Forum Settings
Forums

Do the websites we registered still know our password despite being secured with encryption?

New
Jun 3, 1:02 AM

Dec 2014
Per title, I understand that if hacker ever hacked into the server, they can't only get a random string of number, but how about the website owner himself, is he also has no way to know as well?
Signature removed. Check your inbox
Jun 3, 5:43 AM

Jun 2016
Not sure if our database guy has any special tricks up his sleeve (haven't asked, maybe a database guy can help) but I can't see any of our clients' passwords.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Jul 3, 7:08 AM
Osmanthus Mage

Apr 2020
I don't know how exactly it works, but afaik it depends. The passwords are usually hashed in the user's computer, something like SHA256 before it is sent to the server. So yeah, the owner probably can only see those random numbers.

Signatures are too distracting

^ visit my webby ^

Jul 3, 9:23 AM

Aug 2015
If it's a truly trustworthy website no, since the password with an added salt (random data to avoid rainbow table attacks if data leaks happen) is hashed (one way operation, can't be reversed) and stored in the DB on the client side. Note that there are some big "trustworthy" companies that don't even bother with it and just store the passwords in plain text or with a simple hash.

If it's a more shady website, there's nothing preventing the server-side application from logging your password and sending it to be stored on whatever. Of course there's TLS encryption, but that's on the path between client and server so it can't be read when intercepted, so when the password reaches the server it will be in plain text and the server can do anything it wants with it.

So, just be safe, it is always better to use different passwords for each website.

More topics from this board

» Zenless Zone Zero

deg - May 20, 2022

14 by nirererin »»
5 hours ago

» Where do you draw the line for the term "Visual Novel"?

Timeline_man - 11 hours ago

2 by Lucifrost »»
8 hours ago

» Bethesda Haters still taking L's

vasipi4946 - Jul 2

3 by KenaiPhoenix »»
Yesterday, 3:08 PM

» What are you playing right now? (v2) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Oct 4, 2020

3612 by iwasaloneforever »»
Yesterday, 6:58 AM

» Are you using Linux???

DesuMaiden - May 2

46 by traed »»
Jul 4, 4:02 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.