Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 6, 10:50 PM
Level 6 esper

May 2021
Kyoto Animation is one of my absolute favorite animation studios and some shows like Clannad or Hyouka are in my top 10.
But what I've noticed recently, especially with regard to this season with
is that romance is almost completely ignored. Despite what the source material explicitly states, we get no kisses and little to no affection.
Of course, one can argue that a lot of it is symbolic and the viewer can piece it all together. I particularly noticed this with Kyoto Animation, as they are always distracting right before the kiss, for whatever reason. As I said, I love a lot of this studio's shows, but I find it a bit strange that Kyoto Animation in particular does so little.
Just look at a few examples:

I can name so many more, but I think you can guess. We have almost no affection or kiss here, as far as I can remember. I have to say that this bothers me a bit, but maybe I'm the only one.
What do you think?

Edit: I just used Hibike as an example because it's currently this season. I realize that the focus is on the music in this anime. I mean more generally at Kyoto Animation shows.
CorayyAnimeMay 6, 11:24 PM
“Do what feels right in your heart. You will be criticized either way.” (Eleanor Roosevelt)
May 6, 11:03 PM
Dec 2021
I'm not familiar with any of the source materials so I cant really give you an answer. I'm not bothered at all but I understand why you might be since they're leaving out things you'd like to see.
ElebenMay 7, 12:47 AM

May 6, 11:07 PM

Jul 2015
While they did toned down romance compared to manga, Euphonium was never a romance story.

May 6, 11:13 PM

Nov 2021
It’s better this way as there no generic romance, no unnecessary drama and it makes hibike stands out from the rest of their shows.
May 7, 8:37 AM

Jul 2021
I've only seen some of the shows you mentioned
, and I wouldn't call those "romance anime" exactly, so I think it's fine if KyoAni didn't want to push romance to the forefront with a kiss scene.

Besides, even if they did want to, I wouldn't say the relationships were developed enough to warrant such a scene, dramatically speaking. It feels like "a season too early" for those shows.

It also doesn't help that the characters (in the shows I've seen) are pretty weird people; typical romantic gestures can feel awkward and "break character."

Lastly, is this a KyoAni specific thing? Were other similar shows at the time doing things differently? Are you sure if it's not a standard trope for the genre/style? I would like to know if that's not the case.

Personally, I'm OK with letting things lie, instead of possibly going against character and the story and forcing a scene.
May 7, 8:51 AM
Jun 2021
Honestly KyoAni was best back when they were making shows like Haruhi Suzumiya which were just pure fun.
Clannad is genuinely their first overrated anime, particularly After Story which is just an excuse to force weak people into crying. Sorry, not a fan of forced drama.
Post-2012 KyoAni was overproduced garbage that went too far in with moe instead of maintaining a sweet spot between cute, funny and having a story. Or, in the case of Violet Evergarden, After Story-style tearbaiting but cranked up to 11.
I guess Dragon Maid is there but other than that their output is just so damn generic.
Also RIP to the guys who got killed in the arson.
Hot Blood saves lives.
May 7, 5:12 PM

Nov 2019
I haven't seen the either of the reference materials you've mentioned although I can understand why they would omit that.
iirc It has to do with the production director compromising on whether to keep certain aspects canonic or take a different route for socially acceptability/politically correctness so they don't upset the key stakeholders. This happens a lot between anime in other parts too such as censorship/omission of gore or nudity in anime.
May 7, 5:20 PM

Jan 2020
As someone that has read the Haruhi novels, they're not much more romantic other than subtext, similar to what you see in the anime.
MOKUSHI KUSHIMO SHIMOKU KUMOSHI MOSHIKU SHIKUMO.
May 7, 5:36 PM

Nov 2020
The only I know Kyoto Animation romance that you didn't mention is Tamako Love Story but it's movie series. The main series are not focused on romance side but for me still enjoyable to watch.
What Does Pot of Greed do?
May 7, 5:48 PM

Oct 2013
When I think about a romantic moment in a show created by KyoAni, I imagine a scene full of forced drama and characters crying to a piano playing in the background, smiling like idiots and saying how their mundane life was mundane before meeting each other, lol. I just can't imagine KyoAni making a decent looking romantic scene. I haven't seen a lot of shows created by this studio, so be aware I base my opinion on those anime I am familiar of.
May 7, 8:53 PM

Feb 2016
True, I've never been interested in the romance of any show they made. Except in the Kyou episode of Clannad.
その目だれの目?
May 7, 9:13 PM

Jan 2019
Was Hibike! Euphonium ever a romance story? It would be better if there weren't any actual romance in it.

Hyouka wasn't a romance story, the same goes for Haruhi Suzumiya, and it would be better not to have any.

Clannad on the other hand is a true romance story so there's that.
May 7, 10:32 PM
Level 6 esper

May 2021
Thank you for all your answers. You made good points, it was more of a general question to see if anyone else noticed something.

“Do what feels right in your heart. You will be criticized either way.” (Eleanor Roosevelt)

More topics from this board

» Which anime could be classified as "Technically isikai?"( Another place but same world)

Ratris_Decision - 2 hours ago

5 by WatchTillTandava »»
8 minutes ago

» Which anime character do you think would make the best therapist, and why? Would you want to be their patient?

Wendoka - May 28

18 by Cammell »»
28 minutes ago

» Have you ever considered picking up drawing anime as a hobby? ( 1 2 )

Anjuro - Yesterday

52 by Anjuro »»
28 minutes ago

» Tried going to reddit to discuss Anime, worst decision ever. ( 1 2 )

kriissyy12 - Jul 4, 2022

99 by Serafos »»
43 minutes ago

» Love at first sight XD ( 1 2 3 4 )

kirAth-shiAue - Mar 24, 2007

176 by Controversy »»
44 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.