Forum Settings
Forums
New
Oct 24, 9:03 AM

Jan 2022

For me it's really relatable, lol. Some of those obscure 80s/90s OVAs are so fucked up in the head, lol.
Oct 24, 9:03 AM

Feb 2020
"Do you find this anime meme relatable?"

Totally yes. :P
Oct 24, 9:04 AM

Sep 2024
Maybe if some ng explains me what an OVA is
Oct 24, 9:06 AM

Feb 2020
Reply to memphisn1nj406
@memphisn1nj406

"OVA stands for original video animation. These refer to shows or movies that are released through home video, either on DVD or Blu-ray. This means that these shows or movies were not aired on TV or released in theaters.

OVAs began during the 1980s as VCRs became more popular. Since these VCRs were incredibly common in Japanese households, the idea of direct-to-video was bound to happen. Some popular series during this time were released as OVAs.

Presently, in anime, OVAs range from anime-only content, and adaptations of extra manga or light novel chapters to side stories or spin-offs. Think of it as extra content for the main series. The length of these OVAs varies — it can be shorter than the usual anime episode or longer."
Oct 24, 9:10 AM

Sep 2016
Not really, there's plenty of modern dark stuff.
Oct 24, 9:11 AM

Sep 2024
Now that I know what an OVA is I can say that the meme is shit fs
Oct 24, 9:30 AM

Jan 2022
Reply to memphisn1nj406
Now that I know what an OVA is I can say that the meme is shit fs
@memphisn1nj406 wow I really needed to see the opinion of an account that was created a month ago with just 4 episodes of Monster in it's list who doesn't even know what an OVA is. You're truly entitled to your own opinion and made everyone notice your warranted presence. Now that your work is successful and done please spare us of yourself and your good deeds, thank you so much in advance. ๐Ÿ™‚
Oct 24, 9:32 AM

Jan 2013
Not particularly, what are some good 80/90's OVA that I'm missing out on?
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Oct 24, 9:51 AM

Apr 2024
Yeah , it is but it sound a bit like stupid elitism tbh
[/size]
Oct 24, 10:28 AM

Jan 2022
Reply to Zakatsuki_
Yeah , it is but it sound a bit like stupid elitism tbh
@Zakatsuki_ what the fuck are you even talking about?? Lol, what does this simple meme image have to do with elitism????
Oct 24, 10:47 AM

Jan 2022
Reply to Zarutaku
Not really, there's plenty of modern dark stuff.
@Zarutaku I respect and love the anime edge of today but the edge of the past was a whole nother animal. Like give this a watch and tell me you're still sane, you can't.
Oct 24, 10:59 AM

Apr 2018
Reply to memphisn1nj406
@memphisn1nj406 How did you not know this? Everyone knows what an OVA is. Are you a newbie?
Oct 24, 11:00 AM

Apr 2018
The meme is pretty relatable, yeah.
Oct 24, 11:08 AM

Jul 2021
there, I made it seven times more relatable
Oct 24, 11:23 AM
แ•™(โ‡€โ€ธโ†ผโ€ถ)แ•—

Aug 2014
Sure, I can see what it is attempting to communicate.
Oct 24, 4:05 PM

Jun 2024
Nope, I don't relate to that meme yet.
Oct 24, 5:04 PM

Jul 2013
I like modern anime more. I like watching cute anime girls doing cute things.....
Oct 25, 7:42 AM

May 2019
Oct 25, 7:50 AM

Sep 2018
80s and 90s anime were pretty crazy so yeah.
Oct 25, 8:14 AM

Feb 2016
Reply to LostSpectre
@LostSpectre
My favorite is Sukeban Deka. Generally, I think movies are better.
ใใฎ็›ฎใ ใ‚Œใฎ็›ฎ๏ผŸ
Oct 25, 8:20 AM

Aug 2011
I can't even remember the last time I watched an old OVA. I watched a lot when I was much younger, I feel like I watched every random thing I could find back then, but not really these days.
Oct 25, 8:30 AM

Feb 2016
I agree in the sense that many anime on the right aren't very good, to the point that watching them is like playing Russian Roulette. I can't use reviews to help form expectations if they are too obscure to have reviews.
ใใฎ็›ฎใ ใ‚Œใฎ็›ฎ๏ผŸ
Oct 25, 8:38 AM

Jun 2016
Yeah I guess so but not because of the themes and content. Modern anime are just way too bright.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Oct 25, 3:34 PM

Jul 2015
Reply to LostSpectre
@LostSpectre

Probably my favorite of the lot is Area 88 (1985)
It's a great antiwar movie with some interesting characters, probably the best dogfighting ever animated on cels, and a stupidly good and catchy soundtrack. The premise is baffling, but just suspend your disbelief for the events that led to the protagonist's current situation, and enjoy.
It also has a very famous and controversial scene that might, or might not be, blatant racism. The jury is still deliberating on this one...

There's Cyber City Oedo 808 (1990) and Iria: Zeiram (1994) if you feel like watching some high-quality sci-fi entertainment. They're not going to make you reconsider the meaning of life, but they look good, sound good, it hardly gets more 90s than this.

If you're more interested in some light-hearted comedy, there's the awesome Bannou Bunka Neko-Musume (1992). It is absolutely carried by the voice acting (Ayashibaya Megumi and Kamiya Akira, probably the most legendary VAs of the period), and the show's just pure fun and cute.

Don't hesitate to DM me if you wanna talk about the shows, or ask for more ;)
DeathkoOct 25, 3:40 PM
Oct 25, 3:38 PM

Jan 2013
Reply to Deathko
@LostSpectre

Probably my favorite of the lot is Area 88 (1985)
It's a great antiwar movie with some interesting characters, probably the best dogfighting ever animated on cels, and a stupidly good and catchy soundtrack. The premise is baffling, but just suspend your disbelief for the events that led to the protagonist's current situation, and enjoy.
It also has a very famous and controversial scene that might, or might not be, blatant racism. The jury is still deliberating on this one...

There's Cyber City Oedo 808 (1990) and Iria: Zeiram (1994) if you feel like watching some high-quality sci-fi entertainment. They're not going to make you reconsider the meaning of life, but they look good, sound good, it hardly gets more 90s than this.

If you're more interested in some light-hearted comedy, there's the awesome Bannou Bunka Neko-Musume (1992). It is absolutely carried by the voice acting (Ayashibaya Megumi and Kamiya Akira, probably the most legendary VAs of the period), and the show's just pure fun and cute.

Don't hesitate to DM me if you wanna talk about the shows, or ask for more ;)
@Deathko

Thanks for the suggestions, and the gifs were much appreciated! The art is gloriously retro in these, will check them out.
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Oct 25, 4:14 PM

Aug 2021
Yes totally. Anime memes are a big part why I really watch anime.
Oct 25, 4:32 PM

Oct 2013
Reply to LenRea
@memphisn1nj406 wow I really needed to see the opinion of an account that was created a month ago with just 4 episodes of Monster in it's list who doesn't even know what an OVA is. You're truly entitled to your own opinion and made everyone notice your warranted presence. Now that your work is successful and done please spare us of yourself and your good deeds, thank you so much in advance. ๐Ÿ™‚
@LenRea You post on here, you open yourself up to responses from everyone, whether they're a new fan/user or an old one. You wanna play that card, people who've been here longer than you could do the same. Also the sarcasm in saying "You're truly entitled to your own opinion" is ironic, considering you posting on here makes it seem like you think your opinions are worthy of being read too. It's not even good sarcasm because everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
Yesterday, 5:53 AM

Jan 2022
Reply to FanofAction
@LenRea You post on here, you open yourself up to responses from everyone, whether they're a new fan/user or an old one. You wanna play that card, people who've been here longer than you could do the same. Also the sarcasm in saying "You're truly entitled to your own opinion" is ironic, considering you posting on here makes it seem like you think your opinions are worthy of being read too. It's not even good sarcasm because everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
@FanofAction thanks for defending the guy leaving spam replies, MAL Forums wouldn't know what to do without you ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘
Yesterday, 6:52 AM

Jul 2015
Reply to LenRea
@FanofAction thanks for defending the guy leaving spam replies, MAL Forums wouldn't know what to do without you ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘
@LenRea
The guy leaving "spam replies": 11 posts total

๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘
Yesterday, 7:07 AM

Apr 2012
My favourite 80s/90s OVA series is Gunbuster, so no, that doesn't really work for me.
Yesterday, 7:07 AM

Nov 2020
LenRea said:
Some of those obscure 80s/90s OVAs are so fucked up in the head, lol.
could you give some examples? (needa expand my ptw)
"Are you the strongest because you're Satoru Gojo? Or are you Satoru Gojo because you're the strongest?"~ Suguru Geto

Yesterday, 7:21 AM

Jul 2015
Reply to AMBITZZ
LenRea said:
@AMBITZZ

Genocyber

Bio Hunter

MD Geist

Baoh Raihousha

Mad Bull 34

Maryuu Senki (A Kawajiri OVA... Finally something decent in that list lmao)

Kakugo no Susume (this one is actually good despite a sub 5 rating on MAL)

Those are pretty much the most common answers when looking for ultraviolent, untasteful OVAs. I had to go from lowest rating to highest rating in my list to find them, and the only one I consider interesting to watch are the two last ones. Everything else, I rated 5 or lower.
Yesterday, 7:29 AM

Mar 2016
2009 through 2015 was the peak for anime for me, as I really got into it during those years. (I started watching around 2006ish) so I agree with the left path, though not for mainstream, but for the far...for a lack of a better word, better anime.
Just an avid anime watcher of 18 years, not much else I could say about myself (that I don't want to reveal, of course, just ask if you wanna know more!)

"So...look up, face forward, toward your chosen horizon and just...walk on." - Noah, Xenoblade Chronicles 3
Yesterday, 7:53 AM

Oct 2013
Reply to LenRea
@LenRea You're welcome. Any time, pal.
Yesterday, 8:09 AM

Jan 2022
Reply to AMBITZZ
LenRea said:
@AMBITZZ Here's some of the more fucked up OVAs I've wtached: Crying Freeman, Kizuoibito, Angel Cop, A Kite, Mezzo Forte, Hen, Amon: Devilman Mokushiroku, Eguchi Hisashi no Kotobuki Gorou Show
Warning: you might lose your sanity. I sure did... kinda.
Yesterday, 8:38 AM

Jul 2015
Oh yeah, I forgot Angel Cop. Classic.
Yesterday, 1:10 PM

Aug 2018
Nah, OVAs are not even a consideration in my book. It's not because they're bad. In fact a lot of them are really good. the characters and art special charm to them lacking in modern anime. Which makes it extra frustrating when the shows end abruptly without even coming close to resolving the plot.

More topics from this board

» โ˜€๏ธSummer 2024: Anime of the Season (AOTS) & Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

nirererin - Oct 9

217 by nirererin »»
41 seconds ago

» Most beautiful cover arts from each season of this year.

Jonas-K - Oct 23

12 by NoelleIsSleepy »»
10 minutes ago

» Can you befriend people who have trash taste in Anime?

Dragevard - 7 hours ago

17 by Toooooooooohru »»
11 minutes ago

» Worst/best character additions in an anime/series you like? ( 1 2 )

Catalano - Oct 25

50 by CTJCOLE »»
13 minutes ago

» Do you appreciate when husbandos go down low?

Catalano - Today

10 by _cjessop19_ »»
14 minutes ago
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.