New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Jul 29, 2012 4:58 AM
Mar 2012
incisorr said:
1# > the humor
2# > the girls obviously
3# > the art

i dont like the main character because hes a faggot in 90% of the animes, hopefully they'll learn and start making them good

anyhow, harems are often serious and have some plot, lol at the guy saying they have no story. From 10 harems you'd get 7 with a good plot

next thing you gonna say is that this shit anime "Another" had plot, cuz it didnt

I am decently sure that was directed at me.

Tell me without making yourself look ridiculous what is so great about the plot of these shows:

Omamori Himari, Seitokai no Ichizon
Ichiban Ushiro No Daimaou or Demon King Daimaou
Maji de Watashi ni Koi Shinasai
Ladies versus Butlers!
Akane-iro ni Somaru Saka
Jul 29, 2012 8:11 AM

Jun 2012
I like how they add romance to the series, but never fully develop it, and instead exploit it for comedy and/or character development.

I find it hard to take harem romance seriously, though I don't mind it. It adds extra comedic buffer.

Clannad is, of course, the single exception to this. It took its harem seriously and even made the MC dissolve it. I thought that was rather interesting.
Some parts of this post may be exaggerated.
Jul 29, 2012 8:34 AM

Jun 2010
Rethil said:
I hate it because:
1. Protagonist is always a faggot.
2. There must be a girl that want to comet punch your face.
3. Prudery (if non ecchi)

But I love it because:
1. CUTE GIRLS!!!11one
2. Lovestory.
3. Good humor or drama.

Harems are good if they aren't bad xD

Not always every harem anime have a.. "faggot" protagonist. Take example like Hayate no Gotoku, the protagonist is behaves in opposite way to your statement.

I have no qualms to harem genre nor like it, but I find reverse harem quite interesting although not too much.
Jul 29, 2012 10:33 AM

Mar 2010
Lots of single girls in the end actually.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Jul 29, 2012 10:41 AM

Sep 2010
Karpman said:
There was like a one month time period I liked those kind of anime, but now I think they suck:
- No plot, if it has one it is considered an exception, but it is like finding a needle in a haystack.
- Most of the time we have a weak-willed stupid protagonist.
- The predictable; "Hello is there someone. *walks in* *sees girl naked*" stuff
- The episodes itself, most of the time they include a festival episode, beach episode and so on.
- The comedy (which most of the time is there) includes sexual jokes or slapstick comedy, which most of the time isn't that funny neither.
- Lastly, the one cool supporting character slowly fades away and gets less screen time than the other supporting ones.

Strange, 90% of that is what one would finds rampant in most anime already.
lol@getting your panties in a bunch over sexual jokes in romantic comedies. Tell me, do you complain that there's peanuts in peanut butter?

Jul 29, 2012 10:59 AM
Mar 2012
Anime_Name said:
lol@getting your panties in a bunch over sexual jokes in romantic comedies. Tell me, do you complain that there's peanuts in peanut butter?

And that is what I meant with that I used to like it, but since most of them are the similar I got bored of the genre.

Peanuts in peanut butter, that is so main stream, I want strawberries in them.
Jul 29, 2012 10:16 PM

Sep 2010
Karpman said:
Anime_Name said:

And that is what I meant with that I used to like it, but since most of them are the similar I got bored of the genre.

But I said anime as a whole. Those things you listed aren't unique to the harem genre and are rampant in anime as a media.

Peanuts in peanut butter, that is so main stream, I want strawberries in t

Then the intelligent thing to do would be to find some nice Strawberry jam and not fault peanut butter for being peanut butter.

Jul 29, 2012 10:23 PM
May 2010
mitch3315 said:
The best thing about harems is Sugisaki Ken.

The best thing about harems is Seitokai no Ichizon, tbh..

Ken would be second or third, tbh.
Worships Asparagus.
Aug 13, 2012 9:21 PM
Mar 2008
Reading through many posts here one can conclude:

People like harems that are good, but sometimes dont like to admit that its part of the harem genre.
But if the show isnt good, it has to be a harem and thats what makes it bad.
Aug 13, 2012 9:40 PM

May 2011
mechaisntweeaboo said:
They're terrible and ruin anything an anime has going for it.

This.
Harem are sin and need to be purged. If Harem is in the genres it's automatically shit. Automatically. No questions asked. No ifs, ands, or buts. Just shit.

Except for School Days. Since it's a deconstruction and totally destroys the genre in every way. Which is good. Deconstructions are always good.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Aug 13, 2012 9:42 PM

May 2012
I hate harems raaaahhh
Aug 13, 2012 9:44 PM

Jun 2012
Noob question..

What is Harem?
Aug 13, 2012 10:13 PM

May 2011
juniiflow said:
Noob question..

What is Harem?

Anime with absoloutely no plot or story. It has a bunch of girls googling over one prettyboy for 12 episodes.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Aug 13, 2012 10:54 PM
Trickster

Jun 2011
What I like about harems:
-They're funny
-Show's every heterosexual man's dream
-Not hard or difficult to understand
-They rarely have shitty endings
-Fun to watch

Every anime genre has its ups and downs, harems aren't any different. But there are some things harems require for them to work, like the stupid or oblivious lead. Of course he has to be oblivious to the girls, if he knew any of their feelings he'd choose one and that would be the end. Where's the fun in that?

I really don't understand why some people come in and expect harems to have some type of huge, majorly complex plot in it, that's not what they're really about. But there are some, that actually have fantastic plots. Like Sekirei for example. Sekirei has an incredible plot and is still a harem. It actually has a much better plot than a lot of serious anime being aired today.
Aug 13, 2012 11:49 PM

Sep 2010
Bobbypick said:
juniiflow said:
Noob question..

What is Harem?

Anime with absoloutely no plot or story. It has a bunch of girls googling over one prettyboy for 12 episodes.

Wouldn't the plot of a harem be romance where the lead has to pick one person to be their only romantic interest by the end of the series? Unless the meaning of plot changed, I sure that's the plot the makes a story a harem story.
Anime_NameAug 13, 2012 11:52 PM

Aug 14, 2012 12:43 AM

Jan 2012
full pledge harems are dumb, just be a hentai already!
My Guitar Covers:
Playlist

I CAN ALWAYS SHOW MY EVERYTHING TO YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUU
Aug 14, 2012 2:25 AM

Apr 2010
I generally don't care for harems. For the few I did like, I liked them for their humour (as with any comedy)
Aug 14, 2012 3:13 AM

Nov 2009
I love harems, generally because there is a girl in there for everyone's taste.

Generally you will have:

A Childhood friend
A Tsundere
A Glasses Girl with big boobs
A Prude
A Loli /Imouto type
A Sickly girl

I'm sure there are others but these are the categories I see most often...not that I mind...the girl I like rarely wins though so I can say that's something I don't like about them I suppose. Oh and the parents are "always" working overseas lol, it's rare when you see them =)

Overall though I think they are great, I'm a fan of ecchi comedy generally and harems usually deliver this in spades. Sometimes it's overdone but most of the time it's a nice amount.
Aug 14, 2012 4:51 AM
Jul 2012
Riptos said:
I love harems, generally because there is a girl in there for everyone's taste.

Generally you will have:

A Childhood friend
A Tsundere
A Glasses Girl with big boobs
A Prude
A Loli /Imouto type
A Sickly girl

I'm sure there are others but these are the categories I see most often...not that I mind...the girl I like rarely wins though so I can say that's something I don't like about them I suppose. Oh and the parents are "always" working overseas lol, it's rare when you see them =)

Overall though I think they are great, I'm a fan of ecchi comedy generally and harems usually deliver this in spades. Sometimes it's overdone but most of the time it's a nice amount.

The girl that I always want to win never does, thats what pisses me off about harems
Aug 14, 2012 2:40 PM

Aug 2012
Basically, Harems are you usually funny and i like comedies. I've never heard of a harem that was all serious and actiony (if that's even a word lol :P). My point is that I like comedy, Harems are usually funny. Ergo, I like harems.
How many Dragon Ball Z characters does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
Just one, but it takes ten episodes.
Aug 14, 2012 2:43 PM

Sep 2010
NoobHunterD said:
full pledge harems are dumb, just be a hentai already!

Full on action anime are dumb, just be a guro already!

Aug 14, 2012 2:46 PM

May 2011
More girls means higher chances of a favorite female character.
Aug 16, 2012 7:45 AM
Mar 2008
Bobbypick said:
mechaisntweeaboo said:

This.
Harem are sin and need to be purged. If Harem is in the genres it's automatically shit. Automatically. No questions asked. No ifs, ands, or buts. Just shit.

Yeah Clannad is shit,
Steins;Gate (which you rated 10) is shit,
Bakemonogatari, Nisemonogatari (9) is shit,
Fate/stay is shit,
Haruhi ..., and so on...

Some of them may not be tagged as harem but they have all signs (Harem Anime = main character can have a romantic relationship with 3+ characters) or are already made after an Eroge or Visual Novel.
ThesimplewayAug 16, 2012 7:54 AM
Aug 16, 2012 8:17 AM

Jul 2011
The best parts of a harem show are the moments of jealousy.
Aug 17, 2012 6:14 PM

Aug 2012
The main reason I watch harems because most of them are hilarious.
Aug 17, 2012 6:27 PM

Jul 2010
It is sometimes embarassing to admit, but many of my favorite anime either are harems themselves or contain elements of harem.

I am a heterosexual female, yet harems appeal to me (not talking about reverse harem). I love bishoujo-style art (yeah, didn't say bishounen). The soft-cel shading of visual novel art is so beautiful to me. I love when every girl in the harem has a recognizable hair color. Even better when their actual interactions are entertaining. I've been a big KEY fan for a while now, so maybe that's where this comes from.
I love it when harems add tragic elements to the story. I strongly dislike when the male main character is extremely perverted. I also don't like when the harem just exists simply for fanservice.

While I can't place my finger on exactly one element that attracts me to harems, perhaps there are some things that I enjoy seeing and can often find in a harem. Namely, beautiful girls, atmospheric settings, sweet slice of life, attractive art styles, and that comfortably formulaic plot.
I guess I gravitate more towards the drama-harem variety, rather than those that are for pure comedy only. And I love when there are hints of the supernatural...

I know harems are sappy, corny, and what ever else people review them as. I just have weird 'taste'. My 'taste' doesn't consist of LOGH. I seem to have the taste in anime of a 40 year old, Comiket-going male: visual novel-based harems and magical girls. Go figure.
Valkyrie_WingsAug 17, 2012 7:54 PM
Aug 17, 2012 7:37 PM

Jul 2012
Sasahara said:
Bobbypick said:
mechaisntweeaboo said:

This.

Yeah Clannad is shit,
Fate/stay is shit,
Haruhi ..., and so on...

Some of them may not be tagged as harem but they have all signs (Harem Anime = main character can have a romantic relationship with 3+ characters) or are already made after an Eroge or Visual Novel.

I'm almost positive he was being sarcastic.
Aug 17, 2012 7:53 PM
Aug 2012
I like the quirkyness of the anime.
I like to watch harems after an upsetting anime/serious anime.. it lets me just laugh.

You aren't always so sure.. it's random, that's why some are good. I'm 99% sure people don't watch harems because a guy gets with 3+ girls.. it's because the story is usually funny/has something to it..
(In case you're wondering... the 1% will be the ones who quote and prove me wrong/troll :P!)

But it's a genre.. such like how some people hate crazy fantasy things.. or how some people hate ecchi, or fanservice, or action even. It's all up to opinion.

Do I think Harems are great? No, do I think they're awful? No. They're in-between. I'm talking more of the generic crazy things going on about a guy who has many girls in his love life. Not those anime's with arc's to show.. or if one wasn't a serious relationship.. or a mistake etc.
Aug 17, 2012 8:30 PM

Jul 2012
I prefer not to watch/read any harems. But alas, some can be really good.

noyoureinsane said:
Sasahara said:
Bobbypick said:
mechaisntweeaboo said:

This.

Yeah Clannad is shit,
Fate/stay is shit,
Haruhi ..., and so on...

It IS sarcasm. LOL
Aug 18, 2012 3:55 PM
Mar 2008
meepsheep said:
I prefer not to watch/read any harems. But alas, some can be really good.

noyoureinsane said:
Sasahara said:
Bobbypick said:
mechaisntweeaboo said:

This.

Yeah Clannad is shit,
Fate/stay is shit,
Haruhi ..., and so on...

It IS sarcasm. LOL

Oh lol, ok sorry. *embarrassed*
Aug 18, 2012 4:00 PM
Mar 2012
Zanzie said:
I like the quirkyness of the anime.
I like to watch harems after an upsetting anime/serious anime.. it lets me just laugh.

You aren't always so sure.. it's random, that's why some are good. I'm 99% sure people don't watch harems because a guy gets with 3+ girls.. it's because the story is usually funny/has something to it..
(In case you're wondering... the 1% will be the ones who quote and prove me wrong/troll :P!)

But it's a genre.. such like how some people hate crazy fantasy things.. or how some people hate ecchi, or fanservice, or action even. It's all up to opinion.

Do I think Harems are great? No, do I think they're awful? No. They're in-between. I'm talking more of the generic crazy things going on about a guy who has many girls in his love life. Not those anime's with arc's to show.. or if one wasn't a serious relationship.. or a mistake etc.

How can people quote/argue with you when you opinion-block them?
Aug 18, 2012 4:55 PM

Mar 2012
The boobs. Lol. Well, some of the girls have big ones ;)

But all in seriousness, I like harems sometimes because there's usually girls with different personalities and stuff like that; they're all different so there's gotta be at least one girl you like/
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/SilentSuicide&sclick=1]
Aug 18, 2012 4:58 PM

Mar 2011
Not all harems are horrible. Like someone said above, CLANNAD, Steins;Gate, Monogatari, Kanon, etc. But the mindless ecchi one (OH GOD, WHY?!?!?) make me want to ram my head into a wall.
Aug 18, 2012 5:00 PM
Nov 2010
Harem = multiple girls
multiple girls = higher chance of one of them being tsundere
tsundere = good
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» Do you generate your own Anime Wallpapers with AI?

Dragevard - Yesterday

43 by DesuMaiden »»
7 minutes ago

» I was on YouTube and I saw this craziest anime community post

Kiryotsu - 2 hours ago

9 by AshuAmbrose »»
8 minutes ago

Poll: » what is your stance on "i don't wanna watch that anime, the art style sucks" ? ( 1 2 )

ame - Yesterday

65 by animegamer245 »»
11 minutes ago

» Anime facts you didn't know before

LenRea - May 24

32 by DesuMaiden »»
13 minutes ago

Poll: » Will we ever get a anime cross over as big as the MCU?

Old_School_Akira - Yesterday

35 by animegamer245 »»
14 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.