Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jun 18, 4:20 AM

Oct 2010
Frieren has become my favorite anime, and I hold a deep appreciation for it. I'm curious, how did you feel watching this show? What did you enjoy the most?

The main reason I enjoyed Frieren is the profound messages and reflections on life and human relationships. Frieren, being an immortal elf, initially kept an emotional distance from humans due to their brief lives compared to hers. However, the story reveals that despite the fleeting nature of human lives, the moments we share are what truly give life its value.

One scene that beautifully highlights this is when Fern takes Frieren to see the sunrise. Frieren wasn't particularly moved by the sunrise itself, but she felt joy in seeing how much it meant to Fern. This moment shows how empathy and sharing experiences can strengthen bonds between people, even if we don't experience things the same way.

Another poignant scene is when Himmel gifts Frieren a ring with a clock in the background. This encapsulates how a moment is more than just its place in time; it's something that defines us and stays with us for life. It’s a beautiful reminder that significant moments transcend their chronological space.

The central message of the anime, to me, is that life is worthwhile because of the emotional connections we make and the meaningful moments we share, even if this leads to some eventual sorrow. Frieren reminds us that life shouldn't be about avoiding risks, staying numb to avoid pain, or trying to create a perfect existence free of negative experiences. Life is each moment we experience, especially those that emotionally impact us. By avoiding others and being afraid to truly live, we end up not living at all. We see this in the way Frieren lives by herself, often sleeping and procrastinating. However, when she is with others, she goes on journeys, develops bonds, and creates long-lasting memories.

As Frieren gradually opens herself up, she begins to mourn for Himmel, and there is beauty in that. It would be more tragic if his passing didn't provoke anything within her. This suffering holds value and beauty, as it signifies the depth of their bond and the importance of their shared experiences. This is not to welcome or incentivize suffering, but to accept it and feel gratitude for what makes life special and worth living.

Frieren resonated deeply with me in how the beauty of life lies in its impermanence and the bonds we form with others, which give true meaning to our existence. It also emphasized the importance of empathy and being present for others, even if we don't fully understand their perspective or experiences.
Jun 18, 4:25 AM

Aug 2020
The importance of living special moments to the fullest with your close ones.

Jun 18, 4:28 AM

Jul 2022
The soundtrack is pretty good
Jun 18, 4:47 AM

Sep 2016
English is my 3rd language so sorry in advance.
It resonated with me really well too, most of its themes are something i have already seen, but frieren delivered as good or better (there are some that didnt of course but they dont ruin the overall experience for me) The melancholic vibes too, reminiscing of the past, but looking forward for new things and etc. characters aren’t annoying for me which is pretty rare with anime, for me atleast. The world building might not be as complex as others nor does the author put much attention on it, but it has enough details to make it feel alive. Many small details that get more obvious when rewatching, its themes like how small minor details are way more important than the result of the bigger deed, how people only act like grown ups and need support all the time, how religion isnt shown as pure evil, how you only start to appreciate your loved ones to the fullest when they are gone and and many other things. Did i ever see this themes explored in other media? Of course, they arent something you wouldn’t think about from time to time, but frieren worked better for me.
Jun 18, 4:52 AM

Sep 2016
What did you enjoy the most about Frieren?
  • Music
  • Direction
  • Animation
  • Powerful females
  • Decent comedy
  • Subtle fanservice
  • Calm atmosphere
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Jun 18, 5:03 AM
Isekai Trucker

Oct 2015
The slow slice of life fantasy moments. Basically them just walking and doing small stuff. Also the small comedy parts like getting eaten by a fake chest. Frierens obsession of grimoires was funny as well. I didn't care much about the fighting though but those happen in series.
"You only realize the real value of something you discarded when you get the chance to pick it up again." - Rudeus Greyrat
Jun 18, 5:12 AM
May 2021
I definitely feel the same as you described, plus I loved the general atmosphere and music, like, the ambience just had so much charm, I have no idea how else to describe it. It was very comforting and I can't wait for the next season to exoirience those feelings again. 💗
Jun 18, 5:14 AM
May 2022
Watching it every Friday. 🫣
Jun 18, 6:39 AM
Mar 2021
-Subtle story telling
-Well balanced pacing
-28 episodes (works well with the pacing to build the world/characters without squeezing It into 12 eps)
-Complex characters
-A fresh take on the fantasy genre in relation to magic and the way the world evolves over time
-Top tier animation (Frieren vs Frieren...)
-Good comedy
-the Soundtrack enhances the show's tone

Tldr: Everything that makes an anime good.
Jun 18, 7:05 AM

Feb 2021
I mean, isn't it the greatest anime ever made?
So pretty much everything on it is better than any other show.
Jun 18, 7:07 AM
Aug 2022
her autistic traits and the way she try to understand human and their feelings
Jun 18, 8:30 AM
Mar 2023
The message that resonated with me the most is cherishing the small moments with those you love. Life is like a vapor so cherish every moment with those you care about no matter what it may be. I think that message is extremely relevant now more than ever with everyone being absorbed in social media and the hectic cycle of life.
Jun 18, 8:45 AM
Jun 2023
OSTs, tranquil atmosphere,sol moments,character interactions and the party flashbacks.
Jun 18, 9:23 AM
Apr 2017
Obviously elf feet.
Jun 18, 10:16 AM
Mar 2023
I like slice of life animes, where every chapter is a new adventure but the same goal always remains
Jun 18, 10:34 AM
Mar 2023
JoeChip said:
@Astridd_

While Frieren has some slice of life elements it's not truly a slice of life though

yeah, fantasy, aventure, but I like slice of life part the most
though my favorite arc is the city of gold
Jun 18, 11:59 AM
Apr 2021
müzikleri güzeldi sadece
Jun 18, 12:11 PM
Feb 2021
My favourite is the bond between Frieren and Fern. It is so touching to me how Fern is always scolding Frieren although technically Frieren is the Teacher and Fern the pupil but Frieren just takes it, she doesn't have the big ego thing. You can tell how much they love and understand each other. That's the whole thing with this series it's show don't tell. But the (few) haters don't get it
Jun 18, 12:36 PM
Oct 2022
What I enjoyed the most about Sousou no Frieren was the desire to explore and find new things. The adventures, amazing battles, Himmel’s party and how they defeat a lot of demons, Frieren’s unbeatable experiences along with Flamme and Himmel, how Frieren taught Fern to use magic in a more proper way and be a great mage at Heiter’s advice, how truly the hero Himmel was back when he lived.

Indeed Frieren holds a special place in my heart, it was the best anime so far for me and I can’t wait to see more of it. Animation, OP/ED songs, characters, graphics were the best.
Jun 18, 3:03 PM
Apr 2024
MKIkawa said:
The soundtrack is pretty good

...yep.

Thank you Baconator and everybody for your descriptive thoughts/posts on this wonderful series. A show that has clearly helped expand the overall popularity of anime for everyone.

For me(and many others), all areas of Frieren: Beyond Journey's End, were top-tier quality. Characters, story, pace, animation, balance - you name it, near flawless. This storytelling using flashbacks is very appealing to me... and it didn't drag IMO.

Music is very important to me. Whether listening w/earbuds, playing instruments, or enjoying OST for real films as well as anime. This work by Evan Call added so much depth to the series.

I could write a dozen+ pages on poignant/endearing moments throughout the series, that were emotionally amplified due to the stellar OST. IMO, it even blows away his other crusher, Violet Evergarden... Frieren has a massive barrage of selection in comparison, to me anyway.

Ep 10 is close second as favorite, but #1 is ep 15, music is prevalent throughout. First half knocked it silly with the sleepy/slog tune while party was trekking thru swamp looking for flower monster. Sein's inner-thoughts while fighting solo with OST hammering, awesome!!! (that track had been used earlier in series, but doesn't matter... it fit so well)

Second part of ep, more great work from Mr. Call. Whether it was Stark/Fern's class/etiquette training, or the dance scene at the ball in end: the OST greatly enhanced this ep and whole series in general.

With the whole concept of time being one of the main factors in the story, I am amazed how much the OST helped convey the progression of time so fluidly.

Ep 10 : After Flamma left planet, 1000 yrs or so in less than a couple minutes.

Ep ? : Frieren's party meet Kraft, and then spent Winter at cabin... many other instances as well.

The actual favorite track though is "Knife to the Throat" - First implemented (pretty certain) during Lena/Stark battle. The timing of piece in correlation with Lena's backstory of memorizing Eisen's fight style was most excellent, as brief as it was. It also came up during Ubel's fight with her clone... just exceptional stuff.
Jun 18, 3:46 PM
Nov 2020
I love everything about frieren from the characters to storyline everything is so well made in this series. I love all the main characters quite a lot. Specially frieren, fern, himmel and stark became some of my favorites
Jun 18, 6:09 PM
Mar 2023
I'll give the normie answer and just say that my favourite aspect about Frieren is the big flashy fights. The other stuff is great too, but damn is it satisfying to see perfectly executed 2D animation.
Jun 18, 7:24 PM
May 2024
frieren herself.
Jun 18, 9:56 PM
Aug 2023
i love it because it's simple yet complex at the same time.

on the surface it's just another adventure journey (which I love anyway) but the underthemes of time, journey, appreciating the little moments and friendships are what makes it so great.

characters aren't dense, or just have dense moments, they look more natural and feel more real, the soundtrack is incredible, the animation is the best I've seen in the last few years, it's an anime that shows the passing of time and it's consequences, which makes you appreciate life even more.

also the fact that it was 28 episodes was an incredible help, nothing was rushed, it seems as though you can see life through their eyes.

also, it convinced me to buy the manga, which only Mushoku Tensei has done yet. I also feel that I'd be able to write a few pages on Frieren and why it's so special in it's simplicity, but sometimes words are useless in describing something beautiful.
Jun 19, 12:58 AM
Mar 2023
World, characters building and the story attracted me.
Jun 19, 1:00 AM
Mar 2024
I like the calm and slightly sad feeling when telling the story.
Jun 19, 1:25 AM

Jun 2024
Himmel moments every few scenes.
Jun 19, 4:19 AM
Nov 2022
1. animation
2. soundtrack
3. story
Jun 19, 8:13 AM
Dec 2022
the lack of brainrot fan service
Jun 19, 12:35 PM
Dec 2021
I'll write a bit of a yapsession on all the things i found great about the anime.

First and foremost the beginning of the anime starts in a somewhat classic way but soon you're introduced to this almost absurdity of different perspectives between the characters you see. We follow Frieren who as a result of her age is so incredibly detached from human time and life that she's basically unrelatable. Throughout the anime I couldnt relate to Frieren but i always understood the perspective which she comes from as a result of her history and lifespan.
So i just found it mesmerizing how consistent and well written she was as a realistic old elf exploring the world. Some people described her as "stoic" or "emotionless" but no, shes incredibly emotional and not even too level headed but to her a 10 year adventure is like taking out the trash and stopping by to walk through a park for the day lmao.

It isn't just her though. The other characters all behave in a way thats consistent with their perspective and life prior to the adventure. Everything just fits well in how and why people act in all the ways they do and it extends to basically ALL characters. To add they're all well written, have realistic emotions, their stories are touching.

The dialog and storytelling are interesting too. No narrator and after all of the episodes i still don't know much about the lore? Why? Because the dialog has no deus ex machina esque fluff to it. Characters discuss what is to them relevant and important at the time. Who rules the kingdoms? Their armies? We don't know because the characters dont care and have no reason to talk about it. Its an anime where oddly enough the characters know significantly more than the viewer about what's happening unlike in most animes where we generally know more or less everything.
This spontaneous storytelling keeps the world mysterious and odd without feeling it forced in any way.

The story itself is interesting because its the weakest element. Really there were two or so arcs in the whole anime while the rest was individual episodes or two three episode mini arcs. The story just serves to help us discover the characters, find out more about them and explore how they work in the world. Really, the theme of the anime is just life, perspectives on life. All of the storyarcs just served to show us these perspectives of the characters we follow. Story for the sake of characters as opposed to characters for the sake of story.

All in all very lovely anime. It shows that great characters can carry a relative non-turbo plot into being an amazing anime. It's a unique spin on storytelling because "classical" writing does imply and dictate the importance of stories, antagonists. Frieren has had few real antagonists and most of them served as just other morally neutral people pushing their agenda and perspective. Excluding the demons, im glad the anime doesn't push this "good and bad" narrative.

The way the cliche idea of demons is portrayed is fascinating and unique id say, not to get into too many spoilers. Puts a bit of an odd twist on how its usually represented. In my opinion maybe too on the nose?

All in all the anime just excels at showcasing emotions and characters in a way that seems very natural for the character. It explores some topics of feeling, purpose, perspective. Just a well written show.
Jun 19, 2:23 PM
Jul 2022
The world building and characters are top notch.
Jun 19, 3:03 PM
Jul 2022
Do I need to add something more to it?
Jun 19, 5:39 PM
Aug 2019
I watch frieren for ubel's armpit
Jun 20, 2:30 AM
Dec 2021
fern's pouts top tier
Jun 21, 6:03 AM
Jul 2021
The show just made me feel peaceful while watching it.
Jun 21, 10:04 AM
May 2021
I would say two things:
-The most importante to me its the feeling of great adventure.That's the frist reason why I go to Frieren and that's also the first reason for my love for this Masterclass.(Action)-Adventure as long as I remember is my favourite genre in all time,and Frieren do that very well🤍.
-The importance of living special moments to the fullest with your close ones.
Jun 21, 11:07 AM
Feb 2010
The biggest reason for me is the moments. This is one of the first anime I have seen where I could point to almost every episode and highlight a hype scene. I could easily rewatch nearly any episode and it would ellicit strong feelings in me.

The only episodes I think were weak are 13 and 19. 13 no hype moments but 19 does have some moments but is just badly produced.

Regardless of that there are 27 episodes with hype moments. Most anime only have a handful of hype moments. These are moments when you heart is thumping and you could rewatch a scene over and over and not get bored. I am not even sure how it did it but it did. Here is my list of moments for each episode.

1: Himmel death/funeral
2: Fern flashback in the rain and Finding the flower on top of tower
3: Qual scenes
4: Flamme reveal and Himmel demon king castle scene
5: Heiter ghost scene and Stark strong reveal
6: Dragon fight and Eisen scared scenes
7: Himmel we are not fairy tales, Demon flashback, and the Just so you know I am strong scenes
8: Drat killed, Fern blasting lugner, Flamme is genius, and Frieren is demon slayer scenes
9: Fern and Stark battle especially like the lightning strike stark scene
10: Flamme finding Frieren, Flamme final request for flowers around grave, Himmel meeting Frieren, and Kill yourself
11: Graf finding his dead son, Funeral montage with song, Kraft & Heiter I will praise you scene
12: Himmel didn't pull the sword scene & Stark realizing his brother thought he was a good warrior
13:
14: Heiter head pats, Himmel proposal!!
15: Sein battle 5 seconds, Fern and Stark dance
16: Voll forgetting Frieren already set out to kill demon king and Frieren's reaction, Kraft is ancient hero
17: Sein goodbye & Himmel "not only children need emotional support"
18: Ubel/Kraft scene & Bird attacks Kanne at night
19: Frieren catches bird but is found by Denkin and Laufen plus the "This magic is enough for mages of this era" scene
20: Wirbel backstory & Ubel's analysis of him, Fern and Ehre battle, Serie reveal
21: Frieren breaks the barrier, Kanne defeats Richter with water, & Denkin throws hands to win bird
22: Himmel flashback of wanting to be remembered
23: Frieren Clone, Mimic scene
24: Ubel fight, Edel getting stabbed
25: Frieren and Fern fight, Serie and Flamme double flashback
26: Sense stabs Lawine and Richter, Ubel cuts a man in half & how she cuts people, Frieren clone black hole, Fern vs clone with Frieren death stare
27: Fern finds fixed staff and remembers Heiter flashback, Himmel and Frieren childhood flashback, Fern sees fluctuations and becomes first class
28: Wirbel story about Himmel small things, his amazing "Death isn't the only goodbye in this life" quote as well as Frieren's Don't worry Himmel the world has changed. The Frieren and Stark outside scene, Serie remembers every student, Fern laundry spell, Himmel quick goodbyes flashback

The fact that I can from memory remember all these hype scenes and that there are so many multiple per an episode even is crazy to me. It is amazing to me that people actually think this anime was slow. So many things happened.
igloo15Jun 21, 11:12 AM
Jun 21, 11:40 AM
Jan 2024
I could write a lot but honestly… the second opening is probably my favorite part of the show ironically
Jun 21, 11:58 AM

Nov 2020
The most in Frieren, I liked Frieren xD🤍
Jun 21, 2:01 PM
Feb 2017
I very much enjoyed the action choreography. I love the story and characters as well, but Frieren should be the standard when it comes to fight scenes. They are actually competent and respectable, and not just a fireworks show captured in 360° motion at 10 billion mph. JJK and Chainsaw Man are still very solid but this is what seperates them from a show as beautiful as Frieren.
Jun 21, 5:57 PM
Apr 2024
Overrated af the best part was the op by yaosobi
Jun 21, 9:26 PM
May 2014
What I enjoyed the most are the tons of lessons in life that is hidden in each adventure.

There are multiple life lessons that tackles what we will face in our lifetime.
Jun 22, 2:10 AM
Jul 2022
Armpit is definitely the best aspect of this anime for sure.
Jun 22, 11:20 AM
Jan 2021
I think the characters and themes just hits me in every spots, this is one of those things that will be appreciated more as time passes because of it's themes

Also I loved how much detailed was put in this anime, every rewatch you'll notice things that you haven't at first, there's so many instances of this that rewatching and really paying attention to it becomes really rewarding.
Jun 22, 11:22 AM
Jan 2021
Reply to arcfour
I very much enjoyed the action choreography. I love the story and characters as well, but Frieren should be the standard when it comes to fight scenes. They are actually competent and respectable, and not just a fireworks show captured in 360° motion at 10 billion mph. JJK and Chainsaw Man are still very solid but this is what seperates them from a show as beautiful as Frieren.
@arcfour i agree but chainsawman is definitely not just spectacle though, csm fight scenes are short and consice, straight to the point no dragging out, just telling it's story the way it should, this even become more apparent later in the manga.
Jun 22, 11:24 AM
Apr 2023
It is literally pure fantasy. I read a lot of fantasy books and the biggest two points that I need to be nailed is the world building and characterization of any character that’s introduced. I’m not lying when I say Frieren has already done a better job at these things than many fantasy series do by the end of their run time.
Jun 22, 11:31 AM

Jan 2009
the one that impact me the most is the episode about the old senile dwarf he forgotten his memories about her wife but the emotional memory of her remains to him so beautiful there
Jun 22, 6:44 PM
Mar 2024
Animation, world building, character development. It’s all top tier. I loved watching as she learned to understand her old party members as the anime progressed through those flashbacks with Himmel, Eisen and the corrupt priest. It ticked all the boxes for me, and I’m legally binded to give a show a 10/10 if it makes me cry.
Yesterday, 10:44 AM

Jul 2015
gimme dat flatelf

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sousou no Frieren Episode 28 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Mar 22

853 by Kamoon »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » Sousou no Frieren Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 3, 2023

440 by TEGA33 »»
Yesterday, 11:00 PM

Poll: » Sousou no Frieren Episode 27 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ShadowkillZ - Mar 15

380 by nickehhhhhh »»
Yesterday, 6:59 AM

Poll: » Sousou no Frieren Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 8

507 by nickehhhhhh »»
Yesterday, 6:30 AM

Poll: » Sousou no Frieren Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 1

255 by nickehhhhhh »»
Yesterday, 5:52 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.