Forum Settings
Forums

Quebec language police target Italian eatery over 'pasta'

New
Feb 21, 2013 4:08 AM

Oct 2012
www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/story/2013/02/20/montreal-language-pasta-translation.html

I totally don't understand some of these French people complaining about this. What's wrong with calling Pizza 'Pizza". or Pasta "Pasta."

Maybe Chow mein , Pho noodles or Sushi has to be changed to the French names too.

I have never heard someone who spoke english complain that a name of a dish does not sound English enough.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Feb 21, 2013 4:37 AM

Oct 2009
that's because Amerika > Canadia > rest of world
Feb 21, 2013 5:07 AM

May 2009
Danielcook said:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/story/2013/02/20/montreal-language-pasta-translation.html

I have never heard someone who spoke english complain that a name of a dish does not sound English enough.

Yes but does that part of the country have a The Office québécois de la langue française (OQLF) English version? Like British Columbia English Language Office (BCELO)?
Feb 21, 2013 6:18 AM

Jul 2011
Quebec takes it's French heritage very seriously. Too seriously obviously, which is all too apparent if you ever happen to visit and do not speak French or speak 'broken' French.
rekindledflameFeb 21, 2013 7:08 AM

Feb 21, 2013 12:18 PM

Nov 2011
I've come across similar occurrences in my long time as a hockey fan. When Saku Koivu (a Finn, and first European born captain in the team's history) was named captain of the Montreal Canadiens, I remember some of the francophones complaining that he wasn't French Canadian and couldn't speak French. It's pretty much just a small percentage of people though, as Koivu was loved in MTL.
Feb 21, 2013 1:03 PM
Sep 2009
Lecas said he wants his menu to retain a certain Italian flavour, but he says authorities told him words such as botiglia, pasta and antipasto should all have a French translation written next to them.

So to be fair, they're actually telling him that all the Italian dishes should have French translations, not to get rid of the original names entirely. I can kind of understand that since some people wouldn't know what the Italian names are, but I can't see pasta being a word that French speakers don't understand.

Aside from the technicalities though, a restaurant owner should be allowed to use whatever language they want, with the understanding that some customers may be put off by it, and the authorities should not be wasting their time with these things.
Feb 21, 2013 1:12 PM

Apr 2012
Because we need to appease the snail eaters so stuff like the FLQ doesn't happen again.
As a child, I was told that society is a melting pot of talents; knowledge and experience combined to form important alloys that will contribute to mankind. When I got to highschool, however, I thought that it's more like a river in which the water represents our peers while we ourselves are the stones in the river. Constant erosion by mindless majority sheeping has made us lose our unique edge. After I hit the age of 18, I realized that I've been wrong all along. Society is no melting pot. Society is no river. Society is a person, a very skilled rapist, and he has fucked us all.
Feb 21, 2013 1:37 PM

Feb 2013
This is what happens when people get bored.
わたしはりんごがすきです. あなた は バカ です :3

Feb 21, 2013 2:07 PM

Nov 2008
Isn't it the law in Quebec to have a French Translation on everything anyway.

Feb 21, 2013 2:11 PM

Jun 2011
Hoppy said:

I dunno, but that seems to be the case with games. Most of the NTSC games I've bought recently have French translations on the box and dual language manuals, despite the game itself being only in English.
Feb 22, 2013 12:19 AM
May 2007
Feb 22, 2013 5:34 AM

May 2009
ParaParaJMo said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJdpXqQbY80

this video says it all

Sounds harsh but I can't help laughing at the whole video especially when that mutt said ""Listen closely, hear that? It's the sound of nobody giving a shit.""
Feb 23, 2013 3:54 PM

Sep 2011
RandomChampion said:
that's because Amerika > Canadia > rest of world

Since when is Canada is number two? Also, there's no 'k' in America.
Come visit my town // I apologize in advance for my second-rate English

Join my fan club // Improve the transport network
Feb 23, 2013 3:56 PM

Mar 2012
Narmy said:
Hoppy said:

I dunno, but that seems to be the case with games. Most of the NTSC games I've bought recently have French translations on the box and dual language manuals, despite the game itself being only in English.
It actually is a law and the French has to be the main text with an English translation below it, half-size.

JennyEsquire said:
there's no 'k' in America.
There is when you're in Germany.
I'm dead. Don't come looking for me.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.