Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Magia Record: Puella Magi Madoka Magica Side Story
Available on Manga Store
New
Feb 4, 8:56 AM
Apr 2018
I might watch it just for completion status but if all I care about it the main story, do I even need to watch this?
Feb 4, 9:14 AM
Jun 2023
Nah, it's not relevant to the main story. it's shit anyways so there is no reason to watch this spin-off.
Feb 4, 9:18 AM

Sep 2016
No, it's a side story so not necessary.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Feb 4, 9:29 AM

Jul 2015
Nope. It is just a side story. One of the many timelines during which Hormura tries and fails to save Madoka.
You can completely skip it, especially since it is inferior in every aspect to original.
PiromyslFeb 4, 12:00 PM

Feb 4, 11:40 AM
Feb 2021
It's far far below the original in terms of writing, confusing and overcrowded with too similar characters. There's some beautiful Shaft visuals but apart from that it's not even good
Feb 4, 12:54 PM
Apr 2021
^^ just here to second all these answers, definitely not necessary watching. In fact if you’re a fan I recommend you don’t even touch magia record, really convoluted waste of time for an anime.
Feb 4, 1:13 PM
Jan 2023
I disagree with what most people are saying I think it's good and enjoyable but no it's not relevant to the main story but there is a bit of the main cast towards the end and a pretty cool scene when you get to see that Sayaka could have been a fair bit stronger than what we saw in the main timeline
Feb 4, 2:51 PM

Sep 2020
Nope, it's an alternative story/timeline.

A pretty bad one at that
Nino is the objectively superior one, don't @ me
Feb 4, 4:12 PM
Mar 2021
It's true that this is a spinoff to the main, and not necessary for the main plot.

That being said, I feel the people saying it's garbage are being too harsh. If you're interested in the world of madoka magica, this show explores other parts of it, and has new characters, concepts, and abilities. I'd recommend at least giving it a try for fans of the main series, although I will agree the main series is generally much better than the spin off.
Feb 4, 5:11 PM
Oct 2015
Definitely not necessary but I second the fact that people are being too harsh on it. It's quite good for a show based on a mobile game lol. If you like the Shaft aesthetic, especially the trippy sequences from the original Madoka Magica (which are all over this one), you'll appreciate the production. Just be aware there's a decent amount of mellow drama in the story.
Feb 4, 11:31 PM
Jan 2021
No, but it is super good. The reason why people say it’s bad is because usually people don’t like anime that doesn’t concern the main cast. Any spin-offs out there people are going to hate it for that sole reason.

It’s super good, I don’t care what anybody says. I think if you like the IP, then you may enjoy this. I enjoyed this as much as the main series.

That being said, it’s not a must watch.
The right mindset when watching an anime is hoping that it will break your top 10
Feb 5, 2:14 AM

Aug 2014
no but it's not a bad show like people are claiming. I liked it.
Slimes say "Goo'd day".
Feb 5, 7:03 PM
Apr 2023
if you liked the orignal then you should watch it. Madoka magica is one of my favs but i ignored magia record for years seeing how it's so low rated. but it's surprisingly good. and when i checked the reviews why it's so low rated people think it's a stand alone lmao, they didn't watch Madoka magica. so if you loved the original then watch
Feb 5, 7:09 PM

May 2020
Just in the first few episodes alone...

No proper transition of scenes...

Too many characters introduced all at ones...

Added concepts that doesnt even need to be there...

Too many problems when you dont have Gen as the writer...

" Kindness can sometimes lead you to trouble. "

Feb 11, 9:36 PM
Jan 2023
it's start off okay and just gets progressively worse, not worth your time really.
May 10, 10:16 AM
Dec 2018
It's only bad if you haven't watched Madoka Magica already. Magia Record is hard to comprehend if you don't do your own research. Don't let the ratings fool you, the series is easily 7.5+ but rated much below because Madoka Magica fans are either dead or too bitter that this came before the next Madoka Magica movie. The fact that it has to live upto one of the greatest shows of all times worsens its popularity. The series manages to offend hardcore Madoka Magica fans and Magia Record RPG players because it's just not something they wanted.

For other people, it's a good watch.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Magia Record: Mahou Shoujo Madoka☆Magica Gaiden (TV) Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 28, 2020

258 by Biisoo »»
Apr 24, 3:09 PM

Poll: » Magia Record: Mahou Shoujo Madoka☆Magica Gaiden (TV) Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jan 4, 2020

237 by Biisoo »»
Apr 17, 11:00 AM

Poll: » Magia Record: Mahou Shoujo Madoka☆Magica Gaiden (TV) Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 7, 2020

108 by Hilel1982014h »»
Jan 16, 7:42 AM

» This is quite funny

official_brown - Jun 10, 2022

16 by jedman »»
Jul 5, 2023 3:05 AM

Poll: » Magia Record: Mahou Shoujo Madoka☆Magica Gaiden (TV) Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 1, 2020

136 by HimeCrycho »»
Jun 18, 2023 2:19 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.