Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

The author's explanation regarding the reason why Saki offered Asamura her body.

New
Jul 18, 10:53 AM
Oct 2015
Why did Saki suddenly imitate a night crawl (Yobai)? This was an event that happened because several disparate points were connected in a fatally misaligned way in her mind. The triggers leading up to the act can be laid out individually as follows:

(1) Saki is not that brilliant by nature, needs to put all her energy into her studies and wants to earn maximum money in minimum time

(2) Half-hearted advice of ' depending on others'

(3) She understood the existence of Yuuta's sexual desire

(4) The option of high paying part-time job = prostitution, was always in her mind

(5) She subconsciously "hoped" that even if Yuuta caused a "thing", it would not lead to a decisive breakdown of the relationship and that he would calmly build up the relationship in the future.

The above was roughly input into Saki's mind, and as a result of the logic that was built up in her mind, it led to that act.

(1) It is expressed in the fact that she does not participate in PE classes and listens to English material on her way to school without fail. She honestly thinks Yuuta is great because he balances his studies and part-time job because she is still lacking and has excellent grades, and she believes that he must be excellent to begin with.

(2) Saki does not yet understand the concept of relying on someone for free. Hence, she believes that even if she receives money from her family, she has to offer something. On top of that, as Yuuta was gradually showing her how she could rely on him like a 'big brother', Saki was also gradually becoming unknowingly spoilt like a 'little sister', and the option of 'relying on Yuuta' came to mind. However, she couldn't interpret "relying on him" as "relying on him gratis", and she thought that she had to give him something.

(3) The thought in (2) above and 'recognising the existence of Yuuta's sexual desire' meshed fatally. If Yuuta has sexual interest in Saki, it can be said that this living together life will be something that he will be forced to endure, and an awkward moment may come one day. If that is the case, then she thought that if they were to form such a relationship with each other, the awkwardness would only be temporary, Yuuta would be able to resolve his desires, and she would only have to spend an hour or so in the house and get the money that Yuuta would earn from working for hours - the value of what they provide would be balanced. In the original novel, Yuuta says things like "If you say that, then I want to be paid for the food", but Saki did not realise that it was something for which she could only receive money. More precisely, Saki could not handle the guilt of accepting Yuuta's time-earned money without going so far. Cooking is not difficult or painful for her. She felt that she had to dedicate something that involves difficulty and suffering to be balanced. This is also because Yuuta "wasn't a bad person". This is where the meaning of what she said last time, that she would have felt more comfortable if Yuuta had been a bad person, rests. If he had been someone who didn't have to feel guilty about skimming off the family's finances, she could have told him to do nothing and ask them to pay the full cost of going to university. But you can't say that to two members of the Asamura family - or at least that's what Saki thinks.

(4) The option of 'high-paying job = prostitution' was always in Saki's mind. However, Saki is indeed not thinking only in terms of money efficiency. She understands that there are risks involved, so she is carefully considering whether she should take that risk and decide that she should not take the risk yet. But if she had succeeded in doing this to Yuuta, she would probably have gone on to prostitute herself to other people. She will get used to it, and one day she will definitely realise that the amount of money is still not enough from just one person. It means that sometimes, after thinking things over and making a calm, rational decision, you can end up doing something that is "generally not recommended". However, Yuuta's clear rejection here has eliminated the future of her going down that path.

(5) This is the part where Saki has unknowingly become misaligned. She has unknowingly held the expectation that Yuuta, who sees her in a flat way, would understand everything and approve of Saki's actions. There is another thing that Saki "expected" from Yuuta. She hoped that he would not try to break up the family and that he would keep it a secret from her parents. Yuuta cares for his father, Taichi. He is very depressed after his ex-wife's betrayal and sees him as desperate. He is often appalled at his father's lack of self-confidence, his tallness and the way he looks down his nose, but he is relieved to see his father's happy face, including these aspects, and he does not want to ruin that time. As for Akiko, she has probably been through a lot to get to where she is now, but seeing her happy and smiling face, she thinks that this environment must be wonderful for both of them. And Yuuta anticipated that Saki would be thinking the same thing. (This 'expectation' is, in other words, an 'expectation', so Yuuta himself will reflect on the fact that he had 'expected' without reconciling the two.) However, if Yuuta and Saki were to have an impure relationship of domestic prostitution, if that were to become known to their parents, their happy faces would surely be clouded. It is an act that could lead to the break-up of the family. The reason why Saki initiated it despite the fact that it was an act that could lead to the collapse of the current family was because she 'hoped' that Yuuta would behave in a way that would prevent that from happening, but 'being controlled by expectations' was what Yuuta disliked the most. This is the point where Yuuta condemned Saki's behaviour by saying 'that's the type of person I hate the most'.

Both Yuuta and Saki misunderstood each other a little bit. Saki thinks Yuuta would be fine with this. This slight 'assumption' led to a fatal discrepancy. So they decided to talk a bit more about their roots, and then they went on to talk about each other's separated parents.

You can read the author's full commentary here here
ShiroHachiJul 18, 9:48 PM
Jul 18, 11:03 AM
Apr 2024
I ain't reading allat. Im joking
Jul 18, 11:17 AM
Mar 2021
Thank you, I needed this explanation. This show is too good.
Jul 18, 11:29 AM

Jun 2021
dont worry, i read all of it. Thanks for the explanation. i understand better now
Jul 18, 12:07 PM
Oct 2022
thank you, I really needed an explanation after she just did that without any buildup.

i understood a bit from the diary flashbacks but this is clearer
Jul 18, 12:13 PM

Mar 2017
I didn't need it explained tbh, brainrot has really taken hold of anime watchers.
Jul 18, 12:15 PM

Oct 2011
Thank you for the detailed explanation
Jul 18, 12:36 PM
Dec 2023
this is what I'm talking about

I went into this show thinking it's going to be a shitty incest anime, but so far every ep has forced me to stfu and watch WITHOUT SKIPPING

thanks for your explanation

man, it's hard not to read the LN with this quality anime adaptation
Jul 18, 12:45 PM
Dec 2018
What episode are you guys at? Last episode I saw out was episode 2 on Abema. I didn't see Saki trying to prostitute.
Jul 18, 12:59 PM

Feb 2021
DragyG said:
What episode are you guys at? Last episode I saw out was episode 2 on Abema. I didn't see Saki trying to prostitute.

Episode 3, it’s out on Crunchyroll
Jul 18, 1:00 PM
Dec 2018
MadanielFL said:
DragyG said:

Episode 3, it’s out on Crunchyroll

Ho I see so it's next tuesday's
Jul 18, 2:05 PM
May 2022
DragyG said:

This happens around the middle of episode 3.
Jul 18, 2:45 PM

Jul 2021
there's tasuuketsu and then there's this. both are painfully indirect, one is extremely fast and the other extremely slow.

btw i appreciate the explanation and all, but even within points (like 1, 2, 3...), paragraph division wouldn't be out of place, or rather, it would help a lot. Delineating each idea with a space really makes the whole message clearer and easier to internalize and understand.

Imaginewritingwithoutspaces.Thesearewordsbutwithoutproperspacingthey'vebecomereallyhardtoreadandunderstand.Iknowitseemslikeanexageration,butlinespacesarethesame.
Jul 18, 2:46 PM
Dec 2020
Lol anime failed to convey it well
I don't think this anime not my taste
I got spoilers from LN about slow pace story wrapped in slice of life things
Mc and heroine kuudere introvert make me boring watching this show, especially since the atmosphere is quiet.
ThisRealZeroJul 18, 2:50 PM
Jul 18, 3:14 PM

Jan 2021
This series really live to what i heard about.
spiritual successor of lord rothchild.
Jul 18, 3:31 PM

Jul 2021
Thanks for the detailed write-up, but I'm not entirely convinced.

I'm sorry, but if the author (?) and the anime writers wanted to say something, they should have said it through the work itself, not by attaching an essay next to it. As things are, the moment came without much build-up and felt a bit out of character to me, and the resolution felt unnatural and hand-wavy.

I would have just accepted a simple explanation that Saki was irresistibly attracted to Yuuta, both as a person and a romantic partner.

Or that Saki had issues with control and "balance" and desperately wanted to take charge of their relationship somehow (which was my interpretation of events).

We understand Saki wants money fast and why. But it makes no sense that she would get money from her family to... become independent from her family. Also, Yuuta already said that he felt bad relying on her cooking without "paying her back," so it wasn't like she has only been on the receiving end. Even if she thought cooking was trivial, paying him back "with her body" feels like an insane leap to me. Besides, she explicitly suggested "paying" for her body, which means cooking has nothing to do with this "transaction"...?

There was no indication that Saki was "expecting" Yuuta to accept her advances and stay discreet about it to protect the family. In any case, isn't that a form of "relying on" Yuuta again, which is what Saki wants to avoid?

Also, Saki interpreting Yuuta's "not UNinterested in her" and "not acting on his urges" comments as a green light is ridiculous and a little disturbing.

All this extra talk of "expectations", admiration for Yuuta, the "inevitability" of things becoming romantic and the sex industry feel a little overexplained and not really necessary, even if they're mildly interesting ideas. I wish they kept things simple, or actually put these things into the anime itself.
Jul 18, 3:48 PM
Aug 2019
Exactly what I was thinking, thanks for clearing my thoughts.
Jul 18, 3:51 PM
Dec 2023
thanks for the explanation!
Jul 18, 5:15 PM

Dec 2010
Well, that is a very thorough explanation. I think it was pretty clear how the misunderstanding came about but carving out the details of each point was nice.

Jul 18, 5:50 PM
Jul 2024
Reply to Rezurrekt
Well, that is a very thorough explanation. I think it was pretty clear how the misunderstanding came about but carving out the details of each point was nice.
@Rezurrekt I wondered how that ending had come about. At least he turned her down.
Jul 18, 6:39 PM
Mar 2023
Yuri_Daiya said:

I went into this show thinking it's going to be a shitty incest anime, but so far every ep has forced me to stfu and watch WITHOUT SKIPPING

You skip? I watch every single minute of even the most boring anime
Jul 18, 7:33 PM
Oct 2020
Reply to BipulGamer07
Yuri_Daiya said:

You skip? I watch every single minute of even the most boring anime
@BipulGamer07 If I can't stand to watch every minute I drop the damn thing.
Jul 18, 7:34 PM
Oct 2022
Thank you for your valuable explanation,I really like this anime.Maybe I'll start reading the LN's someday.
Jul 18, 7:55 PM
May 2017
Reply to Sheol01
@Rezurrekt I wondered how that ending had come about. At least he turned her down.
@Sheol01 He not only turned her down -- a tough decision -- but he gave her the support she needs and the certainty the feelings she nurtures for him are positive and will source happiness for them. Interesting, she was the first to say he should not expect anything and nothing would happen, but she allowed herself to know him...
Mene, mene, tekel, parsin
Jul 18, 8:06 PM
Jul 2021
I’m not here to hate on the anime, but i’d really like to know what the anime is trying to accomplish. I understand that it’s definitely not your run of the mill ecchi/incest anime from the atmosphere and topics it tries to touch on. But if anyone has read the LN I’d like to know the main narrative it’s trying to convey cuz I’m at a loss after these 3 episodes. Almost feels like it’s trying really hard to talk about loads of different topics and smush them into one anime and it’s kind of just not making sense to me at this point.
Jul 18, 9:29 PM
Oct 2015
kyo_1 said:
I’m not here to hate on the anime, but i’d really like to know what the anime is trying to accomplish. I understand that it’s definitely not your run of the mill ecchi/incest anime from the atmosphere and topics it tries to touch on. But if anyone has read the LN I’d like to know the main narrative it’s trying to convey cuz I’m at a loss after these 3 episodes. Almost feels like it’s trying really hard to talk about loads of different topics and smush them into one anime and it’s kind of just not making sense to me at this point.

As far as I've read, these two MCs are too serious because of their bad experiences as children, they are both afraid of expectations because of their parents' experiences, so they are very careful with other people, they were forced to "grow up" too quickly. Volume 1 is a bit rougher than the rest because the author wanted to emphasize their characters, so it completely understandable why you think their conversation is very strange. Starting from the next volume it will feel much more natural and that starts from next week's episode in the anime
ShiroHachiJul 18, 9:34 PM
Jul 18, 10:13 PM
Aug 2021
Such an excellent explanation. This has honestly been a pleasant surprise so far, obviously the premise made me a little…hesitant lol but it’s been quality so far. And I was hesitant because it was deen but holy hell the production has been fine and the art and direction has certainly been above average
Jul 18, 11:17 PM

Jan 2023
Thanks for taking the time to write that explanation.
It made things a bit more clear for me, although I don't think I understand everything yet about what happened there.

I'm also somewhat lost on other aspects of the show, but Saki's pov yesterday helped make me understand things a bit more clearly at least :)
Jul 19, 2:47 AM
Jul 2019
thank you for explaining 🥹
Jul 19, 5:48 AM
May 2022
Thank you for the explanation, also to Author-san. But was it really that hard to get? The whole show feels different, for me there was no need to explain that this goes deeper than "Okay, f**k all the personal growth, lets throw everyting out the window and make an almost-s*x-scene just for the sake of it/drama".
It was kinda clear that she did this because she got some things wrong, has issues in believing in giving without taking,hence why that cooking thing even exists. But also for me it moreso seemed like a good device to get them into that talk at night while still giving it some emotional direction and weight different than a simple "Can we talk?". Which would've been even more out of character to be honest. It was kinda her way to get to this conversation, feeling safe that he would indeed not do anything, because even if he was sexually attracted, she knew he would not simply act on it just because.
Jul 19, 6:24 AM
Sep 2022
Reply to perseii

I'm sorry, but if the author (?) and the anime writers wanted to say something, they should have said it through the work itself, not by attaching an essay next to it. As things are, the moment came without much build-up and felt a bit out of character to me, and the resolution felt unnatural and hand-wavy.

I would have just accepted a simple explanation that Saki was irresistibly attracted to Yuuta, both as a person and a romantic partner.

Or that Saki had issues with control and "balance" and desperately wanted to take charge of their relationship somehow (which was my interpretation of events).

We understand Saki wants money fast and why. But it makes no sense that she would get money from her family to... become independent from her family. Also, Yuuta already said that he felt bad relying on her cooking without "paying her back," so it wasn't like she has only been on the receiving end. Even if she thought cooking was trivial, paying him back "with her body" feels like an insane leap to me. Besides, she explicitly suggested "paying" for her body, which means cooking has nothing to do with this "transaction"...?

There was no indication that Saki was "expecting" Yuuta to accept her advances and stay discreet about it to protect the family. In any case, isn't that a form of "relying on" Yuuta again, which is what Saki wants to avoid?

Also, Saki interpreting Yuuta's "not UNinterested in her" and "not acting on his urges" comments as a green light is ridiculous and a little disturbing.

All this extra talk of "expectations", admiration for Yuuta, the "inevitability" of things becoming romantic and the sex industry feel a little overexplained and not really necessary, even if they're mildly interesting ideas. I wish they kept things simple, or actually put these things into the anime itself.
@perseii Well said! I totally agree.
Jul 19, 6:29 AM
Aug 2018
Thanks for the great explanation. I read it all and it helped a lot!
Jul 19, 7:07 AM
Mar 2021
This explanation is very needed. The anime badly conveyed it.
Jul 19, 7:15 AM
Mar 2021
Reply to perseii

perseii said:
We understand Saki wants money fast and why. But it makes no sense that she would get money from her family to... become independent from her family. Also, Yuuta already said that he felt bad relying on her cooking without "paying her back," so it wasn't like she has only been on the receiving end. Even if she thought cooking was trivial, paying him back "with her body" feels like an insane leap to me. Besides, she explicitly suggested "paying" for her body

That's what broken home can do to children. If you ever exchanging thoughts with them, such wtf leap of "logic" is normal. Not all obviously, but certainly common among them.
Jul 19, 9:18 AM
Apr 2023
Idk about the LN but the anime is so boring. I don't mind slow paced stories but this one seems to be a bad adaptation from the LN which makes It so much boring to watch.
The motivations of the two main characters for doing what they do isn't explained in a proper way and It is mostly confusing.
Furthermore, the personality of both is the worst bc they talk with such confidence in statements that if you thought about them just for a second you would realize thet they don't make any sense. The worst part is that they try to make them sound deep or something, tf. The characters honestly feel like a 15 year old wrote them to try reasuring his false superior maturity and sensitivity over others around, ridiculous and pretentious.(at least in the anime)
The explanation you gave is honestly much better than the anime has done im 23 mins, still don't like the characters at all, Ima give It a few more episodes and if It continious to suck I'll be dropping this one.
Jul 19, 11:50 AM

Sep 2018
Interesting insight, an anime adaptation is always going to be less detailed than a novel. However, I don't think reading this is mandatory to understand the anime because...

ShiroHachi said:
She understands that there are risks involved, so she is carefully considering whether she should take that risk and decide that she should not take the risk yet. But if she had succeeded in doing this to Yuuta, she would probably have gone on to prostitute herself to other people.

...THIS is extremely obvious, considering the situation. Did people really need this spoonfed to them? For the first time I have to agree with those who complain that anime in general rely too much on exposition dumps and not enough on "show don't tell".
Jul 19, 2:08 PM

Oct 2014
I don’t need this but I read it all anyway.

The subtle nuances in the show may have been enough to not bail out when things seemed going the weird way at first.
Jul 19, 2:18 PM
Dec 2015
Reply to ShiroHachi
kyo_1 said:

As far as I've read, these two MCs are too serious because of their bad experiences as children, they are both afraid of expectations because of their parents' experiences, so they are very careful with other people, they were forced to "grow up" too quickly. Volume 1 is a bit rougher than the rest because the author wanted to emphasize their characters, so it completely understandable why you think their conversation is very strange. Starting from the next volume it will feel much more natural and that starts from next week's episode in the anime
@ShiroHachi Thanks for the added explanation.
As for kyo_1 - I'm actually content with the setting, they're trying to navigate their new situation/relationship. It's subtle, and I enjoy trying to figure out both perspectives. The only issue I have is how "quickly" this all progressed, it'd feel a bit better if everything didn't happen one day after another. From the meetup before moving in and saying "yeah I'm cool without expectations towards you" and then going into relatively deep conversations in day 2 of living together....
But I don't know. I might be nitpicking
Edit:
Also I might have posted this in the wrong thread, sorry
Jul 19, 5:18 PM

Jul 2017
I wish a bit of this was conveyed in the anime kind of like the books expressed with the scene when reading it, even if nowhere near as detailed. Even with a couple lines and maybe condensing some stuff from earlier in the episode instead since this was an important part. The last episode's diary reel was good but those scenes with Saki offering her body to Asamura felt too short to understand the true depth being her actions there, or even make appropriate assumptions about it. The explanations offered by the author are cool to have as extra stuff but some of the beats explained here are pretty major towards Saki's characterization and it felt a bit lacking in the anime version of the episode at least. Changes happen in adaptations, some ignored and some altered but it should still convey enough of what anime adaptations are trying to go for to the viewers and not leave anyone necessarily lost completely unless its intentional, which isn't exactly the case here with how it is presented. Still think it's been a solid anime so far and the directing has been interesting to watch but this was something that could have been a bit more focused on.
animejasJul 19, 5:21 PM
Jul 20, 12:47 AM

Dec 2015
It turns out that she is just a stupid girl who is on the verge of becoming a prostitute
Jul 20, 3:50 PM
Jul 2021
ShiroHachi said:
kyo_1 said:

right thanks a lot. It feels like both characters have already lived 70 years from the stuff they talk about 🤣.
Jul 22, 2:23 AM
Jul 2023
thank you so much for the explanation. it was long but worth it. you're a legend for helpin us understand🙏
Jul 23, 5:16 PM

Aug 2022
OP, I appreciate that you posted this here! Thanks a million!

However, I'll have to side with some of the folks here who felt that the anime did not effectively establish most of these details that would end up being the cause of Saki's "night crawl". The creative leads for the show could have done a far better job at setting up the scene, instead of coming off as some out-of-the-blue moment for a rather serious show such as this.

perseii said:

I concur.

animejas said:
those scenes with Saki offering her body to Asamura felt too short to understand the true depth being her actions there, or even make appropriate assumptions about it. The explanations offered by the author are cool to have as extra stuff but some of the beats explained here are pretty major towards Saki's characterization and it felt a bit lacking in the anime version of the episode at least.

Exactly.
Jul 25, 1:20 PM

Dec 2014
Reply to perseii

@perseii Well put.

It feels like the author (or the director/writers) is trying to make this story seem "smarter" than its supposed to be. It gives off a pretentious vibe as if I'm expected to just accept the poor pacing and non-existent "show but don't tell" just because the director wants to be creative with different camera shots. I think if the author has to come out and clarify then they are doing a pretty bad job, the author could be to blame as well but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt as I haven't read the LN.
IceOfDarknessJul 25, 1:24 PM
Yesterday, 8:24 AM

Nov 2019
Wasn't it just a few minutes previously that she mentioned the rumours regarding to her mother's 'night activities' and expressed her desire not wanting to rely on her 'natural-born assets'? Where did that determination go? Or rather, what went wrong in the creator's mind at that moment, I wonder? Cum pouring into his brain while his hand holding the baseball bat in the shape of a penis? You only need one hand to write, I guess.
SgtBateManYesterday, 8:27 AM
Help! I need somebody. Help! Not just anybody. Help! You know I need someone. Helpppppp!

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gimai Seikatsu Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jul 25

57 by 12yoHentaiCritic »»
37 minutes ago

Poll: » Gimai Seikatsu Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

ARK-13 - Jun 23

104 by Komlan_6 »»
Yesterday, 4:30 PM

Poll: » Gimai Seikatsu Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

ARK-13 - Jun 23

156 by Komlan_6 »»
Yesterday, 3:45 PM

Poll: » Gimai Seikatsu Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

ARK-13 - Jun 23

125 by RAPedroso »»
Jul 25, 1:09 PM

» Opening and Ending

ARK-13 - Jul 4

1 by ARK-13 »»
Jul 25, 8:14 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.