Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jan 3, 2023 6:55 PM
Jun 2021
Throughout the show, whenever "Yhwach" is said it is pronounced "Yuhabahha" and the katakana for his name is "ユーハバッハ", as in "yuu ha ba hha" so how come the English way of spelling it is Yhwach?
Jan 3, 2023 7:04 PM
Feb 2021
Because 'Yhwach' is a german name and the proper pronunciation for it in german is 'Yuhabaha'
Jan 3, 2023 7:17 PM
May 2021
First of all, romanization doesn’t imply it’s english, it’s converting text to latin script. As others have said, it’s a mix between german which is the whole wandenreich theme and hebrew which is where the name originates from.
Jan 3, 2023 7:28 PM

Jan 2023
Ychwach is one of the anime coolest names ever ngl. It sounds so ancient and wise. Like an actual name of a God.

Jan 3, 2023 8:14 PM
Jul 2021
It's a really cool and unique name, I must say.
Jan 3, 2023 8:23 PM

Oct 2012
SyniclLua said:
Throughout the show, whenever "Yhwach" is said it is pronounced "Yuhabahha" and the katakana for his name is "ユーハバッハ", as in "yuu ha ba hha" so how come the English way of spelling it is Yhwach?

That's the official spelling. And also he's inspired from how the Jewish call God
Jan 3, 2023 8:35 PM

Aug 2020
Kubo probably wanted to make a name similar to Yahweh for thematic purposes.
Keep scrolling
Jan 3, 2023 8:50 PM

Aug 2019
It caused a lot of confusion among people that I saw reacting to the anime, who thought that the subtitles for his name were wrong. I honestly wish that Viz had translated it phonetically in the manga just for the sake of simplicity.
Jan 3, 2023 8:52 PM
Jul 2018
SyniclLua said:

sound cool...and
good
Jan 4, 2023 1:18 AM
Jan 2021
SyniclLua said:

I have a theory. My memory is blurry so it could be total BS. In my memory after the fight against Ichibei, Yhwach started pronouncing his name Yuha-bach instead of Yuhabahha (sharp "h" and no "a" at the end). We can hear that pronounciation in Bleach Brave Souls. It could be because his real name was deleted in the past and so he had to use a different pronounciation.
Jan 4, 2023 2:29 AM

Oct 2007
AryanSawant said:
Because 'Yhwach' is a german name and the proper pronunciation for it in german is 'Yuhabaha'
No that's totally wrong. The German pronounciation would be "Üwach".
Jan 4, 2023 2:50 AM
Sep 2021
no idea but one thing I do know is that it can't be pronounced yhwach in Japanese anyway. closest you could get would be yawachi or yawaku seeing as there's no singular letters in the japanese alphabet for "y" "h" and "ch" in this case
FenyyJan 4, 2023 2:53 AM
Jan 4, 2023 9:31 AM

Aug 2020
Hebrew german name with japanese ideograms.

Jan 4, 2023 9:53 AM

Jun 2016
WretchedCreature said:
Ychwach is one of the anime coolest names ever ngl. It sounds so ancient and wise. Like an actual name of a God.

Never liked it. Looks like broken Welsh.
Yes I know it's not Welsh.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Jan 4, 2023 9:53 AM
Sep 2021
SyniclLua said:

All the sternritters have german ability names so his name is german along with the german theme of the group
Jan 4, 2023 11:50 AM

Apr 2020
I'm pretty sure Kubo wanted to name him either YHWH or Yahweh before someone at Jump saw the potential shitstorm and told him "yeah no, that's not happening, change it up a bit".

Kinda like how Kouta Hirano can't reveal the name of the main antagonist in Drifters even after dropping hints to his identity that are so obvious they are not hints anymore.
Jan 4, 2023 4:24 PM
Jan 2023
Menternor said:
I'm pretty sure Kubo wanted to name him either YHWH or Yahweh before someone at Jump saw the potential shitstorm and told him "yeah no, that's not happening, change it up a bit".

Kinda like how Kouta Hirano can't reveal the name of the main antagonist in Drifters even after dropping hints to his identity that are so obvious they are not hints anymore.
Bro what? You do realise none of the names you suggested can be pronounced in Japanese…  first of all “YHWH” literally no letter there is in the alphabet unless you want to say something like YAHUWAHU.. there’s no singular ‘y’ ‘h’ ‘w’ in their alphabet and second of all… you may have gotten ‘ya’ right in ‘Yahweh’ but again, it’s impossible to say given that there’s no singular ‘h’ nor ‘we’ or ‘w’ for that matter and there’s definitely no ‘eh’… please do your research before commenting bro.. you look like a fool
Jan 4, 2023 5:01 PM

Apr 2020
Razvanslyboutiki said:
Menternor said:

Bro what? You do realise none of the names you suggested can be pronounced in Japanese…  first of all “YHWH” literally no letter there is in the alphabet unless you want to say something like YAHUWAHU.. there’s no singular ‘y’ ‘h’ ‘w’ in their alphabet and second of all… you may have gotten ‘ya’ right in ‘Yahweh’ but again, it’s impossible to say given that there’s no singular ‘h’ nor ‘we’ or ‘w’ for that matter and there’s definitely no ‘eh’… please do your research before commenting bro.. you look like a fool

Kubo called him ユーハバッハ  

Funny thing about the letters YHWH? In German, the language primarily used by the Quincies, Y can be read as the japanese ユ when it starts a word. Not common, but it's there. H by itself in German is pronounced/called "Ha", so just like the japanese ハ. W is pronounced "veh", closest thing in japanese would be べ, but as I said, it could have been changed not to create a shitstorm.

Something else.

So, what research did you do?
Jan 4, 2023 11:35 PM
May 2021
I see this anime have a very high hype all over sosmed and I am really interested to watch but I haven't watch the bleach series before, so can I enjoy watching this but still catch up with the story?
Anyone can answer me?
Jan 5, 2023 2:04 AM
Apr 2021
AryanSawant said:

As a german speaker, you missed the target completely
Jan 5, 2023 2:06 AM
Apr 2021
Jeky_Saragih said:
I see this anime have a very high hype all over sosmed and I am really interested to watch but I haven't watch the bleach series before, so can I enjoy watching this but still catch up with the story?
Anyone can answer me?

It would be a bad idea to watch it like that
Jan 5, 2023 4:54 AM
Aug 2020
Jeky_Saragih said:
Anyone can answer me?

Not really, it starts right where it left without any recapitulation. I only watched the first arc of bleach (soul society rescue) and had to sit through a 2hr video telling all the story and important facts ignoring the filler material after watching the first episode, because I thought the same as you and didnt understand anything haha
Jan 7, 2023 3:22 PM
GetsugaTENSHO

Jul 2012
lol Yuhabaha

I though it would be Yu WOCK
張大です for 張大勇督察
Jan 8, 2023 2:51 AM

Oct 2013
Menternor said:

Yup, that's the most logical explanation. I haven't checked whether it was exactly how you described it, but everything indicates that Yhwach's name was based on tetragram YHWH, which is the Hebrew Tetragram, or to put it simply four-letter theonym, describing the God (Yahweh) in the Hebrew Bible.

One could say that it could've been a coincidence, however, if we add to it the information you have spoiler tagged, then we can clearly see that it's highly possible to connect Yhwach (Bleach) to Yahweh (Hebrew Bible).

What I'm curious about is whether it was ever discussed in any interview by Kubo-sensei or his editors? Or even officially confirmed?

Too bad that some angry Bleach fans have already jumped on you. I know the feeling, because apparently quoting Kubo-sensei when talking about Bleach as a work of art might anger some Bleach fans. Dunno why. It's bad when a fan hates their favorite manga's mangaka.
Jan 8, 2023 10:41 AM
Jan 2016
V17ORED said:
Prolly because it’s a Hebrew name translated to Japanese then German

in the end, it's the jews
Jan 9, 2023 12:17 PM

Apr 2020
Adnash said:
Menternor said:

Yup, that's the most logical explanation. I haven't checked whether it was exactly how you described it, but everything indicates that Yhwach's name was based on tetragram YHWH, which is the Hebrew Tetragram, or to put it simply four-letter theonym, describing the God (Yahweh) in the Hebrew Bible.

One could say that it could've been a coincidence, however, if we add to it the information you have spoiler tagged, then we can clearly see that it's highly possible to connect Yhwach (Bleach) to Yahweh (Hebrew Bible).

What I'm curious about is whether it was ever discussed in any interview by Kubo-sensei or his editors? Or even officially confirmed?

Too bad that some angry Bleach fans have already jumped on you. I know the feeling, because apparently quoting Kubo-sensei when talking about Bleach as a work of art might anger some Bleach fans. Dunno why. It's bad when a fan hates their favorite manga's mangaka.

Haha, don't worry man.
Some alt-accounter with the barest grasp of how Japanese works and no awareness whatsoever of the German language won't ryle me up with their half assed attempt at looking smart.

There's actually even more details in the character's lore that connects him with the abrahamic god, but that would go into even more spoilers, so I'll just leave it at that.
Feb 15, 2023 10:02 PM

Oct 2008
I mean English is written in one way and pronounced in a different way. So why not, plus I like the pronunciation and don't think I would have liked it as much if it was pronounced, the same way it was written.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Bleach: Sennen Kessen-hen Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 24, 2022

413 by Tastyt »»
May 27, 8:59 PM

Poll: » Bleach: Sennen Kessen-hen Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Dec 26, 2022

582 by phantom346 »»
May 27, 12:14 PM

Poll: » Bleach: Sennen Kessen-hen Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 17, 2022

603 by phantom346 »»
May 21, 6:32 PM

Poll: » Bleach: Sennen Kessen-hen Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

k11chi - Oct 9, 2022

1853 by phantom346 »»
May 21, 5:16 PM

Poll: » Bleach: Sennen Kessen-hen Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Nov 14, 2022

694 by Listone »»
Mar 25, 1:21 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.