Souls, MGS, Castlevania, Resident Evil, Goldeneye, Fire Emblem, Okami, Devil May Cry, SC II, Pokemon, LBP. These games have changed my life. That may sound pathetic lol, but if not for video games, I would probably die of boredom. They help make work bearable from day to day. Everyone has their own way to relieve stress, and this is mine. I can't easily explain why, but I just can't bring myself to put anime on the same level as video games. I simply find more entertainment in video games.

Apr 26, 2013 7:39 PM

Oct 2012
video games. It makes you more attached than anime since you can PLAY it.
Alone on a Friday night? Remember that DIO did nothing wrong!
Apr 26, 2013 7:44 PM

Jul 2011
Both are ok as entertainment
Apr 26, 2013 8:03 PM

Oct 2012
BTBAM said:
Video games by far. I love anime to death, but most anime lacks originality,

So are you looking forward to the next Shooting stuff in a Very Brown Desert Environment Simulator?

Apr 26, 2013 8:08 PM

Oct 2012
Shrabster said:
BTBAM said:
Video games by far. I love anime to death, but most anime lacks originality,

So are you looking forward to the next Shooting stuff in a Very Brown Desert Environment Simulator?

hehe, true video games have their fair share of clichés, but I feel like I get waaaaay more of it when I watch anime, almost like they're not even trying anymore.

Apr 26, 2013 8:10 PM

Jun 2011
I prefer anime, because I generally suck to gaming. Too much effort. P:
Apr 26, 2013 9:10 PM

Dec 2012
Definitely anime I am not much of a gamer.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Apr 26, 2013 9:11 PM

Sep 2011
games > anime

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Apr 26, 2013 9:38 PM

Oct 2012
I enjoy both equally, though they both have their drawbacks. If it counts for anything, the longest time I went without playing video games was half a year. For anime, it was three years.

More topics from this board

» What's the Most Cringeworthy Anime Dub You've Ever watched?

Gashadokur0 - 1 hour ago

9 by eblf2013 »»
2 minutes ago

» Has a canon ship ever ruined a show for you?

Dragevard - Yesterday

25 by Absurdo_N »»
4 minutes ago

» What are you gonna watch next season?

Pinoffin - 9 hours ago

22 by Pinoffin »»
6 minutes ago

Sticky: » AWC 2024 Anime Watching Challenge - Sign-Up (Open Until December 10th) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

AWC_mod - Jan 1

1018 by Sam565 »»
7 minutes ago

» What is good animation?

LenRea - Yesterday

13 by Nirinbo »»
7 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.