Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Mar 3, 3:59 PM

Jun 2019
amlg said:
And incidentally can be turned into servants from Rentt's vampiric powers... (tho... when did Rentt evolved into vampire? I thought he was still before vampire monster? forgot name)

He didn't yet evolve into a vampire. That's why the next time Lorraine saw Rentt and the new rat companion familiar she commented about being aware that vampires had this power to create familiars as followers, but didn't know that he would be able to, because he's not a vampire currently. She didn't state it explicitly, but that's the implication in the dialogue. And the term for what's technically his current state is mentioned as a ghast or like a "thrall" - a low-ranking vampire minion/servant. So related to the whole vampiric lineage but not an actual full-fledged vampire in his own right. A step up above other classes of undead monsters like the ghoul he was before or walking skeleton below that.
Mar 4, 9:51 AM

Jan 2014
This quest offers a meagre reward. He has many friends, which is admirable, but he should not be so gullible. He really got that luck, meeting strange people.

PROFILE | ANIMELIST | MANGALIST | 𝓵𝓸𝓵𝓵𝔂𝓰𝓪𝓰𝓰𝓲𝓷𝓰

Mar 4, 7:59 PM

Nov 2010
It's new for me to see blood splattering on the screen like CoD.
Mar 4, 10:40 PM

Jun 2019
kuroneko99 said:
It's new for me to see blood splattering on the screen like CoD.

I always wonder when I see effects like this in shows what exactly, if anything, it's intended to convey on the part of the writers and/or directors involved. Is it meant to be like a breaking the fourth wall reference, like a quick and subtle wink and nod to the audience that "Yes, you're still at home/on the train/at school/wherever you are and your portal into this world is through a TV or computer screen"? Or what? Because it wouldn't make sense in-universe for a layer of screen to literally be there. Some will say that's taking it too literally or overthinking or over-analyzing it, but I just always find these small fast moments and decisions just odd and fascinating.
Mar 5, 12:44 AM
Jul 2020
It's starting to slow down from the main plot im noticing

It isn't bad but it's starting to feel like filler
Mar 5, 3:34 AM
Mar 2012
interesting flower story, and pout.
Rentt lol slime glue. Alize quite responsible a leader.
long awaited cute Edel finally here! that tummy holds lots of personality.
nice fight, crazy magic bag tho.
Mar 5, 9:10 PM
Apr 2018
Reply to doomrider7
@Gameboon

Agree on all counts, though while I think the LN is the more in-depth version of the story, it can get pretty wordy. The manga changes a few bits in places, but is an easier read(art is also amazing, but this applies to the LN as well).
@doomrider7 Imagine if they actually talked in full about the flower. Half the episode, gone.
Mar 7, 12:57 AM
Nov 2021
ejleon said:
Triggerfish124 said:
The anime isnt getting any better so just going to drop. Such a pity, I was expecting this to be good.

I disagree. This anime is one of the best in Winter 2024. I guess you can’t appreciate good anime.

Glad you enjoy it. Not sure why you felt the need to be rude cause if my opinion of the anime is that off than you're just surfing through comments looking for drama.
Mar 7, 1:26 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
That tarasque, whatever it was, seemed to be a bit more than "bronze-class"

NYANPASU
5700XT

Mar 7, 11:29 AM
Nov 2021
BetaMaleUltra said:

Yea. mc is overpowered. But you cant rank up unless the guild thinks you should be able to take the test, which seems like a flawed system to me. With how rigorous the bronze class test was it seems like they care more about "integrity" than "power", but then again that runs counter to how the mc acted like he was bullied for his low rank in another town so ig it depends on the local guild.

The tarrasque is actually the strongest monster in dnd so it kind of bothers me they just made it a mid level swamp monster.
Mar 7, 11:31 AM

Apr 2021
Reply to Triggerfish124
ejleon said:
Triggerfish124 said:
The anime isnt getting any better so just going to drop. Such a pity, I was expecting this to be good.

I disagree. This anime is one of the best in Winter 2024. I guess you can’t appreciate good anime.

Glad you enjoy it. Not sure why you felt the need to be rude cause if my opinion of the anime is that off than you're just surfing through comments looking for drama.
@Triggerfish124

It makes no logical sense for you to be glad I liked it.

There is nothing wrong with reading and/or responding to comments I disagree with, as long as I’m not trolling people.

And all I was saying is that if you can’t appreciate how good this anime is, then maybe you also can’t appreciate other good anime.

You could just explain that isn’t the case.
Note: I don’t lazily watch 3-5 episodes, biasedly compare to other anime, or unfairly judge by surface level similarities. With every anime I start, I watch the entire series, both Japanese Sub & English Dub, then judge each anime based on what they present, to give an honest and fair rating.

Mar 7, 1:28 PM

Apr 2011
Reply to Triggerfish124
BetaMaleUltra said:

Yea. mc is overpowered. But you cant rank up unless the guild thinks you should be able to take the test, which seems like a flawed system to me. With how rigorous the bronze class test was it seems like they care more about "integrity" than "power", but then again that runs counter to how the mc acted like he was bullied for his low rank in another town so ig it depends on the local guild.

The tarrasque is actually the strongest monster in dnd so it kind of bothers me they just made it a mid level swamp monster.
@Triggerfish124 Well, he is OP... for bronze class. World wide he is pretty much in middle of pack (Lorrain who is pretty much upper echelon of silver rank power wise, would be currently still stronger for example).

As for rank. Local guild can pretty much only promote up to bronze. Silver rank exams is something that happens like once year in major guild branches. At least if I remember it correctly, but I think I do. Rent might have enough power pass for Silver, but it doesn't mean he has opportunity rank up right away.
Mar 7, 8:54 PM
Nov 2021
ejleon said:
@Triggerfish124

There is nothing wrong with reading and/or responding to comments I disagree with, as long as I’m not trolling people.

And all I was saying is that if you can’t appreciate how good this anime is, then maybe you also can’t appreciate other good anime.

I dont understand why it doesn't make "logical sense" for me to be glad you liked an anime I dislike. Me posting a comment about me disliking an anime only means I didn't like the anime. I watched this anime up to this point cause I thought it has an interesting premise and I love fantasy. However since episode 6 I havent really been interested in the anime because I found the content to not be what I enjoy. imo the dialogue and the content has been lacking, and that's why I attempted to respectfully drop the anime.

You telling me I dont know what is good anime seems similar to me as you stating if anyone disagrees with you on what good anime is, then they are wrong. You didnt attempt to learn why I disliked the anime, you simply called me out for lacking taste. Sorry if Im getting the wrong idea, I do tend to take offense quicker than I probably should.

If you like the anime, that's all fine and dandy, and I hope you enjoy the rest of the episodes. Personally Im going to watch different things. I recently watched Jormungand, which I found to be very good. I ranked it a 9/10. Its not fantasy but if you like anime similar to Black Lagoon or other anime that focus on guns, action, and adventure, you should definitely watch. Im tempted to watch the second season but I might watch Jigokuraku next because from watching the first episode and having been entranced by that anime's trailer for a long time before it even came out, it looks like something I'd really like.
Mar 7, 9:13 PM
Nov 2021
Tenzen12 said:
@Triggerfish124 Well, he is OP... for bronze class. World wide he is pretty much in middle of pack (Lorrain who is pretty much upper echelon of silver rank power wise, would be currently still stronger for example).

As for rank. Local guild can pretty much only promote up to bronze. Silver rank exams is something that happens like once year in major guild branches. At least if I remember it correctly, but I think I do. Rent might have enough power pass for Silver, but it doesn't mean he has opportunity rank up right away.

IC. I dropped the anime cause I wasnt enjoying it. From reading your comment, it sounds like you've read past in the manga/light novel. Is it better than the anime?
Mar 7, 10:48 PM

Apr 2011
That's hard question, but I don't think so. I would say it's story where longer you read it and more you get to know characters and world, more attached you grow to it (after all so far we barelly touched to main story), but I don't necessarily think anime is any different in that regard.
Mar 8, 6:22 AM

Jul 2017
A new copper-coin reward quest to get a Dragonblood flower from a popular myth like flowers, in other cases, it can also be used as medicine, which is exactly what this quest needs.

And the quest that Rentt enquires, takes him to an orphanage, which its Headmaster of priestess Lillian June is around with her attendant Alize. The problem is, the Headmistress is not doing so well with a divinity disease, and there was no one else to do the job to get the Dragonblood flower, which is where Rentt comes in. But first, cleaning out the basement, which is led by a pack of puchi suri mice, though its leader seemed to be under a curse, which changed back to its original black colour. And as usual, Lorraine is fascinated by Rentt bringing it back to her, which she names it Edel (Noble One) though the former is its master who joins his party as a vampire familiar.

Of course, Lorraine knows where Rentt will go and get the Dragonflood flower: the dangerous and poisonous Tarasque Swamp, and as a ghast, the latter is relieved to finally taste normal food with the help of her blood. The animals and monsters there are no doubt stronger than those found outside, and luckily for Rentt, his poison resistance is quite the stat. When Isabelle asks Lorraine about Rentt wanting to be promoted to Mythril-class, she's not at all surprised by it, since he's facing a Tarasque, though Edel proves to be a rather reliable help on how to defeat the huge monster through divinity. And the rewards outweigh the risk...not before encountering someone else within the midst...?

Who's the other adventurer brave enough to be in the same climate?
Mar 8, 8:23 AM

Apr 2021
Reply to Triggerfish124
ejleon said:
@Triggerfish124

I dont understand why it doesn't make "logical sense" for me to be glad you liked an anime I dislike. Me posting a comment about me disliking an anime only means I didn't like the anime. I watched this anime up to this point cause I thought it has an interesting premise and I love fantasy. However since episode 6 I havent really been interested in the anime because I found the content to not be what I enjoy. imo the dialogue and the content has been lacking, and that's why I attempted to respectfully drop the anime.

You telling me I dont know what is good anime seems similar to me as you stating if anyone disagrees with you on what good anime is, then they are wrong. You didnt attempt to learn why I disliked the anime, you simply called me out for lacking taste. Sorry if Im getting the wrong idea, I do tend to take offense quicker than I probably should.

If you like the anime, that's all fine and dandy, and I hope you enjoy the rest of the episodes. Personally Im going to watch different things. I recently watched Jormungand, which I found to be very good. I ranked it a 9/10. Its not fantasy but if you like anime similar to Black Lagoon or other anime that focus on guns, action, and adventure, you should definitely watch. Im tempted to watch the second season but I might watch Jigokuraku next because from watching the first episode and having been entranced by that anime's trailer for a long time before it even came out, it looks like something I'd really like.
@Triggerfish124

First: Re-reading how I phrased my two previous responses, I felt the need to apologize for my impatience and rudeness. It wasn’t something you said, I’m the who one got impulsively defensive for the anime. ( I really need to watch that ) I also had no foundation to make such an accusation about you, it was ridiculous. No excuse, I acted like a jerk, and I’m sorry for this shameful display, please forgive me.

Second: You’re right, I was not being fair, and I didn’t ask you why changed your mind. I should have been more open minded and willing to hear your perspective. If you wouldn’t mind explaining, I still would like to hear a comparison between what you liked and disliked about the anime. ( I don’t think you explained this yet )

Third: Consider this, if someone who likes the anime, said to you, “Glad you disliked the anime”, would that make sense? Maybe I’m not understanding what you meant by this, but it sounded strange in my mind and when I read it aloud. If a person likes or dislikes something, wouldn’t they want to have people agree with them? Or if they disagree, wouldn’t they want to convince the person to change their mind?

Fourth: Thank you for the suggestions and explaining. I have “Jormungand” & “Black Lagoon” on my Plan to Watch list. I started watching “Jigokuraku” and really enjoyed the intro episodes, but when it changed to the actual journey, the story became too weird for me and I put it on hold to watch later. ( Ironic isn’t it 😅 )
Note: I don’t lazily watch 3-5 episodes, biasedly compare to other anime, or unfairly judge by surface level similarities. With every anime I start, I watch the entire series, both Japanese Sub & English Dub, then judge each anime based on what they present, to give an honest and fair rating.

Mar 8, 9:06 PM
Nov 2021
Reply to ejleon
@Triggerfish124

First: Re-reading how I phrased my two previous responses, I felt the need to apologize for my impatience and rudeness. It wasn’t something you said, I’m the who one got impulsively defensive for the anime. ( I really need to watch that ) I also had no foundation to make such an accusation about you, it was ridiculous. No excuse, I acted like a jerk, and I’m sorry for this shameful display, please forgive me.

Second: You’re right, I was not being fair, and I didn’t ask you why changed your mind. I should have been more open minded and willing to hear your perspective. If you wouldn’t mind explaining, I still would like to hear a comparison between what you liked and disliked about the anime. ( I don’t think you explained this yet )

Third: Consider this, if someone who likes the anime, said to you, “Glad you disliked the anime”, would that make sense? Maybe I’m not understanding what you meant by this, but it sounded strange in my mind and when I read it aloud. If a person likes or dislikes something, wouldn’t they want to have people agree with them? Or if they disagree, wouldn’t they want to convince the person to change their mind?

Fourth: Thank you for the suggestions and explaining. I have “Jormungand” & “Black Lagoon” on my Plan to Watch list. I started watching “Jigokuraku” and really enjoyed the intro episodes, but when it changed to the actual journey, the story became too weird for me and I put it on hold to watch later. ( Ironic isn’t it 😅 )
@ejleon

The main reason I found myself disliking the anime is a lot of small plotholes. Stuff like that matters more to me than it probably should. I imagine you won't want to read all this but its there if you want to. Tbh I wasn't that respectful (I probably wouldn't have worded it that way if I thought members of the studio who produced it or the author themselves looked into MAL's forums... which come to think of it they probably do at times) when dropping the anime, although I didn't think anyone would care about my comment cause I didn't go out of my way to bash it lmao. A comment tho is still a comment, so one should probably expect to get negative comments to one own's negative comment. As for the "glad you like the anime", it probably does sound a bit weird. I am weird. The way I see it, people all have their different preferences, and everyone has their own perspectives. I started watching this because I thought it had an interesting premise, and I really liked the first few episodes. If you're still enjoying the anime, I don't begrudge you for it, and if you read my reasons I hope it doesn't put a sour taste in your mouth and affect how you see the anime. Hopefully you can disagree with all my points and continue to enjoy.

The Blacksmith
* There's not really that much issue with the Blacksmith and his wife, but I don't think it was that big of a deal that Rentt didn't tell them more about
himself. If they have so many customers and they keep their knowledge confidential, I feel like they should respect their customer's privacy too. I
think the dialogue of why he didn't tell them more about himself, their musings on what his problem was, and their "plan" to make him tell more
about himself was unnecessary. At least I assume they have a bunch of customers. He's allegedly one of their "best" customers, and he's only
ordered one sword.

The two adventurers during the Bronze rank test:
* Rentt became a monster in the Labyrinth of the Moon's Reflection. The reason he wasn't at the Labyrinth of the New Moon was because no other
adventurer was interested in partnering up with him, according to the first episode. That map he obtained from that weird woman in that secret
dungeon room showed that he had actually covered a bit of the Labyrinth of the New Moon. One can assume he either started exploring it after his
evolution/after finishing exploring that newly discovered branch of the Labyrinth of the Moon's Reflection, or the fact that no other adventurer was
interested in partnering with him to go to the Labyrinth of the New Moon is not true. Either option bugs me, cause I'd rather the stuff the story tells
is true for the most part, and for exploring content to not be skipped. I felt like Rentt dominated the group in the test a bit too much and
Ryza and Laura just followed him obediently. As such I don't think Ryza and Laura should have passed the test because with how much Rentt taught
them during the test, I think any examiner watching should have realized they weren't prepared/experienced enough to reach bronze rank. At least at
the beginning, Ryza was against everything Rentt was saying, but he acted mostly as a foil to Rentt. I'm probably being pretty biased tho. I
rewatched with the anime sped up and Ryza seemed decent actually, but Laura doesn't really do much at all. Tbf she did support the characters
decently in combat, seeing as she helped defeat that one member of the "ambush" and her magical blast was what led them to defeat the grand
slime, but I think dialogue is important and for the most part when she spoke it was just to explain things to add some variety from Rentt
lecturing.

* As a side note, I thought the labyrinth race for the guild was a bit too over the top as well. Apparently the guild used enough members to shadow all
of the players, set up ambushes in random locations, build traps over areas players have already traversed (I'm assuming on this. Personally if I was
an adventurer I would try to go the way I came, off of the idea that it's relatively safe compared to choosing a different path. Oh - but then again
they might have taken an alternate route that could have been shorter since Rentt's party took a detour to see the second level. Didn't seem like it p
paid off that well with how they complained tho.), and still have members to create obstacles for the test takers outside of the labyrinth (going off
Rentt's comment that the wagons they used could have went somewhere else and the wagon driver smirked). And let's say you're not a test taker
and just a regular adventurer. Did the guild refuse to let anyone enter the dungeon during the test? If not, that means that adventurers outside of
the test could have ended up in those areas with monster incense and come into contact with the test takers or guild members pretending to be
villainous adventurers. And in that scenario, with those fights with weapons and magic, mistakes are bound to be made and people could have died. I
imagine I'm being too serious, but eh I like worldbuilding that makes sense and I don't think this really did.

The villagers of the Lord of the Lake
* I didn't like how they just did nothing. If the Lord of the Lake is demanding sacrifices on a constant basis, its obvious the village is doomed. Its small
so there's no way its going to keep up with that demand, and so they're just buying time with lives. And yet they just stick with it and act like they're
suffering and can't do anything about it. The sister of the guy who hired Rentt annoys me the most. She berates her brother for trying to help her,
and then acted like what she wass doing was noble. She then acted as if what her brother wanted was news to her, goes along with Rentt's "plan",
and in the end kissed him. I didn't think this episode was realistic at all with these characters. They all know the lord of the lake just keeps
demanding more and more sacrifices, and yet they don't do anything about it except keeping the "tradition". The merchant masterplan didn't seem
that great either. Do they travel from the village every time they claim one girl and some "treasure"? That seems like a bunch of effort. In addition,
this is a lake, where did that massive ship come from? And how does that work with the wagons?

The guild receptionist
* At her job, she seemed like a decent enough character, but I don't see why she would care so much about Rentt and his well being. There wasn't
any content up to this discussion forum's episode that gave any reason that she would be this interested in Rentt. Well... episode 5 mentioned that
she learned to be a receptionist from Rentt, but I don't see how that makes any sense. I would understand if the reason she figured out Rentt Vivier
was Rentt Faina was because she interviewed the guards of the various gates and discovered that a mysterious masked figure entered the city with
Rentt's id and claimed he was cursed, or possibly interrogating the girl from the second episode (which would explain why they haven't come across
each other for the rest of what I watched because she was being held for questioning) but instead they just made Sheila "know" instead.
Seeing as how Rentt sounded different, his current physique looks a lot taller than the scenes from when he was human, and he's a lot stronger than
he was, I think its very weird that she would just assume without any doubt that Rennt Vivier is Rentt Faina. The guild master literally just told her
that Rentt Vivier is their sole suspect for kidnapping adventurers, and yet she willingly offers to become a slave if he tells her the truth. If Rentt
Vivier had truly been this slaver, she would have made a terrible mistake. The lines in the anime they said between each other is as follows:
Sheila: Rentt, I have a question for you. I apologize for asking when you are tired, but would you please come with me? You're sharp enough to
know what I'm about to ask, aren't you?
Rentt: Does the Guild plan on punishing me for what I've done?
Sheila: I'm the one asking the questions here.
Rentt: If that's the case, I'm never coming back to the guild. That's all.
Sheila: Wait! I just wanted to know... what exactly happened to you?
Rentt: Sheila, I've got a big problem that I'm dealing with right now. I don't want anyone getting involved. Not even the guild.
Sheila: Rentt, I haven't actually told the guild about you, yet.

* There's more before she explains the slave pact but I got tired of going back and forth writing it down. They never openly stated Rentt Vivier was
Rentt Faina. If he had actually been a slaver, he could have assumed that's what she meant. The last Rentt line wouldn't fit that, but at the same
time, if he was a slaver, he might have thought she had the wrong idea with the "what exactly happened to you", and just been going along to make
sure. In which case she would have taken him to a secluded place and just told him no one knows. That was extremely stupid imo and it only
happened because of the author wanting her to figure it out, even tho there isn't really anything to support her finding out to begin with.

* And then the slavery thing. That was just so out there. Even if he helped her grow up, whatever that means seeing as there's been no
flashbacks to this and he has literally never mentions this, that's way too weird. And he even signed the damn document! I'm not against slavery in
an anime, I think fantasy worlds having different morals is interesting, but this was the first time we even learned there was slavery in this anime's
world, and she just willingly creates a contract that will force her into slavery if she doesn't keep her end.

Lorrain's resolve
* When Rentt revealed to Sheila he's an undead, he takes her to Lorraine's house, and then thinks "Lorraine doesn't see Sheila as a person, even as
she sits in front of her. Depending on her answer, she'll eliminate her without any hesitation." What. The. Fuck. Lorraine hasn't shown any traits
like this, at least not from my perspective. The anime has had scenes of her acting like a mad scientist, but I just saw it as comedy and a way to
demonstrate that she gets crazily obsessed with her studies. Killing someone is completely different from that, and if anything, would be the thing
that broke the camel's back. The anime has already stated people have seen Rentt going to and from Lorraine's home. Lorraine is apparently quite
famous/popular in this town. The guild apparently has a ton of workers/people they can hire for contractor work. Rentt is suspected of kidnapping
adventurers (The anime didn't have Sheila tell Rentt that he's suspected of kidnapping just yet so if that was the only reason keeping Lorraine from
killing her I would have been all for it. I love it when characters don't know the full story.). And this just doesn't fit Lorraine's personality, at least
imo. All these are facts that make it not a rational idea at all for Lorraine to kill Sheila. People would notice her disappearance, there's a chance
someone saw Sheila enter Lorraine's house with Rentt, there's no way Rentt would be on board with this, and if they are going to kill people for
discovering Rentt is a monster, than they shouldn't be worrying about Rentt being a monster and having potential homicidal urges in the first place,
aside from blending in.

Bipolar MC
* Another thing would be I think the protagonist's personality changed after episode 2. I got the idea that he was a nice guy whose always
willing to help others. Afterwards he always seemed to be self centered to me. Maybe my view is biased but that's my persepective on it. Its a small
issue seeing as in the end he does generally help people but the contrast just sat in the back of my mind throughout the anime. Ig a good example
to prove how he treated people was that how he acted toward the girl he saved from that skeleton, and the cook/adventure he saved from the
slime. Of course he needed help from the girl, but at the same time his treatment of the cook was a lot more callous imo. This is easily countered
though with Rentt's internal monologue when he learned more about the cook adventurer's debt. Then again, Rentt went ahead and signed that pact
that would force Sheila into slavery. If he was truly just a nice guy, and with what she told him, why didn't he just trust her without signing it and
just show her he's undead? Since I'm now stating what I didn't like about him, I didn't like how Rentt a lot of the time picked up on stuff where
there didn't seem to be any queues, such as the criminal merchant in episode 8, the ambush set in episode 6, and the fact he notices those guild
members in hiding. I think its fun when you can try to guess things in stories based on how certain characters act and whatnot, and I felt like with
how much Rentt knew and monologued it didn't leave much of anything for me to puzzle over. Also I don't understand what he was thinking in
leaving that girl in episode 2 alone. She's an adventurer, and to accept quests Rentt will have to go to the guild. Sooner or later they will come
across each other.

The Dungeons
* Originally in episode 1, it seemed like Rentt was limited to the Labyrinth of the Moon's Reflection. It was told he couldn't form a party with others
because no one was willing to team up with someone as weak as Rentt, so he couldn't go to the more advanced Labyrinth of the New Moon.
However with the cook adventurer in episode 3, the cook adventurer tells Rentt he was advised to go here by himself to gain experience, and Rentt
then thought to himself, "that's only if you're kinda strong". To be honest it kinds of bothers me that no one allegedly wanted to partner with Rentt.
In ep 05 the guild receptionist says "a lot of people learned to be an adventurer from you". Seems odd none would try to help him or let him come
every now and then to the better labyrinth. Rentt in episode 1 acted like most adventurers were poor but it sees easy enough for people to pick up
items that will pay for a few nights in town and whatnot.

The Mysterious Kidnapper
* It felt out of the blue to me and didn't mesh well how they just randomly decided that Rentt was the most likely suspect for the kidnappings of
adventurers. They simply called it the "incident" and " he was accused by adventurers" to being a kidnapper. He does have a shady look to him but
besides for his prowess there's nothing that should have made him a sole suspect for the kidnappings to the guild. You would think there would be
other jobs out there where people could become strong. After all, Lorraine didn't rank up the way adventurers normally do. She got to silver rank by
completing her studies to be a "Great Doctor". One could assume Lorraine has been teaching her "relative" on what an adventurer can expect. Hell,
they could assume he knew Rentt Faina and Rentt Faina had been giving Rentt Vivier tips and whatnot for a while.

* Anyways, Sheila, Lorraine, and Rentt resolve that to absolve Rentt from being considered a kidnapper, he is going to stay out of the labyrinth. I
think that decision makes no sense. If the guild has so many members, Sheila or another guild official should have just assigned someone to tail
Rentt everywhere, in which case going into the dungeon would be fine... although it would be weird for him to go in by himself and completely
destroy monsters so I guess that's the reason, separate from the kidnapping case. Anyways him finding shady quests outside of the guild I don't
think helped him resolve the situation at all. If Rentt leaves the town and no one gets kidnapped while he's gone, that doesn't change anything.
Some people would think that would make it more likely he was the kidnapper. So him leaving town I think is more suspicious than him going to the
labyrinth or taking on quests. Its not like the only quests are in the labyrinth anyways or outside of the town. But anyways he goes on that quest to
the lord of the lake, where there's girls disappearing. One would assume at the guild will sooner or later learn that there was an attempt to kidnap a
bunch of women and that a suspicious masked individual that fits the description of Rentt Vivier was there, altho ofc plot armor came to save the
day. Even if the villagers weren't willing to name or describe the adventurer, the villains are able to.

The Nun, the Rat and the Tarrasque
* Ep 9 tbh wasn't that bad, the main reason I didn't like it was the monster they called the tarrasque. I'm not really into mascot characters so the rat
was not an addition I liked, although its not exactly that big of a deal. I've been getting into Dungeons and Dragons (starting about June last year),
and one of the greatest and most infamous monsters is the tarrasque. The tarrasque though isn't a monster made originally from DND. Its origins
are from a French legend of a dragon fish hybrid that was slain by a saint. I learned this bit of trivia today while looking up stuff about flower
language (I'm thinking of creating a race of parasitic plants. Fun fact, the flower Baby's Breath represents Everlasting Love. It looks nothing like the
Dragonsblood Flower in this anime, which is kinda sad, it would have been cool random piece of trivia to stumble across). Anyways I guess a swamp
monster isn't too off the mark for the Tarrasque, although I imagine the creator of this anime should have known about the DnD's more infamous
Tarrasque so it kind of irks me they made it so easy to kill. Easy maybe isn't the right word, since most people can't use Divinity, but if anything this
Tarrasque is basically an overpowered Shedinja. The issue with the nun bugged me too, at least the part where "if she knew she was sick cause of
divinity she would abandon the orphanage and just wait for death". Wtf

At this point I'm just nitpicking lmao. Usually when I find myself at the stage where I'm hating on everything, its time to drop the anime.
Mar 9, 8:42 AM

Apr 2020
Reply to Triggerfish124
@ejleon

The main reason I found myself disliking the anime is a lot of small plotholes. Stuff like that matters more to me than it probably should. I imagine you won't want to read all this but its there if you want to. Tbh I wasn't that respectful (I probably wouldn't have worded it that way if I thought members of the studio who produced it or the author themselves looked into MAL's forums... which come to think of it they probably do at times) when dropping the anime, although I didn't think anyone would care about my comment cause I didn't go out of my way to bash it lmao. A comment tho is still a comment, so one should probably expect to get negative comments to one own's negative comment. As for the "glad you like the anime", it probably does sound a bit weird. I am weird. The way I see it, people all have their different preferences, and everyone has their own perspectives. I started watching this because I thought it had an interesting premise, and I really liked the first few episodes. If you're still enjoying the anime, I don't begrudge you for it, and if you read my reasons I hope it doesn't put a sour taste in your mouth and affect how you see the anime. Hopefully you can disagree with all my points and continue to enjoy.

The Blacksmith
* There's not really that much issue with the Blacksmith and his wife, but I don't think it was that big of a deal that Rentt didn't tell them more about
himself. If they have so many customers and they keep their knowledge confidential, I feel like they should respect their customer's privacy too. I
think the dialogue of why he didn't tell them more about himself, their musings on what his problem was, and their "plan" to make him tell more
about himself was unnecessary. At least I assume they have a bunch of customers. He's allegedly one of their "best" customers, and he's only
ordered one sword.

The two adventurers during the Bronze rank test:
* Rentt became a monster in the Labyrinth of the Moon's Reflection. The reason he wasn't at the Labyrinth of the New Moon was because no other
adventurer was interested in partnering up with him, according to the first episode. That map he obtained from that weird woman in that secret
dungeon room showed that he had actually covered a bit of the Labyrinth of the New Moon. One can assume he either started exploring it after his
evolution/after finishing exploring that newly discovered branch of the Labyrinth of the Moon's Reflection, or the fact that no other adventurer was
interested in partnering with him to go to the Labyrinth of the New Moon is not true. Either option bugs me, cause I'd rather the stuff the story tells
is true for the most part, and for exploring content to not be skipped. I felt like Rentt dominated the group in the test a bit too much and
Ryza and Laura just followed him obediently. As such I don't think Ryza and Laura should have passed the test because with how much Rentt taught
them during the test, I think any examiner watching should have realized they weren't prepared/experienced enough to reach bronze rank. At least at
the beginning, Ryza was against everything Rentt was saying, but he acted mostly as a foil to Rentt. I'm probably being pretty biased tho. I
rewatched with the anime sped up and Ryza seemed decent actually, but Laura doesn't really do much at all. Tbf she did support the characters
decently in combat, seeing as she helped defeat that one member of the "ambush" and her magical blast was what led them to defeat the grand
slime, but I think dialogue is important and for the most part when she spoke it was just to explain things to add some variety from Rentt
lecturing.

* As a side note, I thought the labyrinth race for the guild was a bit too over the top as well. Apparently the guild used enough members to shadow all
of the players, set up ambushes in random locations, build traps over areas players have already traversed (I'm assuming on this. Personally if I was
an adventurer I would try to go the way I came, off of the idea that it's relatively safe compared to choosing a different path. Oh - but then again
they might have taken an alternate route that could have been shorter since Rentt's party took a detour to see the second level. Didn't seem like it p
paid off that well with how they complained tho.), and still have members to create obstacles for the test takers outside of the labyrinth (going off
Rentt's comment that the wagons they used could have went somewhere else and the wagon driver smirked). And let's say you're not a test taker
and just a regular adventurer. Did the guild refuse to let anyone enter the dungeon during the test? If not, that means that adventurers outside of
the test could have ended up in those areas with monster incense and come into contact with the test takers or guild members pretending to be
villainous adventurers. And in that scenario, with those fights with weapons and magic, mistakes are bound to be made and people could have died. I
imagine I'm being too serious, but eh I like worldbuilding that makes sense and I don't think this really did.

The villagers of the Lord of the Lake
* I didn't like how they just did nothing. If the Lord of the Lake is demanding sacrifices on a constant basis, its obvious the village is doomed. Its small
so there's no way its going to keep up with that demand, and so they're just buying time with lives. And yet they just stick with it and act like they're
suffering and can't do anything about it. The sister of the guy who hired Rentt annoys me the most. She berates her brother for trying to help her,
and then acted like what she wass doing was noble. She then acted as if what her brother wanted was news to her, goes along with Rentt's "plan",
and in the end kissed him. I didn't think this episode was realistic at all with these characters. They all know the lord of the lake just keeps
demanding more and more sacrifices, and yet they don't do anything about it except keeping the "tradition". The merchant masterplan didn't seem
that great either. Do they travel from the village every time they claim one girl and some "treasure"? That seems like a bunch of effort. In addition,
this is a lake, where did that massive ship come from? And how does that work with the wagons?

The guild receptionist
* At her job, she seemed like a decent enough character, but I don't see why she would care so much about Rentt and his well being. There wasn't
any content up to this discussion forum's episode that gave any reason that she would be this interested in Rentt. Well... episode 5 mentioned that
she learned to be a receptionist from Rentt, but I don't see how that makes any sense. I would understand if the reason she figured out Rentt Vivier
was Rentt Faina was because she interviewed the guards of the various gates and discovered that a mysterious masked figure entered the city with
Rentt's id and claimed he was cursed, or possibly interrogating the girl from the second episode (which would explain why they haven't come across
each other for the rest of what I watched because she was being held for questioning) but instead they just made Sheila "know" instead.
Seeing as how Rentt sounded different, his current physique looks a lot taller than the scenes from when he was human, and he's a lot stronger than
he was, I think its very weird that she would just assume without any doubt that Rennt Vivier is Rentt Faina. The guild master literally just told her
that Rentt Vivier is their sole suspect for kidnapping adventurers, and yet she willingly offers to become a slave if he tells her the truth. If Rentt
Vivier had truly been this slaver, she would have made a terrible mistake. The lines in the anime they said between each other is as follows:
Sheila: Rentt, I have a question for you. I apologize for asking when you are tired, but would you please come with me? You're sharp enough to
know what I'm about to ask, aren't you?
Rentt: Does the Guild plan on punishing me for what I've done?
Sheila: I'm the one asking the questions here.
Rentt: If that's the case, I'm never coming back to the guild. That's all.
Sheila: Wait! I just wanted to know... what exactly happened to you?
Rentt: Sheila, I've got a big problem that I'm dealing with right now. I don't want anyone getting involved. Not even the guild.
Sheila: Rentt, I haven't actually told the guild about you, yet.

* There's more before she explains the slave pact but I got tired of going back and forth writing it down. They never openly stated Rentt Vivier was
Rentt Faina. If he had actually been a slaver, he could have assumed that's what she meant. The last Rentt line wouldn't fit that, but at the same
time, if he was a slaver, he might have thought she had the wrong idea with the "what exactly happened to you", and just been going along to make
sure. In which case she would have taken him to a secluded place and just told him no one knows. That was extremely stupid imo and it only
happened because of the author wanting her to figure it out, even tho there isn't really anything to support her finding out to begin with.

* And then the slavery thing. That was just so out there. Even if he helped her grow up, whatever that means seeing as there's been no
flashbacks to this and he has literally never mentions this, that's way too weird. And he even signed the damn document! I'm not against slavery in
an anime, I think fantasy worlds having different morals is interesting, but this was the first time we even learned there was slavery in this anime's
world, and she just willingly creates a contract that will force her into slavery if she doesn't keep her end.

Lorrain's resolve
* When Rentt revealed to Sheila he's an undead, he takes her to Lorraine's house, and then thinks "Lorraine doesn't see Sheila as a person, even as
she sits in front of her. Depending on her answer, she'll eliminate her without any hesitation." What. The. Fuck. Lorraine hasn't shown any traits
like this, at least not from my perspective. The anime has had scenes of her acting like a mad scientist, but I just saw it as comedy and a way to
demonstrate that she gets crazily obsessed with her studies. Killing someone is completely different from that, and if anything, would be the thing
that broke the camel's back. The anime has already stated people have seen Rentt going to and from Lorraine's home. Lorraine is apparently quite
famous/popular in this town. The guild apparently has a ton of workers/people they can hire for contractor work. Rentt is suspected of kidnapping
adventurers (The anime didn't have Sheila tell Rentt that he's suspected of kidnapping just yet so if that was the only reason keeping Lorraine from
killing her I would have been all for it. I love it when characters don't know the full story.). And this just doesn't fit Lorraine's personality, at least
imo. All these are facts that make it not a rational idea at all for Lorraine to kill Sheila. People would notice her disappearance, there's a chance
someone saw Sheila enter Lorraine's house with Rentt, there's no way Rentt would be on board with this, and if they are going to kill people for
discovering Rentt is a monster, than they shouldn't be worrying about Rentt being a monster and having potential homicidal urges in the first place,
aside from blending in.

Bipolar MC
* Another thing would be I think the protagonist's personality changed after episode 2. I got the idea that he was a nice guy whose always
willing to help others. Afterwards he always seemed to be self centered to me. Maybe my view is biased but that's my persepective on it. Its a small
issue seeing as in the end he does generally help people but the contrast just sat in the back of my mind throughout the anime. Ig a good example
to prove how he treated people was that how he acted toward the girl he saved from that skeleton, and the cook/adventure he saved from the
slime. Of course he needed help from the girl, but at the same time his treatment of the cook was a lot more callous imo. This is easily countered
though with Rentt's internal monologue when he learned more about the cook adventurer's debt. Then again, Rentt went ahead and signed that pact
that would force Sheila into slavery. If he was truly just a nice guy, and with what she told him, why didn't he just trust her without signing it and
just show her he's undead? Since I'm now stating what I didn't like about him, I didn't like how Rentt a lot of the time picked up on stuff where
there didn't seem to be any queues, such as the criminal merchant in episode 8, the ambush set in episode 6, and the fact he notices those guild
members in hiding. I think its fun when you can try to guess things in stories based on how certain characters act and whatnot, and I felt like with
how much Rentt knew and monologued it didn't leave much of anything for me to puzzle over. Also I don't understand what he was thinking in
leaving that girl in episode 2 alone. She's an adventurer, and to accept quests Rentt will have to go to the guild. Sooner or later they will come
across each other.

The Dungeons
* Originally in episode 1, it seemed like Rentt was limited to the Labyrinth of the Moon's Reflection. It was told he couldn't form a party with others
because no one was willing to team up with someone as weak as Rentt, so he couldn't go to the more advanced Labyrinth of the New Moon.
However with the cook adventurer in episode 3, the cook adventurer tells Rentt he was advised to go here by himself to gain experience, and Rentt
then thought to himself, "that's only if you're kinda strong". To be honest it kinds of bothers me that no one allegedly wanted to partner with Rentt.
In ep 05 the guild receptionist says "a lot of people learned to be an adventurer from you". Seems odd none would try to help him or let him come
every now and then to the better labyrinth. Rentt in episode 1 acted like most adventurers were poor but it sees easy enough for people to pick up
items that will pay for a few nights in town and whatnot.

The Mysterious Kidnapper
* It felt out of the blue to me and didn't mesh well how they just randomly decided that Rentt was the most likely suspect for the kidnappings of
adventurers. They simply called it the "incident" and " he was accused by adventurers" to being a kidnapper. He does have a shady look to him but
besides for his prowess there's nothing that should have made him a sole suspect for the kidnappings to the guild. You would think there would be
other jobs out there where people could become strong. After all, Lorraine didn't rank up the way adventurers normally do. She got to silver rank by
completing her studies to be a "Great Doctor". One could assume Lorraine has been teaching her "relative" on what an adventurer can expect. Hell,
they could assume he knew Rentt Faina and Rentt Faina had been giving Rentt Vivier tips and whatnot for a while.

* Anyways, Sheila, Lorraine, and Rentt resolve that to absolve Rentt from being considered a kidnapper, he is going to stay out of the labyrinth. I
think that decision makes no sense. If the guild has so many members, Sheila or another guild official should have just assigned someone to tail
Rentt everywhere, in which case going into the dungeon would be fine... although it would be weird for him to go in by himself and completely
destroy monsters so I guess that's the reason, separate from the kidnapping case. Anyways him finding shady quests outside of the guild I don't
think helped him resolve the situation at all. If Rentt leaves the town and no one gets kidnapped while he's gone, that doesn't change anything.
Some people would think that would make it more likely he was the kidnapper. So him leaving town I think is more suspicious than him going to the
labyrinth or taking on quests. Its not like the only quests are in the labyrinth anyways or outside of the town. But anyways he goes on that quest to
the lord of the lake, where there's girls disappearing. One would assume at the guild will sooner or later learn that there was an attempt to kidnap a
bunch of women and that a suspicious masked individual that fits the description of Rentt Vivier was there, altho ofc plot armor came to save the
day. Even if the villagers weren't willing to name or describe the adventurer, the villains are able to.

The Nun, the Rat and the Tarrasque
* Ep 9 tbh wasn't that bad, the main reason I didn't like it was the monster they called the tarrasque. I'm not really into mascot characters so the rat
was not an addition I liked, although its not exactly that big of a deal. I've been getting into Dungeons and Dragons (starting about June last year),
and one of the greatest and most infamous monsters is the tarrasque. The tarrasque though isn't a monster made originally from DND. Its origins
are from a French legend of a dragon fish hybrid that was slain by a saint. I learned this bit of trivia today while looking up stuff about flower
language (I'm thinking of creating a race of parasitic plants. Fun fact, the flower Baby's Breath represents Everlasting Love. It looks nothing like the
Dragonsblood Flower in this anime, which is kinda sad, it would have been cool random piece of trivia to stumble across). Anyways I guess a swamp
monster isn't too off the mark for the Tarrasque, although I imagine the creator of this anime should have known about the DnD's more infamous
Tarrasque so it kind of irks me they made it so easy to kill. Easy maybe isn't the right word, since most people can't use Divinity, but if anything this
Tarrasque is basically an overpowered Shedinja. The issue with the nun bugged me too, at least the part where "if she knew she was sick cause of
divinity she would abandon the orphanage and just wait for death". Wtf

At this point I'm just nitpicking lmao. Usually when I find myself at the stage where I'm hating on everything, its time to drop the anime.
@Triggerfish124

I just read a few of your points and wanted to give you another person's perspective, if that's alright. I don't know if I'm correct but I'm satisfied with my assumptions.

Blacksmith
As I understand, Rentt has been a resident of the town for at least 10 years since he became a bronze class adventurer. Since then, he's made many fairly strong connections with other people, including the blacksmith. So, I believe the blacksmith isn't approaching Rentt as just a customer, but also a regular acquaintance he genuinely cares about. And like the guild receptionist girl, the blacksmith can 'feel' that it's Rentt because his mannerisms are familiar to him. Rentt doesn't want other people to know that he's undead for obvious reasons, so he kept quiet about it. But it seems that the blacksmith wanted to know Rentt's problem, and help. Basically, old Rentt and new Rentt are the same person for the blacksmith, which means that the blacksmith isn't treating Rentt as a new customer. And since Rentt has probably frequented the blacksmith in the past 10 years (and because Rentt has the reputation of being reliable), that's why the blacksmith says that Rentt is his best customer.

Labyrinth map
I understood the labyrinth map (given by that mysterious elf lady in the dungeon room) to have filled up everywhere Rentt has previously traversed in a labyrinth. Including everywhere Rentt has been to in the past 10 years. So, we can assume that Rentt has been to other labyrinths before he died and became undead. And because Rentt is a solo bronze adventure (not very strong but capable enough to get by), that's why he's spent so much more time in the first labyrinth rather than the second one (I assume). I also believe that Rentt, before turning undead, had already explored all of the first labyrinth (until discovering a new passage) because early on the story states that the first dungeon was already mapped out/cleared a while ago, or something like that.

Lord of the Lake
I also think that the story here is kind of ridiculous, but maybe the LN explains it better. Why would you keep practicing a tradition that will most probably ruin the demographics of your village (a small popular with not many young girls, we assume)? Maybe the LN states that the tradition is so important to the village that it's worth dying for, or something like that. (Also, why are they afraid of the lord of the lake when he's probably only living in the lake? Isn't there village far away enough? Maybe they rely on fishing in the lake to survive?)
Anyways, the merchant/bandits I assume aren't going around to every village and tricking them with something like the Lord of the Lake, unless there are many naive villages around. I assume that this is a 'one off thing,' meaning that the merchant saw and opportunity and took it. That's maybe why the village girls who were previously kidnapped remained in a shed on the other side of the lake, because the merchant and his gang were going to take as many girls as possible before running away with their spoils. This seemed to be a short-term occurrence, like spanning a week or a month or something, rather than a year. As for the ship in the lake, I believe it was designed in a way where it's possible to move it across the land. Sort of like how vikings traversed their ships from a river, across land, and to another river (carrying the ships.)
ow + nw = 90-2000s

Mar 9, 1:50 PM
Nov 2021
W3TFT said:
@Triggerfish124

I just read a few of your points and wanted to give you another person's perspective, if that's alright. I don't know if I'm correct but I'm satisfied with my assumptions.

Blacksmith
As I understand, Rentt has been a resident of the town for at least 10 years since he became a bronze class adventurer. Since then, he's made many fairly strong connections with other people, including the blacksmith. So, I believe the blacksmith isn't approaching Rentt as just a customer, but also a regular acquaintance he genuinely cares about. And like the guild receptionist girl, the blacksmith can 'feel' that it's Rentt because his mannerisms are familiar to him. Rentt doesn't want other people to know that he's undead for obvious reasons, so he kept quiet about it. But it seems that the blacksmith wanted to know Rentt's problem, and help. Basically, old Rentt and new Rentt are the same person for the blacksmith, which means that the blacksmith isn't treating Rentt as a new customer. And since Rentt has probably frequented the blacksmith in the past 10 years (and because Rentt has the reputation of being reliable), that's why the blacksmith says that Rentt is his best customer.

Labyrinth map
I understood the labyrinth map (given by that mysterious elf lady in the dungeon room) to have filled up everywhere Rentt has previously traversed in a labyrinth. Including everywhere Rentt has been to in the past 10 years. So, we can assume that Rentt has been to other labyrinths before he died and became undead. And because Rentt is a solo bronze adventure (not very strong but capable enough to get by), that's why he's spent so much more time in the first labyrinth rather than the second one (I assume). I also believe that Rentt, before turning undead, had already explored all of the first labyrinth (until discovering a new passage) because early on the story states that the first dungeon was already mapped out/cleared a while ago, or something like that.

Lord of the Lake
I also think that the story here is kind of ridiculous, but maybe the LN explains it better. Why would you keep practicing a tradition that will most probably ruin the demographics of your village (a small popular with not many young girls, we assume)? Maybe the LN states that the tradition is so important to the village that it's worth dying for, or something like that. (Also, why are they afraid of the lord of the lake when he's probably only living in the lake? Isn't there village far away enough? Maybe they rely on fishing in the lake to survive?)
Anyways, the merchant/bandits I assume aren't going around to every village and tricking them with something like the Lord of the Lake, unless there are many naive villages around. I assume that this is a 'one off thing,' meaning that the merchant saw and opportunity and took it. That's maybe why the village girls who were previously kidnapped remained in a shed on the other side of the lake, because the merchant and his gang were going to take as many girls as possible before running away with their spoils. This seemed to be a short-term occurrence, like spanning a week or a month or something, rather than a year. As for the ship in the lake, I believe it was designed in a way where it's possible to move it across the land. Sort of like how vikings traversed their ships from a river, across land, and to another river (carrying the ships.)

Oh good thinking! Id still have some issues with those things, but I don't want to seem like Im arguing with you lol
Mar 12, 5:31 PM

Mar 2019
Black mouse joined the party.🐀
Mar 13, 4:05 AM
Jun 2019
This anime! my god! it blows me away with every episode! I havent seen something of this level in such a long time <3 the pacing is good, the art is great, the story is intriguing and interesting! The characters are good too and so far their growth is well paced. I can't say enough of how much i like this anime!
Mar 16, 8:22 AM

Feb 2021
Looks like He's gonna fight him :)
- Mal-Badge -

Level 25
Ranked 1135
Last update : 27.02.2022 at 05:50

My Candies :

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Apr 9, 8:52 PM
Jun 2012
A bit lesser in quality than previous episodes. Owing to the fight with the CGI monster.

Still fine overall.

The environment's quality is high as usual.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Most underrated anime this season!

Raptors0verlord - Jan 20

36 by Nifuni »»
May 30, 9:45 AM

Poll: » Nozomanu Fushi no Boukensha Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 22

110 by Osvaldo_2320 »»
May 29, 10:23 PM

» Season 2?

Grimm0123 - Mar 28

12 by Tatsuya »»
May 25, 1:09 AM

» Where to start LN after finishing the anime?

A_silent_Being - Apr 8

7 by Vyrim »»
May 16, 5:53 PM

Poll: » Nozomanu Fushi no Boukensha Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 15

50 by gophercg »»
Apr 29, 12:21 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.