Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jan 8, 2023 4:39 AM

Jun 2011
This show has incredibly good world building and pacing in just one episode. I was thoroughly hooked throughout, and wanted more when it ended.

Definitely one to keep an eye out for the rest of the season, for anyone wondering if they should check it.

Also, the little cat like Loli is adorable.
Jan 8, 2023 5:16 AM
Mar 2012
unsure about these oldschool designs mixed with Granblue generic rpg stuff. Basically Kumi like Lyria, Myaa like Siero, Jiro as Gran or Katalina.
Great music throughout tho.
That's a courteous foodie prisoner.
cat puns going 200%
Boar with borers called whopper, and the headless titan are certainly some unusual monster designs.
Jirou animation suddenly good.
Jan 8, 2023 9:20 AM

Dec 2016
…Cold open…

Hey, those two characters seem really cool.

..OP…

Hmm. No sign of them…

…Title card - 30 years later…

Womp womp. Oh wells. So much for the interesting adult characters. Cut to magical and meowy children. 

All aside, enough here to get me a bit hooked.  Setting's not bad, and maybe there’s some political intrigue coming in addition to all the monsters. Seems worth sticking around to see where this all goes.  
Jan 8, 2023 2:05 PM

Aug 2010
whaddahell was the Meownyan singing "Mewohappy birthday" over tha wall watching them  XDDDD 

>Quotes from AoB <
There is again! The ultimate technique: "It's all his fault, not mine!"
Goddess, High Bishop, you sure are popular!
まんが きけん      むがく -> Manga wa kikenjyanai, kedo mugaku desu.
漫画は危険じゃない、けど無学です。
-> Manga isn't dangerous, but ignorance it is.
Benno frowned as I finished listing off all the reasons why I didn't want to give the books leather covers.
Jan 8, 2023 2:21 PM

Aug 2010
Tacsk0 said:
What do you attack at the end of the Titans? Do you have time to create a copycat? Will you save us from production hell?
copycat! hehehe so funny 😂  yeah! there have over thousand copycat manganimes, once one made some difference ... there will always be 10 to 100 copycat’s  after it.

>Quotes from AoB <
There is again! The ultimate technique: "It's all his fault, not mine!"
Goddess, High Bishop, you sure are popular!
まんが きけん      むがく -> Manga wa kikenjyanai, kedo mugaku desu.
漫画は危険じゃない、けど無学です。
-> Manga isn't dangerous, but ignorance it is.
Benno frowned as I finished listing off all the reasons why I didn't want to give the books leather covers.
Jan 8, 2023 8:49 PM
Jan 2017
Pretty good so far. Animation above average. I like the multiple scenes giving pieces of the overall story. And also giving a quick summary of what the world is like.
Jan 9, 2023 1:15 AM
Dec 2017
>> What do you attack at the end of the Titans? Do you have time to create a copycat? Will you save us from production hell?
>
> copycat! hehehe so funny

You don't get it. I was referring to the marked similarity of this anime's ep1 to both AoT and an older anime series / lightnovel known as WorldEnd in english (What do you do at the end of the world? Do you have time? Will you save us?) or SukaSuka in the japanese original (Shuumatsu nani shitemasuka Isogashii desuka Sukutte moratte ii desuka).
Jan 9, 2023 6:58 AM

Feb 2022
So far a basic fantasy anime. 
It raised many questions and answered little so it could get pretty exciting for later episodes.
Jan 9, 2023 11:20 AM
Dec 2022
confusing but watchable.
Jan 9, 2023 10:44 PM
Mar 2019
I feel like I'm taking crazy pills or something. everyone keeps praising the animation, but it's clearly awful. The opening is typically peak budget art of a show, as it's shown for every episode. They used a lot of scooby doo repeating animations, on the opening! lots of mostly static shots with nothing moving. when the two guys were sword fighting and lunged at each other, they just slid diagonally towards each other and their swords touched and it makes a clash sound, nothing much actually animated. the OPENING was full of lazy animation, that was already a bad sign.

I couldn't even make it 10 minutes in! the scenes often hide the character's mouth to avoid animating them, sometimes in goofy ways, and when the mouths do move, it's just a simple sloppy repeating animation, regardless of how the mouth shape should be for what they're saying, or even trying to match what they're saying, just lips flapping as sound is produced.

most animations shows were from the front (character facing the screen or background exactly), or from a flat perspective perpendicular to the viewer. no dynamic angles, no fun perspectives, just a flat view of things.

drunk guy on the ship when the guards were chasing the girl and met him, he doesn't move at all, just an arm slides up from behind his body, and the soldiers just powerpoint across the screen back and force.

the girl jumps on the ships, and they just statically dip, with the water completely static.

I haven't seen animation this poor in a while. there are some lazy ones this season, like the harry potter anime, but this one really takes the cake.

and unfortunately, the opening is very indicative of what to expect going forward.

like people saying the animation is great? what have you been watching until now? south park? I'd say that south park's animation trumps this anime anyway.

Things are drawn pretty. the girl is very pretty, the scenery is pretty. the animation though?
Jan 9, 2023 10:45 PM
Mar 2019
ReePoopsi said:
Its too early to say anything but that the quality was great compared to anything I have watched this season thus far.

what on earth are you watching this season and what quality are you referring to?
Jan 9, 2023 11:01 PM
Mar 2019
Dreadogastus_F said:
Pretty good so far. Animation above average. I like the multiple scenes giving pieces of the overall story. And also giving a quick summary of what the world is like.

The average must be pretty low then, I didn't see anything with animation worth praising. the best animations where mediocre at best.
Jan 10, 2023 2:21 AM

Nov 2019
This shit got disrupted by the unnecessary teaser about the inner affairs of something Empire. Nohonjin should have spent those 2 minutes to make the action sequences more fluid and enhance the tension with a slower progression. Such piece of uninformative information could be saved for the following episode.
SgtBateManJan 10, 2023 2:37 AM
Help! I need somebody. Help! Not just anybody. Help! You know I need someone. Helpppppp!

Jan 10, 2023 3:57 AM

Jun 2013
Alright that was surprisingly good, although I hope it gets more bloody or add a little gore
Jan 10, 2023 1:57 PM

Nov 2009
Huh...

It's like futuristic yet not version of Attack on Titan but replace the Titan with Monsters... and has magic. LOL

Not to mention the Title is literally using the the same style as AoT... lol...

___ ___ ___

I sorta dropped AoT half way into season 1 cause it got too weird for me.

But this series looks a lot more interesting, maybe cause of the Fantasy aspects in it.

Even tho most of the setting is almost 1:1 of AoT... lol, the town, the special humans vs monsters, the secret/ evil organizations behind the scene, etc etc.
___ ___ ___

NYAA~~  (reminds me of cat merchants in some Gacha games... lol)
amlgJan 10, 2023 2:08 PM
Nothing Written Here But Us Anime Bunnies *boing boing boing*
Jan 10, 2023 4:04 PM
Jul 2020
wow! a very good first epi!! I hesitated before trying it, but seriously, it's worth it! First, the animation is superb! The story begins well; we have a strange girl, a super powerful old 'soldier', an old legend and royalty who seem to be doing anything! A great start, the story follows well and is captivating!
Jan 10, 2023 8:20 PM

Dec 2018
really goofy start but it was lots of fun and i'm intrigued. also i like the cat girl. they really shoved a lot of world building into this one huh?
Jan 11, 2023 10:55 AM

Mar 2014
It's not bad so I hope this will be good
Jan 12, 2023 9:46 AM

Apr 2011
I so, so desperately want this to be a game. Please make this into a game.

A very good first episode, probably my favorite with Revenger and Tomo so far. There were one or two nitpicks, but that's all they were, nitpicks. Let's see where this goes.
Jan 13, 2023 6:34 PM

Aug 2022
A pretty decent episode. The premise is interesting. Honeslty it's better than I expected.
Jan 15, 2023 2:47 AM

Aug 2014
Solid episode. THis show shows promises
Check My AnimeList (or click my signature)
My Main Genres: Adventure, Action, Fantasy
My Sub Genres: Slice of Life, Comedy, H&E

Check My Profile, my ranking
What I Watch This Season
Best Character & WAIFU This Season
Best OP/ED Song This Season
Jan 15, 2023 9:44 AM

Jan 2022
I knew nothing about this anime before I started watching it. It was a complete whim. I think this is going to be good! Interesting first episode though. I don't know how I feel about not knowing anything about the characters other than the little girl (sort of)
This never updates so that's cool
Jan 18, 2023 1:28 PM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
The end of the episode has certainly piqued my interest. Will give it at least 3 episodes watched

NYANPASU
5700XT

Feb 4, 2023 5:22 AM
Nov 2011
A lot of show and not much tell, not an isekai feels more like fantasy, but some of the scenes are very well drawn. Could be a hit, could be a bust. need more input.
Be thankful for those you have near who are dear
For time is not always kind to those who would be on your mind
Seize the day, some exclaim, but that which is past, no more shall have its day.
Feb 13, 2023 3:48 PM
Apr 2012
inconsistent drawing style at first, then seems to settle on a mix between everything, lots of influence of Ghibli, overall tends in the same direction as the pirate princess/kaizoku oujo, but less well animated. well, to be fair, Kaizoku was mostly 3D.
story is intriguing, characters likable. but story is also a bit chaotic and they introduce too many characters in the first episode, way too many. and too many plot points.

update: ep2 - dropping it at that point, the story telling is not good.
TiavorFeb 14, 2023 11:55 AM
Feb 21, 2023 12:16 AM
Aug 2022
It's not bad. it's not good either. I like the scene where she had a sword in between her booba. 7/10
Apr 11, 2023 7:25 PM

Mar 2013
Great 1st episode, I will just ignore the score MAL has for this series, FOR NOW!

The score will always be weird because the masses are weird... 😏 (I'm probably one of that)

The purring girl is annoying for some reason.

A deadbeat dude just living his life because he lost someone dear to him in the past 30 years ago.

A girl which has an unknown origin and being called as a prototype.

And lastly, something like a leader of a cult where he is probably a leader of a project who experiments something.

Interesting episode if I might say so myself.

P.S. I like that concept where the girl suddenly becomes your magical weapon or something...
CrazyButNot4UApr 11, 2023 9:32 PM
It's not that I dislike this genre but... to add unnecessary fan services to/in/for heroines
and ultimately destroys her character and personality; their purity tarnished because of it,
is the only thing I hope to not happen to them. For that sole purity is my fan service.
Dec 8, 2023 5:38 AM

Oct 2018
I expected the fight to be the last segment of the episode ngl, pretty average so far.
Feb 17, 5:17 AM
Apr 2020
fun little adventure, interesting start, decent animation bit nostagic
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ars no Kyojuu Episode 8 Discussion

Stark700 - Feb 24, 2023

26 by Thrive2Mix »»
Dec 31, 2023 5:48 AM

» Cat related puns in subtitling

AnthAnilist - Apr 21, 2023

7 by autumn_sky96 »»
Dec 30, 2023 8:58 AM

Poll: » Ars no Kyojuu Episode 2 Discussion

Stark700 - Jan 13, 2023

39 by Etherius_ZS »»
Dec 8, 2023 5:40 AM

Poll: » Ars no Kyojuu Episode 12 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 24, 2023

48 by bastek66 »»
Jul 3, 2023 9:43 AM

Poll: » Ars no Kyojuu Episode 9 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 3, 2023

18 by vemz21 »»
Jun 14, 2023 10:11 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.