Forum Settings
Forums

A question, what is worse when it comes to a bad anime

New
May 25, 5:08 AM
Mar 2023
I've had anime that fit into the four options just from this season alone so it got me curious what people think is the worst when it comes to bad anime

Some addition context to the options

Option 1: a show that by either your personal metrics, or is just objectively horrible

Option 2: A series/show you started off liking but over time or the course of the show it just kept getting worse or just kept losing your interest

Option 3: a series or show you either expected to be good or had been recommended by people as something you might like and it turns out to be not what you had expected/envisioned

Option 4: A show where maybe you weren't the intended audience and none of the material landed for you ie a comedy anime that none of very few of the jokes landed or one where its style just doesn't connect with you at all
May 25, 5:09 AM

Feb 2020
Options 1 and 3 are the worst in my opinion.
May 25, 5:12 AM
Isekai Trucker

Oct 2015
Option 2 is what I would call the biggest issue I have when watching series nowadays. There are so many good series that start of good, funny and or interesting but then it falls flat after about 5 episode and ends badly. Usually, when it start to get serious in many series I kind of lose interest.
Grand Blue for example, is great from start to finish and series that have action like genre ends up badly mostly because they want to end the series. Possible too fast with a "problem arrives - "fix problem" - "everybody OK and happy" - The End.
AzuchiMay 25, 5:16 AM
"You only realize the real value of something you discarded when you get the chance to pick it up again." - Rudeus Greyrat
May 25, 5:21 AM
Mar 2023
Reply to Azuchi
Option 2 is what I would call the biggest issue I have when watching series nowadays. There are so many good series that start of good, funny and or interesting but then it falls flat after about 5 episode and ends badly. Usually, when it start to get serious in many series I kind of lose interest.
Grand Blue for example, is great from start to finish and series that have action like genre ends up badly mostly because they want to end the series. Possible too fast with a "problem arrives - "fix problem" - "everybody OK and happy" - The End.
@Azuchi I haven't seen grand blue but I get what you're saying, where it feels like they are skipping important things from the source material or everything is just moving too fast, like in unnamed memory this season it started off well imo but the last few episodes have left me thinking that I missed some major context/development
May 25, 5:21 AM

Sep 2016
2nd option is the biggest scumbag because these shows trick me into watching with a good start but then drop off massively, yet I still tend to finish them because of the previous time investment.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
May 25, 5:48 AM

Nov 2023
The second one, Its the hardest to call for a drop since you are disillusioned by the earlier segments, most of the time I just ended up suffering everything, It is painful and NOT a fun time. Even at the end its harder to write a review and some of them are like scored at most a 6, even though they deserved lower

The worst show I had in this is AOT, where its all of the above
Ratris_DecisionMay 25, 5:52 AM
May 25, 6:06 AM
Mar 2023
Reply to Ratris_Decision
The second one, Its the hardest to call for a drop since you are disillusioned by the earlier segments, most of the time I just ended up suffering everything, It is painful and NOT a fun time. Even at the end its harder to write a review and some of them are like scored at most a 6, even though they deserved lower

@Ratris_Decision ik what you mean watching those type of series is painful part of me hopes that the series returns to the show that I was enjoying but the other part of me knows that it probably won't and I'm just wasting time.
May 25, 6:07 AM
Mar 2023
Reply to Zarutaku
2nd option is the biggest scumbag because these shows trick me into watching with a good start but then drop off massively, yet I still tend to finish them because of the previous time investment.
@Zarutaku yup, the sunken cost fallacy wins far too often
May 25, 6:24 AM

Jul 2021
Second and Third, but I'm more disappointed with the Second point because I was fooled by the good beginning of the anime, while the anime got worse and worse as it went on. I usually avoid points 1 and 4 to maintain my mood, but I might do both if I'm in the mood to laugh at the awfulness of the anime.

๐•Š๐•™๐•š๐•ฃ๐•  - ๐•Š๐•–๐•š๐•ค๐•™๐•ฆ๐•Ÿ'๐•ค โ„™๐•๐•’๐•ช๐•๐•š๐•ค๐•ฅ
"Time doesn't heal anything, it just teaches us how to live with pain." —Itachi Uchiha
May 25, 6:28 AM

Jun 2011
When it's flat out horrible. If it starts good then get worse, I will probably still finish the show. If I had expectation for the series, I probably will finish one season to see if I am into it. If it's just flat out horrible, I'll just drop the series.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
May 25, 6:39 AM

Dec 2022
Options 2 and 3 can overlap if the watch initially "lives up to" expectations, though I generally avoid going in with high expectations (i.e. positive prejudice), so as to not influence my score. Still, if a watch proves to be intriguing in its first few episodes, only to suffer from degradation in quality later on, then it is disappointing regardless of my expectations of it.

๏ฝฒไน‡ๅˆ€ไน‡ไนƒๅฐบ๏พ‘ไน‡
ใŠŽ ใŠฐ
โ˜ฝ Shaded Horizon โ˜พ

May 25, 6:40 AM

May 2020
I think its between 2 and 3. For 3 it kinda depends what those expectations are based on, are they based on the show hyping you up or people gassing it up? I remember watching a analysis video on the modern Sherlock holmes series (with Benedict Cucumberpatch) and as I recall the most vocal complaint was this pervasive writing style of setups without payoff, building up mystery only to drop it and start building up the next thing. That sort of thing will obliterate a show, once you fall for it a couple of times you catch on and you just start hatewatching it, or just drop it completely. If the expectations were a result of hypetrain forums, honestly, I would say that is not on the series, you were setting it up for failure.

Number 2 might seem innocuous at first, the quality drops and then you just drop right? Well, the problem is, if the drop is slow and you as sufficiently invested in the show it can cause you a lot of suffering over a long time. You just tune in week after week because, the good part is just about to arrive, you're in too deep already, its not so bad... if you ignore these obviously bad things. Happened to me with Inuyasha. Back in the day I did not drop anime, I just watched until it was over. It was such a slog to get through inuyasha, but there were also just a handful of interesting developments sprinkled throughout to keep me from losing all hope. At long last, one day I finished it, I breathed a sigh of relief... and then I realized that there was another inuyasha series that continued the story. Lol, I just couldn't at that point, that was probably the first anime I dropped. (well, I guess I never started it so it's not really a drop, but close enough).

So yeah, my vote has to go to number 2, just cause it can turn a series you once enjoyed into a parasite that just makes you frustrated and tired, and you might not even realize it until way too late.
May 25, 7:53 AM

Sep 2018
Option 4: the show is "objectively" good but it's not what I like about anime (e.g. some anime from the elitist starter pack or some comedies I don't find funny).
May 25, 8:59 AM

Jul 2021
Reply to Ratris_Decision

Ratris_Decision said:

Exactly my feelings. I also tend to hold on to hope that it might get better or it might make more sense as a whole once it ends. And when it does end, I sometimes wish I've never laid eyes on it and become invested in the first place, and that's the worst feeling.

In all the other options, I can just walk away from it. Or just blame myself for having the wrong idea about a show or having "unreasonable" expectations. And I move on.
May 25, 9:44 AM

Aug 2019
op2: Tpn is something like that for me, also there are other series but Tpn was the first one in my life.
When i watched the first arc/first season i just thought that it's going to be my series, that's what im looking for the whole time...
but than the sequel arcs rolled down from a hill i don't even talking about the finale. What a dumb/illogical way to end a series...
(i dont want to spoil so i cant explain it)

May 25, 1:38 PM

Jul 2016
The third one gives me flashbacks to a few series, like how did they mess up such a cool premise.
May 25, 7:04 PM

Aug 2022
Dillq24 said:
what people think is the worst when it comes to bad anime

Some bad anime are fun to poke holes at, but personally its worse when you can't make fun of a bad show.
May 25, 7:06 PM

Apr 2020
Feel like the High Expectations thing is the most frustrating one.

That's the thing with Expactations: If they aren't met people get real mad, real fast.
May 25, 7:56 PM

Apr 2024
I'll go with option 4 but my personal reason is:
"shitty gore bait with poor executed at the end"
May 25, 11:27 PM

Dec 2012
Seeing something you once liked and enjoyed eventually flushing itself down the toilet because of bad writing probably bothers me the most. Something that's trash from the start I can just drop right away but something that starts off promising and tanks later wastes more of my time.

Option 3 is not the show's fault it's yours for having grand expectations, please don't blame the show for this, unless it was sequel to something.

Option 4: This isn't a "bad" show either it's a mediocre one (a 5 or 6 rating).
KruszerMay 25, 11:32 PM
"The name's Gambit. Remember it."
-Gambit "X-Men '97"

May 25, 11:31 PM

Aug 2018
If I go into an anime with low expectations and it turns out to be bad, it's not as disappointing as when I have high hopes for one and it turns out to be awful or gets progressively worse.
May 26, 1:28 AM

May 2024
The worse is when an anime start great and fails to maintain the momentum and engagement it initially established. Because people invested time and emotion into following the anime, especially if its a very long anime series. This can lead to feelings of disillusionment, frustration and regret.

Foe example, investing time and emotion into a long-running anime, only to see it decline in quality, can be deeply hurtful. When you have spent countless hours following the characters journeys, becoming attached to them, and eagerly anticipating each new episode, it's natural to feel a sense of disappointment and betrayal. This can lead to an anime depression which I've suffered a lot of time.
May 26, 5:30 PM

Aug 2019
I'd rather have an awful first impression and now what I'm in for than have to deal with a series that I thought I would like but ended up disliking. High expectations I can put as more on me since I know things rarely meet them so I shouldn't have them in the first place.
May 26, 5:39 PM

Apr 2020
Easily the second option for me. If something is bad from the start, I can just drop it, but if the second half is bad while the first half is good, I feel like I wasted my time.
May 26, 6:48 PM
แ•™(โ‡€โ€ธโ†ผโ€ถ)แ•—

Aug 2014
In most cases, probably 2, but maybe 3 if it's something I had been interested in for a long time. Actually, let me take that back - I'll say #1, assuming it's something I have to sit through entirely.

More topics from this board

» Do you dislike low-resolution anime shows? ( 1 2 )

DesuMaiden - Sep 22

96 by Serafos »»
7 minutes ago

» The problem with most modern anime (spoilers for some series)

Ebb1993 - Sep 22

39 by JaniSIr »»
21 minutes ago

» Have you ever struggled to rate a show?

Jackson1333 - 5 hours ago

19 by SimplyBrazen »»
35 minutes ago

» What Anime is boring to you

Kirika_Madeleine - Yesterday

46 by Dumb »»
37 minutes ago

» Misleading, out of context, or outright fake knowledge about various titles ( 1 2 )

RobertBobert - Yesterday

54 by RobertBobert »»
39 minutes ago
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.