Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Jul 20, 2021 3:22 PM

Mar 2018
MaxiDennis said:
Damn, reading this forum is making my head explode.

Personally, I don't get why people watch the chronological order. It's like watching Baccano or Pulp Fiction in the "right" order. It just beats the purpose of it. To me, it makes more sense watching the way the original creator wanted to. But preference is preference.

Anyways, for the show itself, I really liked the narration. I hope it stays. And the MC changing seats sitting beside the window? Certified MC. And as for Haruhi's character, I personally dont find her annoying.

And as for the dub goes, I'm really like it—a lot of well-received VAs.

Based on your comments, it seems you're watching the chronological order though. The thing with Haruhi is that both the original broadcast order and the chronological order are completely fine.
Jul 20, 2021 8:28 PM

Aug 2020
SliceOfDrama said:
MaxiDennis said:

Personally, I don't get why people watch the chronological order. It's like watching Baccano or Pulp Fiction in the "right" order. It just beats the purpose of it. To me, it makes more sense watching the way the original creator wanted to. But preference is preference.

Anyways, for the show itself, I really liked the narration. I hope it stays. And the MC changing seats sitting beside the window? Certified MC. And as for Haruhi's character, I personally dont find her annoying.

Based on your comments, it seems you're watching the chronological order though. The thing with Haruhi is that both the original broadcast order and the chronological order are completely fine.

Oh damn. Was there supposed to be episode 0 (don't think it's dubbed)? If so, I'm watching the order on Funimation (dubbed). Oh well, I don't care more. Just going to watch season 1 -> season 2 -> movie.

Well, if I were to watch the broadcast order, what would have episode 1 be about?

Thanks in advanced.

DO NOT Cʟɪᴄᴋ Tʜᴇ Lɪɴᴋ Bᴇʟᴏᴡ:
👉 ʜᴛᴘs://ᴍʏᴀɴɪᴍᴇʟɪsᴛ.ɴᴇᴛ/ᴅᴏ-ɴᴏᴛ-ᴄʟɪᴄᴋ-ᴛʜɪᴤ-ʟɪɴᴋ 👈

Jul 20, 2021 9:02 PM

Mar 2018
MaxiDennis said:

Oh damn. Was there supposed to be episode 0 (don't think it's dubbed)? If so, I'm watching the order on Funimation (dubbed). Oh well, I don't care more. Just going to watch season 1 -> season 2 -> movie.

Well, if I were to watch the broadcast order, what would have episode 1 be about?

Thanks in advanced.

There's no episode 0, Funimation has all the episodes, you'll be fine. However, they separated season 1 and 2 in a weird way. They have all the episodes ordered chronologically so there are episodes of the actual season 2 between episodes of season 1, you'll notice that because the opening is different. So basically, if you see the normal opening, you're watching season 1, if you see the other opening, you're watching season 2. I'm telling you that because Funimation's season 1 ends on basically nothing and that triggers some people when they judge the anime.

As for your other question, episode 1 of the broadcast order is episode 25 on Funimation (The Adventures of Mikuru Asahina Episode 00). You can check this thread if you want, but I suggest you to continue like you are watching right now.
Jul 20, 2021 9:27 PM

Aug 2020
SliceOfDrama said:
MaxiDennis said:

Thanks in advanced.

There's no episode 0, Funimation has all the episodes, you'll be fine. However, they separated season 1 and 2 in a weird way. They have all the episodes ordered chronologically so there are episodes of the actual season 2 between episodes of season 1, you'll notice that because the opening is different. So basically, if you see the normal opening, you're watching season 1, if you see the other opening, you're watching season 2. I'm telling you that because Funimation's season 1 ends on basically nothing and that triggers some people when they judge the anime.

As for your other question, episode 1 of the broadcast order is episode 25 on Funimation (The Adventures of Mikuru Asahina Episode 00). You can check this thread if you want, but I suggest you to continue like you are watching right now.

Okay, thanks for the confirmation. I was confused about episode 00, because I was comparing it to the Netflix order (changed to Funimation because they didn't have the dub). Gonna stick with the Funimation order. Thanks again.

Edit: To clarify, I'm watching on a free trial account. Not gonna give them a cent.
MaxiDennisJul 24, 2021 3:09 AM

DO NOT Cʟɪᴄᴋ Tʜᴇ Lɪɴᴋ Bᴇʟᴏᴡ:
👉 ʜᴛᴘs://ᴍʏᴀɴɪᴍᴇʟɪsᴛ.ɴᴇᴛ/ᴅᴏ-ɴᴏᴛ-ᴄʟɪᴄᴋ-ᴛʜɪᴤ-ʟɪɴᴋ 👈

Jul 29, 2021 11:43 AM

Jan 2020
I thought this was pretty good. I wasn't expecting haruhi's personality to change so much into that energetic type but I don't mind lol. Sugita being the voice behind kyon is perfection and it improves my enjoyment overall

Definitely not a bad start

Dec 28, 2021 6:23 AM

May 2020
[CHRONOLOGICAL ORDER]

Here after that Sighs arc, and we finally got to see that complete movie and damn it's fucking hilarious. Kyon's commentry had me laughing for the whole of 24 minutes.

Also this being the very first episode of the series is absolutely baffling, just what the heck those creators were thinking at that time. Watching it in chronological order only will make you appreciate this episode and this series the way it needs to be.
Jan 29, 2022 5:37 PM

Dec 2007
really have headache just realizing in what order to watch, not because it's obvious to watch it by release or chronological but because my batch is arranged by the chronological so it was hard to make the order list of the airing order, which i'm gonna use for the 1st time so, here we go.

*airing order*
only by ep00 "plotline" i'm going to known what to expect from this series lol.

lot of fanservice lol.
Apr 8, 2022 5:30 AM

Jan 2022
Had no idea there was different orders to watch this, I'm just gonna watch it in the order zoroto has put it in and hope for the best.

Anyway, I really have no idea what I just watched. I'm not sure what I was expecting either, but it definitely wasn't that. It got kinda boring and repetitive closer to the end but for the most part it was funny.
Jun 5, 2022 8:47 AM

Feb 2014
MaxiDennis said:

Except, this story wasn't supposed to be non-linear. It's just the writer and director of the anime trying to be all artsy fartsy by broadcasting the episodes randomly for no good reason. The source material is in chronological order, so that's how I'm going to watch it. Also, Baccano and Pulp Fiction jump from one time period to another by shuffling scenes, not episodes. The non-linearity is part of the story and narrative, not some broadcasting gimmick.
Jun 23, 2022 8:28 AM
Aug 2016
Year 2022 June 23rd, this show doesn't age lol
First time watching, it is weird but funny and entertaining enough to complete the first episode. Good job with the seiyuus and direction of the SOS movie.
Jul 4, 2022 10:07 AM

Nov 2018
This is one of the cringiest anime I've ever seen.
This one episode felt like an eternity.
I hate everyone equally
Aug 21, 2022 5:41 PM
Feb 2022
THIS EPISODE WAS OKAY
Sep 10, 2022 2:37 PM
Jul 2022
i guess its a harem?
Oct 10, 2022 10:03 AM
Aug 2018
SliceOfDrama said:
The thing with Haruhi is that both the original broadcast order and the chronological order are completely fine.

Im watching chronological (so this is ep25) and this episode makes sense, but if this was the first episode of the show i saw (broadcast order) this would likely also be the last. So no, i dont think broadcast order is a valid way to watch this.
Does the Reaper Dream of Darkness Darker than Black?
Dec 3, 2022 6:47 PM
Nov 2022
ESTRANHO............
Dec 29, 2022 6:05 PM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
Dropped this a few episodes in about a year ago or so, probably because the whole thing seemed rather annoying. I remember the each of the few first episodes I did watch having felt like they were going on forever. Maybe that's because I had a rather jam-packed PTW list full of other anime I wanted to watch more than this, and looking forward to those most likely limited any potential enjoyment I could have had from this. But now with my PTW list practically empty apart from titles that have still yet to air, I have been taking things a bit more slow and can better appreciate things- generally speaking. So yes it's time for me to pick up Haruhi Suzumiya again, partly with the intent of hoping to find some enjoyment in this which I may have missed out on, but with mostly the reason being wanting to watch the movie, which I keep hearing such good things about and I just don't want to miss out on that. I believe all the praise it has gotten is deserved, and that it really is the god-tier anime movie that most hail it to be. So yeah, the movie is my end goal, but I also hope that the 28-episode journey to get there won't feel like a TOTAL chore and that I will actually enjoy it for the most part. I'll shut up now since you probably aren't going to read whatever this is anyway; I'm just putting this here for my own sake of getting my thoughts down somewhere.

I will not be bothering with watching it in the supposed broadcasting order or whatever, I'll just watch in whatever order it's given to me. I have no clue if MAL has them ordered in the same way, especially with the 2nd season from 2009 with its infamous endless eight arc- which I'm totally looking forward to, holy sh*t. So yeah I'm probably not going to be bothering with these episode discussion threads as I usually do. Anyway, the sites I usually use are seemingly always buffering with this show, so I legit restarted my crunchyroll premium account just for this. Enough rambling now, I just hope I can even enjoy this half as much as the fans have. See you around. Oh yeah and just real quick, I love all the motion to the animation. The visuals certainly aren't static. It is Kyoto Animation, after all. 

NYANPASU
5700XT

Feb 12, 2023 8:53 AM
Aug 2022
is that really the first episode? main characters absent and others in a stupid wacky fantasy movie. wow, that is a great kick-off. i want to see more.
Feb 27, 2023 3:58 PM

Jul 2022
The part where Asahina shoots the AK and where Shamisen talks are amazing. xDDDDDDDD

Apr 20, 2023 4:33 PM

May 2018
Broadcast order

Re-watching Haruhi, props for being one of the most creative things I've ever seen regarding the genre. I think Haruhi has the same status of Evangelion in the media, iconic classic.

Grant me one hour on love's most sacred shores
    To clasp the bosom that my soul adores,
    Lie heart to heart and merge my soul with yours
Apr 29, 2023 5:07 PM
Feb 2021
That fucking dance. Idk how ur meant to watch this show so fuck me
May 28, 2023 6:34 AM

Dec 2007
~rewatching - chronological order

so for the start of the anime there's no such different between date or chronological. but from the way i remember the anime, the chronological will be much less mindfucking way to watch it.
still, it might fix some issues that in the airing order there isn't.

can't get enough of haruhi determination. and the way kyon is supposedly involved in her mind lol

kyon is also still one of my favourite anime characters. he knows what would be the "average" and "normal" way to react to haruhi nonsense lol
Jul 7, 2023 1:15 PM

Aug 2019
What did I just watch? So I decided to watch this for the first time in broadcast order, and I already love whatever this is. I'm so confused by this entire episode but I'm guessing it'll make sense later. This first episode was just sooo good! The fight scenes, the scenes on the lake, the acting, that roof scene LOL I need more!
Jul 11, 2023 5:54 AM

Jul 2021
this shit was so boring i ended up taking a 2 hour nap mid-way through watching this. and i'm watching in chronological order.

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Oct 17, 2023 5:55 AM

Mar 2023
Broadcast order
What a start! A hilarious amateur's movie. That OP is gold
Feb 14, 12:08 AM

Jul 2021
This "amateur movie" episode is absolute genius. Wow. I was watching in chronological order and was not expecting to see the finished movie in full.

I cannot fathom watching this series in broadcast order, but watching this episode as the very first episode would have been quite an experience, I'll give them that.

I still think it'd be much, much funnier to come across this episode in chronological order (as the 25th episode).
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Scribbly - Jul 26, 2008

102 by Rahul_101 »»
May 22, 10:26 PM

» "chronological order" and my utter disgust for it

Tsuna-Ryu - Apr 15

36 by YukariKatsuragi »»
Apr 16, 11:49 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Scribbly - Jul 23, 2008

87 by Unoriginality »»
Apr 11, 9:50 PM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

abhin4v - Mar 2, 2008

93 by S4dnu »»
Apr 11, 5:47 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

AgathaKazar - Jul 19, 2008

99 by S4dnu »»
Apr 9, 5:39 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.