Forum Settings
Forums

Have the 20s already created things that you would call iconic (pop culture) symbols of the decade?

New
4 hours ago

Apr 2012
What films, music or games would you consider iconic symbols of the 20s at the moment? Or maybe some other pop cultural phenomena like new subcultures, clothing styles or popular foods? We are one step away from 2025, the actual middle of the decade, so I was wondering what interesting things we already have at the moment.
4 hours ago

Jul 2021
Unfortunately the biggest impact on pop culture is probably TikTok...
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
4 hours ago

Apr 2012
Reply to JaniSIr
Unfortunately the biggest impact on pop culture is probably TikTok...
@JaniSIr Didn't TikTok become popular back in the 10s?
4 hours ago

Jul 2021
Reply to RobertBobert
@JaniSIr Didn't TikTok become popular back in the 10s?
@RobertBobert According to Wikipedia it was released in 2016, but if Google trends is worthwhile to go by, it got very popular around 2020, probably strongly influenced by COVID and everyone doom scrolling.
4 hours ago

Apr 2012
Reply to JaniSIr
@RobertBobert According to Wikipedia it was released in 2016, but if Google trends is worthwhile to go by, it got very popular around 2020, probably strongly influenced by COVID and everyone doom scrolling.
@JaniSIr So, Tiktok can fully be called one of the symbols of the 20s so far?
4 hours ago

Dec 2015
Well I'm gonna need to lurk through some lists to remind myself what has actually came out so far.
When it comes to movies and tv series, I barely touch movies/tv series so it won't be a big list:

Gladiator II [no matter if it's gonna be as high as Gladiator I, it will be popular because of being the sequel of an iconic movie from 2000 and perhaps continuing it's legacy]
Dune, even tho I haven't watched it just the amount of it being talked about is showcasing how it will go
All quiet on the western front, I guess it's self explanatory
Queen Gambit
Arcane
1670 - It will be iconic for my country at the very least, can't tell how popular it went abroad the Polish Netflix
Squid Game - It has already made a style for nowadays Korean reality shows like Physical 100, Culinary Class Wars etc. And it's popularity, it's already "iconic"
Mandalorian Season 2 - I know the season 1 is from 2019, but I guess 2nd season is more iconic due to the finale with the corridor scene.

If there was anything else coming out in these years than sorry, forgot as I ain't watching that much of these stuff.

Video Games:
Mount and Blade II Bannerlord, the whole series is known and the newer version of that is obviously somehow iconic for people whom likes these types of games
Chivalry 2
Cyberpunk 2077
Elden Ring
Doom Eternal
Genshin Impact
Honkai Star Rail
Contraband Police
Palworld
Manor Lords
Kingmakers - It didn't came out yet, but it is already predictable
Kingdome Come Deliverance II - self explanatory
Helldivers 2
Civilization VII - self explanatory
Path of Exile 2 - Just the popularity of the first game will make the 2nd iconic

Music:
Besides some singular songs which I ain't follow and I think it is pointless to list Polish songs here. I guess Phonks are getting quite popular since last 2-3 years

For everything else I ain't seeing anything that would be so iconic/popular to be remembered later on.

@RobertBobert Tik Tok started it's huge popularity by 2018-2019, as that's when I started to read, hear and see people talking about it, writing about it in internet and even seeing people recording themselves for it. So I think 2020 is a little bit too late for its popularity beginning.
3 hours ago

Sep 2016
ChatGPT is the most iconic thing of this decade.
3 hours ago

Jul 2021
Reply to RobertBobert
@JaniSIr So, Tiktok can fully be called one of the symbols of the 20s so far?
@RobertBobert I guess? It's kind of weird to group together random things based on nothing but release date though.
There have been some good art pieces released, but all of those can just be a micro trend on Tiktok...
The short form content format has more of an impact than the actual content ever could have.
3 hours ago

May 2021
To be fear I would say it's social media, it's like the driving factor behind how society is these days.

“๐˜๐˜ฏ ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ฉ๐˜ถ๐˜ฎ๐˜ข๐˜ฏ ๐˜ธ๐˜ฐ๐˜ณ๐˜ญ๐˜ฅ, ๐˜ต๐˜ณ๐˜ถ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ ๐˜ข๐˜ฏ๐˜ฅ ๐˜ณ๐˜ฆ๐˜ข๐˜ญ๐˜ช๐˜ต๐˜บ ๐˜ข๐˜ณ๐˜ฆ๐˜ฏ’๐˜ต ๐˜ข๐˜ญ๐˜ธ๐˜ข๐˜บ๐˜ด ๐˜ฐ๐˜ฏ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ข๐˜ฏ๐˜ฅ ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ด๐˜ข๐˜ฎ๐˜ฆ. ๐˜๐˜ถ๐˜ฎ๐˜ข๐˜ฏ๐˜ด ๐˜ซ๐˜ถ๐˜ด๐˜ต ๐˜ค๐˜ข๐˜ญ๐˜ญ ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ๐˜ช๐˜ณ ๐˜ฅ๐˜ฆ๐˜ด๐˜ช๐˜ณ๐˜ฆ๐˜ด ๐˜ข๐˜ฏ๐˜ฅ ๐˜ข๐˜ฎ๐˜ฃ๐˜ช๐˜ต๐˜ช๐˜ฐ๐˜ฏ๐˜ด ๐˜ข๐˜ด “๐˜ต๐˜ณ๐˜ถ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ”. ๐˜๐˜ถ๐˜ฎ๐˜ข๐˜ฏ๐˜ด ๐˜ธ๐˜ช๐˜ญ๐˜ญ ๐˜ฆ๐˜ท๐˜ฆ๐˜ฏ ๐˜ฌ๐˜ช๐˜ญ๐˜ญ ๐˜ฐ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ๐˜ณ ๐˜ฉ๐˜ถ๐˜ฎ๐˜ข๐˜ฏ๐˜ด ๐˜ช๐˜ง ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ๐˜บ ๐˜ฉ๐˜ข๐˜ท๐˜ฆ “๐˜ต๐˜ณ๐˜ถ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ” ๐˜ข๐˜ด ๐˜ข๐˜ฏ ๐˜ฆ๐˜น๐˜ค๐˜ถ๐˜ด๐˜ฆ.” – ๐˜š๐˜ข๐˜ฏ๐˜ฆ๐˜ต๐˜ฐ๐˜ด๐˜ฉ๐˜ช ๐˜ž๐˜ข๐˜ต๐˜ข๐˜ด๐˜ฆ
สแด€sแดœสœแด€ - า“สŸสแด…แด€ส แด„สœษชษดแด€แด›แดแดกษด

3 hours ago

Apr 2012
Reply to JaniSIr
@RobertBobert I guess? It's kind of weird to group together random things based on nothing but release date though.
There have been some good art pieces released, but all of those can just be a micro trend on Tiktok...
The short form content format has more of an impact than the actual content ever could have.
@JaniSIr I've heard that the popularity of TikTok, Twitter and related platforms has made it much harder for people to consume heavy and large content, by the way. Even 10 years ago, the idea of โ€‹โ€‹a video retelling service would have seemed ridiculous to me.

@Zettaiken Is it just me, or did the 20s become a kind of revival of interest in the Middle Ages and conventionally realistic fantasy?

But it's interesting that the '20s seem to be a time that paid homage to many old but underappreciated trends like game adaptations, forgotten cult video games, or abandoned films like Dune.

@Astrollyth Interesting idea, could you expand on it?
RobertBobert3 hours ago
3 hours ago

Jul 2021
iconic movies to be remembered worldwide (i.e. American movies only :(((() is going to be the Dune series
idk about rap or pop but in drums, this decade already kind of belongs to Chase and Status
RobertBobert said:
clothing styles

Idk about America or the rest of the world but here 2020s so far were the decade when young guys stopped wearing waist packs (I think thats how you call that in English) and started wearing those small square crossbody bags (once again idk how it is called in English). I never got into either though. 70% of women my age here dress the same, its the "arthoe" clothing style (characterized by baggy pants), its not that its bad, its just really funny to see how common it is. Also the shoes people wear changed.

I dont think its going to be a very "iconic" decade, we gonna have to do a lot of work to try and not nuke each other
3 hours ago

Jul 2021
Reply to Zarutaku
ChatGPT is the most iconic thing of this decade.
@Zarutaku
fucked up but true. I noticed that young kids cant fucking Google anymore, they give their question to ChatGPT which throws at them a 100 word paragraph which could be summarized in three words.
Back in my days we googled everything ourselves and didnt complain!!!!! It was honest work!!!!
3 hours ago

May 2021
Reply to RobertBobert
@JaniSIr I've heard that the popularity of TikTok, Twitter and related platforms has made it much harder for people to consume heavy and large content, by the way. Even 10 years ago, the idea of โ€‹โ€‹a video retelling service would have seemed ridiculous to me.

@Zettaiken Is it just me, or did the 20s become a kind of revival of interest in the Middle Ages and conventionally realistic fantasy?

But it's interesting that the '20s seem to be a time that paid homage to many old but underappreciated trends like game adaptations, forgotten cult video games, or abandoned films like Dune.

@Astrollyth Interesting idea, could you expand on it?
@RobertBobert For example it affects the way people talk there's always some new popularized word or phrase, new slang, it affects what people eat through these adds and stuff, it contributes to what people wear and there fashion sense, not to mention peoples dating life, a lot of people first meet on some kind of social media platform and so much more I could go on on.

“๐˜๐˜ฏ ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ฉ๐˜ถ๐˜ฎ๐˜ข๐˜ฏ ๐˜ธ๐˜ฐ๐˜ณ๐˜ญ๐˜ฅ, ๐˜ต๐˜ณ๐˜ถ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ ๐˜ข๐˜ฏ๐˜ฅ ๐˜ณ๐˜ฆ๐˜ข๐˜ญ๐˜ช๐˜ต๐˜บ ๐˜ข๐˜ณ๐˜ฆ๐˜ฏ’๐˜ต ๐˜ข๐˜ญ๐˜ธ๐˜ข๐˜บ๐˜ด ๐˜ฐ๐˜ฏ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ข๐˜ฏ๐˜ฅ ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ด๐˜ข๐˜ฎ๐˜ฆ. ๐˜๐˜ถ๐˜ฎ๐˜ข๐˜ฏ๐˜ด ๐˜ซ๐˜ถ๐˜ด๐˜ต ๐˜ค๐˜ข๐˜ญ๐˜ญ ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ๐˜ช๐˜ณ ๐˜ฅ๐˜ฆ๐˜ด๐˜ช๐˜ณ๐˜ฆ๐˜ด ๐˜ข๐˜ฏ๐˜ฅ ๐˜ข๐˜ฎ๐˜ฃ๐˜ช๐˜ต๐˜ช๐˜ฐ๐˜ฏ๐˜ด ๐˜ข๐˜ด “๐˜ต๐˜ณ๐˜ถ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ”. ๐˜๐˜ถ๐˜ฎ๐˜ข๐˜ฏ๐˜ด ๐˜ธ๐˜ช๐˜ญ๐˜ญ ๐˜ฆ๐˜ท๐˜ฆ๐˜ฏ ๐˜ฌ๐˜ช๐˜ญ๐˜ญ ๐˜ฐ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ๐˜ณ ๐˜ฉ๐˜ถ๐˜ฎ๐˜ข๐˜ฏ๐˜ด ๐˜ช๐˜ง ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ๐˜บ ๐˜ฉ๐˜ข๐˜ท๐˜ฆ “๐˜ต๐˜ณ๐˜ถ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ” ๐˜ข๐˜ด ๐˜ข๐˜ฏ ๐˜ฆ๐˜น๐˜ค๐˜ถ๐˜ด๐˜ฆ.” – ๐˜š๐˜ข๐˜ฏ๐˜ฆ๐˜ต๐˜ฐ๐˜ด๐˜ฉ๐˜ช ๐˜ž๐˜ข๐˜ต๐˜ข๐˜ด๐˜ฆ
สแด€sแดœสœแด€ - า“สŸสแด…แด€ส แด„สœษชษดแด€แด›แดแดกษด

3 hours ago

Apr 2012
Reply to Commit_Crime
iconic movies to be remembered worldwide (i.e. American movies only :(((() is going to be the Dune series
idk about rap or pop but in drums, this decade already kind of belongs to Chase and Status
RobertBobert said:
clothing styles

Idk about America or the rest of the world but here 2020s so far were the decade when young guys stopped wearing waist packs (I think thats how you call that in English) and started wearing those small square crossbody bags (once again idk how it is called in English). I never got into either though. 70% of women my age here dress the same, its the "arthoe" clothing style (characterized by baggy pants), its not that its bad, its just really funny to see how common it is. Also the shoes people wear changed.

I dont think its going to be a very "iconic" decade, we gonna have to do a lot of work to try and not nuke each other
@Commit_Crime This is the first time I’ve heard this word, but judging by Google images, “arthoe” is something like a new wave of hipsters with another throwback to the fashion of the 70s and an ostentatious love for arthouse and culture is not for everyone.

@Astrollyth That is, in the 20s, social networks actually replaced the once real social life with its clubs, discos, popular public places, etc.?
3 hours ago

Jul 2021
Reply to RobertBobert
@Commit_Crime This is the first time I’ve heard this word, but judging by Google images, “arthoe” is something like a new wave of hipsters with another throwback to the fashion of the 70s and an ostentatious love for arthouse and culture is not for everyone.

@Astrollyth That is, in the 20s, social networks actually replaced the once real social life with its clubs, discos, popular public places, etc.?
@RobertBobert

Yeah, spot on, this is the 2010s hipster except female with a canvas reusable bag instead of "whiskey??? at the barber???"

Luckily the "arthoe" style is not limited to clothing and this one is something that a lot of males my age do as well.
Self improvement books recommended from social media, absolute staple of the decade, truly an amazing trend. For women; make sure to post a picture on Instagram so everyone knows you are not like the others. For men; make sure to NOT post a picture but brag about the concepts (dont read it, just watch a video) to everyone around. Its overall a big upgrade from inspirational quotes on Facebook.
3 hours ago

Jul 2021
Reply to Commit_Crime
@Zarutaku
fucked up but true. I noticed that young kids cant fucking Google anymore, they give their question to ChatGPT which throws at them a 100 word paragraph which could be summarized in three words.
Back in my days we googled everything ourselves and didnt complain!!!!! It was honest work!!!!
@Commit_Crime Google became totally useless though.
They ruined it so hard...
3 hours ago

Apr 2018
There are some, yeah. Squid Game comes to mind.
3 hours ago

Apr 2012
Reply to Commit_Crime
@RobertBobert

Yeah, spot on, this is the 2010s hipster except female with a canvas reusable bag instead of "whiskey??? at the barber???"

Luckily the "arthoe" style is not limited to clothing and this one is something that a lot of males my age do as well.
Self improvement books recommended from social media, absolute staple of the decade, truly an amazing trend. For women; make sure to post a picture on Instagram so everyone knows you are not like the others. For men; make sure to NOT post a picture but brag about the concepts (dont read it, just watch a video) to everyone around. Its overall a big upgrade from inspirational quotes on Facebook.
@Commit_Crime Sounds like the stereotypical life of a Western intellectual from the second half of the 20th century. Missing the old-fashioned glasses and 50's hairstyle. Or was it intended that way?

Is Instagram becoming the center of modern pop culture again? Sometimes I feel like a lot of things in the modern world exist just so you can take a picture and post them on Instagram, lmao.
2 hours ago

Jul 2021
Reply to RobertBobert
@Commit_Crime Sounds like the stereotypical life of a Western intellectual from the second half of the 20th century. Missing the old-fashioned glasses and 50's hairstyle. Or was it intended that way?

Is Instagram becoming the center of modern pop culture again? Sometimes I feel like a lot of things in the modern world exist just so you can take a picture and post them on Instagram, lmao.
@RobertBobert
Yeah, Instagram is really big here, not just for young people. I deleted it cause I was getting spammed with bullshit every two minutes but ended up reinstalling it after a couple months because I was missing important messages. I wish all my contacts were on Telegram but that tends to be popular mostly with people who have family/come from further east.
2 hours ago

Apr 2012
Reply to Commit_Crime
@RobertBobert
Yeah, Instagram is really big here, not just for young people. I deleted it cause I was getting spammed with bullshit every two minutes but ended up reinstalling it after a couple months because I was missing important messages. I wish all my contacts were on Telegram but that tends to be popular mostly with people who have family/come from further east.
@Commit_Crime Some people have told me before that Instagram has now almost taken over most of Facebook's "modern" audience.
2 hours ago

Jun 2020
elden ring, skibidi toilet, AI, maybe boba tea
2 hours ago

Jul 2021
Reply to RobertBobert
@Commit_Crime Some people have told me before that Instagram has now almost taken over most of Facebook's "modern" audience.
@RobertBobert
Yeah, its absolutely true. Its a combination of tiktok and a messaging app, pretty deadly trap for a lot of people.
2 hours ago

Apr 2012
Reply to Dumb
elden ring, skibidi toilet, AI, maybe boba tea
@Dumb What is a “skibidi toilet” anyway?! I hear about this all the time, the store next door even had a gacha with "skibidi toilet" keychains. But I've never encountered this.

@Commit_Crime I once tried to use Instagram myself, but in the end it all ended with a couple of depressing photos of city places and short dialogues with one of my friends, lmao.
2 hours ago

Jun 2020
Reply to RobertBobert
@Dumb What is a “skibidi toilet” anyway?! I hear about this all the time, the store next door even had a gacha with "skibidi toilet" keychains. But I've never encountered this.

@Commit_Crime I once tried to use Instagram myself, but in the end it all ended with a couple of depressing photos of city places and short dialogues with one of my friends, lmao.
@RobertBobert
RobertBobert said:

It's a really bad youtube series made in source engine (so it looks like a lot of old valve games if you know what those are) about people with camera heads fighting against toilets that have human heads sticking out of them. It's pure brain rot, and assumed to only be watched by kids who are raised by their ipads. It turned wide spread due to that and also due to older people making fun of the iPad kiddos.

Another part of culture that's become mainstream in my opinion is all of the streamers like Kai Cenat or IShowSpeed, at least with younger people they're very popular.
2 hours ago

Jul 2021
Reply to RobertBobert

@RobertBobert Skibidi toilet is an animated youtube series where a head pops out from a toilet and sings a song, and there is some resistance against it with camera headed people. The videos are all very short and quite frankly make no sense, it's just an absurd shitpost.
2 hours ago

Jul 2021
Reply to RobertBobert

@RobertBobert
You are better off, its not worth it if the people you want to talk to have different apps.
And for anonymous fun, all the mainstream social media are kind of shit. I really like these forums for that, (almost) everyone here is so nice compared to the rest of the internet
2 hours ago

Apr 2012
Reply to Commit_Crime
@RobertBobert
You are better off, its not worth it if the people you want to talk to have different apps.
And for anonymous fun, all the mainstream social media are kind of shit. I really like these forums for that, (almost) everyone here is so nice compared to the rest of the internet
@Commit_Crime Well, it doesn't make much sense for me to use Instagram. Unless, once every 100 years, look at photos of your favorite musicians and read idiotic comments from random people about them, lmao.

@JaniSIr @Dumb And this has become a cult global trend that people talk about everywhere? Just 10-15 years ago this would have been just another “weird trend” for chronic imageboard visitors.
2 hours ago

Jun 2020
RobertBobert said:
And this has become a cult global trend that people talk about everywhere? Just 10-15 years ago this would have been just another “weird trend” for chronic imageboard visitors.

In my age range yes (18 and younger), although I guess that is a pretty narrow gap. I guess it would be more appropriate to blanket it under the "iPad kid" phenomenon I mentioned as a bigger part of the 2020's, considering Toy Story 5 is pitched to be about that.
2 hours ago

Apr 2012
Reply to Dumb
RobertBobert said:
And this has become a cult global trend that people talk about everywhere? Just 10-15 years ago this would have been just another “weird trend” for chronic imageboard visitors.

In my age range yes (18 and younger), although I guess that is a pretty narrow gap. I guess it would be more appropriate to blanket it under the "iPad kid" phenomenon I mentioned as a bigger part of the 2020's, considering Toy Story 5 is pitched to be about that.
@Dumb Have the sufficient development of modern tablets really influenced children’s digital addiction so much? It seemed like they used to say the same thing about TV or video games.
2 hours ago

Jun 2020
Reply to RobertBobert
@Dumb Have the sufficient development of modern tablets really influenced children’s digital addiction so much? It seemed like they used to say the same thing about TV or video games.
@RobertBobert It's more about the worsening of kid's attention spans and social skills due to short-form video content like Tiktok, Instagram Reels, Youtube Shorts (notice how it's expanding to more and more platforms) rather than the advancements of ipads themselves. But "Ipad Kid" is just the term I mainly see used to talk about those affected by it.

I can admit that maybe it is the same thing that used to be said, but this is criticizing a certain subculture of digital entertainment that is predatory for instant dopamine to younger kids rather than digital entertainment as a whole.
2 hours ago

Jul 2021
Reply to RobertBobert
@Commit_Crime Well, it doesn't make much sense for me to use Instagram. Unless, once every 100 years, look at photos of your favorite musicians and read idiotic comments from random people about them, lmao.

@JaniSIr @Dumb And this has become a cult global trend that people talk about everywhere? Just 10-15 years ago this would have been just another “weird trend” for chronic imageboard visitors.
@RobertBobert Skibidi toilet is part of what people "lovingly" call brain rot, and it sort of refers to a collection of internet trends that are popular among kids, and generally make no sense, especially when multiple of them are used in a sentence.
And while 10 year olds might unironically use it, if they were exposed enough to the English speaking internet, how most adults came to know about it is people talking about kids talking about it, like how we do right now...
By itself it is just a shitpost with up to hundreds of millions of views per YouTube short, but in the larger context it's just a face of internet trends among kids in general, that can be used to demonstrate the weirdness of it all.
2 hours ago

Apr 2012
Reply to Dumb
@RobertBobert It's more about the worsening of kid's attention spans and social skills due to short-form video content like Tiktok, Instagram Reels, Youtube Shorts (notice how it's expanding to more and more platforms) rather than the advancements of ipads themselves. But "Ipad Kid" is just the term I mainly see used to talk about those affected by it.

I can admit that maybe it is the same thing that used to be said, but this is criticizing a certain subculture of digital entertainment that is predatory for instant dopamine to younger kids rather than digital entertainment as a whole.
@Dumb How was the obsession with social networks, primitive games and useless photos once criticized through criticism of the obsession with smartphones in general? What were TVs or computers like back in the day?

@JaniSIr And do kids really like this?
RobertBobert2 hours ago
1 hour ago

Jun 2020
Reply to RobertBobert
@Dumb How was the obsession with social networks, primitive games and useless photos once criticized through criticism of the obsession with smartphones in general? What were TVs or computers like back in the day?

RobertBobert said:
How was the obsession with social networks, primitive games and useless photos once criticized through criticism of the obsession with smartphones in general? What were TVs or computers like back in the day?

We're talking about the 20's and not the past. All I was mentioning was that today it's been very noticeable there's predatory entertainment out there labeled "brain rot" like JaniSIr explained and I mentioned earlier, the kids who consume it and are negatively affected by it are labeled "Ipad Kids" and one of the specific examples of that brain rot is "Skibidi Toilet" which in particular grew so large that there's merchandise as you've seen. Nothing else to waste time discussing.
1 hour ago

Apr 2012
Reply to Dumb
RobertBobert said:
How was the obsession with social networks, primitive games and useless photos once criticized through criticism of the obsession with smartphones in general? What were TVs or computers like back in the day?

We're talking about the 20's and not the past. All I was mentioning was that today it's been very noticeable there's predatory entertainment out there labeled "brain rot" like JaniSIr explained and I mentioned earlier, the kids who consume it and are negatively affected by it are labeled "Ipad Kids" and one of the specific examples of that brain rot is "Skibidi Toilet" which in particular grew so large that there's merchandise as you've seen. Nothing else to waste time discussing.
@Dumb I just want to draw a parallel with older things to better understand the things you are talking about. But if you think it's excessive, then no problem.
1 hour ago

Jun 2020
Reply to RobertBobert
@Dumb I just want to draw a parallel with older things to better understand the things you are talking about. But if you think it's excessive, then no problem.
@RobertBobert My bad, I guess I did come off a bit rude I'm sorry :P. I just wanted to give an answer and leave, I'm really just not in the mood for a debate or conversation but I guess that it was what this forum is for.

But yeah older stuff is out of my age range to be knowledgable of so I can't really go in-depth about it like I could for modern topics.
1 hour ago

Jul 2021
Reply to RobertBobert

@RobertBobert According to testimonials, yes. I don't interact with kids often, and I would assume the language barrier localises these to English-speaking countries, so I can't personally confirm... But you don't get 200 million+ views on such a large number of videos if there is no audience.
I did see kids unironically talk about Fortnite dances though.
1 hour ago

Apr 2012
Reply to Dumb
@RobertBobert My bad, I guess I did come off a bit rude I'm sorry :P. I just wanted to give an answer and leave, I'm really just not in the mood for a debate or conversation but I guess that it was what this forum is for.

But yeah older stuff is out of my age range to be knowledgable of so I can't really go in-depth about it like I could for modern topics.
@Dumb No problem, it's just that your description reminded me of the times when the TV was called the most popular babysitter, or when the computer was blamed for any criticized social changes among young people.

@JaniSIr That is, if before memes were a special culture, then in the 20s memes became the very essence of popular culture?
1 hour ago
white angel

Feb 2024
Clash of transhumanism and posthumanism.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
1 hour ago

Apr 2024
i sometimes ask myself if you're brainiac or smth like this to always have pertinent subject on forum
Currently madly in love with my babygirl Laura Kinney๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’› (yes i'm horny)
57 minutes ago

Jul 2021
Reply to RobertBobert
@Dumb No problem, it's just that your description reminded me of the times when the TV was called the most popular babysitter, or when the computer was blamed for any criticized social changes among young people.

@JaniSIr That is, if before memes were a special culture, then in the 20s memes became the very essence of popular culture?
@RobertBobert You could make the argument that memes are mainstream at this point.
People also made the argument that calling it "brain rot" is part of the cycle of hating the next generation that has been going on since ancient Greece.
But what is concerning here, is how much algorithms have been optimized for maximum screen time, even if it's detrimental to the users.
53 minutes ago

Apr 2012
Reply to JaniSIr
@RobertBobert You could make the argument that memes are mainstream at this point.
People also made the argument that calling it "brain rot" is part of the cycle of hating the next generation that has been going on since ancient Greece.
But what is concerning here, is how much algorithms have been optimized for maximum screen time, even if it's detrimental to the users.
@JaniSIr I just got the impression that modern pop culture just yesterday was the culture of imageboard visitors. For example, while promoting movies through memes was once considered a countercultural tactic for weebs, now expensive Hollywood films are making billions thanks to savvy meme campaigns on social media.
21 minutes ago
Oct 2023
I know vtubers started prior to 2020, but thanks to covid, the success of hololive in the west, and subsequent boost via VShojo, I would think vtubers has solidified at the very least a solid part of streaming culture.

More topics from this board

» when cooking, do you follow the recipe exactly or do you diverge?

TheBlockernator - 7 hours ago

14 by luffysenchou »»
26 minutes ago

» What is something you feel you're never gonna achieve, but are willing to keep trying till the end of time?

EmiliaHoarfrost - 9 hours ago

21 by Nette »»
2 hours ago

» everyone thinks my cat is fat

reysune - Sep 29

46 by AverageRiceFan »»
2 hours ago

» What was your first scary youtube video (IE: Your first screamer, the first freaky video)

TheBlockernator - Sep 30

11 by karioka- »»
2 hours ago

» Is the English language over?

LenRea - Yesterday

24 by ryan77999 »»
3 hours ago
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.