Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 26, 2010 8:22 PM

Aug 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Here it is, the infamous seizure causing episode. What are your thoughts?
Nov 7, 2010 8:52 PM

Jul 2010
I didn't have a seizure! I WIN!!!
Jan 24, 2012 9:52 PM

Nov 2010
No seizures here!

It's too bad it caused them, i really liked this ep (lol X-wing)
all that red and blue flashing seemed really unnessesary though. :P
Jul 6, 2012 10:36 PM

May 2012
I loved this episode, it's my favourite so far. I didn't get a seizure but I'm wondering what the difference between Porygon and Porygon-Zero are.
Feb 25, 2013 8:58 PM

Dec 2012
I understand why this episode was banned, it must have been scary for the little kids
May 5, 2015 1:02 PM

Feb 2014
Awesome episode, I loved it! Yup, no seizures here either! :D
New ending song, better than the last one.
I also liked the segment at the end of the episode which was shown right before episode 39, 4 months later.
If you don't like me, acquire some taste
Jan 26, 2016 9:20 PM

Jun 2009
so, funny story. when i watched this episode (you can check my pokemon completed date on my list) i wasn't diagnosed with epilepsy. i didn't have a seizure. i just watched it again, after being diagnosed. didn't have a seizure. it should be mentioned that even if you're epileptic, just because you see some flashing lights doesn't mean you will have a fit. only certain types of epilepsy would be affected. for example, i'm not photosensitive.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photosensitive_epilepsy

Albi-kun said:
I understand why this episode was banned, it must have been scary for the little kids

uh, it wasn't banned because it was scary, it was banned because over 600 kids had seizures while watching this episode (pretty obvious which scene it was).
Aug 9, 2016 6:22 PM

Sep 2012
This was a great episode.
Jul 5, 2017 6:27 AM

Jul 2008
Well I survived! No issues here.
Jul 29, 2017 9:03 PM

Jun 2013
Obviously watching on an LCD / LED TV has the effect different from what you see on a CRT TV from that time (1990's). Flashes and your FPS are much more offensive to the eyes on a CRT TV.
Apr 30, 2019 10:38 AM
Jan 2012
To be honest the lights did end up making me feel a bit funny, can't imagine seeing this on an actual TV. They were far more intense than I remembered. Too bad they couldn't have re-edited this episode before it got globally banned because the concept for the episode is great.
weekend_squireApr 30, 2019 10:54 AM
Jul 10, 2020 8:25 AM

Jun 2020
I liked the episode. I see why it was banned, the good news is that from this episode they began to know how to use the colors red and blue.
Sometimes otakus are rejected by society, so I discovered that it is much better to be an
otaku in secret.
May 11, 2021 4:10 AM

Dec 2007
to be honest, i had kind of headaches from the green-blue pictures, no more than that. in the release i got (#pocketmonsters release) there's even scene after the episode that explains that's the reason, i remember reading in wiki the reason is for when pikachu striking the missiles, but it's understood better.

anyway, feels to me like imagine-free adaption of in-game anime xD

and did i missed something, or team rocket actually have porygon for themself? it's hard to say they stole it from the prof. since porygon0 listened to them.
Nov 23, 2021 4:48 AM

Dec 2012
Great and unique episode. I had no problems with the scene.
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Nov 24, 2021 1:43 PM

Aug 2019
User-Name said:
and did i missed something, or team rocket actually have porygon for themself? it's hard to say they stole it from the prof. since porygon0 listened to them.

They did steal it from him for use in this episode. It originally belonged to Dr. Akihabara, which should've been made clear in the subs.
Nov 24, 2021 3:18 PM

Dec 2007
Sweet_Escape said:
User-Name said:

They did steal it from him for use in this episode. It originally belonged to Dr. Akihabara, which should've been made clear in the subs.
i actually watched it with and without subs, they haven't said that not in japanese and not in the subs. (at least from what i remember, it was long time ago lol)
and furthermore porygon listened to them, and if i'm not mistaken it wasn't shown he took that from them back.
it shouldn't be farfetched though to say that team rocket had polygon lol,
Apr 22, 2022 5:39 PM

Aug 2014
I just never understood why animes used those bright red/blue flashing lights. I used to observed those flashing lights in older mecha animes, like Macross, and those flashing lights were always bothersome that I had to look away. I mean, doesnt the staff watch the episodes before releasing them?

Anywho, its a shame that Porygon has been the one to take the blame in the pokemon anime and I dont think he has made any significant appearance since this episode.

Since this episode occurred, all animes now make sure to lower the brightness of many scenes (good), got rid of those blue/red flashes (good).

And also, because of this pokemon episode, now many animes at the beginning of an episode (especially if its a kids anime), put the message on screen to make sure to watch anime in a well-lit room and from a distance.
May 20, 2022 12:37 PM

Jan 2013
Yeah I can see how this would induce a seizure ... I had no issues myself but definitely should've been reviewed better.

As for the episode, Pokemon sure has some advanced technology, already being able to transfer a "human" into a digital world and returning them with everything intact.
Even bringing out a CG pokemon into making it an actual pokemon.

I feel like Team Rocket should've been forever grateful of them saving their lives but knowing them they'll surely go back to trying to catch Pickachu x)
Aug 17, 2022 7:02 PM

Oct 2020
This was a fun episode where the main characters got transferred to a digital world. Too bad it gave kids seizures.

Nov 13, 2022 7:08 PM

Feb 2016
I finally got around to watching this. I don't understand why Pokemon was the only anime to cause mass seizures, as this isn't any worse than the standard 80s or 90s anime. It took far too long for those annoying flashes to go out of style.
その目だれの目?
Jul 16, 2023 12:01 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
The episode itself felt really different than the other ones because of the digital world plot, it's closer to a Digimon episode this way, I liked it actually but makes perfect sense why it was banned, wtf was this idea with the colors this is far too aggressive, even for someone who's not epileptic it's too much.
May 22, 11:00 PM

Dec 2022
admittedly I was afraid to watch for fear of getting a seizure ^_^
pretty cool Tron-esque episode, very fitting into the late 90's aesthetic and surely fans of Lain would appreciate too
shame they never just simply took out or adjusted the epilepsy parts and aired it differently, guess it was just too much controversy

pretty cool to see the official apology video after the episode finished too, they addressed it fairly. guess this probably must have affected the whole industry, cool to see a piece of history!
gannoncannon55May 22, 11:05 PM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Pokemon Episode 4 Discussion

Alicia3000 - Mar 20, 2010

29 by Chrismokelky420 »»
Yesterday, 5:03 AM

Poll: » Pokemon Episode 276 Discussion

loghneckbeard - Sep 21, 2012

24 by oooo3333 »»
Sep 12, 9:34 AM

Poll: » Pokemon Episode 149 Discussion

Tombo - Jan 19, 2012

9 by Matheus050 »»
Sep 8, 9:14 AM

Poll: » Pokemon Episode 226 Discussion

Albi-kun - Jun 27, 2013

9 by Knave_ »»
Sep 5, 7:39 PM

Poll: » Pokemon Episode 148 Discussion

Tombo - Jan 19, 2012

9 by Matheus050 »»
Sep 1, 11:15 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.